New Revolver I Picked Up 1851 RM Conversion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

New Revolver I Picked Up 1851 RM Conversion

Post by Rube Burrows »

Not a lever gun but I know that the good people here can appreciate a good revolver also.

I have always loved the look and feel of Colt's early cap and ball revolvers. I have a couple 1851 replicas and shoot them from time to time but wanted to pick up a cartridge conversion also for when I don't want to fool with the hassles of black powder. It is likely though that I will still run some bp loads through this one as well.

Some of you here may have a real one or two put back but for me the replicas will have to do for now.

Here is my Uberti made Cimarron 1851 Richards-Mason Cartridge Conversion in .38spl with 7.5" barrel.

In my opinion its a beautifully made revolver with excellent fit and finish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: New Revolver I Picked Up 1851 RM Conversion

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to have a Uberti 1851 but just cap n ball, great gun for getting the uninitiated into black powder shooting. Last night I watched The Good the Bad and the Ugly they were loading their Navy Colts with cartridges but the guns still had loading levers, I didn't get a good enough look at them to see what sort of a conversion they used.
Rube, I know you're going to get a lot of fun out of yours :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:24 am I used to have a Uberti 1851 but just cap n ball, great gun for getting the uninitiated into black powder shooting. Last night I watched The Good the Bad and the Ugly they were loading their Navy Colts with cartridges but the guns still had loading levers, I didn't get a good enough look at them to see what sort of a conversion they used.
Rube, I know you're going to get a lot of fun out of yours :mrgreen:

I'd have to go back and watch the movie but they were prob. just using the conversion cylinders. I know Clint used a conversion cylinder in his Remington.

I have a pair of 51 Navies in .44 black powder and love the way the 51s feel a point. That is why I really wanted a conversion of the 51. I struggled with the idea of getting a different model so I could get it in my favorite caliber which is 45 Colt but ended up giving the .38spl a try so I could stay with the 51.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Here in the UK I could still buy cap n ball revolvers, just a couple more hoops to jump through but then they are still restricted to where they can be legally used :roll: the conversion to metallic cartridges however is a no go here... :evil: the last open top revolver I had was the little 1849 pocket model by Uberti, I had to be careful what I shot it at as the little .31 balls bounced back nearly as fast as they came out the barrel.. :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 am Here in the UK I could still buy cap n ball revolvers, just a couple more hoops to jump through but then they are still restricted to where they can be legally used :roll: the conversion to metallic cartridges however is a no go here... :evil: the last open top revolver I had was the little 1849 pocket model by Uberti, I had to be careful what I shot it at as the little .31 balls bounced back nearly as fast as they came out the barrel.. :lol:
Shame you can't get to enjoy the metallic cartridge conversions. I have not had any problems with my lead bouncing back at me in my bp revolvers. The lead is usually soft enough that it don't come back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have the 1860 Army 44 with the Kirst Converter in 45 Colt. Love it. But I really appreciate the handling of the Navies. Nothing points better.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

M. M. Wright wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:48 am I have the 1860 Army 44 with the Kirst Converter in 45 Colt. Love it. But I really appreciate the handling of the Navies. Nothing points better.
I want to get my hand on one of those at some point. The 1860 Army has a larger grip and I am not sure if I would like it better or prefer the Navy since I have not tried one out.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My Navies were fine but that little 49 pocket pistol didn't hold enough powder to flatten a pea.... :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice. I want to get one with the loading gate some day. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:04 pm Very nice. I want to get one with the loading gate some day. 8)
For sure. I almost decided to just add the conversion cylinders to my 1851s currently in my collection but decided if I was going to do it I might as well have the ease of the loading gate also.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! The 51 definitely has a feel. Nothing like it.

I borrowed a 51 conversion from a friend when my youngest son was in 5th grade. He had done a book report on a guy in the Civil War and was tasked with making a video.
We used to like "pushing the envelope" with schools, so I loaded up some 38 blanks for the 51. My son wanted to re-enact a scene where an opponent jumped from cover and the main character shot him with his Colt.
We got his older brother to volunteer and I filmed as the kid "shot" his brother with the 51. The school loved that! :D
But he did what was asked, and did it well so they grudgingly gave him a B plus. Good times.
Every time I hear mention of a 51 conversion, it takes me back. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

OldWin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:57 pm Nice! The 51 definitely has a feel. Nothing like it.

I borrowed a 51 conversion from a friend when my youngest son was in 5th grade. He had done a book report on a guy in the Civil War and was tasked with making a video.
We used to like "pushing the envelope" with schools, so I loaded up some 38 blanks for the 51. My son wanted to re-enact a scene where an opponent jumped from cover and the main character shot him with his Colt.
We got his older brother to volunteer and I filmed as the kid "shot" his brother with the 51. The school loved that! :D
But he did what was asked, and did it well so they grudgingly gave him a B plus. Good times.
That sounds interesting.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:07 am
OldWin wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:57 pm Nice! The 51 definitely has a feel. Nothing like it.

That sounds interesting.
We had fun.
And in spite of the fact the schools thought I should be arrested, our three boys are productive members of society with not a traffic ticket between them. Go figger?
We started em young.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:23 am
Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:07 am

That sounds interesting.
We had fun.
And in spite of the fact the schools thought I should be arrested, our three boys are productive members of society with not a traffic ticket between them. Go figger?
We started em young.

I was the same way. I started both of my sons young. At nine years old my oldest son was winning cowboy action matches and placing higher than lots of grown men and women. He was also placing very high in skeet/trap comps.

My 7 year old has been hunting, shooting and fishing since he was 3 and knows more about guns than most kids his age including how to handle them safely. He has been sponsored by fishing and hunting companies and won his first ever fishing rodeo and has taken more game than lots of kids his age.

I think they are being raised the right way. They are respectful and enjoy the shooting sports. I would trust them anywhere. I feel letting them learn responsibility early on is a great tool later in life.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Quote:
I think they are being raised the right way. They are respectful and enjoy the shooting sports. I would trust them anywhere. I feel letting them learn responsibility early on is a great tool later in life. Quote:

I couldn't agree more Rube, my son was born with a shotgun cartridge in his hand, the midwife gave me a funny look but I said " it's better than a silver spoon" he has been shooting and hunting all his life and apart from stealing all my guns he is a credit to his mom and pa.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:17 am Quote:
I think they are being raised the right way. They are respectful and enjoy the shooting sports. I would trust them anywhere. I feel letting them learn responsibility early on is a great tool later in life. Quote:

I couldn't agree more Rube, my son was born with a shotgun cartridge in his hand, the midwife gave me a funny look but I said " it's better than a silver spoon" he has been shooting and hunting all his life and apart from stealing all my guns he is a credit to his mom and pa.

I also get the last part of your post too. Somehow I buy all the guns but own less and less each day.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Excellent guys! I did the same. You will never convince me that it doesn't build character and responsibility at a young age.
I bought a Red Ryder while my wife was pregnant. When my son was old enough to lift it empty, I would give it to him as we walked the property. By the time he was three, he understood muzzle control and safe handling to the point that it was second nature.
Guns are a fact of life here. They were all over the place so there was really no choice if they were to be safe in the house.
To this day, my three sons and I shoot together and stay in contact over guns, hunting, and shooting.

Sorry for the thread drift. It's some of why the 1851 RM conversion is special to me. :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

those conversions are so much fun....I have one just like yours and it is amazingly accurate, will out shoot most of the rest of my 38s and 357s !
cable
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

hfcable wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:22 pm those conversions are so much fun....I have one just like yours and it is amazingly accurate, will out shoot most of the rest of my 38s and 357s !

Good to know. I was hoping to get out and shoot it today but I am still working so I doubt it will happen today. I will just load up some more bullets for it tonight.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I always liked the lines of the RM conversion - particularly with the longer barrel.

And with Uberti's Charcoal Blue finish. Not so durable perhaps, but a very pretty
revolver.

-Stretch
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Neat pistol Rube. I always liked the looks of the 71 open top Colt's. Is it one that came from the factory in the conversion style or was it converted by a smith later.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:25 pm
hfcable wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:22 pm those conversions are so much fun....I have one just like yours and it is amazingly accurate, will out shoot most of the rest of my 38s and 357s !

Good to know. I was hoping to get out and shoot it today but I am still working so I doubt it will happen today. I will just load up some more bullets for it tonight.
Actually ridiculously accurate; way out of proportion to what they cost and how they are made (no solid frame). I have one like yours but with a 4 5/8 barrel. I have a shooting tree (three on each side and you try to get them all on one side) and I beat my three friends with Glocks and 1911s. The brass cone for a front sight does make you aim a little low but not a lot. My 8" RM in 44 Colt out shoots (and to point of aim) my Freedom arms M97 in 44 sp. Considering the near 5 times price disparity, you can imagine how that busts my chops. My 51 did have some ( .003 )variation in chamber throats so I load HBWC seated out about 1/4 " to engage the the chamber throat. That solved the original minor accuracy issues to none at all. Also have a Type II 44 Colt and it shoots great also. I plan to dovetail a front sight for the 51 and then I think it will be crazy accurate.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Congratulations! That is one of the most beautiful and elegant production firearms ever made. It just looks like it was made to point. Enjoy.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

hondo1892 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:40 pm Neat pistol Rube. I always liked the looks of the 71 open top Colt's. Is it one that came from the factory in the conversion style or was it converted by a smith later.
It came from the factory converted. Got it from Cimarron out of Texas.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

stretch wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:16 pm I always liked the lines of the RM conversion - particularly with the longer barrel.

And with Uberti's Charcoal Blue finish. Not so durable perhaps, but a very pretty
revolver.

-Stretch

Agreed. They also wear nice after some good honest use.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Leverluver wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 am
Rube Burrows wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:25 pm

Actually ridiculously accurate; way out of proportion to what they cost and how they are made (no solid frame). I have one like yours but with a 4 5/8 barrel. I have a shooting tree (three on each side and you try to get them all on one side) and I beat my three friends with Glocks and 1911s. The brass cone for a front sight does make you aim a little low but not a lot. My 8" RM in 44 Colt out shoots (and to point of aim) my Freedom arms M97 in 44 sp. Considering the near 5 times price disparity, you can imagine how that busts my chops. My 51 did have some ( .003 )variation in chamber throats so I load HBWC seated out about 1/4 " to engage the the chamber throat. That solved the original minor accuracy issues to none at all. Also have a Type II 44 Colt and it shoots great also. I plan to dovetail a front sight for the 51 and then I think it will be crazy accurate.

Nice. Sounds like a good group of guns. I enjoy the cowboy guns so much.