Two Hun Beauties!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Two Hun Beauties!

Post by DocRock »

Won these quite unexpectedly at the Rock Island Auction yesterday. Threw in a low-ball bid and came up a winner. It will be a while before I get them, but the older and more interesting one is an antique, so a direct delivery.

This was listed as a Model 1871 Mauser in "8mm". Quite interesting. The reciever may indeed be based on the Model 1871 action, but it has been heavily reworked, to say the least. Nice engraving, 26" octagonal barrel, nicely ornate bolt handle, double set trigger - a pre turn-of-the-Century "stalking rifle". Which 8mm it might be is a mystery. With that action, it certainly can't be one of the 8x57 Mauser cartridges, so one of the 8.15mm Schuetzen cartridges is more likely. WIll likely need a chamber cast to find out. But it's a beauty!

M71 3.png
M71 2.png
M71 1.png

The second is more a known quantity. Another stalking rifle, somewhat more modestly done on a Model 98 action. Looks like the receiver was case colored, lightly engraved, double set triggers, nice claw mounts for a scope, and a fetching octagonal to round barrel. Will have to slug it to see whether it's .323 or .318.

m98 2.png
m98 1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Two Hun Beauties!

Post by gamekeeper »

Interesting firearms to be sure, please tell us more as you go..... :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Those look like beautiful old custom bolt rifles! They're really becoming quite collectible these days, with a lot more people getting interested in early bolt action custom rifles. Nice snag!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

real beauties and both should be fun to get running and using. I love those kinds of projects when I have time to do them.

congratulations !
cable