Like Dopers Need a Reason To Do More Pot . . . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Like Dopers Need a Reason To Do More Pot . . . . .

Post by COSteve »

NY Post is reporting that Canadian Scientists believe cannabis could help prevent and treat coronavirus. Looks like Pot strains high in CBD are effective.

Read it HERE
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Like Dopers Need a Reason To Do More Pot . . . . .

Post by marlinman93 »

It seems like everyone sitting in a position to want pot, or to get rich from pot is finding any excuse to endorse it. Politicians are fighting hard to get it legalized beyond state levels and make it federally accepted. They want the votes from potheads, and the tax dollars from pot sales. They care nothing about any data showing increased deaths for states that have legalized pot and saw traffic related deaths by intoxicated drivers sky rocket.
It's only a matter of time until the politicians and corrupt people willing to sell their soul to get it legalized federally win this. Then everyone will deal with the ramifications that states who legalized it have had to deal with.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

marlinman93 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:41 am
It seems like everyone sitting in a position to want pot, or to get rich from pot is finding any excuse to endorse it. Politicians are fighting hard to get it legalized beyond state levels and make it federally accepted. They want the votes from potheads, and the tax dollars from pot sales. They care nothing about any data showing increased deaths for states that have legalized pot and saw traffic related deaths by intoxicated drivers sky rocket.
It's only a matter of time until the politicians and corrupt people willing to sell their soul to get it legalized federally win this. Then everyone will deal with the ramifications that states who legalized it have had to deal with.
Actually, the statistics don't support your statement. I'm no doper. Yes, I tried it in the 60's as a young man but it's not for me so I don't have a 'dog in the fight' but the traffic statistics for Washington, Oregon, and Colorado show that after a small rise right after legalization, the rates went down to where they were before. Check out this article from Feb 2019 HERE.

I can tell you that in Colorado, the diversion of hundreds of millions of dollars in law enforcement resources to other crimes has been a real positive. The addition of hundreds of millions of new tax dollars on liquid, edibles and smokeable pot products has benefited the state education system and study after study show that the consumption of pot products after legalization is statistically the same percentage as before. Like me, those who didn't use pot products before still don't and those who did still do. And, the evolution of a pot tourism business that has raised billions in sales of all types in the state was a totally unanticipated benefit of legalization.

As to driving while impaired on pot products, the state has enacted strict laws that actually give law enforcement more options for arresting impaired drivers than before pot products were legalized. Overall, driving while impaired arrests, be they from alcohol, pot, or other substances has actually gone down slightly in the state as law enforcement spends more money on driving enforcement in part because they have the resources available that were previously tied up with chasing pot crime.

I can't justify smoking anything as being good. I think the Vaping phenomenon is a very unfortunate thing that is running rampant through the youth and should be made illegal so I'm not a fan of smoking pot. However, there are other forms of use that are not only not bad, but have some therapeutical benefits to some with certain ailments.
Steve

"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure where you got your data, but data gathered from the state of Colorado itself does not support your statement. In this attached impact study done by MADD shows that while traffic deaths rose a bit over 30%, traffic deaths involving marijuana rose 151% at the same time!
And from 2013 to 2017 traffic deaths involving marijuana pre legalization, vs. post legalization went from 11.43% to 21.3% So your data about a one year rise seems unfounded.
Here's the impact study results done by MADD:

https://www.madd.org/hawaii/wp-content/ ... _10.18.pdf
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

marlinman93 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 pm
Not sure where you got your data, but data gathered from the state of Colorado itself does not support your statement. In this attached impact study done by MADD shows that while traffic deaths rose a bit over 30%, traffic deaths involving marijuana rose 151% at the same time!
And from 2013 to 2017 traffic deaths involving marijuana pre legalization, vs. post legalization went from 11.43% to 21.3% So your data about a one year rise seems unfounded.
Here's the impact study results done by MADD:

https://www.madd.org/hawaii/wp-content/ ... _10.18.pdf
I guess I got my data from an 'unreliable' source because it's the official information published by the state. However, I'm sure that the MADD data is got to be more accurate because Mothers Against Drunk Driving wouldn't have any bias about issues involving perception altering chemicals and motor vehicle operation now would they. So I'm sure that they're data is more reliable than Colorado's.
Steve

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

We've seen the same similar data here in Oregon since marijuana was legalized. The DUI's for marijuana went up, as did accidents while DUI. Accidents both fatal and non fatal went up drastically the first year, then lowered, but were both still greater than before pot was legalized.
But since pot is "essential" the potheads can keep the percentages up during the quarantines!