Winchester 94 action question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cheyenne
Levergunner

Winchester 94 action question

Post by Cheyenne »

Hi guys,

I just retrofitted my Winchester 94ae with a half cock hammer and trigger group. I haven't used a original action Winchester 94 before, so I just want to check that everything's working as it should.

The trigger is pretty/very floppy, but it's functioning, so I understand that that's probably normal. My concern is the hammer. With the hammer fully down, when I begin to cycle the action and the locking block falls, the hammer rides forward and fills the space vacated by the locking lug, contacting the bolt. It just feels different than before, with the rebounding hammer, but I guess that's the point of the conversion. I just want to make sure that this is normal and I'm not missing something.

Half cock works, full cock works, trigger works, lever safety works, it seems drop safe, etc. The whole gun is functioning properly, it's just the initial forward movement of the hammer that I want to make sure is normal.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester 94 action question

Post by J Miller »

Cheyenne,

The floppy trigger is normal to the post 64s. A bit annoying to some, but not a problem functionally.

The hammer moving forward after lowering the lever is due to a change to the little cross brace in the receiver that sits directly in front of the hammer. It was shortened to allow the trigger block parts to fit. In the pic below you can see the difference between the half cock action ( white wire pointing to it ) on the left, and the rebounding action on the right.
BTB-Pic-I.jpg
(NOTE: although copyrighted by Beartooth Bullets, the pic is mine. There is a tech article I did over there about this, but I've lost the link to it. )
I have 1000's of rounds through my 1985 vintage trapper and have had zero problems because of this.

Hope this helps.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Mine are the same way.

:wink:
Cheyenne
Levergunner

Post by Cheyenne »

Thank you for your help! I think I'll stop worrying and just shoot it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cheyenne wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:52 am Thank you for your help! I think I'll stop worrying and just shoot it.
+1 :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "