Words

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Words

Post by 6pt-sika »

I get so darn tired of some words ! Seems like “iconic” and “epic” are way over used . Especially by TV folks and even on gun auction sights . I blame the clowns in “American Pickers” for iconic , seems like every thing they touch they use that word as an adjective. The younger folks kinda irk me using “like” all the time . And here recently the word “run” used in the context of “shooting a gun” , now to me if you run something typically it has a motor and key ignition . Which brings me to the word “harvest” on the TV hunting shows , I DO NOT harvest deer , dove , geese or pheasants I KILL them . I do however harvest corn wheat vegetables .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Words

Post by mark »

I't "immortal", if you count footballers.

What do they expect?, consult the Websters[/i}, the "Oxford" and the "Macquarie".

Words fail me.

You have not been alone.

Mark
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I suppose the one that has irked me the most over the years is "ton(s)" to denote "alot" .......

"Wheelguns" when revolver is meant really seems to bother many.....

Another one that appeared out of nowhere and took root is the verb "regifted"....
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Like and you know irritates me to no end. Another phrase that bothers me is going forward.
Oh and of course umm .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The one that gets me all the time is when people write of say Calvary instead of cavalry. There's ton more, Umberti, Where is there an M in Uberti?? It's Jaguar, not "Jagwire"! While we're at it, let's figure out their, they're and there!

As far as firearms go, I agree with "wheel gun" being irritating. Along with referring to a barrel as a tube, and this idea of referring to different types of firearms as "platforms" is as annoying as it gets!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:48 am The one that gets me all the time is when people write of say Calvary instead of cavalry. There's ton more, Umberti, Where is there an M in Uberti?? It's Jaguar, not "Jagwire"! While we're at it, let's figure out their, they're and there!

As far as firearms go, I agree with "wheel gun" being irritating. Along with referring to a barrel as a tube, and this idea of referring to different types of firearms as "platforms" is as annoying as it gets!

jb 8)
see there.....you're just trying to annoy me !
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:D :D

Wondered if you would catch that. :lol:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For me it's when someone offers their opinion in a FTF conversation, starting with the word "obviously".... (IMO it seems like they're calling you stupid)

Also, when someone uses "Winny" ILO "Winchester".

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

One that I see a lot is "alot". Its not a word.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I see this a lot on U-Tube; conversation ------ then a pause as if they loose their train of thought, then: "and yeah", then they continue talking. It's almost as bad as " you know".

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Young people who say "awesome", "perfect" "like" etc. every other word. "No problem" instead of "You're welcome". "Know what I'm talking about?"

When did bullets become "pills" ? :roll:

Winnie, Annie, Shottie, Remmie. Platforms. Give me a break.

Speak English.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Things like LOL, FTF, etc. i understand when you were texting . But when speaking it’s absurd.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

How about what 99% of gun writers write...."inherent accuracy".

Personally, I can think of a whole lot more things in life to be annoyed about than the twisting of simple words....we can start with the butchering of the Kings English with Ebonics and how the libs want to teach it in schools.---6
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:24 pm How about what 99% of gun writers write...."inherent accuracy".

Personally, I can think of a whole lot more things in life to be annoyed about than the twisting of simple words....we can start with the butchering of the Kings English with Ebonics and how the libs want to teach it in schools.---6
I left the Ebonics thing alone as I assumed I’d be called racial . But the big word in that group to me is “conversate” that isn’t a word for sure !
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I don't consider the condensation of Ebonics as a hateful racial thing as I know black guys that if you were talking to them on the phone, you'd never know they were black......I think it's a choice and a sign of laziness , no different than the way some hillbillies talk.

I just avoid individuals that annoy me with their mannerisms. They don't pay my bills and are not my keepers. :D

The older you get, the less people you deal with.....down to the point where it's easy to become a recluse.---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

What a bunch of old fuddie duddies(sp?)! I know my parents did, and I'd bet your parents also complained about the way you talked growing up. Especially during our teen years... embrace the change! Feel young again! Besides, it's all TV's fault... Do like I do... when it gets really tough to understand... lapse into Spanish or German.. give 'em a real treat, Sottish Gaelic. I ain't got a clue how it's really spoken, so I just make it up!

Want a challenge? Read some of Robert Burns' poetry... after that, Tennyson & Keats is easy!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What be the haps?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Irregardless is a mosh pit of a word which bothers me. Double negatives are annoying.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:53 pm What a bunch of old fuddie duddies(sp?)! I know my parents did, and I'd bet your parents also complained about the way you talked growing up. Especially during our teen years... embrace the change! Feel young again! Besides, it's all TV's fault... Do like I do... when it gets really tough to understand... lapse into Spanish or German.. give 'em a real treat, Sottish Gaelic. I ain't got a clue how it's really spoken, so I just make it up!

Want a challenge? Read some of Robert Burns' poetry... after that, Tennyson & Keats is easy!
:lol:
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One English Teacher in High School could speak Irish Gaelic. She read Burn's poetry in Gaelic with an Irish accent. Knowing that she was from Krakow made it all the more interesting.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:10 pmOne English Teacher in High School could speak Irish Gaelic. She read Burn's poetry in Gaelic with an Irish accent. Knowing that she was from Krakow made it all the more interesting.
:lol: I have an 1877 edition of the Complete Works of Robert Burns, I've read it about 3 times... with a Scottish dictionary at my side!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

My favorite time is in the morning drive/commute, when I listen to WIBC's Tony Katz, and when they go to commercial breaks, I hit the 'NPR' station..... the GAME is to see how far they can go to twist ANY news item to disrespect Trump.... their imagination and creativity is AWESOME...!

Anyway, it is humorous to listen to the 'superior intellects' totally DESTROY the English Language and use terrible grammar, and tons of "like" in their verbiage.

The most awesome thing is when they say to tune in, so they can "...help me understand the newsworthy events of the day..." Yeah, right. My IQ is over 150, and the average news-babe from NPR is likely 100 at best. I read and digest and analyze many different news sources, and the NPR news babe's cultural and intellectual horizon is limited by whatever is discussed at Starbucks over her morning latte.

I'm really glad the are so willing to "help me understand the days news events".... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Surprising from this gaggle of guys..... denigrating individualism! :lol:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

When it comes to gun stuff I have an intense dislike when people write "boolit". I ain't the best when it comes to spelling but deliberately distorting some as sacred as "bullet" is just wrong. I also dislike "wheelgun" ... "bottom feeder" ... "bang stick" and ....
oh nevermind ...
it just gets depressing.
it's one reason I quit most of the internet.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lingo is constantly changing and people want to be cool. "Back in the day" it was the same "daddyeo"
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 am Lingo is constantly changing and people want to be cool. "Back in the day" it was the same "daddyeo"
That's one I really cant stand- back in the day...before the wheel? Sliced bread? The internet?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Griff wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:53 pm What a bunch of old fuddie duddies(sp?)! I know my parents did, and I'd bet your parents also complained about the way you talked growing up. Especially during our teen years... embrace the change! Feel young again! Besides, it's all TV's fault... Do like I do... when it gets really tough to understand... lapse into Spanish or German.. give 'em a real treat, Sottish Gaelic. I ain't got a clue how it's really spoken, so I just make it up!

This may be helpful

https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearni ... ge_gaelic/

It was on youtube but they made it age restricted. I dont have any youtube account, so found it elsewhere. She has a few funny videos on youtube. Irish GPS was good.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ0aINUzMSU

https://www.hymnal.net/en/hymn/ns/345

I love words, which is to say that I love language.

Language is God's gift to us so that He can communicate with us, and we with Him.

Listening to the Irish rendition of a 1200 hundred year old worship song is . . . . . sweet
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So, the idea is old words are good, new words are bad.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Perhaps it is that some new words are unacceptable when they are not intended to advance the language, but merely to give a secret password to a group. Copascetic is a word that was made up in the late 80s, and has come into common use. It cuts down from 3 to 7 words into 1 for describing a situation. It has a purpose. I remember hearing it from the kids from detonation-troit back then. The motor city seems to be where it started.
Wheel gun feels as if it is a put down for a revolver. It does not advance the language.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think, besides the tower of Babel, some languages are an effort to deliberately make one's people group secure from the outsiders. The two different Chinese languages come to mind. Or French. A type of encryption perhaps. Which coincides with the information that, in every case I've seen, the word for a tribe or clan is something like "the people". And the word for everyone else is "the barbarians"... this seems to be universal. And an indication of which one someone is, is coded in the language...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually copacetic has been used since at least 1919 as per the Oxford English Dictionary.

Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Some firearms related terms that irritate me.....'shottie' or 'scatter-gun' means shotgun I guess....referring to a Winchester as a 'winnie' or referring to a Remington as a 'remy'...then you have 'wheel-gun' to me that would imply something with tires on it such as artillery rather than a revolver

I try not to get my shorts twisted too much over such terminology
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

+1 on "shottie" :twisted:

One that sticks in my craw....."prolly"....instead of probably. Oh, and referring to a rifle as a "stick". :twisted: :twisted:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:07 am
Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:10 am Lingo is constantly changing and people want to be cool. "Back in the day" it was the same "daddyeo"
That's one I really cant stand- back in the day...before the wheel? Sliced bread? The internet?
Hey, most of us here are B(efore) I(nternet). And I was born AD not CE.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here in Oldfogeyville we don't want anything to change goldurnit.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 pm Here in Oldfogeyville we don't want anything to change goldurnit.
You spelled it wong. :lol:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

Any seller describing a firearm as "minty" raises my blood press.

BB
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

how about the baseball 'person' referring to an RBI as a ribby ?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I don't think so.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

In the immortal words of Foghorn Leghorn “It’s a joke son.”
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Copacetic was misspelled earlier unless you were talking about other words there Foghorn.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 pm Copacetic was misspelled earlier unless you were talking about other words there Foghorn.
So I put the two common spellings into one word, as copasetic is the earliest known spelling and copacetic has become the slightly more common spelling, it is just immaterial. We knew which Chicago and Southern slang word was referred to. It is a completely American word which the American dictionaries spelled with the "s" until the Oxford dictionary pushed the "c" into the more common usage. It was still considered regional and colloquial slang until some time in the 80s or 90s when it became common.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

What really upset me was when they quit using "daisy" and in "You're a daisy if you do."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So you can spell it with an s or a c but you decided to use both?

That certainly seems to be a mispreapprehension of spelling where you must be pacific.

I have heard it used in the Northeast since at least the 60s.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Huckleberry, daisy, whats the diff?
https://i.postimg.cc/KjM1Xhyb/Oct-2012-016.jpg
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Booger Bill wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:42 am Huckleberry, daisy, whats the diff?
https://i.postimg.cc/KjM1Xhyb/Oct-2012-016.jpg
Well .. the problem is ... they quit using "huckleberry" also!
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

"I'll be your Huckleberry."

BB
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have been around guns all my life and have yet to see or handle one that had a “ PLATFORM”. Another “ ain't I cool “word used today.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:24 pm....we can start with the butchering of the Kings English with Ebonics...
Candace Owens really rips into the blacks who feel somehow that they don't have to bother to learn the English language...and they can't fight back, because she be black too... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "