new gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

new gun?

Post by JNG »

Do I need a new gun? No. I came into some cash and after obligations are cared for, I have a few bucks extra.
I'm thinking on a 45colt. Not rich but, what is the best buck for gun?
What to do?
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: new gun?

Post by jnyork »

What does "need" have to do with buying a new gun? :lol:
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

JNG wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:06 pm Do I need a new gun? No. I came into some cash and after obligations are cared for, I have a few bucks extra.
I'm thinking on a 45colt. Not rich but, what is the best buck for gun?
What to do?
try the taylor smokewagon. I have one in the .357 magnum. I love it. I think uberti makes em
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

JNG wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:06 pm Do I need a new gun? No.
Thinking bizarre thoughts like that is a pretty sure indication that you need a new gun. :|
Have you hugged your rifle today?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Levergun or pistol...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ruger
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If you want a real workhorse, go Ruger, either the Blackhawk, original Vaquero (only used now), or the new model if you like the weight and feel of a Colt SAA. But... do know the lockwork and trigger are much different than a bone-fide SAA.

If you want what you spend to remain in play, buy a Colt SAA. I've never paid over $400 for any of my Colt SAAs, (no I haven't bought one in 20+ years), but could sell any of them at more twice the price I paid. And mine have been used hard, rebuilt at least once each, and I take care of them. Cleaned and lubed with each use.

But and Italian copy if you want the nostalgia and look of the Colt (why is it that no one's making a clone of the Rugers... that ought to tell you something), but, be prepared to buy better than the cheapest model that manufacturer makes. Or expect it to need fixing pretty darned quick. Even the most expensive Italian models will need tuning to be really "right".

And in all truth, the be really "right" even the Rugers and Colts will need to be tuned to perform their best. To paraphrase Nate Kiowa Jones, "... Mom's old station wagon will get to the grocery store and back... but don't expect to be drag racing it on Saturday... and have not have problems..."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

On Friday I went nuts and bought two guns. Both extreme opposites of the spectrum, and both were great buys. First I was on another forum where someone was wondering about what they called a BUBBA Rolling Block at Simpson's Ltd. They posted a link, and it showed a very unique Roller in 12.7 x 44R, but a sporter, not a military. Everyone was asking about what the description might mean when it said "Breech is sealed"?? So I simply picked up the phone and called them. Asked if they could elaborate on what "sealed" meant? The sales lady said the bore looked excellent, and not plugged. The firing pin was missing, and she said she could see through the hole, also not plugged. I asked her to cock it and open the breech block. She said it cosked, but breech block only moved a small amount before stopping. After that I knew the block was stuck on it's pivot pin, so I told her I'd take it for the $295 price tag. A no brainer as I've got lots of Rolling Block pins and parts.
You can see how unique the receiver and trigger guard are in the images here:
https://simpsonltd.com/remington-1867-r ... ck-c44897/

The second is gun answer to my search for a compact 9mm carry gun for the last year. I've looked at plenty, and handled many, but didn't fall for any of them. Either too tiny for my big hands, or just ugly, or poorly fitted or finished. Then I came across a SCCY CPX-2 9mm semiauto. Pictures looked good, so I checked online at my two biggest dealers, Cabelas (I dislike!) and Sportsman's Warehouse. Sportsman's had several variations of gray frame with stainless slide, black frame SS slide, camo frame SS slide, or black and black SS slide. And they had them on sale for $199! I rushed over, and after they let me see all varieties, and feel the shape, and trigger pull I chose the black with SS slide version. Had a gift card for $40 also, so out the door at $159, and they paid the background check fee too!
The SCCY firearms are lifetime warranty, transferable to all future owners! And they're built in Daytona Beach, Fla. USA. Really a very nice looking handgun, with plenty of great reviews.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... /p/1494410

So if you're looking to buy a gun and your budget is small, I think this would be an excellent choice for anyone. Comes with two magazines, and two extended mag base plates, and two flat base plates.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I only have a couple of .45 Colts right now, but my favorite of all of them is the Bisley convertible on the right.

If you want something a little different the Uberti Schofield is a lot of fun.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Buy yourself a real first generation Colt SAA. You know you want one. Yes it will be expensive but it will hold it's value. Doesn't have to have any finish and try to find one that has not been messed with. 1902 or newer will get the verified proof for smokeless. I'll be happy to help.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Vall I have never seen a rolling block with removable side plate before. Very interesting find. Congratulations.
I threw common sense and thrift to the wind recently and bought a BSA Mark II International, and a Ruger No. 1 in 9,3X74R. That should scratch my single shot itch for a while I hope. 8)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have had a Ruger Bisley .45 since they came out in 1985. two years ago I bought a .45colt /acp Redhawk. I think the best buy today in a new gun for general use looks like this. .45colt& has the acp cylinder. Good Luck.https://www.gunbroker.com/item/862926528
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 am Vall I have never seen a rolling block with removable side plate before. Very interesting find. Congratulations.
I threw common sense and thrift to the wind recently and bought a BSA Mark II International, and a Ruger No. 1 in 9,3X74R. That should scratch my single shot itch for a while I hope. 8)
Hey Bill if you ever want to sell that #1 put me at the top of the list!!! PLEASE!!!! For some reason 9.3x74R has me intrigued in a #1 even more so!!

Just got my 1200 clams from the gubermint, now do I put it in the bank or in the safe???
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, I don't even have that No. 1 in hand yet. :lol:
I briefly owned a very light double rifle in 9,3X74R, and boy did it dish out a surprising amount of recoil.
I think the No. 1 will be very pleasant to shoot, and I am already looking at a cast boolit mold for this rifle.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I always look for them online & in stores, fortunately I haven't found one yet! I think your cast bullet idea is going to make it very reasonable to shoot! Please post pics when you get it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 am Vall I have never seen a rolling block with removable side plate before. Very interesting find. Congratulations.
Bill, the "sideplate" isn't a sideplate at all. It's simply shaped to be raised and appear to be a sideplate. The trigger guard is removable though, which is something rare for a Rolling Block. I've only see pictures of two piece lower tangs and trigger guards, so this will be fun to see up close.

I don't own a 9.3x74R, but have tons of brass for it that I make into .40-85/90 Ballard rounds. It's perfect once blown out to .40 and doesn't need any other work. Nosler had it on sale last year for $14.95 a box so I ordered a dozen boxes.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

M M Wright,
You are right@
First Gen Colt SAA.
I want one!
With the Sixguns com gone, where would I would look for info?

I want one!
Where to find a fair price?

My wife hate you!
Help me find one.

Thank you,
Joe
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

JNG wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 pm M M Wright,
You are right@
First Gen Colt SAA.
I want one!
With the Sixguns com gone, where would I would look for info?

I want one!
Where to find a fair price?

My wife hate you!
Help me find one.

Thank you,
Joe
Get on the Colt Forum and the Single Action Army forum. You'll have to get active for a while to use their Classifieds but there are some deals there. SASS classifieds too. Is it OK to send you a couple of pics?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Personally I'd avoid guns from SASS shooters. Most have seen a ton of shooting, and often been modified. Not that all are bad, but my experience hasn't been good. If those guys are getting rid of them, there's usually a good reason for it.