Legendary WW2 Aircraft

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Legendary WW2 Aircraft

Post by rock-steady »

I found this video on youtube while showing my grandson some "a-planes".

He don't care much for modern jet aircraft. He likes the old piston and rotary engine sounds.

https://youtu.be/6dwgLvGs6uE
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Legendary WW2 Aircraft

Post by Merle »

rock-steady wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:49 am I found this video on youtube while showing my grandson some "a-planes".

He don't care much for modern jet aircraft. He likes the old piston and rotary engine sounds.

https://youtu.be/6dwgLvGs6uE

really nice - thank you! :D
Merle from PA
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

rock-steady wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:49 am He don't care much for modern jet aircraft. He likes the old piston and rotary engine sounds.
Somebody is raising that boy right! The kid has class! :wink:

I liked them all, but especially those that my Dad crewed in WWII -- the Spitfire, P47 Thunderbolt and the P51 Mustang. Love that B model 'Stang with the Malcolm Hood! Notice the small rear-facing mirrors on the Hurricane and Spitfires; the Yank pilots who flew with the RAF Eagle Squadrons carried those over to their T-Bolts and Mustangs when they joined the U.S. 8th Air Force.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I'm also with the kid! Something went out of my interest in planes when I say my first jet (in 1949?), probably a P-80 Shooting Star from Hamilton Air Force Base about 20 miles south of our ranch.

Every few years the Navy and Marines would hold a war game off the Northern California coast sending strike aircraft to test the AA defenses of the San Francisco Bay area. We lived on the north side of a long ridge called Sonoma Mountain, which was split at the western end by a narrow canyon called Burns Canyon, the eastern border of our ranch.

Sonoma Mountain made a great radar shield for the "raiders" because it ran west to east about 18-20 miles north of the northern radar sites protecting SF and the air base. They would fly up Bennett Valley north of the mountain (right on the deck and shielded from radar) and "pop through" canyon, flying right at the airbase.

At first all the raiders seemed to be flying Corsairs, but in later "strikes" it was a mixture of Corsairs and Skyraiders, then Panther jets and Skyraiders, then A-4 Skyhawks. Great fun to watch, especially since we knew just how narrow that canyon was--fitting an AD through there took some serious 'nads and skill! This usually happened at dawn before school, which gave us a great view of the "raid."

Better positioning of radars and Nike batteries ended those shows, but not before we got to see an A-4 do a dummy run of the "A-bomb toss" high speed climb-and-roll maneuver! Bye-bye Frisco!
I later saw NATO maneuvers in Spain where an F-5 did one of those using the Sierra Morena for a radar shield to "hit" a Spanish city (can't remember which one). He added a sonic boom to HIS run!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

rock-steady wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:49 amHe likes the old piston and rotary engine sounds.
Who doesn't?! That Soviet Rat is a neat sounding work.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that was a treat! I followed that with the P-38 documentary, which is well worth the time.