Shooting at TWO MILES...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Shooting at TWO MILES...

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/Wvu2d8Kx0es

Pretty amazing stuff.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: Shooting at TWO MILES...

Post by Gobblerforge »

That looks fun.
Click Click Boom
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Let's see, remodel the house or buy a two-mile rig ... :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

COOL 8) nowadays I don't shoot much further than I can see fleas on a Squirrel... :oops:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's some pretty amazing shooting, and even more amazing spotting! Shooting that distance (even with specialized high power rifles) is tough, and made tougher shooting up a hillside! The hills can create all sorts of weird wind currents, and as temperatures change during the day the currents can raise and die, and change direction. A lot to guesstimate when you're a spotter trying to help your shooter!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not to take one thing away from the skill needed to do this, but I wonder if they are calling the vertical, or the horizontal distance. Big difference.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I believe the esteemed Blaine is on to something. And also do no forget that while the shooters are very good marksmen, they are also using the very best in shooting equipment, two very powerful combinations.

This thread makes me think of the ""Wasserburger Mile Shoot" scheduled for Labor Day 2020 -- Black powder, iron sights, lead bullets. As stated in an older thread on Shiloh:

"Ballistics and Trajectory Values:
"The bullet [540 grains] launches at an angle of 5.407 degrees and impacts at an angle of 8.05 degrees with a remaining velocity of 666 fps.
"The bullet drop from level flight is nearly 6,000 inches and the mid-range (962yds)(Max Ordinate) height is 52.5 yards."
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewt ... 9&start=15

Another thread:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... -mile-shot
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Blaine wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:04 pm Not to take one thing away from the skill needed to do this, but I wonder if they are calling the vertical, or the horizontal distance. Big difference.
If I'm understanding your question right, in the video I heard the spotter calling out both vertical and windage adjustments to the shooter, so I'd say they certainly are calling out both.

As for great equipment, and high powered rifles, etc. Those do indeed help, and especially the faster cartridges, and wonderful scopes. But they wont make even an above average shooter competitive if he doesn't have practice and experience in this distance shooting. You'll toss a lot of lead down range, and burn through a lot of powder too before you ever get your first ding on the plates.
And iron sights with BP single shot rifles are even tougher at half those distances. Mainly because of not using scoped guns with magnification, but also because of the time in flight that it can have wind affect the bullet. Spending several seconds in the air to get to 1,000 yds. can do things to a bullet that are extremely hard to estimate from the firing line. And to make matters tougher, you don't have wind flags at intervals out to the dinger to give you an idea what the wind is doing. It can change direction, and velocity several times in that distance, and really mess you up.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:16 pm
Blaine wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:04 pm Not to take one thing away from the skill needed to do this, but I wonder if they are calling the vertical, or the horizontal distance. Big difference.
If I'm understanding your question right, in the video I heard the spotter calling out both vertical and windage adjustments to the shooter, so I'd say they certainly are calling out both.

As for great equipment, and high powered rifles, etc. Those do indeed help, and especially the faster cartridges, and wonderful scopes. But they wont make even an above average shooter competitive if he doesn't have practice and experience in this distance shooting. You'll toss a lot of lead down range, and burn through a lot of powder too before you ever get your first ding on the plates.
And iron sights with BP single shot rifles are even tougher at half those distances. Mainly because of not using scoped guns with magnification, but also because of the time in flight that it can have wind affect the bullet. Spending several seconds in the air to get to 1,000 yds. can do things to a bullet that are extremely hard to estimate from the firing line. And to make matters tougher, you don't have wind flags at intervals out to the dinger to give you an idea what the wind is doing. It can change direction, and velocity several times in that distance, and really mess you up.
It occures to me that the current tech has computerized scopes that will make that adjustment automaticly...I forgot about those.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, I've seen those, but never used one of those high tech scopes. But the only high power shooting I do is my hunting rifles, so if it's not my varmint rifle, deer rifle, or elk rifle, the rest are old technology. But I do have some scopes on my old 1800's guns. They are either very old Malcolm, Stevens, Winchester, or Lyman scopes. Or they're the semi newer Unertl, Fecker, Litschert, or Lyman target scopes. None high tech enough to compensate any better than iron sights.
My nephew has an expensive Swarovski scope on his hunting rifle, and just looking through it confuses me! I have no idea what all the marks on the crosshairs are, and how they work. But he tells me he can range a deer and comfortably take a 500 yd. shot after making the proper adjustments. Not sure I'd want to if I could, as the stalk is the most fun in a deer hunt. Sniping deer at long range isn't all that appealing to me.