River of Doubt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

River of Doubt

Post by AJMD429 »

...by Candice Millard...https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-river ... m/8120102/ is a GOOD read.

I can't help but compare Theodore Roosevelt's post-presidency activities to those of B.H.M.O.....do you think the latter would have gone to South America to explore a river nobody had even mapped....?

....and even though he probably induced more people to buy AR-15's than Teddy induced to buy Winchester 1895's, I doubt B.H.M.O. will inspire a generation of conservationists, hunters, and naturalists.... :|

Anyway, it is a good read....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: River of Doubt

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I bought that book 2 years ago for a $1. Have read 3 times. Those guys were tough! They could probably chew nails and spit tacks.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Read it, and would do so again. TR was all man and then some.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

There was a PBS special last week about this I think it was two hours long. T.R. and the crew sure got all the adventure they could ask for and were lucky to come out alive. when T.R. died His sister said She thought the trip took ten years off of His life. even the show was very dark and gloomy. :shock: .
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

I read it several years ago. He was tough! If you are interested in him, Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough is a very good account of his early life.

FP
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Fisher-Price wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:16 pmI read it several years ago. He was tough!
If you are interested in him, Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough is a very good account of his early life.
I think that book is somewhere in my pile of books-to-read....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "