What in Sam Hill

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

What in Sam Hill

Post by Pitchy »

Did you know where it came from. maybe. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwh3Q4MQnWc
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What in Sam Hill

Post by HawkCreek »

Is that song about the same Sam Hill that built the reliplica Stonehenge as a WWI memorial down in the Columbia Gorge on the Washington side?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

HawkCreek wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:54 pm Is that song about the same Sam Hill that built the reliplica Stonehenge as a WWI memorial down in the Columbia Gorge on the Washington side?
I have no idea, it`s just a saying i`ve heard people say all my life and when i heard Merl sing this song i got a chuckle. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Pitchy wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:02 pm
HawkCreek wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:54 pm Is that song about the same Sam Hill that built the reliplica Stonehenge as a WWI memorial down in the Columbia Gorge on the Washington side?
I have no idea, it`s just a saying i`ve heard people say all my life and when i heard Merl sing this song i got a chuckle. :)

I always heard the saying came.from him being a rich eccentric type but I never knew if that was true or just a convenient local myth.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since I grew up with my father working for the railroad, and the same railroad owned by Sam Hill, we heard a lot of local history about Sam Hill. The saying attributed to Sam Hill was well earned, as he was a visionary who was always up to something new and way ahead of the time he lived in.
So people asking, What is Sam Hill up to now?" was easily turned to "What in the Sam Hill" is someone up to? I know my parents used the phrase often, and we figured as kids it was to avoid cussing.

As an interesting sidenote. Sam Hill married James Hill's daughter. James Hill was a railroad tycoon who started the Great Northern Railroad, and Sam Hill (no relationship) was a young man who worked for James Hill. He was originally hired by James to be an attorney representing the GNRR in purchases and endeavors. But Sam did such a good job that James continued to promote him to the highest level within the company. Eventually Sam married James' daughter Mary. Unfortunately Mary suffered from mental issues, and their marriage wasn't a good one. Sam built Maryhill as their home, and everything surrounding the 7,000 acres Sam bought in the Columbia River Gorge as a way to entice Mary to come out West to live. But Mary never really gave it much of a try before returning home in the East.
Sam continued to live out West, and severed ties with Jame Hill and the railroad, but occasionally did represent GNRR in matters out West. Sam was instrumental in developing the highway systems in Oregon, and later a big advocate of highways in the NW in general.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Had a cousin named Sam Hill. His Mama died when he was just a baby so he came to live with us for a time so he seemed closer kin than most cousins. Became a car salesman and a good one too. He and both his brothers are gone now. Only their sister remains.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

yosemite sam.jpg
What in Sam Hill are ya talk'n bout'.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS