Old Lever

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Old Lever

Post by draperjojo »

When he was a kid, a friend of mine found an old Winchester in a farmers field. He just sent me pics thinking he'd like to get it operating. I'm thinking...no, but what a cool wall hangar! I asked him to check the serial # but it's hard to read. It's a 25-35 WCF. The lever and the hammer work okay. What is the best way to clean it up, and where is a good place to round up some "not necessarily pretty furniture"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Lever

Post by fordwannabe »

I love it! eBay often has used wood. What is the round “wire” thing coming out the side and going towards the barrel and magazine? What does the bore look like?
Ok I get it now a nail where the pin should be. I would get that pin first. Don’t for get you will have to loosen the screw in the link before you put the new pin in as that screw is what secures the pin.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Strip it down completely and work the metal over with bronze wool or REALLY fine steel wool and Kroil or some other penetrating oil. On this one I suspect you can use a fair amount of elbow grease and not do any serious damage (usually I advise bronze and a gentle touch to avoid removing bluing. NOT an issue with this one....).

Boy, how I wish it could tell its story!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

You might check with gunsmiths in your area for a take-off stock if they haven't already used it for firewood. It might be possible to restore it to firing condition but I doubt it would be worth the cost or work even if it could be made safe. I usually use 0000 wool buy you could go with coarser, not like you are going to scratch it or remove the bluing. WD-40 is inexpensive and works well, kerosene is even cheaper and would work in this case. I would be tempted to leave the nail in it and tell everyone it was great grandpa's, killed a moose, 12 bear and 47 deer with it in his lifetime.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Please post some photos when you finish that old Winchester.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Check out how this guy does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Wb4HXa-sk

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I would just leave it as it is and hang it on the wall, good for storytelling.

Stories dont necessarily have to be entirely accurate. :lol: