help from Army Vets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

help from Army Vets

Post by Walker »

Fellas, need some opinions on something. My youngest (and favorite Aunt) married the best man I've ever known when I was young. He never talked about being in the Army. During one visit while home from college my aunt was telling me that she'd been in the attic and found my uncle's parachute and 'beanie'. That's the first time I remember him speaking in anything other than an even tone. "That's a beret", he said. We never asked what he did and he didn't talk about it. After he passed away almost 2 years ago we learned he was in the Army from '61 to '67 part of it in the Oklahoma National Guard we think. His DD 214 was clean, way too clean for someone in for that length of time. This was in his closet, I haven't seen the parachute or beret. From you Army guys, what's your opinion on this?
L1020280.JPG
My Aunt said he used to go on weekend jumps, and he once mentioned that being the shortest man in the unit he jumped first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: help from Army Vets

Post by Ray »

not an army vet but I think you are confusing dd-214 with service record.....

I stayed in trouble with uncle quite a bit but was just good enough to get an honorable discharge......none of my misdeeds are mentioned on my dd-214 and hurricane katrina took care of disposing of my service record.....
m.A.g.a. !
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Hi Ray, I should have said his dd-214 didn't show the school's or training I would have expected. Mine just covered 4 years in the Navy and had more than his.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is a Special Forces patch and tab. That tab tells that he earned the 18 series designator. He was a genuine Green Beret. The Beret would tell more. The Crest gives unit information. The Flash should be the one that says De Oppresso Liber. Whatever he did, he may have been no more allowed to talk about it than was Peter Hathaway Capstick. Capstick was another Green Beret.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

Making E-6 rank in 6 years tells me he was top notch.

BB
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks guys, next time I go home I'll have to dig around in her attic and get everything together for my cousin and her kids.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

If you do have his DD214 and not some other record, the DD214 should show Ranger Tab and Special Forces. A friend of mine has both along with other training/schools on his DD214.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

My little brother (CWO3, USA) is helping my Aunt clean up her attic. Found more of my Uncle's stuff. Will have better photos later...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That SF flash and crest show that he was indeed a Special Forces soldier. He was top notch, as in better than 99% of those in the Army. 18 series may or may not look all that big, but they can find their way anywhere with a map and compass. They can carry heavier loads than most, and they can pay attention to everything while doing their job. The few whom I met were polite and pleasant. Friendly? Well, pleasant would be a better term for it. Never heard them brag or really even talk about what they were doing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Flash looks like the 5th Group, which that time period means RVN, You have the DD-214 I would write the group at FT.Bragg and request information, 61-67 was a real "hot" time frame, and the boys where not setting on their butts. Between teaching us LRPS and others they where running camps and intel raids and too many other things to type, good luck in your search
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Walker, no matter what you find in the record, I appreciate the man for the things he did for MY COUNTRY.
For all those who served and read this postTHANk YOU also.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

piller wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:25 pm That SF flash and crest show that he was indeed a Special Forces soldier. He was top notch, as in better than 99% of those in the Army.
I think it's REALLY NEAT you've been able to get this info from the crew here.

As for the quote above...

Given the state of this country, I'd say he was better than 99.9% of the REST OF US -- and WAY better than 100% of "THEM".

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks guys! They've filled up a huge dumpster with almost 50 years worth of junk. I'm waiting to hear what else has been found. They now have his dress uniform and medals and two parachutes, don't have photos yet. We'll have to write the 5th SFG (thanks Dave) to get more info. If he ever reconnected with anyone from that era we didn't hear about it. The DD-214 is a big mystery.
450 Fuller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 450 Fuller »

The early 5th Group Flash attached to the beret was black During the Vietnam era, the 5th Gp flash was changed with the
Vietnamese colors diagonally across a black field. The 10th Gp flash was green. This flash resembles an 11th SFG (USAR) flash.Early VN tours were TDY out of Okinawa.
All indicators show that he was an E-6 Staff Sergeant, based on uniform. All Special Forces active duty troopers must be
parachute qualified. Those are US Para wings.
Earlier MOS was 3 prefix, later and current is 18 series. A 201 file is official records. The DD 214 will show basic MOS and some service and training, but not all
made it into the DD 214. Combat time in RVN earned a Combat Infantryman's Badge (CIB). Not automatic.

Regards;

Lt Col HR Marriott
LtCol-USA-R
10th SFG(ABN) 7th SFG (ABN) 5th SFG(ABN) MACVSOG-Vietnam (71-72) Khe Sanh
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thank you !!!