10 days in, 2 weeks to go - at least

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

10 days in, 2 weeks to go - at least

Post by AmBraCol »

2020 has been even busier down here than usual. Can't seem to figure out if I'm coming or going, or at least until 10 days ago when we were ordered to "shelter in place" until April 13. There are some very specific reasons for which we can leave the house, but other than walking the dogs we've mostly been at home - and busier than ever. Figuring out ways to keep on with our work from home has been entertaining, at least. We're actually keeping busier than ever as we field a lot of calls that probably come under the "mental health care" category as folks spend too much time listening to the "news media" and need a fresh perspective on life.

It's been interesting to observe the progression on the current pandemic scare. I can pretty much tell who's listening to which "news" source by whom is considered to blame for the entire fiasco. Here in Coffee Country it seems like each alcalde and governor is vying with the rest to see how much of a petty tyrant they can be during this episode of "Globalization Comes Home To Roost". This is also mirrored in the actions of some of those who are in the enforcement of laws and regulations line of work. I far prefer the old idea of "peace officer", a person who took it upon themselves to use common sense and compassion to ensure that the purpose of the laws and regulations was enforced but with enough horse sense to know when to stretch things a bit or look the other way.

So we've been "sheltering in place" for 10 days now. I've made a couple of excursions out to take care of necessary things, once to take care of some banking needs, once to take the dogs for their anual shots and to buy and deliver groceries to folks severely affected by the shutdown. That was an easy run to make as I had the dogs' shot papers with me and our mixed breed bundle of good will and enthusiastic greeting is labeled as "pitbull" on her's, so the argument would have been "Her shots are due, we can't have her coming down with hydrophobia while everyone's locked down, can we?" Thankfully we didn't have that talk as we weren't stopped anywhere along the way. Parked in the shade at the grocery store, left the windows down a bit just in case and stood in line for a half hour or more just to get in the door.

Once inside the process of selecting fresh fruits and vegetables along with various non-perishable dry groceries began. Everywhere were signs stating "Only three items per shopper", but I was buying for four families. Loaded down the cart and got up to the checkout line. Once it was my turn I asked the cashier's help to place the identical items in four different bags. A young lady came over to help bag and no mention was made of the one item over in each category as I made it plain it wasn't for personal use but to help those in need. Most folks seem to be more than willing to lend a helping hand when it's made clear it's to help the less fortunate.

Drove to the vets' place. They live on the premises and I'd called to make sure they had the necessary supplies. They are members of the church and so this was the one "pastoral visit" I've been able to make since all this hit the fan. They're in good spirits, although their business is greatly affected by the shutdown. The girls were happy to see them despite the indignity of the thermometer up the unmentionable and the needle arrogant idiots between their shoulder blades. Yeah, our dogs are defective, they love to go see the vets.

From there it was off to the church's meeting place, just around the corner from one of the families the groceries were for. I opened up, grabbed some things we needed, emptied the pantry of perishable items and closed up, delivered one set of groceries and headed towards home via the shortcut. You know that the shortcut is always longer and wanders around a bit, right? But still plausible deniability, "Just got the dogs vaccinated and am heading home!" - but nobody asked so didn't need to tell them. Stopped by another of the families place to drop off their groceries on the way home, but didn't stretch things by trying to deliver the other two sets.

My wife called one of the families and the mother rode her scooter over and we loaded her up and sent her on her way. Folks can get out to go shopping, so she also had an excuse to be out and about. We called another of the families and he came by in the company vehicle he drives as a delivery man. He came by and took the things to a family that's shut in and has no resources.

One of the ladies from the church called and the dropped by and left 8 bags of groceries plus some plantains from her farm to help others with. I'd picked up some more items on my way home from the last grocery run so we've been handing that out to folks over the weekend.

I really don't know what's going to happen to the economy here. Folks are hurting bad as most live practically hand to mouth. We've used personal and mission funds as best we can to "help the one in front of you" and several locals (including folks who aren't from the church) have funneled funds our way to help purchase needed items for families in need. At this point we're still two weeks away from the initially declared end of the quarantine order - but no idea if it'll end then or if they'll order a longer lock down.

It's kind of ironic that the "ancient chinese curse" (may you live in interesting times) should come to pass due to a novel chinese virus...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 10 days in, 2 weeks to go - at least

Post by gamekeeper »

Lock down for me hasn't been too different to normal. I'm pretty isolated from folks where I live and I keep a few supplies in . It must be very different living in a foreign country with responsibility for less fortunate folks. I hope you get through this current crisis without too much drama, stay safe out there..
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Paul, you are still in my prayers. For me, this is all pretty much business as usual.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've been practicing 'social isolation' for over half a century, so not much change for me on the home-front. Work is the same, since I'm a physician and wife and kid nurses. All of us will likely be exposed to the cv19, or more likely, already have. Work is different, though, because everyone is more on-edge, even more nervous about whether payroll will bounce, since we are doing more stuff over the phone, and the insurance industry typically only reimburses stuff done 'face-to-face' in health care. Patients mostly have been patient (pun for BlaineG), but a few have been demanding, and one screamed at my staff that they were a 'bunch of [fornicat]ing whores' because we dared to charge a $10 'stat refill fee' when they wanted a same-day refill. Patients have no clue that to simply 'refill a prescription' we have to get their chart and review it and find out WHY they are out of something before an appointment (almost always it is because they have failed to do some medically necessary followup required for their safety, such as blood tests to make sure the medication isn't causing harm). Then we typically find out they are way overdue for lab tests. Call them back and tell them. They lost the order. We re-write the order, adding the additional labs that are now due since it has been six months instead of two months. They insist we mail it, so by now we've tied up a $20/hr employee for 30 minutes, and will toss in an envelope and stamp. AND then they decide to 'just stop by' because we are sitting around with nothing to do, and tell the front office they are here to pick up a lab order. The back office handled all the previous issue, as it was 'clinical', so the front office looks in the lab-copy drawer, makes a copy of THAT lab order, and gives it to the patient. The updated lab order is in the 'inbox' for the front office, but not in the drawer yet, so he has the old order. So next time when he comes in for followup, he'll be angry that "we gave him the wrong order".... :roll:

Sometimes people drive you nuts.....

On top of that, we had put our last box of face masks up front with a note that said "please put on a mask IF you are symptomatic"......sixty masks were gone by the end of the day, and we only saw 17 patients.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429, it sounds as if you have real patients. I hear people complain every day about not wanting to get lab tests done. They think that their condition will never ever change, and that they should get their medicine without any question forever. Oh Boy! We get cursed out when we pass the word along that the request for a refill was denied for overdue labs. People are amazingly unconcerned with their health until they have a serious emergency. Of course, it is never their fault.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When the Doctor's Office and the Pharmacy work together, it seems as if the insurance companies work to undermine them. I took a call last week from an insurance company. Someone wanted their "hypercordrone two weeks early because they wouldn't be able to get out in two weeks. The insurance approved it and called us to tell us to fill it. We refused. There is no Shelter in place order here. The State has not relaxed the 3 days early maximum rule on controlled substances. We can FedEx it to them. No! Not happening. I got cursed at for denying the insurance company's allowance. The patient. The insurance company employee was rude, too.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

By the way, it was hydrocodone with acetaminophen. Norco. That they wanted.
D. Brian Casady