What do you guys that have Ultrasonic cleaners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

What do you guys that have Ultrasonic cleaners

Post by 2ndovc »

Use for the cleaning fluid?

I've been looking at these for some time and need to pick one up. Many of my dad's pistols are all gummed up from lack up use and a friend gave me a couple of guns from his mother's estate that haven't been touched in thirty years or more. Everything was well preserved but they are full of dust and old oil.

Thanks,

Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What do you guys that have Ultrasonic cleaners

Post by earlmck »

When I bought my Harbor Freight special I first tried soap 'n water and was very unimpressed. Picked up a quart of the Lyman cleaner stuff and haven't used it up yet and it seems to work well. I know there are a variety of formulas out there but haven't tried any since I still have the Lyman's. I have only used it for the occasional cleaning of small batches of brass.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I use a product called Awesome that I get at the Dollar Store. Diluted 50-50 with hot water, it works well.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Mineral spirits or kerosene will work to remove gummy lubricants but it's a good idea to take it outside while it's working. I've used lots of things I had around the house and most all worked, just some were better than others. Caution; test whatever you decide to use on a place that won't be visible later, some will damage the finish. A friend picked up some kind of household super cleaner at Walmart many years ago and used it to clean the cylinder of his Italian Remington and it removed all the bluing. I wish I could remember the name of it but it was 15 years ago.

A significant part of my life was spent working on motorcycles, cars and equipment so I always have a lot of carb and brake cleaner on hand. I often remove the grips, go outside and spray them through the gun while cycling it by hand. Wear nitrile gloves and eye protection. After it drys I lube and reassemble.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

The Lyman and Simple Green for general cleaning........Kroil for when I want to really get into the nooks and crannies....yea, you can use carb cleaner and other flammable stuff too which I have used to total satisfaction........you,use a separate glass container with the Kroil and immerse that in the water..---6
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I use Lyman's Turbo Sonic.

Mostly use it to clean brass in prep for reloading.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Although I don't have a sonic cleaner I have used Naptha ( zippo fuel) for cleaning brass and guns. It evaporates and doesn't leave residue.
Another product you can try is Krud Kutter, cleaner/ degreaser and bio degrading. Very safe to use with bare skin, unlike any other solvent.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

I bought the stuff that Harbor Freight had to start with. I put three .22 LR rifle bolts and a couple of .357 nickel plated empties to see if it would harm the finish at all. Everything came out nice and clean and no damage to the finish. It sure got a ton of gunk out of those bolts. I was impressed, but I think I'll order some of the Lyman stuff. Who knows what's in that Chinese stuff, it sure has a nasty odor to it.

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's got Corona virus in it :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm It's got Corona virus in it :lol:
"Corona-Clean"

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Here's a deep-clean de-gunking method that won't cost you any money, won't harm your guns, and won't burn down your house or fill it with toxic fumes. Take a large pot. Put your handgun -- wooden grips removed, of course -- in the pot and cover with water. Add a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to maintain a slow boil, and leave it for 30 minutes, making sure you don't boil away all your water. After a half hour, rinse the gun with clean boiling water and oil it quickly and thoroughly -- quickly because it's hot and it'll dry out FAST, and you want the oil on it to prevent rusting.

Using this simple technique I have returned to service probably a dozen revolvers too gunked-up to turn, with no harm done.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

We’ve got a Lyman unit at the shop . It’s not the smallest and I don’t think the largest but it’s plenty big enough for a suppressor with room to spare . We use the Lyman stuff for both brass and steel . I usually always have a gallon of both solutions at all times .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Simple Green is very useful! Use it mostly for cleaning up carburetor's in sonics. Quite effective!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Simple Green and hot water in a Hornady sonic cleaner is what I use for cleaning gun parts
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm It's got Corona virus in it :lol:
put a squirt of lime in it! the odor will smell better. :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ve been known to use a dishwasher. Relax, I have an old one hooked up in the garage. I’d be dead if I used the one in the kitchen.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:lol: :lol:

I'll never forget the first time I cleaned my muzzle loader in my mom's bathtub. I spent hours cleaning that up! :shock: :shock:

jb 8)