Powder for 45 colt clone

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Powder for 45 colt clone

Post by bcraig »

I just got an EMF /Pietta GW /II 1873 Revolver ,A Colt clone

Too expensive to try a bunch of different powders.So I am interested in finding the best powder for my needs,hopefully yall can help.

I will be using a 225 grain Lead Semi Wadcutter Hollowpoint bullet
I am wondering what all the 45 Colt reloaders here would reccomend as a Powder that will fill the case as Much as possible ,be position insensitive ,wanting to attain velocities in the 1000FPS range while maintaining Standard Saami 45 Colt Pressures.
I will be hand weighing all the Powder charges ,loading with large Pistol Primers (unless magnum Primers are needed) .

I have looked at the Hodgdon online data but it tells me nothing about powder position Sensitivity nor which Powder fills up the case the best.

I would appreciate input from experienced 45 Colt Reloaders

Thanks
Craig
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Powder for 45 colt clone

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Not sure what velocity they run as I've never chronographed them, but I like Unique and Trailboss. The both fill up and I've never had any issues I noticed with position.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Unique is indeed great! But most shotgun powders also do quite well in the .45 Colt. I use a lot of both Red Dot, and Green Dot, and they're mild and accurate in my revolvers. Love the .45 Colt cartridge!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've used a lot of Unique and Universal under a 250 RNFP. I'm good with lower loads for around 800 fps...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I use Unique in most of my 45 Colt loads. I don't need to "magnumize" the 45, even though they are shot in Ruger New Vaquero, Blackhawk, Bisley, and Redhawk revolvers.
I have a Super Redhawk in ,454 and a half dozen .44 mags if I feel the need for speed :D .

Jack
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A UNIQUE fan here in the 45 colt.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I can tell you what the military used .....I have original boxes from Frankford Arsenal marked, "6 gr. Bullseye". Over the years I've used that load for all around plinking, along with 6 grains of Red Dot, 8 grains of Unique, or more recently, 7.5 grains of 231 all with a 250-260 cast RN or Keith SWC.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

98% of the time I use trail boss in my .45 Colt reloads. It is not the cleanest burning but I started out with it in cowboy action shooting so it is still what I use most. I have worked lots of different loads with it and have enjoyed it.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use a lot of Red Dot in both the .45 Colt and .45 ACP . Historically unique has been a favorite but was impossible to find
During the Obama siege so I started using Red Dot and never want back.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

During the Obama drought I bought 5 lbs of TiteGroup & use it in 3 45 colt revolvers, works great!
Hodgdons annual manual says its not position sensitive & with a 225 gr. cast bullet should get you close to the 1000 fps goal
I use it in 32 H&R, 38 spl, 357 mag. 38-40, 44-40 & 45 colt all with cast bullets, since then I have added more
TiteGroup to my stash

Brad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Thanks Guys
I called Alliant and talked with a Guy there that said they Did not have any load data for the Lead 225 grain Semi wadcutter and Unique so he checked several other reloading sources for me and In a Lyman Manual he found a load with Unique for a 230 Grain lead bullet that clocked at almost 1050 FPS with a Max loading of 9.3 grains of Unique.With pressure in the mid 13,000 range.This sounds like just what I am looking for .
I will start a grain lower and work up.

Does anyone have a Lyman manual to verify that for me ?

Thank you much
Craig
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I most always use 8gr. Unique under the old Lyman 255 cast fairly soft. Sometimes I get lazy and use the same charge behind a plated 230gr. RN 45ACP bullet.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

My Lyman #49 shows a 230grn swaged lead bullet , starting load 8.6 grains of Unique going 937 fps 10,200 cup... max is 9.6 for 1028 fps and 12,000cup. from a 7 1/2" barrel. I would think the starting load would be what you want. I would try to find a Lyman reloading handbook.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

.45colt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:38 am My Lyman #49 shows a 230grn swaged lead bullet , starting load 8.6 grains of Unique going 937 fps 10,200 cup... max is 9.6 for 1028 fps and 12,000cup. from a 7 1/2" barrel. I would think the starting load would be what you want. I would try to find a Lyman reloading handbook.
Thank you much for the information
Craig