Positive comments about Buck Knives

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Positive comments about Buck Knives

Post by wecsoger »

Short version : was searching internet for a particular Buck knife. Nowhere available. Emailed their customer service. Couple days later, got a reply, 'yes, we have one for you, call this number'. I did, and the agent said,'oh, she said you would call, she's got the knife set out for you'. Wow. Made arrangements on phone, couple days later it was in my mailbox.

Longer version: I regard the Buck 110 (and it's smaller relative, the Ranger 112) as _the_ perfect work/outdoor folding knife. Been through couple of the wood/brass versions. When Buck brought out their "LT" version, same blade, super tough and very light nylon handle, I got one immediately. Excellent knife, half the price. Another selling point is it has a lanyard hole.

Of course I got the Ranger 112 LT version too.

These are in black. For a short time, I saw Smoky Mountain Knife Works website had them in *orange*, an easy sell for me. Just as quickly they went out of stock and no one knew what I was talking about. I was even at the store in April and they knew nothing. Searches on the internet, zip.

So I emailed Buck. Now I've got on my desk an *orange* 110 and I just finished weaving up a lanyard on it. Bright orange. Impossible-to-miss-on-the-ground-when-you-drop-it orange.

Only minor gripe is blade spine is not quite flat enough to scrap a firesteel - easily corrected.

So Buck Knives has my continued loyalty for their excellent customer service and of course a good product. I'm pleased supporting someone who ground the blade and molded the handle was someone in the U.S.A.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Positive comments about Buck Knives

Post by claybob86 »

What a nice CS experience! I like Bucks too. 8)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My old 110 is a great knife, still in it's original leather sheath. No idea how many deer were eviserated with it. I too had a Buck Lite as they called it, was OD green, sadly it was lost when the bottom of the nylon sheath wore through. I had bad luck with the Buck fixed blades, every one I bought I lost in the woods!

Buddy I deer hunted with was color blind- the orange knives weren't any help for him, lost a bunch of knives! He bought a 112 with the S30V steel- boy does that steel hold an edge!

Nothing wrong with a Buck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

+1 Buck Knives!
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Atwoods farm and ranch supply had a bunch of those 110s with the orange handle. My son and I each got one. Atwoods was still selling them a couple of weeks ago. Several years ago I got the S30V version of the 110 for my son on the advice of Denis Prisbrey. Denis had written an article on knives for a magazine that was all about prepping. I PMed him on here and asked him some questions. He answered, and I got that knife. My son still has it and it holds a great edge.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Been carrying Buck knives for the last 50 years or so. Lost one or two, TSA got a few also years ago :cry:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Picture of one of my bucks. A David Yellowhorse.

https://i.postimg.cc/W16Q9CCW/Colt-SAA-SA-22235.jpg
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i want the push button switchblade buck knife but it is not legal here in md :roll:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Stopped in Atwoods in Waxahachie, TX yesterday on my way to work. They had the orange handle version in the plastic packaging hanging on peg hooks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sorry about the glare.
D. Brian Casady
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Somewhere I have a orange handled knife something like that with a odd switchblade. It has a curved blade for cutting parachute cord. I think my uncle gave it to me when I was a kid as he was in the 82nd AB during war 2.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Somewhere I have a orange handled knife something like that with a odd switchblade. It has a curved blade for cutting parachute cord. I think my uncle gave it to me when I was a kid as he was in the 82nd AB during war 2.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In the Army, one Sergeant had an orange handled Camillus Switchblade that had been issued to him sometime. It was dull as a ball bearing since he didn't know how to sharpen a knife.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Probably nothing made better, or with a better warranty than a Buck (at working man prices).....I have a couple pocket knives. I got away from the full size hunting models about 1980...I found the steel a bit too brittle, and way too hard to sharpen in the field. I managed to break two of them: One I stupidly dropped on concrete and a half inch broke off the tip, and another snapped where the tang met the handguard when I was going through the pelvic bone with a twisting motion.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

That's interesting, but Waxahachie is a 15 hour drive for me right now. Would like an excuse to back to TX though.

Yes, Camillus had the orange handled switchblades, automatic opener on the main straight blade and a 'hook' blade.

I'm told they were intended for paratroop use, although for cutting line I would think the hook and not the blade would be auto

Air Force had them at least into the 80's when I got mine. It was in a leg pocket of a discarded aircrew flight suit.

It's really flimsy knife, main thing interesting is the switchblade operation.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I like custom knives, often costing into four figures. But of course I keep a 110 on my belt at all times even when carrying a custom fixed blade.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I searched three hours for this knife thinking it was a Buck but it`s a Schrade, back in the early 70`s if i remember right there was a guy in Easy Rider magazine that took one of these knives and ground it like this so we did.
Brings back some memories.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:09 pm I searched three hours for this knife thinking it was a Buck but it`s a Schrade, back in the early 70`s if i remember right there was a guy in Easy Rider magazine that took one of these knives and ground it like this so we did.
Brings back some memories.

Very, very cool :o 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a pair of Buck Pathfinders (105) that my dad and uncle both bought years ago and gave me when I started deer and boar hunting. Great knives! I also have my Grandfather's Case, fixed blade that I've carried quite often. Our cabin in PA is only a few miles from the Case / Zippo factories.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Have a Buck 112 that probably has ridden on my belt for the better part of 2 decades as a steady companion. Though I do change things up a fair bit, probably more lately.

If you want a noticeable outdoorsman knife, another Buck to look for is the Compadre. I believe 104 is the model number. I think they may have dropped the color, now, but I managed to get one with the "diamondwood" scales and red coating on the steel. Nice, full tang fixed blade with a very useful shape, and size. A bit over 4" blade, hollow ground, drop point with a nice belly. Made with 5160 spring steel, and comes sharp. An alright leather sheath as well.

Edited, as I meant to say 5160, rather than 1095.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.