Operation Paperclip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Operation Paperclip

Post by AJMD429 »

Interesting WW-2 intrigue -

https://youtu.be/HHs5M3pyd3Q
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Operation Paperclip

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Living here less than an hour from White Sands Missile Range HQ -- with its V-2 at the museum -- I run into many who knew and worked with Von Braun's men.
I believe one of the most respected steak houses in Texas -- the Cattleman's Steakhouse at Indian Cliffs in Faben -- was started by the son of one of the German scientists.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am not a bit surprised.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

From the bit of drivel I heard before I closed the link it sounds like a bit of revisionist history. The US knew what they were doing. They knew the background of those they took out of Germany. They also knew that if they didn't the Russians would take them. The cold war started well before the war in Europe finished.

While we didn't stop the Russians from developing nuclear weapons or the means to deliver them. We sure as heck slowed them down.

We used them. They were rewarded by being allowed to survive the war and live in a free country. Nothing new in this type of tit for tat. It's been going on as long as two people lived in the same cave.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Err... post WWII intrigue.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

jeepnik wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:12 pm From the bit of drivel I heard before I closed the link it sounds like a bit of revisionist history. The US knew what they were doing. They knew the background of those they took out of Germany. They also knew that if they didn't the Russians would take them. The cold war started well before the war in Europe finished.

While we didn't stop the Russians from developing nuclear weapons or the means to deliver them. We sure as heck slowed them down.

We used them. They were rewarded by being allowed to survive the war and live in a free country. Nothing new in this type of tit for tat. It's been going on as long as two people lived in the same cave.
Exactly.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Way back in the day in grammar school in the heart of dixie you heard about and were tested on werner von braun and his crew until you were sick of it and never wanted to ever hear of nazi rocket scientists ever again....

But then again it was still novel and exciting......I remember wanting to be a nasa astronaut somewhere in between a garbage truck aft-rider (c'mon back leroy), an over the road trucker, or an itinerant gospel missionary.....
m.A.g.a. !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It's my bed time so I couldn't listen to much of that but I have been reading about operation paper clip for over 40 years. I have no reason to doubt the fact that it happened. I know some sources also claim that after WWII we were on a somewhat friendly basis with Russia. We actually split up resources that Germany had, some of it being their brain trusts although I don't know what kind of scientists Russia got.
I read once ( and I can neither prove nor disprove) that around Huntsville, Al there is a large number of German restaurants. That is because a large number of the Van Braun team were sent there and the American Gov't wanted to do everything they could to make them feel at home.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.