winchester 94 coil hammer strut springs long and short??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fly2mike
Levergunner

winchester 94 coil hammer strut springs long and short??

Post by fly2mike »

Hello, I'm hoping to clear up a couple of questions regarding a winchester 94 trapper AE.
I purchased this rifle a few years ago and have never fired it, but want to get it out some time soon. I had decided to change the rebound hammer to a half cock style. I had just happened to look on e-bay the other day and found a complete lower tang/ hammer/ trigger, etc. from a 94 XTR. (which I immediately purchased for $100.00) I removed the original rebound hammer/ tang from the carbine and decided to save the lower tang and just install the parts in it from the XTR. When I got everything apart I saw that the spring from the rebound hammer is a lot longer than the spring from the half cock strut. I'm not sure if I should use the longer one or the shorter one. Seems like maybe I should use the one that came with the half cock hammer?
The other thing I noticed is that the sear from the XTR has a small notch from about a third of the sear contact surface, I can't tell if it is broken off or if it was milled that way? Maybe somebody tried to modify the sear to make it lighter? The parts appear to be in very good condition generally with just a bit of freckling in the finish of the lower tang which is why I decided to just keep the original tang off the AE. I am assuming the parts will transfer over OK, the tangs look identical. I removed the hammer block and sear spring, and just cleaned those and put them back in. The only thing about the XTR trigger seems really loose! Also it seems like a glossy black paint almost as opposed to bluing?
I will take some close up photos tomorrow and post here if I can figure out how.
Thanks for any help,
Mike
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: winchester 94 coil hammer strut springs long and short??

Post by Nath »

Has it lost its half cock notch?
Sounds like bubba's had his hands on it!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I did a half cock conversion on a pre crossbolt Angle Eject Trapper a few years ago.
I took a little different approach as some parts are getting expensive and scarce.
The most important thing is to make sure the hammer screws are the same size, as they changed them at some point.
I took a complete lower tang assembly out of the first style post 64 94.
It won't fit as manufactured, but only because this lower tang still has the tenons on the side that dovetail into the receiver. This and the hammer screw used to locate the lower tang assembly on 94s. This was later dropped, and only the hammer screw and lower tang recess in the stock did the locating.
All that needs to be done to have this whole assembly drop in is to file flat the tenons on the lower tang so they are flush. You can see in the pictures, the tenons are on the sides in the picture of both tangs. In the other, they have been filed off prior to a cold blue touch up and installation.
I found these parts easier to source and the whole assembly to be much simpler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fly2mike
Levergunner

Post by fly2mike »

I guess I don't know how to add images on this. If anybody can help with that it would be apreciated
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I just click on Attachments at the bottom of the post and then click add files select the image and click place in line when it appears.

Welcome to the fire.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

To convert the rebounders to half cock, just disassemble the lower tangs, set aside the hammer, trigger, sear, main spring and strut of the rebounding action, then install the same half cock parts.

The pre-saftey rebounder tangs are the same as as the later half cock tangs so the action parts will interchange within them.

When I did mine I just switched out the tang assembly and was done with it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What Joe said! On the majority of my conversions, where I'm fitting new parts to work in top eject receivers, I've just used the late style Top Eject strut, hammer, trigger & sear, along with the trigger block and it's spring. As I recall, the mainsprings between the half-cock & rebounding models are the same length. But... that may depend on the age of the rebounding model.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fly2mike
Levergunner

Post by fly2mike »

IMG_0015.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fly2mike
Levergunner

Post by fly2mike »

IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
fly2mike
Levergunner

Post by fly2mike »

I figured out the picture thing :-) Thanks!! Not sure how I added 2 of the pictures of the sear?, anyway hope these are clear enough to show the parts I'm working with. I looked at a picture of an XTR top eject sear on the Midwest gun parts website, and it looks the sane as mine as far as I can tell. So, it looks like the little notch is factory done.
fly2mike
Levergunner

Post by fly2mike »

I'm looking at the sear and hammer, and thinking about trying to polish those surfaces, and just decided not to mess with it. Seems like the angles could be messed up pretty easily, and don't want to do that.
I guess the only real question at this point is about the spring length. Thinking it would make the most sense to use the shorter spring that came with the XTR half cock trigger group? I think I'll just put some moly lube on the parts and assemble it to see how it works. I'll give a bump test to check the safety.