Questions about Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, Blackhorn 209

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Questions about Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, Blackhorn 209

Post by Bullard4075 »

Problem/Question : I have a Bullard 40/75/260 (24" twist) which is a 40/65 Winchester clone.
I'm trying to develop a BP load for it. I'm having fits finding BP ( Goex Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F my perferred choice) anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Billings,Montana. I called Shiloh Sharps (of course first trying every gunshop within the 406 area code) expecting a BP rifle building company to carry BP. Well ............no. I found I could order 5 lbs (5 is min order) out of Wyoming for just shy $160 IIRC. I don't need 5, I need one. Ok, maybe two. On to plan B. Somewhere - at this point I don't remember where- I heard about Blackhorn 209. Searched this site and found Blackhorn 209 opinions and information including a post by Griff: "Regarding Blackhorn 209; beware: Blackhorn 209 and Trail Boss Compositions Exposed!"
Clicking the embedded link got the worrisome "Page Not Found". What "Exposed" info do I desperately need to know but can't find? Being persistant (and confused) and unable to find BP or the unexposed "Exposed" information I tried another tack. I hurried over to the Blackhorn 209 load data site. 40/65 Win data was right there plain as day. I was pleased............for a moment. The data was for a 410 gr bullet (also pointed no doubt -my Bullard a levergun) and what I need is data for a 260 gr bullet as, if you remember my barrel is twisted 1 in 24". So now my problems (like the deficit) continue. How do I extrapolate 410 gr Blackhorn 209 data for a 260 gr load?
I have and have been using 5744 loads so I do have a fallback but please let's not start the whole smokeless in a BP gun debate again.
Oh and by the way if someone had a solution for the Old Eynsford 1 1/2 F acquisition that would be spiffy.
Thanks guys for any help.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Questions about Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, Blackhorn 209

Post by DocRock »

Blackhorn 209 has a reputation for ignition problems and, as all the subs are, is even more hygroscopic than real black powder. Otherwise, it is a near direct substitute. In other words, your starting load is a drop tube full case to about 1 /10"above bullet base, compress, seat bullet to contact, and see how it goes. From there, alter seating depth and compression for best results. As a BP sub, the difference between a 410 and a 260 grs bullet doesn't matter that much. You will use more powder with the 260 grs bullet, but even with an absurd amount of compression, you can't put "too much" BH in a case. I have heard people that use BH209 stress the use of magnum primers and see their data calls for Federal 215, so I would use a magnum primer. I

Again, starting load is full to contact with bullet base after @ 1/10" compression. I believe that Blackhorn -Trail Boss issue may be about compression and that BH may not respond well to high compression. So see how a full load from a drop tube and no more than 1/10" compression gets you.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Questions about Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F, Blackhorn 209

Post by M. M. Wright »

My favorite is Goex ffg which I buy from Powder Inc of Clarksville Arkansas. 5 Lb minimum and boy it's expensive. But then I buy 25Lb. at a time. I think for your 40 cal 2f is more appropriate. I would want a card wad and a grease cookie under my bullet 'cause I doubt you're going to find a bullet that carries enough lube for a 24 or 26 inch barrel. Be sure to use a black powder lube (SPG) because those Crayola smokeless lubes are really hard to clean after shooting black.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS