The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Sixgun »

Fred...that's an incredible group! Is it from a '99?
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man ...I LOVE IT...another HONEST WIN....for real, no BS...

Just like President Trump...I win and "they" lose.

Off the subject you boys know the movie "The Revenant"? As I remember everyone said it was about a guy who walked and crawled 200 miles to get his rifle back.....wasn't that way at all....watched it again last night but this time I had the closed captions on so I was better able to understand it......

Those were tough guys and I'm sure it was that way.......people have it all so squeaky easy today.....

Well...gotta run and get da woooooodd.---006
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, a 1954 EG. I also have the same model and vintage in a .250 that will shoot as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

hey six can I borrow some cash?!

Who was the lead actor in that movie? I do believe he is another Hollywood hypocrite making money from gun movies!!

Well the ZZ s died a honest death today! I was tied 3 ways for the win. Split the money but shoot off for the trophy. I didn't win the cup, which doesn't bother me any.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:13 pm hey six can I borrow some cash?!

Who was the lead actor in that movie? I do believe he is another Hollywood hypocrite making money from gun movies!!

Well the ZZ s died a honest death today! I was tied 3 ways for the win. Split the money but shoot off for the trophy. I didn't win the cup, which doesn't bother me any.
Gunny...you want to borrow cash? Go ask your veterinarian. :D I went most of my life without a lot of extra cash...never was broke in my life....always had money, but not a lot of it for "free spending" like some people have. I'm situated very well today but those are my standards and my lifestyle......to someone like Old Savage and his lifestyle I'd be considered between homeless and low income.

I consider "free spending" as having the money in my pocket to buy a $300 tool and think nothing of it.....to some people, that's what they spend on dinner on a Friday night...every Friday night.

When you don't have the luxury of free spending in the $5,000 range but you have it, you sure as hell don't want to see it go away. My Jeep is now 16 years old.

Fred..........I'm coming to confiscate both of those rifles as they were made when I was.....I can now remember, someone brought them in to the nursery when I was born as a gift and someone stole them...please return.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya Six, if I don't have the cash on hand or know that I can pay the CC bill in full that month I don't make the deal! I've never given a dime in CC interest!

Those are some spectacular groups from a levergun! I'd kinda like a 99 in 300, just something about that cartridge I like.

Yeah, that's why I asked to borrow cash- Winnie has to go for her annual checkup!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, the Model 124 !!!

I know you are not a knife guy so find one of these as a winner can and send it to me, not leather stacked.

Yes, come pick up those 99s ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred..that picture was taken off the Internet.....show me a real one.....

How many more ya wanna see? :D

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ok, got any long knives ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

How about these !!! ???

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK....they will work...........who's the guy running the gauntlet?

Those knives are biggies..ya better grease those babies up and get em ready for the fourth of November. :D
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, ... that would be me many years ago.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've got a Kbar, it's never been blooded! Too big for deer and I forgot to take it on my elk hunts! Long knives- yup a pair of Union NCO dress swords hang over the mantle. Got some I've made too, fillet knifes, pig stickers, patch knives, chef knives.

Heartburn all night, didn't sleep well!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have chronic heartburn. No fun. Way back in the 30s and 40s one Grandfather used to carry chalk with him to chew on for heartburn.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Long knives have uses in some things, but more than about 4 inches of blade for more than fileting a fish or kitchen work gets a bit hard to use.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The temperature is down into the upper 50s this morning. That is really cold for this time of year in the Dallas area.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chicken splitter

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Temps here, mid 50s to high 90s.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A few in various lengths.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred...YOU are a man of accomplishment! I never knew you were a military man. You've lived all over the US and decided to settle in "soft stuff" land. I'm pretty much a nobody never living more than 5 miles from the house I was born in. I was always afraid all of the good guns in this area would be vultured up by other people.

Is heartburn when acid from your stomach comes up in your throat? If so I've had it a few times when I was drinking.

Is that what you use for cutting up chickens? Around here we just have an old log and a hatchet. I bolted an old oak log that's been dead for 20 years I found out back to the kitchen floor. Trying to catch up to Jay's modern living style.

Seems like a nice day...just got up and let the dogs out........70 and a bit breezy.......

Long knives.......mmmmmm.......Hitler even had a "special night" named after those items.----006
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

What's Arizona's state vegetable?
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, that was at Bordentown Military Institute, six years in the Army and National Guard later.

Some bone handled folders.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred....the type of handle on your knives makes the absolute bestest looking handle....you say bone....I say stag or an imitation of stag.....

While it don't have it anymore my favorite knife was a handmade folder. This guy at work had an uncle who would take weeks to make one knife.....you know, retired with plenty of loot.....the knives he made were always non folders.....he told me his uncle spent many weeks making this one folder with bone handles.....a single heavy blade about 4" in diameter.....I bugged this guy for some time to sell it to me and one day he agreed as he needed to feed his nose.

$100 and I couldn't pull out the money fast enough...after I got it my son wanted it...see? Everybody wants other people's S. Some years later out in elk camp in Colorado it was dark, two feet of snow on the ground, wind was blowing, about 0 degrees and quartering an elk with this handmade knife and a hatchet....by flashlight.....after I was done I folded the knife up, all bloody and handed it to my boy....hope he still has it....---6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

How did I miss you serving in the military? Thank you Fred for your service.....

What's Arizona's state vegetable?
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred....WHEN you feel like it, let's see a picture of that 99 in 250-3000. I've never owned one.

Jay tells me he is headed out your way as soon as the weather gets colder so he can wear his buffalo coat.
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Why do people always have to pretend they are high class......just sit back and enjoy life for a change.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sE7ZEivJQ8A
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

US Army, Fort Polk, Summer of 71, 81 mm mortars. NJ National Guard 71-72, Iowa National Guard 73-76. Summer camps in NY, WI, MN. Drove WWIi Jeeps, 3/4 Ton, 2 1/2 and ... armored personell carriers. Qualified Expert with the M16, M14, 1911, 81 mm mortar and hand grenades. Sgt E5 ret. now. All was interesting didn't seem like fun at the time but memorable people, places and activities looking back.

Thumb nail sketch of that period.

We all have different experiences we didn't plan. ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well the .250. Looked for one for years. Only saw one kind of beat up carbine for $600. Then along came this totally primo EG. It had been sitting in a closet all this time with a partial box of ammo that was all that went through it, kismet. I traded a Kimber .308 I won for $20 at an NRA dinner. Never could get that to fit my face even with high scope mounts.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty cool Fred...you have been out and about....one time I drove to the store and bought some Skoal.

Carbine in 250? May have been worth twice what you bought. Early carbines bring big loot.....what would you rather have ...a 1953 Corvette that needs a paint job or a 2010 that's been in the garage?

Ya know......I got to get dressed and do something......

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oooooooo. Comin' into Los Angleeeeeezzz, bringing in a couple of keys, please Mr. customs man, don't you check my bags.
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Think you got me ;-) never bought Skoal

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well. Was up to the lot till dark last night working on my last stand setup. It's WAY down in there. Decided to rip off from work last night. Loaded up 50rnds of 30-30 before bed.
Got up this morning, ran up and finished the stand. Then hit the range and zeroed a couple more rifles.
I'm fairly well squared away now.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I still have to shoot my slug gun, no rifles allowed here for hunting deer& bears. Got a couple people looking for venison so I guess I have to shoot a few this year.

Tore out another side of the barn today. 5 trees as floor joists & 5 4x6s on the other half. Since this section doesn't line up with anything else we decided to just rip it all out so we could make it the same.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny....what kind of wood were the main joists? My inlaws barn was built in 1912....the previous one was built in 1804 and burnt down......anyway, the barn that I knew used mostly beech for the main joists at the bottom...bark was still on them and hand hewned where they tied in.....this beech was on the low level where the top of this lower level was even with the ground....most of the other upper joists were oak and put together with pegs....I still have some of these pegs......

Jay...what do you mean you "ripped" from work......hooky?...man! You must be loaded like Old Savage! Wish I still had the enthusiasm to get out in the woods and hunt......probably if one of you guys were around I would...my best two pals moved away on me and I can't stand who's left.

TELL ME......WHO wrote these words???....."Coming into Los Angeleeeeeezzz, bringing in a couple of keys....Don't touch my bags if you please Mr. customs man."

I remember those days..so does Fred.....they say you live your youth over again when you get old...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KYE4-_Yzj60
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I put my mechanical engineering and master carpentry skills to use today.....yep....I figured out how to make it 15 degrees on the table saw...I'm smart!!

Yea...hillbilly....I bring the wood into the house with a wheelbarrow...the fancy one with the pistol grip handles!!!! I'm uppity like JAY!!!!

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Saw this on the news......JAY.....YOUR FAMOUS!!!

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A little history lesson,
When the white man landed at Plymouth Rock the primary tree from the Atlantic to the mighty Mississippi was chestnut. Now we call it the American Chestnut. Chestnut is strong, rot and bug resistant. Most of the really old farm houses and barns were chestnut. The oaks, hickory, maple and other trees were understory trees that only took over after we cut & used up the chestnuts. Then of course the blight that hit and killed the majority of the remaining trees. A friend of mine has a barn that dates to the 1740s- little to no rot!
This barn is new, oak is what has been used here, you can tell because oak is about twice as dense as chestnut and these suckers are heavy!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok 38 Gunny...I've read that about chestnut.....I believe the wood that was used on the siding of my inlaws was chestnut.....it still looked pretty good and I never remember any paint on it o any kind. In the late eighties when my inlaws sold their dairy cows they pretty much stopped on maintenance and the roof started to go.....you know what happens when a roof goes...is chestnut still available or has it gained the redwood status?

What do you have when you have a nut on your chest?......a chestnut!

What do you have when you have a nut on the wall?......a walnut!

What do you have when you have a nut that looks like a pea?....a peanut!
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You are imitating a young intern in the Oval Office.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK....let's move on......

Piller......can you answer my question on "coming into Los angeleeezzzeee and bring in a couple of keys"?

Check this baby out....trying to sneak in the house as it's a bit nippy here....---6

Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No. I don"t know the reference.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Golf with this odd throuple today.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That was Arlo Guthrie. Disclaimer....I was pretty sure, but I looked it up. :D

Hey! My name in lights.

Oh, and "ripped" means to take a vacation day or otherwise not go to work.
Truth to tell, I'm ready to "rip off" the rest of my life. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jay...how'd you like your name in lights......saw it the other night and had to save it....

Arlo Guthrie was the son of Woodie Guthrie...extreme liberals......remember the grandfather on The Walton's?...well, back in the day Will Geer (the grandfather) and Woodie Guthrie were lovers and both were staunch supporters of the American Communist Party.

Will Geer was black listed in the movie industry during the 50's as he refused to name people who were in the communist party during a congressional hearing. Yea...things were different back then but it seems the communists won over in Hollywood.

Of course, growing up in the Woodstock era left me with many memories and as a kid, you don't know Communism from capitalism so you go with the flow believing what you are told.

Check out that short video I posted from Woodstock and Arlo singing.....posted another one earlier with people in a Wal Mart up your way....

Six & Out....
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred....that guy must be about 7' 2"....hate like hell to feed him and get him drunk...a weeks pay....
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! I never knew rhat about Will Geer.
Yeah. The commies won everywhere buddy.

It sucks that a lot of really good musicians are such pinko commies. Always leaves me in a quandry. I just try really hard not to buy their music.

Haha yeah. Wal-Mart's up here are like going to a circus freak show. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Six, glad that some one else is making their own stuff!

Finished my patio firewood rack. Salvaged all the materials from a pipe fence I took out, except for the caps on the pipe which I cut out of a piece of 1/8" steel purchased for repairs to the Rose!!! Win!!

The rack:
2-½" sched 40 steel pipe!

Working on it: cutting the caps for the pipe ends:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Says he is 6'11", nice fellow, very affable.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

There is no new lumber available in chestnut but you can buy reclaimed beams. Most people do not know the difference between oak and chestnut or that chestnut even exists.

I'd sure like to rip off a couple days! This floor work is brutal on the back & knees!

Didn't know that about ol Zebulon! I'll have to rethink the Waltons...

Oh boy another hurricane headed for the gulf coast!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not OSHA approved:

But, gotta get the rope tied up there somehow!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!