Got Bored So I Made Some . . . .

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Got Bored So I Made Some . . . .

Post by COSteve »

Some plinking loads for my Rossis. It took me all of about 40 minutes to whip these out on my 750. That's 400 rds in that medium size keg. These are more of the recipe I tried out at our range in late April that I liked so well. I wrote about them then as, "The Unique loads were hands down the best for me and to my surprise, my 125grn loads, the first a that light bullet weight I'd ever shot from my Rossis I've had since 2009, turned out to be a down right hoot! Less recoil than a 22mag and they were laser straight at 200yds. To be honest, I was very surprised at how well they did out at 200yds."

Anyway, they were so much fun in my testing I knew I'd shoot up a bunch of them. I made up about 300 rds a few weeks ago but over the weekend I got bored so I decided to make up some more. My ammo cans were full so I got one of the smaller pretzel kegs and put the 400 rds in it. With our dry climate and the fact that they won't last that long, they'll do fine in there for now until they get turned in to fired brass. As you can see, I label everything so I have no doubts what I'm shooting.

Now with 700 rds of them, the other 300 rds in an ammo can, I just might like them better than my old standby 158grn loads. Life is great, but unfortunately I'm going to have to wait until Wednesday to limber up my Rossi as I've got chores to do today and tomorrow I've got an appointment to take my Tahoe to the dealer for a quick checkup and s/w update they notified me of a few months back.

Doesn't look like 400 rds of .357mag does it?
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
Rube Burrows
Senior Levergunner

Re: Got Bored So I Made Some . . . .

Post by Rube Burrows »

Looks like a lot of fun waiting to happen. I miss my Dillon 650 where I could crank out lots of .45 Colt in no time.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Have you chrono'd those? They must be smokin' for a plated.
I load 158rn over 6.5gr. Unique and the get 1350 from a 20" Rossi.
I've heard you can strip the plating if you push plated bullets too fast. I assume you haven't had this issue?
The oppressors are coming!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's a nice mess 'o ammo, Steve. It would take me a looong time to load that many rounds with my single-stage press.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

Very nice cache. What overall length did you load those to?

I am certain that my Rossi 357 needs dusting off.
NRA life member
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Shooting the Rossi .357 that Paco gave me a few years ago, I find the 125 gr. JHP and TMJ from Speer to be excellent in the accuracy department. The long barreled rifle gives great velocity with the top end loads and they are accurate to boot.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

OldWin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:20 am
I've heard you can strip the plating if you push plated bullets too fast. I assume you haven't had this issue?
Internet myth. The way you screw up the plating is to over crimp and cut through it. You don't need velocity to peel it off, just cut plating. Velocity doesn't do it. I know for a fact, I've tried to make them do it and unless one cuts through the plating, it just doesn't happen. The bullet mfgrs are told by their liars (oops, I mean lawyers) to put limits on how hard you push their product so that they can limit liability. In addition, the mfgrs don't control how stupidly some may use their products so they need to set limits even if they are conservative. So, they picked numbers and stick to them.

1st. Did you know that Speer Gold Dots are plated bullets? Yep, they are, however, Speer CS will give you this song and dance about how 'the copper is bonded to the core'. That's the definition of the word plating so everyone who makes plated bullets have the copper 'bonded to the core'.

2nd. Real world experience. I've shot thousands of rds of 30 Carbine 110grn plated bullets at over 1,900fps without a single failure. I've recovered shot bullets and while flattened, the plating was intact. Further, I've shot hundreds of 200grn X-Treme 45 cal bullet as 45 Super at 1,305fps with no issues either. I've shot thousands of 158grn plated .357mag bullets at 1,822fps with no ill effects either. I've shot hundreds of 150grn X-Treme .308 fn bullets in my 30-30 at a mild 2,075fps without a single issue either. What do they all have in common? I gave them a medium taper crimp, not a roll crimp and didn't cut through the plating.
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Awesome! Thanks for the info, Steve.
I knew about the crimp thing. It is the most critical part of using plated bullets. I load a ton of em for 38, 357, and 45 ACP.
I always used Rainer and was bummed to see they went out of business. Have been slowly switching to Berrys as my supply is used up.
I still have a full box of 125gr FP. I will have to try your load.
Thanks again!
The oppressors are coming!