Big Brother is watching.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Big Brother is watching.

Post by jnyork »

I am not a member of the Tinfoil Hat Society, but things happen that make me think about joining. :shock:

A couple of weeks ago I posted, on this board and two others , a thread about my interest in items in a 1908 Sears catalog. There were quite a few replies to this thread and we had a good discussion. I did NOT mention this anywhere else on the 'web at all.

Sure enough, this mornings email brought a notice from ebay advertising several vintage Sears catalogs for sale. Makes you wonder how many outfits are watching our every word, the .gov for sure but others also.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Big Brother is watching.

Post by AJMD429 »

TONS are watching....

I don't mind that much if it is just a 'greedy capitalist' trying to sell me something (I might actually want it, if their algorithms are correct), but it is EVIL when government does it (because capitalists use 'marketing' to manipulate you, and government uses 'bullets' - or the 'bullet-lite' concept of 'taxes' [we will shoot you if you resist our imprisoning you if you resist our taking your stuff] to manipulate you).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A friend of mine had a conversation on his cell phone about some item or other he was thinking about getting, and suddenly pop-ups on social media were bombing him. I"ve never personally noticed a cell phone connection, but if you look at something on ling, Amazon will try to sell it to you in hours. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Blaine wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:30 pm A friend of mine had a conversation on his cell phone about some item or other he was thinking about getting, and suddenly pop-ups on social media were bombing him. I"ve never personally noticed a cell phone connection, but if you look at something on ling, Amazon will try to sell it to you in hours. :lol:

Your phone listens all the time -- your smart phone, anyway. Two of my cousins were discussing this one day, one calling the other paranoid about believing such a thing. So the other said, "I'll prove it to you. Start a conversation on a subject we've never discussed before." So, his brother began talking about the fact that a friend had invited him on a kayak trip that morning, and he had started thinking about buying a kayak.

A few minutes later, the "paranoid" brother said, "Okay, start browsing online with your phone" -- and the skeptic found he was being bombarded with ads for kayaks!

Never forget -- every electronic device you own is spying on you. Every phone call, every electronic money transaction, every web search, Alexa -- all of it is recorded and retrievable by someone who knows where to look and is motivated to do so. You're not paranoid if someone is out to get you.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

JNYORK,
It's not the Tinfoil hat society. We haven't worn tin in years. Everything is aluminium these days.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Not only is the eavesdropping intrusive it is unjust in the sense that the newer stuff cannot be turned-off or secured and costs "them" nothing to listen.

We have to spend much $$$ for wifi/data etc. for our own use but a new telly is always on and somehow connected all of the time even in remote areas where there is no signal. Seems nigh on impossible but it has been proven time and time again.

Got to go.....I hear that confounded drone hovering outside the kitchen window again !
m.A.g.a. !
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Anytime your smart phone is nearby you can't expect any privacy. A few days ago the wife and I were watching tv and something about a guy training to be a pilot was on. I casually mention to my wife that I'd love to get a pilot's license someday. That was it, no more discussion, just that one line. She didn't even reply, just gave me "the look" with an eye roll. Within 15-20 minutes there was an ad I'd never seen before on my social media for private pilot training.
NRA Life Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Funny how that works. I looked up a specific blade style knife made by Knives Of Alaska, Grohmann, and Cold Steel. Now I cannot get an ad for knives on my Giggly browser, nor on Firefox. I have turned in ads for Benchmade as offensive.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

I drove by Taco Time the other day and 10 min later my phone wanted me to rate my visit to Taco Time.
Roughcreek
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Rusty wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:57 pm JNYORK,
It's not the Tinfoil hat society. We haven't worn tin in years. Everything is aluminium these days.

Sorry, I live under a rock and apparantly didn't get the memo. I'll try harder to keep up. :roll: :lol:
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

They say that every electronic data transfer goes through this facility.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Data_Center

Rumor is that someone has snitched and they have assembled a task force to keep an eye on the gunroom
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

roughcreek wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:53 am I drove by Taco Time the other day and 10 min later my phone wanted me to rate my visit to Taco Time.
you are driving with location turned and probably the mapping software also.... what do you expect? turn off location and see what happens. I drive by that stuff all day long, and with location turned off, and Osmand with offline mapping, and gps turned on... I never get that kind of adver.
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

ya, guess I'll just use them as I need them.

Thanks
Roughcreek
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I've DEFINITELY on more than one occasion had ads pop up on my phone after I mentioned certain related words in a phone call ! and it is definitely creepy!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

the question I have is, have you read up on privacy policies and have you accidently given "them" permission to target advertising to you ??
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 pm the question I have is, have you read up on privacy policies and have you accidently given "them" permission to target advertising to you ??
I think, but do not know, that if you agree to cookies, that's the permission your are talking about.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think that's part of it... but my default is no cookies, and I allow ones that don't target me and delete all of them from the computer every time I close the browser... BTW, my home computer is my admin device, there is no wifi or bluetooth in it, only ethernet through a VPN and a firewalled router . . . not absolute, but finely protected and not enticing to hackers. yet . . . so far.

It's harder on the phone, so certain "apps" that I use, I shut off wifi so no one sees what I'm doing with that "app".
FOR EXAMPLE this is my desktop box rejecting ny times
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

Not only are all your devices listening, but Google has developed artificial intelligence that can predict what you will be interested in before you even know it. Scary times we are living in. Its funny that 99% of my online time is searching for gun stuff, but once in a while I will do something else online. Never will I ever get gun related ads, but as soon as I search motorcycle or kayak stuff I will get inundated with their ads.