Corona Virus

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Corona Virus

Post by Old No7 »

I guess at some point, one shouldn't make fun of this global health threat...

But then again, why not... :wink:

Old No7

Corona and Lyme.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Corona Virus

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve kinda been watching the actual virus . I’m scheduled to fly thru Narita in March and thru Seoul on the way back in April . I realize that the majority of this things in China but Japan and South Korea aren’t that far away . I was hoping if I get the Boss’s papers taken care of and she can come over in September or October we would come thru Beijing as the cost was a good bit cheaper , but I think that option will be removed from the table .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch... I walked right into that one! :roll: :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Gee once upon a time we quarantined people coming from areas with contagious diseases. Now we scan them with a temp gun. And they are amazed that diseases go global so rapidly.

What’s really funny is WHO says it isn’t a global threat. This thing is in the wild already.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:24 am

What’s really funny is WHO says it isn’t a global threat. This thing is in the wild already.
I'll agree that at this point it doesn't represent a great threat. But every viral and bacterial disease that affects humans was in the wild at some point before it mutated and jumped the barrier to acquire the ability to infect humans. It's definitely something to keep and eye on and, as Barney Fife would say, "Nip it! Nip it in the bud!"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I sure hope it doesn't cut into the impeachment or Kobe Bryant coverage.

I guess if it gets real bad we will have to decide if we are going to live in Vegas or Boulder ("The Stand" reference) :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The mortality rate so far is quite low -- about 3 percent. Of course, the virus could "get legs" and mutate to become more communicable or severe. I am "low-hanging fruit" -- over 65, mild asthma, had pneumonia 20 years ago. I will get that second pneumonia shot very shortly.
As for Corona beer, yuck. :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I enjoy Mexican love songs. My radio is set to the Spanish stations here. I listen to them until ... at some point ... I need to go buy a Corona.
As for the virus ... I would not have heard of it if you all had not posted something about it. I don't listen to the the news .. watch it or read it.
Mark Twain said "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you read the newspaper you are misinformed." That applies to all the bastardized forms of news that has been spawned in this age.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Much hoopla. We were living in Malaysia during SARS and I traveled to Hong Kong frequently. I was much, much more worried about one of the kids getting Dengue or Malaria. None of us got anything.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 am The mortality rate so far is quite low -- about 3 percent. Of course, the virus could "get legs" and mutate to become more communicable or severe. I am "low-hanging fruit" -- over 65, mild asthma, had pneumonia 20 years ago. I will get that second pneumonia shot very shortly.
As for Corona beer, yuck. :lol:
Bill, it might not be a bad idea to get a pneumonia vaccine just as a preventative against everyday problems. There are 2 types of pneumonia vaccine. Prevnar-13 and Pneumovax. The Pneumovax is basically a twice in lifetime shot given 5 years or more apart. The Prevnar-13 can be given yearly to high risk patients, or much less often to medium or low risk patients. As far as prevention goes, plenty of sleep, moderate exercise, and eating right along with avoiding people who are coughing and sneezing all over the place is usually very good. Handwashing is also helpful. You are more likely to get the flu than to get Corona Virus. Washing your hands as needed and avoiding sick people works pretty well against the flu.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

DocRock wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:45 am Much hoopla. We were living in Malaysia during SARS and I traveled to Hong Kong frequently. I was much, much more worried about one of the kids getting Dengue or Malaria. None of us got anything.
We lived in Mozambique for 6 years. I agree Malaria or Dengue was (and is) a very much larger threat.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If that dont make you laugh,your wood must be wet!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

"made in China"
It won't last long.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was waiting to get my Pneumovax shot at the local Albertson's yesterday and watched a couple who appeared to be Chinese buy up all the face masks in the pharmacy section. Wondered if they were going to ship them home. It was a little odd as we just don't have a lot of Asian folks in this part of New Mexico. They seemed very serious.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1ZU0PH
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

I work out at Planet Fitness.... and yea I kind of wonder what is gonna happen... lots of people there huffing and puffing!

Keep your health up folks!! That is your best defense.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 amI enjoy Mexican love songs. My radio is set to the Spanish stations here. I listen to them until ... at some point ... I need to go buy a Corona.
As for the virus ... I would not have heard of it if you all had not posted something about it. I don't listen to the the news .. watch it or read it.
Mark Twain said "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you read the newspaper you are misinformed." That applies to all the bastardized forms of news that has been spawned in this age.
This!! ↑ ↑ ↑
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Up to 300 deaths and more than 14,000 REPORTED cases. The CDC has sequenced the genome.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN1ZW00F
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Per those numbers (and I trust the Chinese numbers not a bit), that's a mortality rate of 2%

I'll bet paychecks or social security checks that majority of victims had compromised immune systems, were elderly, or had other medical issues

It's still a bad number, but not the "zombies shambling through the streets martial law declared" panic reaction the so-called news media is yapping about

Spanish flu of 1918 was worse in numbers. Also what was bad about it, it killed healthy young folks, not from the flu but from an overreaction of the immune system

I understand the reaction of the doom 'n gloom'ers but it seems premature.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wec, most of the hysteria is on social media. Facebook is working overtime to take down false information.
I have not yet seen an age/pre-existing conditions profile of those killed by the virus and associated pneumonia. You are right about the Spanish flu killing young people in the prime of life.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... R-aVbHbjTE
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Our News is predicated on sensationalism. If we went back to the days of just getting information, we might go back to drawing our own conclusions and thinking for our selves.
D. Brian Casady