Police Firearms Instructor - Fatal Firearms Accident

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Police Firearms Instructor - Fatal Firearms Accident

Post by piller »

May he Rest In Peace. Prayers sent for comfort to those he left behind.

Safeties can and do fail. I remember something about one of our members on this forum accidentally shooting himself in the hand several years ago. I do not remember who it was, and that is not really important to me. What is important is that accidents can happen. An accident could have just as easily involved a tire blowing out or a rusted bolt breaking and causing a fatal rollover. There are no guarantees that we will live the next year, or even through tomorrow.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sad, you never know when a familiar action is going to go wrong.100% attention is not possible 100% of the time, well not for me anyway.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Can't view USA Today. It wont let me view since I have an ad blocker program running.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 am Can't view USA Today. It wont let me view since I have an ad blocker program running.
Sounds like for some reason he had taken his 'appendix carry' gun from its holster, and shot through his left thigh; he was driving and had the presence of mind to call his family and say he was headed to hospital, but he evidently passed out and wrecked his vehicle.

No way to know more details.

Personally, I won't 'appendix carry' a chambered gun of any type. Femoral artery and nerve don't like bullets. Buttcheeks or outer thighs can survive them.

I also usually carry an exposed-hammer gun designed for hammer-down carry (first shot 'double-action'), so there is no pre-stressed spring. That means WAY more force has to be applied to the trigger to set the gun off, in addition to the safety being turned off (or mechanically failing). The only ways it could fire otherwise would be if the cartridge primer just decided to detonate spontaneously (which I've never heard of happening) or the gun got subjected to such high g-forces the firing pin hit the primer (which would enough g-force to kill me anyway).

Still.....Murphy's Law is always operative....that's why I won't carry a gun pointed at a particularly vulnerable part of myself, OR in a horizontal shoulder rig, where it is pointing at the head or torso of whoever is behind you. :shock: Exception - working overnight shift alone in ghetto pharmacies years ago, but the only other person in the store was 25 yards away at the front cash register.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never found "belly gun" location to be comfortable while sitting. And I'd bet that's why he was removing it as he was driving. Probably started out and thought it was better to put it somewhere else, and somehow he touched a round off as he withdrew it. Sadly a number of mistakes made by someone who likely knew better. Can't imagine how he felt in those last minutes of his life, knowing what he'd done, and second guessing his decision.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 am Can't view USA Today. It wont let me view since I have an ad blocker program running.
Same here.

I do remember though several years ago a deputy from a sheriff's dept in south central Florida doing the same thing.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.