hardships of sheltering in place:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

hardships of sheltering in place:

Post by hfcable »

I am still working full time at age 72 1/2 but going to start working only 2 weeks a month soon. as some know, I have a severe primary [ genetic ] immune deficiency, so I have retreated to our place on the lake , well away from anchorage. it is not off the grid, but I am on my own here. I can do a certain amount of work from here...I have the top notch copmputing setup so I can read MRIs, CTs, etc but of course I cant see the patients and do the injection procedures, and I really miss that. some of these folks I have helped for many, many years....but hopefully this time will pass

in the meantime, this gives me the evenings and weekends to sort out my things and stuff -- and that is fun.

I do have enough stuff to keep me from boredom:
the gun room is here

and the sunrises over the frozen lake are beautiful

and I do get a few outside visitors

Last edited by hfcable on Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

finding things

Post by hfcable »

I cleaned out the place under the stairs outside the gun room. it has been stacked several feet deep since I got this place in 2010. my, my ! I found a MEC reloader for 16 gauge with lots of extras, that I had been looking for since 2012 ! got it from a friend on this board. it is going into action now. and a lot of other things were discovered

ammo / reloading room I starting to take shape now:

my daughter sent me the warning sign. I have got my reloader set up for short [ 2 7/8" ] ten gauge and am cranking them out for goose hunting this fall
cable
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Re: hardships of sheltering in place:

Post by TraderVic »

I think you need another retired guy (I volunteer) to help you clean & shoot your guns. I also reload.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

lot of other stuffs

Post by hfcable »

I found a lof the native American and old west items I had collected over the years but not gotten to display. they go pretty well with some of my collection of guns:

I am going to sort lots more things and makes some more pictures. these are cell phone picss and I do not have the photo skills that most people who post here do,
but still it is fun !
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:10 pm I think you need another retired guy (I volunteer) to help you clean & shoot your guns. I also reload.
when the isolation part is over , I will need help !

I am overloading on coffee and cookies too !
cable
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy freaking smokes! Gun room envy. :mrgreen:

Very nice sir. Stay safe. My son and his family are on Kodiak. She is due in a month and we are hopeful she won't have to go to Anchorage. Kodiak has been fairly safe.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Looks like you found the perfect place to take shelter, I thought I was doing well until I saw your pictures....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Stay safe and please keep posting.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very impressive indeed, cool stuff. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

OldWin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:16 pm Holy freaking smokes! Gun room envy. :mrgreen:

Very nice sir. Stay safe. My son and his family are on Kodiak. She is due in a month and we are hopeful she won't have to go to Anchorage. Kodiak has been fairly safe.
good luck to her, they have good facilities in Kodiak and she should be fine there. in some ways we are lucky, it is a little easier to stay away from this bug in this sparsely populated state.
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I didn't identify the guns: the rifle is an 1873 whitney-kennedy in 44/40.. it was a competitor to Winchesters 1873 but quite a bit more expensive and didn't sell well.

the lever is the old 'rat tail ' or serpentine type. the bore is mirror bright....don't think this ever saw much use. it shoots really well, and the action is quite smooth.

who can identify the shotgun, and why does it have two trigger guards and 3 triggers ?
cable
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Nice Whitney-Kennedy! I handled one at a gun show once: Smooooooth. Burgess is an under-appreciated designer.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Life is good...

:wink:
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

hfcable wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:45 pm I didn't identify the guns: the rifle is an 1873 whitney-kennedy in 44/40.. it was a competitor to Winchesters 1873 but quite a bit more expensive and didn't sell well.

the lever is the old 'rat tail ' or serpentine type. the bore is mirror bright....don't think this ever saw much use. it shoots really well, and the action is quite smooth.

who can identify the shotgun, and why does it have two trigger guards and 3 triggers ?
Is it a drilling ?
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:17 pm
hfcable wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:45 pm I didn't identify the guns: the rifle is an 1873 whitney-kennedy in 44/40.. it was a competitor to Winchesters 1873 but quite a bit more expensive and didn't sell well.

Is it a drilling ?
it is a Whitney 16 ga double, design dates from 1869 I think. the front trigger is the release to break open the shot gun. odd arrangement. it has really short chambers, I think about 2 " . I may fit adapters to the chamber and fire low pressure 2.5" 410 shells , just for fun. the old shotgun is in pretty nice condition for its age, of approximately 150 years ! the rifle is about 147 years old too !

billy the kid, used a whitney just like this to kill the sheriff's deputy and escape. have seen pics of that gun which is in a museum somewhere.
Last edited by hfcable on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cable
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Interesting, a good history lesson today.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

hfcable wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:38 pm
OldWin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:16 pm Holy freaking smokes! Gun room envy. :mrgreen:

good luck to her, they have good facilities in Kodiak and she should be fine there. in some ways we are lucky, it is a little easier to stay away from this bug in this sparsely populated state.
Thank you Sir! Yes, while we have some cases here, Maine is sparsely populated also. It's fairly easy to stay away. :D
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

KWK wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:28 pm Nice Whitney-Kennedy! I handled one at a gun show once: Smooooooth. Burgess is an under-appreciated designer.
yes, he was. I have an 1878 Burgess 45/70 [ actually I have two of them ] , the first commercially available 45/70 lever gun. it was short lived but really was the predecessor of the 1881 Marlin which was successful [ there is one of each of them , I think in the first row of my gunracks in the pictures ].
cable
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

hfcable wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:21 pm
KWK wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:28 pm Nice Whitney-Kennedy! I handled one at a gun show once: Smooooooth. Burgess is an under-appreciated designer.
yes, he was. I have an 1878 Burgess 45/70 [ actually I have two of them ] , the first commercially available 45/70 lever gun. it was short lived but really was the predecessor of the 1881 Marlin which was successful [ there is one of each of them , I think in the first row of my gunracks in the pictures ].
I agree with Burgess being short changed by history.
I had a 24" 1881 Marlin 45-70 for many years. It is a pretty compact and well thought out design.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

"He who dies with the most toys wins." I give up. You win. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Truth is I have all the guns I want but I envy your place on the lake with moose in the yard. Nice beadwork. What's the single action?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:03 pm "He who dies with the most toys wins." I give up. You win. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Truth is I have all the guns I want but I envy your place on the lake with moose in the yard. Nice beadwork. What's the single action?
that particular one is a Pietta in 357 mag. It is high polish stainless steel, and has fine wood and metal fitting and finish. excellent trigger and shoots right to point of aim at 25 yds with 158 gr loads.

I was going to put a nickeled colt in that holster [ dual cylinder with 44 sp and 44/40 ] and probably will take that pic next. the drawers under these cabinets are fairly filled with handguns and some knifes too.

I honestly do have way too many guns. there are quite a few packed away, for lack of space in that room. I probably need to join a 12 step help group for gun addicts. I am going to thin the herd a good bit ….its shameful .. but I have another safe and closet stuffed full in town, and a big safe stuffed nearly full down in our place in Bozeman MT
cable
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Awesome....ENJOY what you've worked so hard for all these years...! :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:25 pm Awesome....ENJOY what you've worked so hard for all these years...! :mrgreen:
thank you !! it is an amazing feeling to have time to yourself, as you well know. I cant help still feeling guilty somehow, even though I know that i do have to stay in isolation. I suspect this bug could make really short work of me. [ I have had gram negative sepsis 5 times and survived. ] my primary care doctor and good friend is a cat lover, and says if I was one of his cats , he would say that I had already used up at least 8.39 of my nine lives !!!
Last edited by hfcable on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
cable
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Beautiful, thanks for sharing all of that with us.
Question, what kind of winter have you had in Alaska, I always hear how warm it is getting to be there,
My friend in Kodiak said they have had lots of cold and snow, what about there where you are ?
I am often on Prince of Wales Island, seems they still have lots of winter.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Looks like good stuff, best wishes.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

daisygordoninc wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:31 am Beautiful, thanks for sharing all of that with us.
Question, what kind of winter have you had in Alaska, I always hear how warm it is getting to be there,
My friend in Kodiak said they have had lots of cold and snow, what about there where you are ?
I am often on Prince of Wales Island, seems they still have lots of winter.
this has been a real winter. lots of snow ,still about 20" in my yard. quite a bit of sub zero cold, its 9 degrees F outside this morning. some winters have been quite warm [ by our standards ]

i think weather is just , well, weather . climates and weather change and always have. i prefer a winter like this one, but it could start letting up now and that would be nice :D
cable
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:16 pmHoly freaking smokes! Gun room envy. :mrgreen:
times 2!!! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I really was a fool. Should have went to night school!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm showing Mrs. YK your gun room picture next time she complains about all my stuff! :mrgreen:
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

glad to be of help YK !

and now for todays featured obscurities:

this was the first successful [ briefly ] lever action repeater for the government cartridge: the 1878 Burgess. it worked but for various reasons Andrew Burgess didn't make a go of it on his own, and this design lead to the 1881 Marlin which was a good bit better and which was a lasting commercial success.

Chief Joseph, Nez Perce, of " I will fight no more forever " fame, had one of these as seen in a photograph from those days.

the revolver is an 1858 Remington cartridge conversion in .45 colt

stay tuned and I will dig up some more interesting stuff !
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the looks of that rifle. May not have been a commercial success, but it was certainly a big step in the right direction.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Love Whitney-Kennedy's, particularly the large frames. My greatest missed gun opportunity was a W-K 40-65 with an even patina and nearly perfect bore for $750. It had clearly been used a lot but was very well taken care of and when I put it to my shoulder it felt like it was made for me. I was in college and trapping was paying the bills (also providing most of my meat). I offered all the cash I had and a bunch of prime coyote along with the best bobcat I've ever taken and the guy wouldn't go for it. Sometimes I dream about that rifle.

Awesome gunroom and a beautiful rifle.

Eric
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

thanks, that would have been a good one to grab. I have bid on lots of whitney-kennedy large frames but have yet to get one, but I will keep trying. would like one in 45/60, as it would be very useful and easy to feed.
cable
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Very impressive I know you don't have to go far out of Anchorage either south or north to find the lakes, enjoy and be careful.
It is not the critic who counts