E.M.F. GW II 45 Colt and Factory Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

E.M.F. GW II 45 Colt and Factory Loads

Post by bcraig »

Hi
Man It has been years since I have been on the forum !
Anyway I Have a New E.M.F. GW II Gunfighter 45 Colt that I bought that should be shipped to me soon.
Curious as to what the opinion is on the this pistol ?

Will not be used for hunting just for playing around and keeping loaded on my table next to the bed in case of the unlikely event of home defense.
I was looking at the Underwood Soft cast 225 Hollow Point semi wadcutter load.it is advertised at 1050 FPS from a 7.5 inch barrel
But My pistol has a 4 3/4 inch Barrel.Wonder how much velocity loss I will have using a shorter barrel?

The Ammo is not marked Plus P so does that mean that it is Saami rated at 14000 or Less ?
Just want to make sure it is safe in the Pistol,I dont want to beat it up !!

I forgot to Mention that I got the Combo Version with the 45 Acp cylinder too.

Thanks
Craig
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: E.M.F. GW II 45 Colt and Factory Loads

Post by AJMD429 »

I heard that 50% of the blow up when you shoot them, so if you want, I'll take the risk, and you can mail it to me, and I'll test it out for a few months (or years) and let you know if it is safe.... :D

Looking forward to other forum members who actually know something about it posting.... :wink:

I do have a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt/ACP 'convertible', and I have to say it is just plain FUN to shoot 45 ACP from - feels like 22 LR in recoil, due to the massive revolver, but realizing it is a "1911 minus one shot" in terms of firepower is humbling. Then I get out the 'Cowboy' 45 Colt loads, which are slightly more powerful.....then the 'Modern' 45 Colt loads, which are close to 44 Magnum......THEN the 'Ruger Only' 45 Colt loads, which are 'bear-defense' loads..... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Any standard velocity 45 Colt loads will be fine. Just remember it ain't a Ruger so no bear loads. I prefer 200 grain bullets myself or better yet put the ACP cylinder in it and really enjoy it. I'm sure it's Italian made but I think EMF has imported more than one brand over the years.

Oh yeah, we like pictures and request a range report.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Ruger Blackhawk with both cylinders. The .45 ACP cylinder is super accurate, and mild to shoot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:43 pm Any standard velocity 45 Colt loads will be fine. Just remember it ain't a Ruger so no bear loads. I prefer 200 grain bullets myself or better yet put the ACP cylinder in it and really enjoy it. I'm sure it's Italian made but I think EMF has imported more than one brand over the years.

Oh yeah, we like pictures and request a range report.
My understanding is the GW(Great Western) II is made By Pietta and Imported By E.M.F.
My question about the Underwood ammo is if it is a Standard Load at the Saami standard of 14,000 pressure.

Thanks
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

On their site, your load isn't designated as +P as some are and doesn't seem that hot. I would shoot them.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

I contacted them and they told me it was within the SAAMI specs.