It's raining old rifle scopes!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

It's raining old rifle scopes!

Post by marlinman93 »

Picked up the old Wm. Malcolm at our August two day collector gun show, which I was tickled to find! Then the other day a friend saw it and said, Hey, I think I've got one of those, if you want it!"
So today I picked up a second Wm Malcolm 1800's rifle telescope! This one a bit shorter at 16" vs. the other at 19", but it's complete with mounts and very nice optics too. Amazing the quality Malcolm did in the 1800's.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Jay Bird

Re: It's raining old rifle scopes!

Post by Jay Bird »

Yep...you sure don't run into those all the time........I see you have the dovetail mounts......curious as to mounting.......if you wanted to use it would you have to have an additional dovetail milled/filed into the barrel....or you just collecting?

I have a 36" Stevens on a special order 28" low wall in .22 L.R that mounts on the standard dovetails.......I shoot this rifle all the time.---6

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun Jr wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 pm Yep...you sure don't run into those all the time........I see you have the dovetail mounts......curious as to mounting.......if you wanted to use it would you have to have an additional dovetail milled/filed into the barrel....or you just collecting?

I have a 36" Stevens on a special order 28" low wall in .22 L.R that mounts on the standard dovetails.......I shoot this rifle all the time.---6

I have one of those full length Stevens scopes on my Ballard #3 that fits in the factory dovetails also. This Malcolm has holes to mount the rear dovetail instead of using the dovetail, but not sure I'd ever drill holes in a fine old gun either?
I do own a Schoyen Ballard that at some time in it's life had a dovetailed scope on the barrel, and it could go on that gun. But when I restored it I made fillers for the extra dovetails, so I'd just have to knock the perfectly fitted fillers out to use it on that gun. Likely I'll just keep this scope and admire it for my collection. The previous Wm. Malcolm I got is made to go on a Stevens Pet or Wesson pocket rifle, as the front mount encircles the barrel. I have neither gun, but will be watching for one just to put that scope on.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Very nice find
It is not the critic who counts
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea....ya never get tired with the old guns as it would be impossible to experience them all. I think my Stevens is a 5x...don't see it marked.

Been playing with this modern AR stuff and other WW2 stuff for the last couple of years........gotta dust off an old Winchester and have some fun.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I rarely shoot my Ballard #3 with the full length Stevens scope as it's in .25 Stevens. I have about 8 boxes of Cannuck .25 Stevens ammo, and it shoots lights out. But once that ammo is shot up it's done, and I wont buy more at the expensive prices I see it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I rarely shoot my Ballard #3 with the full length Stevens scope as it's in .25 Stevens. I have about 8 boxes of Cannuck .25 Stevens ammo, and it shoots lights out. But once that ammo is shot up it's done, and I wont buy more at the expensive prices I see it.