What's the holdover at 1,000 yards for a 44 Magnum...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

What's the holdover at 1,000 yards for a 44 Magnum...?

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, just ask Jerry Miculek.......and it's approximately 150 yards elevation holdover, at least if you are shooting a 44 Mag REVOLVER...... :shock:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: What's the holdover at 1,000 yards for a 44 Magnum...?

Post by claybob86 »

Any Hollywood actor could do that on the first shot, one handed with no rest! :P

That was pretty neat, thanks for the post! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's one of those, "...no I ain't doin' it again... then everyone will know it was simply luck!"... moments!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Miculek is one of the most entertaining 'great shooters' out there. I love his humorous and humble-but-talented videos.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:31 pm Miculek is one of the most entertaining 'great shooters' out there. I love his humorous and humble-but-talented videos.
Yes he is, watched his video on shooting the Coonan 357 mag 1911 alil but ago.....
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I met him Very Briefly at the NRA show in Dallas a year ago. It was in a lineup where he signed hats and such. He was polite and pleasant. There were people there keeping things moving. Still, he did not show any dislike of the proceedings. I have seen a couple of celebrities who were a little grumpy in similar situations. He was neither grumpy nor unpleasant.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

That looks like a fun afternoon at the range. :-) 8)

And he IS entertaining!

-Stretch
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Afraid if Jerry did claim hold over is 150 yds. he's either kidding, or dead wrong. It's less than 100 ft. bullet drop with a 300 gr. bullet at 1400 fps.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jerry has such a gift. Elmer would be smiling!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Any good artillery man could figure it out. Then mount the handgun securely and walk it in.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:42 am Yes he is, watched his video on shooting the Coonan 357 mag 1911 a lil bit ago.....
And I thought he was fast with a revolver!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:24 am Afraid if Jerry did claim hold over is 150 yds. he's either kidding, or dead wrong. It's less than 100 ft. bullet drop with a 300 gr. bullet at 1400 fps.
It sounded like a guess. I wonder how he 'walked it in' though... I guess if it was dusty enough a good spotter could help you get there. We sometimes hunt where there is an 800 yard long field, and I've shot 'flat' rifles that distance but can't imagine a 44 Magnum at that distance.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

At 1,000 yds. you can walk yourself in without a spotter if you've got dust and a spotting scope beside you. Of course you need to be able to set your sights somewhat close so your bullet isn't hitting at 500 yds. when you're looking for splashes near 1,000.
I've not tried 1,000 with my handguns, but have tried 500 yds. and I didn't need a spotting scope to see misses at 500 yds. I simply held over on a piece of sagebrush above and behind the dinger and when I saw the splash just below I held slightly higher. Once you find the aiming point above the target that creates a hit, it's easy to repeat it over and over. Of course the wind will create misses if it drops or changes during your shooting. But it will just miss left or right, and you need to adjust accordingly to get back on.
I did like the great way his spotter gave coordinates in calling out changes by using the target as a measurement. Having someone to spot who can tell you by "target" lengths up, down, left or right, is much better than the guy who says you're "10 ft. left" There's no way to really judge 10 ft. at 1,000 yds., but you can judge 2 targets, or one target, or half a target when you're looking at the target size in your sights. But at 1,000 yds a target will likely be the same width as your front blade if the blade is @.040" wide.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I've shot targets at 800 yards, up in Cody with John Linebaugh.
And yes, you can see the bullet strike.
I've never held over the target.
Set the target on top of the front sight. Simply drop the back sight down the front sight until you find the sweet spot. My hunting sixguns have a 200 yard mark on the rear of the front sight blade.
However, if you have a short front sight, you will end up down on the barrel ... :D

Looking at the Speer Reloading Manual Long Range Ballistics Tables, the Keith .44 SWC has a BC of .185 ...
at 1500 fps, zeroed at 100 yards, at 500 yards it will drop 311 inches. That's 25 feet.
Zeroed at 300 yards the drop is 184 inches or 15 feet.

Of course those figures are approximations. Temperature, Humidity, Altitude, and other things will affect it. But they are "ballpark close."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...I did like the great way his spotter gave coordinates in calling out changes by using the target as a measurement. Having someone to spot who can tell you by "target" lengths up, down, left or right, is much better than the guy who says you're "10 ft. left" There's no way to really judge 10 ft. at 1,000 yds., but you can judge 2 targets, or one target, or half a target when you're looking at the target size in your sights...."
Yeah that makes way more sense; even if the target is taller than wide or whatever, you know exactly what the spotter means when they say "go up two targets and left a half a target".

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

JimT wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:28 am I've shot targets at 800 yards, up in Cody with John Linebaugh.
Set the target on top of the front sight. Simply drop the back sight down the front sight until you find the sweet spot. My hunting sixguns have a 200 yard mark on the rear of the front sight blade.
However, if you have a short front sight, you will end up down on the barrel ... :D

Looking at the Speer Reloading Manual Long Range Ballistics Tables, the Keith .44 SWC has a BC of .185 ...
at 1500 fps, zeroed at 100 yards, at 500 yards it will drop 311 inches. That's 25 feet.

Of course those figures are approximations. Temperature, Humidity, Altitude, and other things will affect it. But they are "ballpark close."
Jim, I'm not certain I could have much success with repeat shots using your method unless I had marks on the top of the barrel or frame to reference where the rear sight notch was? It seems like picking a spot on the top of the barrel, and putting the blade on the target would be somewhat random to me?
Picking an object on the background of the longrange dinger worked well for me, and especially so if there was wind and I could retain elevation, but hold on another object off to one side.
Tough to have a zero at anything near 100 yds. let alone 300 yds. with a handgun, so the drop or arc will be much higher than those 100 yd. and 300 yd. calculations.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:15 am
JimT wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:28 am I've shot targets at 800 yards, up in Cody with John Linebaugh.

Jim, I'm not certain I could have much success with repeat shots using your method unless I had marks on the top of the barrel or frame to reference where the rear sight notch was? It seems like picking a spot on the top of the barrel, and putting the blade on the target would be somewhat random to me?
Picking an object on the background of the longrange dinger worked well for me, and especially so if there was wind and I could retain elevation, but hold on another object off to one side.
Tough to have a zero at anything near 100 yds. let alone 300 yds. with a handgun, so the drop or arc will be much higher than those 100 yd. and 300 yd. calculations.
I was kinda joking about using the barrel. Only gun I ever had to drop that low on was a 1911 shooting at 500 yards or so.

My long-range .45 Colt .. using 300 gr. cast bullets at 1100/1200 fps. The mark on the sight is the 200 yard hold. Use a 6 O'clock hold on the target, drop the back sight down to the mark if it's at or near 200 yards. Note that it only uses about 1/3 of the sight. Dropping on down a ways you can lob them in out at 800 yards no problem. I have not shot much further than a half mile with these loads.
IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0829.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

300 grain at 1200 probably puts a hole in anything it hits. Not too far from trap door loads.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:25 pm 300 grain at 1200 probably puts a hole in anything it hits. Not too far from trap door loads.
I was with Bob Baker, John Taffin and some other guys, shooting at a deserted cabin at about 600 yards or so many years ago. When we went over to check we found all the loads we shot .. 44 Magnum w/Keith SWC ... my 300 gr. 45's ... 454's ... 475 and 500's .. all went through the front logs .. some went through the back wall logs .. especially the 454's .. 475's and 500's.
bcraig
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcraig »

Here is a couple of drop charts for specific 44 Mag loads.Just so there is not much Guessing !Link not working like I wanted it to so I will figure
http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/ 240 Black Hills a 1259FPS /-2,793
http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/300 Grain Black Hills at about 1150 FPS/-2,479 Inches
http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/320 Hardcast at about 1175 FPS/-2,277 Inches

http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/45 Colt Corbon 300 Gr JSP + P at 1300 FPS/-2,378 inches
http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/45 Colt Hornady Cowboy load 255 Grain Bullet at 725 FPS/-6,797 Inches

These drops are in inches,for the Drop in yards divide by 36
Sighted in at 50 Yards
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just ran it for a 338 Lapua 300 gr @ 2800 fps zeroed at 100 yards....it says the drop is 47.8 inches at 1,000 yards.

44 Mag Pistol velocities with the same weight bullet get you around 2,400 inches of drop..... :shock:

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Most of my old single shot rifles have about 50'-60' arc in the flight from muzzle to 1,000 yds. Most are in the 1350-1400 fps range. Bullet weights are what varies the amount of arc or drop.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The bullet nose shape probably has some effect on bullet drop, but at 1,000 yards it is dropping enough that most of us would not be able to tell the difference.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I loved shooting the White Buffalo at The Whittington Center. And watching others shoot it. I was with a friend who was shooting and old Whitworth rifle. He had it sighted in on the buffalo and a rain squall came through between us and the target. Firing through the rain changed the point of impact dramatically. I understood the concept but had never actually witnessed it before that.

I forget the drop he had with that old rifle but it was a long ways ..
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Elmer Keith knew what the holdover was for 600 yd shooting because he's made hits at that distance with a 44 magnum revolver. Don't remember if he elaborated on it though. I'm sure Bob Munden had reasonable experience trying it as well.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

kaschi wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:02 pm Elmer Keith knew what the holdover was for 600 yd shooting because he's made hits at that distance with a 44 magnum revolver. Don't remember if he elaborated on it though. I'm sure Bob Munden had reasonable experience trying it as well.
Elmer spoke occasionally about his long shots over 400 yds. in his writings. I personally thought his shots on game animals were reckless and irresponsible because he talked about walking them in. If you can't hit a pie plate every shot, you shouldn't be shooting at game at whatever distance you can't do so.
Thought Bob was a fast draw and excellent shot when I watched his shooting demonstration he did here. But never heard of him doing any long range shooting with handguns?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:38 am At 1,000 yds. you can walk yourself in without a spotter if you've got dust and a spotting scope beside you. Of course you need to be able to set your sights somewhat close so your bullet isn't hitting at 500 yds. when you're looking for splashes near 1,000.
I've not tried 1,000 with my handguns, but have tried 500 yds. and I didn't need a spotting scope to see misses at 500 yds. I simply held over on a piece of sagebrush above and behind the dinger and when I saw the splash just below I held slightly higher. Once you find the aiming point above the target that creates a hit, it's easy to repeat it over and over. Of course the wind will create misses if it drops or changes during your shooting. But it will just miss left or right, and you need to adjust accordingly to get back on.
I did like the great way his spotter gave coordinates in calling out changes by using the target as a measurement. Having someone to spot who can tell you by "target" lengths up, down, left or right, is much better than the guy who says you're "10 ft. left" There's no way to really judge 10 ft. at 1,000 yds., but you can judge 2 targets, or one target, or half a target when you're looking at the target size in your sights. But at 1,000 yds a target will likely be the same width as your front blade if the blade is @.040" wide.
I used a similar system to win bets at a local (sadly closed) range years ago. I'd bet I could hit a 100 yd gong with a 1911. I was only able to sucker anyone once, but there always seemed to be some blowhard that said a .45 acp wouldn't shoot that far. My trick, there was a big rock on the berm above the gong. Hold on that and clang.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It's humorous that some people think old rifles, and any pistol wont shoot farther than 100 yds. and even less for pistols. It's like they believe a bullet leaves the barrel and hits some invisible barrier and drops from the sky.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

On that TV show hosted by Jim Scouten was where I saw Bob Munden doing a lot of segments of long range handgun shooting. Yeah, he "walked them in" to the target but was entertaining. He seemed like the kind of guy you'd love to sit and talk to all day.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

.45-70 at Two Miles: The Sandy Hook Tests of 1879:

http://researchpress.co.uk/index.php/fi ... -hook-1879
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Kind of amazing how far a bullet can actually travel.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

claybob86 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:54 pm .45-70 at Two Miles: The Sandy Hook Tests of 1879:

http://researchpress.co.uk/index.php/fi ... -hook-1879
More on that....

A bit about the 'poster' - https://www.chamberit.com/products/45-7 ... nts-poster

"...The Springfield rifle weighed about 9.6 pounds, had a rifle barrel 33 inches long with a bore diameter of .450-inch, three grooves and a right hand twist and groove depth of .005-inch. It fired the then standard Service round consisting of the 405-grain bullet in the rimmed straight case 2.1 inches long with 70 grains of black powder giving a muzzle velocity (MV) of 1,350 feet-per-second (fps)..."

"...n these firing experiments, two telephones provided with Blake transmitters were used for timing the bullet's flight. One was placed within a few feet of the rifle, to receive and transmit the sound of the shot. The other Blake unit was nearly two miles downrange in the shelterproof, which was located about 30 feet in front of the right edge of the target. At the instant the sound of the discharge was heard over the telephone, a watch ticking fourth-seconds was started. At the sound of the bullet striking target or sand, it was stopped. Average time of flight for the .45-70-500-grain load was 21.2 seconds, With the more powerful .45-80-500-grain cartridge the time-of-flight was 20.8 seconds.]/i\..."

(above from http://researchpress.co.uk/index.php/fi ... 79?start=1)

Shooting a 45-70 upside-down* at 1080 yards....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zruU2xLcm1o

(* in Australia :wink: )