revisiting a rossi 92 rebarrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

revisiting a rossi 92 rebarrel

Post by mickbr »

I was looking to do this last year but things got away. Once life returns to a semblance of normalcy I was going to look at rebarelling a 20" damage barrelled 1892 rossi in 357. I was thinking of adding a 24" round barrel with increased twist. I prefer longer barrels being a big guy, and also keeping the blast down a little, particularly to hunting dogs. I had an octagon barrel 357 which I loved but it was just too heavy to carry about, a mans got to know his limitations and rossi with its lack of taper exceeds mine.

Anyway any thoughts on the practicalities of a round barrel 24"?

1. does it tend to be quieter than the same load in a 20" or not much difference? Im not chasing more velocity, I know 357 gets most its power in the first 20".

2. Twist rates 1:16 which recolvers use, or will it be too fast at the higher speed and RPM from a carbine? 1:24 better? I think either is better for larger bullets than the current 1:30 rossi uses?

3. Extending the magazine to match the longer barrel. Can I get a rossi 24" tube mag as a spare part? Or will a gunsmith be able to use something aftermarket, maybe hydraulic tube?
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: revisiting a rossi 92 rebarrel

Post by gundownunder »

I'd check the weight difference between a round and octagonal first. If there isn't a noticeable difference, you may be chucking good money at a project you won't be happy with.
Velocity difference between a 20" and 24" is less than 100 fps. My Marlin 1894 20" cowboy will do 1650 fps with a 180gr and 13 gr of 296 and my brothers 24" Rossi gets 1700 fps, a friends Marlin 18" carbine gets 1625.
Why change the mag tube? I wouldn't bother with the extra expense unless you can justify the extra firepower.
If it was me, 20" octagonal would be the answer, and you might even find one on the second hand market.
As for noise, they will all send you deaf if you don't wear hearing protection, but the 20" will do it a little quicker.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It would involve a bit more cost, but I'd personally consider shortening the magazine tube to an 8-shot (like the 16" Rossis have), and putting a 24" fast-twist barrel on it with an integral suppressor starting where the magazine tube ends. Or even a 6-shot tube and 22" barrel. You'd have a very quiet setup for spitting out 180 grain bullets (or bigger, actually) at 1050 fps or so, yet still able to use any ordinary load fairly quietly.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

gundownunder wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:33 am I'd check the weight difference between a round and octagonal first. If there isn't a noticeable difference, you may be chucking good money at a project you won't be happy with.
Velocity difference between a 20" and 24" is less than 100 fps. My Marlin 1894 20" cowboy will do 1650 fps with a 180gr and 13 gr of 296 and my brothers 24" Rossi gets 1700 fps, a friends Marlin 18" carbine gets 1625.
Why change the mag tube? I wouldn't bother with the extra expense unless you can justify the extra firepower.
If it was me, 20" octagonal would be the answer, and you might even find one on the second hand market.
As for noise, they will all send you deaf if you don't wear hearing protection, but the 20" will do it a little quicker.
Already checked the weight difference, its huge. Dont care about velocity differences, already said that. Change mag tube for aesthetics and capacity, personal choice. 20" octagonal is going backwards from what I want. Id just have shortended my old 24" in that case. as to last comment, my dogs dont wear hearing protection.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:40 am It would involve a bit more cost, but I'd personally consider shortening the magazine tube to an 8-shot (like the 16" Rossis have), and putting a 24" fast-twist barrel on it with an integral suppressor starting where the magazine tube ends. Or even a 6-shot tube and 22" barrel. You'd have a very quiet setup for spitting out 180 grain bullets (or bigger, actually) at 1050 fps or so, yet still able to use any ordinary load fairly quietly.
Spitting out bigger bullets is part of the plan yep
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even without a suppressor, a 'cat-sneeze' load with a 180-220 grain bullet at 1,000 fps or so would not be very loud at all, and if you can range the target well and have a calibrated sight, there is plenty of punch out a hundred yards or so for most purposes. You could easily have it at least threaded, so a separate suppressor could be added.

I have one of the Marlin 1894 CST's in 357 Mag. It only has a 16" barrel, so with my Mystic 9mm suppressor on it it has the same length as a 24" barrel levergun, only MUCH lighter and better balanced for me (not so front heavy as the 24" octagonal I have to compare it with).

Then if I take off the suppressor I have a REALLY light and short little gun.

I don't know the twist rate [ :oops: ] and haven't had time to see how heavy of a bullet it will stabilize at subsonic velocity, but honestly, I'm not after super-duper quiet - just quiet enough not to have my ears damaged with the occasional hunting or varmint-controlling shot (I still wear hearing protectors for target shooting and practice). BUT all that would be moot if you are re-barreling - you can pick the twist you want, within available barrel blanks, or get really fancy and have one rifled to a custom twist.

Anyhow, it sounds like a fun project; I can see three options come to the front:

a) an integrally-suppressed 20-24" barrel ($$$)

b) a shorter barrel threaded and add a suppressor for a useful total length with the suppressor and a short-but-legal length without it (maybe most versatile and easy - suppressor could be used on multiple firearms*)

c) a longer barrel just to make less report (unburnt powder) - easy but gosh, everybody has a rig like that.... :wink:

* I use my Mystic 9mm suppressor on:

Marlin 357 Mag levergun
Ruger 10/22's (one the take-down model, the other with an aftermarket threaded barrel)
Savage bolt action 22 LR
Ruger Mk 3/45 in 22 LR
(soon to thread) Contender pistol in 22 Hornet and 357 Maximum
Remington bolt action 223 Rem
Ruger Mini-14 in 223 Rem
Several AR-15's in 223 Rem and 300 Blackout
Ruger Mini-14 in 300 Blackout
(soon to thread) Marlin 336 in 30-30 and in 35 Rem
Glock in 9mm
Taurus PT-92 in 9mm

So....there is much to be said for a separate, threaded, suppressor....per gun used on, the cost (including the 'stamp') works out to around $50 per gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "