This looks like a fun little 410 'lever-pistol'....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

This looks like a fun little 410 'lever-pistol'....

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Re: This looks like a fun little 410 'lever-pistol'....

Post by historicfirearms »

I don't know what use I have for one but I want one anyway. It looks like a lot of fun! The loading gate looks good too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The BEST part is to see Jeff doing what he loves to do again..... 8) 8) 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Coolest .410 "pistol" I ever saw was a side by side shotgun with the stock cut off and blended down to the pistol grip and the barrels were cut down to about 10 - 12 inches. It was used as a snake gun by a caretaker at a private lake. This was a very long time ago, probably illegal now, but not then.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:38 pm The BEST part is to see Jeff doing what he loves to do again..... 8) 8) 8)
+1 fun little gun too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, thanks, YES, it is good to see Jeff back in action. He has lost a lot of weight, God bless him.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In my "mind" I'd really like to know if there's a good reason not to make these lever 410s to handle 3" shells.... :? :?:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

might not be necessary. with slugs it should be the functional equivalent of a .41 magnum, which is almost a .43 magnum :lol: I would like it more if I could put a laser sight on it .....
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think it looks fun, but I am not sure I would have a use for one. Good to see Jeff up and around. He and Boge have both had a rough time of it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:18 pm might not be necessary. with slugs it should be the functional equivalent of a .41 magnum, which is almost a .43 magnum :lol: I would like it more if I could put a laser sight on it .....
True on the slug...I was thinking more about an extra 1/2" of of birdshot....That little single shot, full choke H&R of mine will pepper the heck out of a plastic milk jug at quite a distance with 3" #4s
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I imagine that OAL concerns are why you don't see a 3" 410 levergun. Not worth making a dedicated action for a low volume product.

Eric
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I used up a couple boxes of 410 shot shells in a Marlin 444 . Yup. Fed fine. BUT, the "pattern" was two nearly perfect concentric circles on a sheet of plywood from about 12 feet.

I have no idea where the photos are. In a box somewhere. If I ever see them I'll post because they are surprising and amusing to look at
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

It might make a neat truck gun
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:18 pm might not be necessary. with slugs it should be the functional equivalent of a .41 magnum, which is almost a .43 magnum :lol: I would like it more if I could put a laser sight on it .....
About 15 years ago though, before Indiana allowed leverguns for deer, I was looking at what my 8 to 10 year old kids could use to deer hunt that would be legal, and the choices were "shotgun with slugs", "handgun over 357 caliber" and "muzzleloader". So I thought about a 410 with slugs, since the kids were petite enough a 20 gauge slug gun was kind of hard for them, but the FACTORY ballistics of the 410 slug were about like a vintage 32-20 load - sure enough you can kill a deer with that, but 'shot placement' becomes critical, and that might not have been doable with the breakopen smooth-bore 410's I had to choose from.

At the time, the typical factory slug was 1/5th ounce or 87.5 grains, at about 1800 fps... :|

...a 41 Magnum would throw twice that weight at close to the same velocity from a rifle.

Still...

a) today's 410 loads are likely better, what with the self-defense market, and
b) it would STILL be a cool gun for fun, and at least an option for home-protection 8)

I thought about using a 45 Colt/410 gun I had that was rifled. The 45 Colt cartridges (which wouldn't have been legal anyway) had such a jump to the rifling that they shot 6" groups off the bench at 15 yards.... :shock: so I pondered using metal 410 hulls and loading up some higher-weight slugs, but the next year, Indiana allowed 'pistol-cartridge leverguns', so the issue was solved.