4,100 of these rifles (carbines) made PER DAY

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

4,100 of these rifles (carbines) made PER DAY

Post by AJMD429 »

6 million in four years....
https://youtu.be/DUppu5IxEY4
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 4,100 of these rifles (carbines) made PER DAY

Post by gamekeeper »

A weapon that was at one time or another used against nearly all the enemies of the free world.
Call me old fashioned but I would trust the M1 carbine over a lot of modern plastic and potmetal hyped up modern stuff to protect my home, I know it's not perfect but it's battle proven in all the worst conditions a firearm can be subjected to.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Amazing that they have gotten so expensive over the decades.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I always think what if, they had develops a .35 Carbine instead. I understand why it was in .30 but imagine the possibilities.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:57 am I always think what if, they had develops a .35 Carbine instead. I understand why it was in .30 but imagine the possibilities.
.351 Winchester?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Twodot wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:34 pm
3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:57 am I always think what if, they had develops a .35 Carbine instead. I understand why it was in .30 but imagine the possibilities.
.351 Winchester?
Yep but with a rimless case and .355 or preferably .357 groove diameter!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

fabulous. now I want 1 for home comforts...
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Some day some day. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:53 am A weapon that was at one time or another used against nearly all the enemies of the free world.
Call me old fashioned but I would trust the M1 carbine over a lot of modern plastic and potmetal hyped up modern stuff to protect my home, I know it's not perfect but it's battle proven in all the worst conditions a firearm can be subjected to.
Well said.
I've owned at least one M1 carbine for 30 years. I think they got judged harshly by many people that weren't qualified to judge.
In later years, they judged the entire weapon based on worn out springs, worn out magazines, and worn parts in a weapon that had been in use the world over for decades.
I've always had a soft spot for the M1 carbine. I have found them reliable and pretty good shooters overall.
I find it interesting that it is documented that the M1 carbine was the only American shoulder fired weapon that German soldiers would pick up and use.
I will probably be banned from the forum, but if I had served in WW2, I'd sooner carry a carbine than a Thompson. However, I would probably still choose a Garand in most open countryside.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Dad didn't like the M1 carbine. Being a tanker any time he needed a shoulder weapon it would be for close quarters. He thought the Thompson was much better. He stuck with it from Africa to France and finally Germany. The one thing he lamented was his first Thompson had a drum magazine. What he was issued later only had the stick mags of lower capacity.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

COSteve wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:17 pm I've long said that the M1 Carbine is a much better HD platform than the AR. At engagement distances inside a normal home of less than 30ft, my 30 Carbine loaded with Speer 110grn JHP is my 1st line of defense. Using the very reliable Korean 30rd mags with an M2 mag catch, it's as reliable as heck. My second choice for HD is my Rossi .357mag levergun with my 158grn HP hot loads and the AR comes in a distant 3rd, only because the shotgun is at my son's home.
Totally agree, but for me after the Carbine would be my Marlin 1894c, then the 870 with #4 buck, then the Win 94. I'm with you on the 110JHP's! BTW the 5.56 was designed to replicate the wound carictoristics (sp?) of the Carbine rd. with 30'06 ballistics. HTH
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

There were plenty available in the late stages of Viet Nam, some Advisers still carried them when we worked with Local Force units that hadn't been issued 16's. We had 2 cut down M-2's hanging on the wall of our hootch along with a couple M-3A1's.
Bob
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

During the war when my dad and his Liberty ship were moored awaiting off-loading the man in the crow's nest spotted something coming toward them. After a bit they could see it was a Japanese swimming, pushing a log. On the log were satchel charges.

The satchel charges made it no laughing matter so one of their Marines broke out one of their newly issued M1 carbines. He opened fire when the slow moving 'torpedo' was still way out past Ft. Mudge.

My dad and the other sightseers helped him walk the rounds in until the soldier stopped swimming. Next round BOOM.

End of problem.

Cat
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cat, your dad lived in interesting times ! I thank him for his service.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

COSteve wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:17 pm I've long said that the M1 Carbine is a much better HD platform than the AR. At engagement distances inside a normal home of less than 30ft, my 30 Carbine loaded with Speer 110grn JHP is my 1st line of defense. Using the very reliable Korean 30rd mags with an M2 mag catch, it's as reliable as heck. My second choice for HD is my Rossi .357mag levergun with my 158grn HP hot loads and the AR comes in a distant 3rd, only because the shotgun is at my son's home.
The carbine was a replacement for a 1911 Colt is what I have been told. I would much rather have a 1911. If I was on the battlefield, the carbine would go as soon as I found a pick up be it a sks, ak, garand, m-16 or m-14. Inside the house, 1911 or double barrel 10 ga. "sawed off" shotgun. are by my nightstand. One 3 1/2 OO Buck holds 19 pellets, that is 2 of the standard 9 pellet 12 ga. and I still have another barrel.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Just speculating....but why not a 1911 carbine? The guns and ammo were already in the system, it would have been lightweight, the recoil manageable in a carbine, and no one ever dissed the 45's effectiveness.

I can't imagine it would have been difficult to come up with a working model very quickly, and the idea isn't totally crazy because we have them today in every pistol caliber .

Just curious.....
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

gcs wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:17 pm Just speculating....but why not a 1911 carbine? The guns and ammo were already in the system, it would have been lightweight, the recoil manageable in a carbine, and no one ever dissed the 45's effectiveness.

I can't imagine it would have been difficult to come up with a working model very quickly, and the idea isn't totally crazy because we have them today in every pistol caliber .

Just curious.....
Well, the .30 carbine has a flatter trajectory. And in the video he mentions using some of the same equipment to make .30 carbine ammo. Not sure what it would be. And lastly I think a .45 acp carbine would have weighed more than the 5 lbs desired.

The carbine did put on some weight over the years, but the military is notorious for that. Look at how much more a current m16 weighs compared to the original.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:06 pm Well, the .30 carbine has a flatter trajectory. And in the video he mentions using some of the same equipment to make .30 carbine ammo. Not sure what it would be. And lastly I think a .45 acp carbine would have weighed more than the 5 lbs desired.
I agree that the 30 carbine was a superior choice for then intended purposes.

Back to the part about the carbine replacing the 1911, I did have a friend who was a Marine Lieutenant on Iwo Jima and a couple other landings. He was issued an M1 carbine, but told me ever time he turned around, he'd left the carbine lying someplace. He replaced it with a 1911 simply because he could carry it on his side at all times. He said the only time it wasn't in his holster was at night. He talked about sleeping while holding the 1911 across his chest in case they were overran by a Japanese counter attack at night.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:30 am Cat, your dad lived in interesting times ! I thank him for his service.
Thank you gamekeeper, he did indeed. After much fighting they were on there way back to the States when they were sunk. In the middle of the Atlantic, early '42. Took 'em almost four months to get to land (South America) and he had his 18th birthday in the life boat.

He was a great dad.

Cat
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Catshooter wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:54 am
gamekeeper wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:30 am Cat, your dad lived in interesting times ! I thank him for his service.
Thank you gamekeeper, he did indeed. After much fighting they were on there way back to the States when they were sunk. In the middle of the Atlantic, early '42. Took 'em almost four months to get to land (South America) and he had his 18th birthday in the life boat.

He was a great dad.

Cat
THAT IS an absolute epic thing. glad he made it, and glad you posted it...
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

And you know it's interesting how technology changes things. Forty one hundred a day then, was moving right along.

During the looooooooooooog Obama years, Glock got to the point where they could make 90,000 pistols, a day. A day. At that, for most of those eight horrible years they were over a million pistol backordered. Every time an injection moulding machine would open there would be two complete frames. Every 90 seconds. I wonder how many machines they have?

Cat