I have always been partial to sixguns and horses ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I have always been partial to sixguns and horses ...

Post by JimT »

I blame my Dad for that. He started me off early with both. These from 1949 or early 1950.

jim-sixgunner-kid-horse.jpg

jim-sixgunner-kid.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I have always been partial to sixguns and horses ...

Post by fordwannabe »

Cool pictures Jim. Yes I blame my maternal Grandmother and Paternal Grandfather. Grandmother loved all the westerns and taught me to shoot at 5. Grandfather taught me to hunt( he handed me my first lever action deer gun)and the joy of good animals. I am old enough to remember when All my hero’s wore guns and it was socially accepted to have heroes who did the right thing because it was THE RIGHT THING. What was it they called it back then????? Hmmm? Ahh? Been a while?????OIH YEA MORALES.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

That looks like a Remington 1858, good taste!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

An excellent start to life....... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Jim.......bless your pappy........I notice in the second picture Pops even had you on gunfighter cross draw. :D

1949 or 50.....I wasn't even a gleam in my dad's eyes.....

OK, how do you suppose Pops had the old Remington held up in the second picture? By string? I like that.----6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:35 pm Dang Jim.......bless your pappy........I notice in the second picture Pops even had you on gunfighter cross draw. :D

1949 or 50.....I wasn't even a gleam in my dad's eyes.....

OK, how do you suppose Pops had the old Remington held up in the second picture? By string? I like that.----6
He had a string from the barrel up to the ceiling.
Dad had a gunsmithing business at the time ... bought those old Remington 1858's for $10 each from James E. Serven. They were not collectible (which is what Mr. Serven handled) and hardly anyone wanted one in those days. Dad took the ones with cracked cylinders, made a chamber insert and rebarreled/rechambered them to .22 rimfire. He said he also converted a couple to centerfire 38 Special or .357 Magnum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

James Serven! The James Serven? As you know, he ranks up there with Herb Glass of the antique gun world.....well, he did.....he was old in the fifties.

Jim.....you were a little behind in life..as to age.......guys like Serven and Glass would turn their noses up at an antique gun if it had less than 90% condition.......so that means it's your fault for not being older at the time and had a pocket full of cash to pick up on all those "less than 90%" 1860 Army's, '51 Navy's, Dragoons, Wells Fargo 49'ers, martially marked '73's, Henry's, Volcanics........... :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:26 pm James Serven! The James Serven? As you know, he ranks up there with Herb Glass of the antique gun world.....well, he did.....he was old in the fifties.

Jim.....you were a little behind in life..as to age.......guys like Serven and Glass would turn their noses up at an antique gun if it had less than 90% condition.......so that means it's your fault for not being older at the time and had a pocket full of cash to pick up on all those "less than 90%" 1860 Army's, '51 Navy's, Dragoons, Wells Fargo 49'ers, martially marked '73's, Henry's, Volcanics........... :D ---6
Yep. I missed it! Dad had old Colt SAA's that no one wanted also. He converted some to .22 rimfire .. I guess they sold ok ... some folks liked those for plinking.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That hogleg is almost as big as you were in that second picture.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost