Shot the S&W .45 Colt today ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Shot the S&W .45 Colt today ...

Post by JimT »

I had not even held this gun since maybe 10 or 12 years ago.
It is a pleasant-shooting sixgun! Easy to hold. Great trigger. I can even see the sights pretty well with my old eyes.

I used 2 different loads:
250 gr. RCBS cast FN with 6 gr. of 700X and
260 gr. Keith SWC (454424) with 15.5 gr. 2400
Both mild loads in the mid-800 fps range.
What was interesting is that at 20 yards, both hit about the same point of impact.

Here's one of my better targets:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shot the S&W .45 Colt today ...

Post by Grizz »

perfect venison maker ! !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice gun great shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nicely done Jim!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Don't think I could see that square at 20 yards. Well done.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a nice easy to shoot load out of a nice gun. I do run some heavy loads out of my Ruger on occasion, but it is plenty accurate and a lot of fun using the .45 ACP cylinder and appropriate loads for any firearm made to shoot that round. A .45 230 or 250 grain lead semi wadcutter or LBT style bullet at a pressure and velocity safe in a first generation Colt has been accurate out of my Ruger. I don't have near the experience that you have Jim. I just have experience with my one Ruger with the two cylinders. Quite limited, but I can and do learn from others. Learning from others has saved me a lot of time and prevented a few mistakes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

That's just that lee marvin fellow showing off......

Like the poster above says, to me that size aiming point at 20 paces is just a smudge.....
m.A.g.a. !
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That's some shootin Jim!.....you sure that square ain't about 12"?.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have made it a practice over the years .... when shooting groups ... to have my Aiming Point appear a bit smaller than the front sight width. That way I can tell if I am holding center or not. A 1" square works quite well with Ruger and S&W sights for 20 to 25 yards. The biggest problem I have these days is not being able to see the sights clearly unless the light is about perfect. Yesterday was a great day for target work .. as far as the light.

I believe that gun is capable of putting all the shots in one ragged hole at that distance. There was a day when I was capable of it also .. at least at times. That day is long gone. :roll:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Of all the issues related to aging it is my vision that I miss the most.

By necessity I have learned to point shoot because some days there is just no way I'm going to be able to use the sights.

Wm
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

this is why I will put a green laser on my ar pistol. shoot from the hip and hit where the dot is.

I have one, with dead battery right now, for the lcp.... full daylight out doors has long house visibility... and the bullets land on the green dot
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

wm wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:27 am Of all the issues related to aging it is my vision that I miss the most.
By necessity I have learned to point shoot because some days there is just no way I'm going to be able to use the sights.
Wm
I was visiting Tedd Adamovich (BluMagnum Grips) and was walking around his property looking for some rabbits to shoot. He had been having problems with cottontails and jackrabbits eating his garden. I had my .22 Single Six and walked up on a rabbit, maybe 35 or 40 feet .. shot and missed ... shot and missed ... shot and missed. At the third shot the bunny decided he had enough and took off running. I did a snap shot ... point shooting .. and hit him in the back of the head. From then on through the next day I decided to quit trying to aim and just point shoot. I hit more than I missed ... which ain't a real good commentary on my shooting. I used to be able to aim a sixgun and put the bullet right where I wanted it. These days .. with many of them anyhow .. that thing on the end of the barrel is just a fuzzy blob. It was nice yesterday seeing the sights on the S&W. A real treat!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jim, one of the Model 25s, right? I had one for a while in .45ACP/Auto Rim. Most accurate Smith I ever owned. Traded it off, of course ... :cry:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:15 pm Jim, one of the Model 25s, right? I had one for a while in .45ACP/Auto Rim. Most accurate Smith I ever owned. Traded it off, of course ... :cry:
Yessir. 625-5
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

JimT
Can you post a picture of this revolver?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

crs wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:08 pm JimT
Can you post a picture of this revolver?

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have a 25-5 in 45 colt and a 24-3 44 special. They shoot very similar.
https://i.postimg.cc/HsXtMnjB/top-S-W-2 ... W-24-3.jpg
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned a 25-2 since around 1980 when I bought it. Mine is the 8 3/8" barrel and is likely the most accurate revolver I own! I haven't fired it in quite some time, but not because I don't love it. Just too many other tings getting in the way. But now with your reminder I'll have to take it along on my next trip to the range!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/