The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Sixgun »

Well, ain't won one in a while so screw you all. I've been counting and decided to take 114.

Thinking of a prize for myself.......I'm thinking "A BLAST FROM THE PAST" ----006......114
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I knew we was getting close.
Hey! I award you my barbed wire basketball! :D

That IS true though. We didn't do much couch sittin buddy. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

As a good Christian I was always told to give...give...give...until it hurts. I decided that I stole page 114 so I have to give away my winnings so the Good Lord will continue to bless me in the many ways as He has.

This is my prize and is also A BLAST FROM THE PAST and is the central ingredient from THIS IS YOUR LIFE....JAY!!!!

Last week I drove up to Maine and collected that barb wire you left in da woods and my man.....ITS YOURS!

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ya know...what kind of a guy takes a walk out past the barn at 12:15 while it's raining to take a picture......must be a guy with not much of a life.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahaha!
You know, as soon as I saw that picture, I thought " did that crazy goof run outside just to take that picture?"
Yup! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm not saying I got the crankshaft straight to .001 runout but yes I did get it back to straight enough to get MOST of the vibration out of it so you could hang on and mow. One of the first things we were taught was 'it doesn't hurt to try' yes I bent the shaft, I needed the mower so I tried and it worked!

Found barrels for the new Perazzi, $1800- these are used but they serilize to the same time frame as the receiver. I spoke with my Perazzi guy , a new tube from Perazzi is $1200, then the removal/ install/ soldering and regulation is $12-1500!

Barbed wire! My bud from CO did the same thing with his land cruiser. Except he had beer involved when he did it. The rear drive shaft was tied up so tight the u joint broke! Good thing cuz that's the only way to remove that mile of wire!

I finally figured it out, 0345 Winnie came to bed- she was hanging out here in the gun room, when Six went to bed she came up to wake me up...

Ok coffee is done!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Gunny....yea...I pulled a 3 o'clock er .....next thing ya know, it's 8 am and my daughter dropped off two dogs because she had to go into the office.....yea, I know, it don't make sense to me either......it woke me up and my here I am...too early for me....

Wow! Those professional trap guns sure are not cheap to play with.....did ya ever think that you really don't need something like that....the reason I say that is because of the way I use a 16" .223 for our long range shooting and IF I could hold as still as these younger guys I'd be in da money......the rifle is light where theirs are 12-16 lbs.

I have a pre war LeFever downstairs that I never missed with...well, you know, I missed once in a while.....nothing else ever fit me so well and patterned where I aimed....

I see Old Savage stopped in.....those stars remind me of Colorado at our 10,000 base camp....ya sure don't see that here in the east....-----006
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Being on an old farm... I've run over all sorts of stuff associated therewith in the years I've been here. The first time I mowed this place I set the mower height at around 5"... nothing, smooth as glass and since all the pastures and yard were bermuda grass, it looked like one big lawn... with horses wandering around most of it! After a few years and I started driving a truck, it didn't get mowed as often, or even regularly! Go figure, I'd sometimes go 3 months straight on the road. Over the years I forgot about some of the "implements" sitting along one of the fences... I have managed to miss the grain drill tho'... it's a little taller than the tractors (even the new one), although, I did bump into one of it's tires as the grass was taller than that part of it! As the years have passed, equipment gets a little more ragged, I've caught a few strands of the bottom slick wire with the mower, even a "t-post" or two! Have you ever tried to straighten out a pretzel? Luckily, neither have I, but I did have to unwrap a t-post from around the shaft of my brush hog! That pretty much involved removing the brush hog, and using a fair bit of leverage to get it unwrapped! Fence wire, even barbed wire is easy. Downed tree limbs, as long as they're of a certain size, just become more compost! It's the bigger ones that lie in wait, perfectly aligned with the tires so there's no tell-tale "bounce" as you roll across them that are the really mean ones! Sometimes you just strip of a layer of bark or two... other times the cutter blade whacks into the wood with all the force and mass of an axe! Which is ok, if it goes right on thru... but not so good when it gets stuck! Which is I'm pretty sure how my PTO engagement shaft got bent! The old Ford (1969), requires a constant foot on the POT lever to keep it in gear! On the plus side, that's actually a pretty comfortable sitting position!

Which brings me to why this portion of our discussion came up! The first time I mowed with the new tractor and mower, I set the height at about 4" cutting height. But... since it'd not been mowed in several weeks, the grass was about 12" high! No problem for a 75HP tractor... 'cause if I'd been growing hay I'd have let the grass get at least 4-6" taller before cutting! Anyway, if you know what a harrow rake is... it's a flexible set of rods with holders (on mine) for railroad spikes. Dragging the spikes thru the ground will break it up and allow nutrients into it when fertilizing, or use on a track or arena to break up clods or clumped up dirt. It'll also drag rocks back to the surface on a gravel road. Which is what I've used it mostly for... tho' I have drug it around after plowing, discing and fertilizing. I'm sure the real farmers out there will be shaking their heads at my methods!

Yep, I found it! Luckily, I only bent it running over it with the tractor, in ways it wasn't meant to bend! Only a couple of nicks with the blades. I don't know if it's salvageable or not.. more inspection is required. My son picked it up and moved someplace else... hopefully he remembers so I can avoid it in the future!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Six I now have 3 Perazzi, a newer MX8, a 1971 vintage MX8 and now this MX8/Comp 1. The newer one is my everyday shooter. The '71 is my back up gun. This Comp1 was too cheap to pass up at 900 bucks. Heck the drop out trigger is worth 500, forend iron another 300, receiver probably 500. If i decide to sell this one ill certainly get my money back.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Griff, sounds like you're trying to mow a junkyard. :D
You need to mount a metal detector on the front of the tractor like the old minesweeping tanks.
No charge for that idea. :D

Boy Gunny. I think one of those Perazzi's is worth more than all my shotguns put together. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Jay...ya really can't expect old H&R single shot shotguns to be worth much...I'm guessing you must have about 400 of them to match one Perazzi. :D

Another thing about getting old...Jays right....forgot how much stuff I've destroyed with a mower......my BIL has this like 8' bushhog on the big John Deere.......this thing is huge.....last summer he was mowing the inlaws pasture and he hit a boulder about the size of a small car.....for real.....the blades kept hitting it...boom!..boom...bent the hell out of the blades and if you know anything about bushhog blades they are about a half inch thick.

Ahhh...B.B. ing.....never gets old.....just like a fanny burp..always funny as long as it's not in your face at close range without underwear. One time upstate in deer season my bud said an explosion woke him up and he opened his eyes and all he saw was this giant chocolate starfish that was flapping around like a balloon in the wind.

Well....you all heard about the redwood Jazman sent me........I'm really excited about this as the way I get it, once it takes hold, it'll grow faster than an inner city riot.......I'm going to read up on this amap to get this baby in high gear. I'm a bit concerned about the winter coming and don't want to subject the frail roots to extreme freeze. I'm depending on my pals here in the Gun Room to come up with a common sense solution. I don't mind taking it in and out everyday five times a day if I have to in order for this tree to survive. ......as they say, it's my baby.

Check out this close up of the oregano Jazman sent....you ought to SMELL it......even my experienced wife never smelled anything so concentrated and unique.....funny thing how some things bring up old memories....the year..1968 or 9...there was this one guy in school who was always an easy mark if you were short on cash for lunch, whatever. Good ole Jimmy Gicker.......he'd give ya $10 for a joint.....one time we needed cash for beer so we rolled up a big fat joint made from oregano and sold it to Jimmy......he fired it up right away and passed it around.....we pretended to smoke it.....jimmy said it was the best weed he ever had....poor guy died by the time he was 30...drug related..overdose of oregano.....----006

Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:58 pmHey Griff, sounds like you're trying to mow a junkyard. :D
You need to mount a metal detector on the front of the tractor like the old minesweeping tanks.
Gee thanks Jay! Never looked at it as being that upscale! Never made a dime farming... (profit that is), those junk guys are all rich!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You got a redwood seedling ? Put it in a fairly large flower pot for now, leave it outside until it starts getting cold then put it in the basement or dark room for the winter months. Should be good to plant AFTER say May 1st. What ever you do don't keep it by the woodstove!!

Mine sweeper- wish they made them for dawggie land mines ! :lol:

Well i ordered that set of barrels, most expensive thing I've ever put on a credit card! I like greenbacks for large transactions.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Griff wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:59 pm
OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:58 pmHey Griff, sounds like you're trying to mow a junkyard. :D
Gee thanks Jay! Never looked at it as being that upscale! Never made a dime farming... (profit that is), those junk guys are all rich!
Haha just hackin' on ya Griff! :D
We used to to have a few "retired junk yard owners" up here from NJ. Always seemed to have plenty of money. Liked their privacy too. I'm sure it was all on the up and up. :D
It's funny when people come here thinking they are going to "hide". They stand out like a sore thumb and everyone knows. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah those guys usually have bent noses , named Tony and have contacts in the aifam. Junk yards are a thing of the past here now, epa has killed them.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny.....thank you........are you saying put it in the basement after the freeze starts? Do I water it or does it go dormant? No sunlight at all?

I'm not knowledgeable about saplings and what to do wth them...I am pretty good at planting weed though.

What's this talk about junkyards? That's my gig.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Some sun is ok, I'm going from memory here, cool & dry is probably good. Like I said no wood stove! Cool & dry will let it go dormant for the winter, go easy on the water. BUT again I'm not a horticulturist nor do I play one on tv. I think some research with a local extension center, grower or even online should tell you all you need to know .

Well out the door , come back in to feed the girls and they won't go near their bowls?
Imagine if you Willa young child comes up to his mother, his hands cupped in front and says Mommy look what I almost stepped in! Well that explains why they wouldn't go near their bowls! Oh and guess who stepped in it!? Glad I had socks on!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Got 3 puppies who are into chewing plastic. Any plastic. Give them each a golfball and by the time the third one gets one, the first is almost halfway into a pile of plastic shavings. It is cheaper than buying everything else that has plastic in it all over again. I keep putting the 3 destructive little puppies outside, PillHer wants them inside. They need to get out to run and run and run and run and run. It bothers PillHer to see a 12 legged tangle of reddish brown fur just spinning like Bugs Bunny's Tasmanian Devil all around the yard.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

108° here yesterday but it is supposed to get hot over the weekend.
Six, speaking of dark haired beauties, from the golf course of course. This one is Greek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Does she make Baklava?
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am sure, she also hunts and fishes and is my MRI contact.

Today's desk picture

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Gunny....when your 66 and only have one tree, you don't want to make a mistake. :D Plus, as an unsolicited gift from far way, I want to do my best.

Dogs!!!??? My hifalutin daughter drops off her two Frenchies yesterday and takes off......9 last night we realized she wasn't coming back for them.......my patience is gone.....these dogs have lots of energy and get into everything plus they have made ME # 2 in the house for farting...these dogs constantly fanny burp and they stink! Can't wait for her to get em outta here.....

Fred.....I'm in love again...for real.....there's something about a Greek/Italian girl that drives me wild.....she's a cutie....your desk tells me a lot of ones personality.......life of leisure in the upper classes.....even a magnifying glass that's all "windexed up"....where's the "Smithsoniam Magazine or the "New Yorker, or maybe "Doctors World" magazine.? Around here the only magazines are "how to kill it and grill it" and a few copies of "10 ways to fix the outdoor plumbing".---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six thats how Frenchies exhale!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

...25...Re: The Gun Room

Post by Sixgun »

Whew! She's here and good riddance......my daughter just grabbed two nice thick towels from the closet for those stinkin' dogs....I'll never see them again....the towels, I could care less about those nasty smelly dogs.

Found a good article on the care and growing of Redwoods.....(like you G.A.S. :D) hey! You like my abbreviations? G.A.S. you know, give a S........spells gas......I'm going outside and fanny burp in my daughters Jeep for a payback....

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/growing-r ... 74893.html
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ahhhhh, back from the chiropractor. Feel human again.

Yeah kiss those towels goodbye! You need to go to her place next week and take a couple of hers ! of course after you eat nothing but cabbage, beans and hard boiled eggs all week! :lol:

That article pretty much said what I did.... right ? No six you don't need to GAS where you plan to plant it!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

006, much better the Greek gal than tall Paul. ;-)
But how about that hot dog decoration?

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Geeze Fred....who is that 7 ft. monstrosity? That guy is huge! Could you see a guy like that on a scooter?.....or using an airplane bathroom......or driving a Volkswagen Beetle... :D

Yep Gunny...you were right......the article says to put a sapling in a "cold frame" during the winter.......hell..it'll still freeze at nighttime.

Fred....dunno about that hotdog....that crooked vein kinda takes my appetite away......

Need a new leatherman....I have like 5 of them but I want this new skelontized one...think I'll cruise on down to cabelas this week for something to do.-----006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I knew a guy almost that tall. He was my 7th grade social studies teacher. About 6'7" , he claimed to be one of the first US Army 'advisors' in Nam. He said he was always a target because he was so tall. Anyhow about halfway through the school year we got a new student, I'll never forget this kid as he was about 8" taller than the teacher! I couldn't imagine being that tall at 13/14 years old!! No Six he didn't play basketball.

Well the barrels are in limbo due to the Labor Day weekend, guy isn't going to ship them till Tuesday.

Going to shoot ZZ Birds tomorrow- I gotta remember to call Tom today!

Well coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ugh! What a senior moment!!!!
So I needed to cut 2 checks, done. 1 for credit card 1 for the vets office. Easy enough. I stick both envelopes in my shirt pocket, grab the jacket for repair, comforter for cleaning and off i go.
Now I have to go to 2 different towns to accomplish my errands. I go and drop off the jacket, hit the post office there then head for the other errands. Mind you there is a bridge out on the county road- what 4 miles between towns- all back roads and 2x as long-so I get to the bank and I go over my list , wait where is the vet bill? Oh pelosi you moron you put it in the mailbox! Back to where I started. Nice lady at the post office was kind enough to get it for me. I drive back to the other town to pay the vet bill and they are closed ! As are both dry cleaners!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not to worry Gunny, it usually takes me 2 trips to run any errand. Took 2 trips to Wal-mart to get my shopping done, (why aren't stores organized alphabetically like my grocery list)? I also doubled up on my Lotto tickets, cause I couldn't find one set... Oh well, I'm good thru Oct and don't need to worry about having my numbers picked and not having bought a ticket to the dance!!! Maybe I can retire some time between now and the 5th of Oct... then I'll send the Rose off to the custom shop, remove the front drive axle, buy a big horse trailer with fancy living quarters, start traveling around the country in my new "RV" and attend all the cowboy matches a feller could stand! It'll have a reloading shop between the horses and living quarters, along with a gun safe, and a "garage" for my gun cart! (I should be able to fit all that in a 50' trailer)!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Get a Shetland Pony ant you might be able to fit everything in. A full size horse will probably have to hang its butt out.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd forgot the horse all together and get a Polaris Ranger !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff.....that's a shame on the "comfy horse trailer" ...my BIL (wife's family :D ) is one of those guys who gets a big settlement and is broke a year later and he HAD a kick butt aluminum fifth wheel horse trailer with a living quarters in the nose that was second to none.....believe he used it one time and it sat for 5 years with weeds growing around it until he near gave it away.....would have been perfect for you, either with your dually or the Rose.

This guy is a total retart...450 G's and he blows it on pick up trucks, horses, guns, and a barn....NEVER thought about paying off the house first....today he is somewhere around 60 and he can't afford Old Milwaukee beer. He's so far in debt his wife has no idea when or IF she can retire......he don't work and she's not much better having bought diamonds as big as a golf ball and selling them for near nothing.

On to better things and tall people......TALL people think they are something special. My daughters beau is 6' 7" and talks to me and my wife like we are nothing peons, giving me little in the way of conversation and nothing in the way of accomplishments even though I've been debt free since I was 40 and he owes the world his next 50 years of labor. I've noticed this with many tall people., except Donald Trump! .....(well, not necessarily better)

I'm not doing good today......mom made the ""bestest" Amish patty sausage and peppers and she made it a bit hot....I was up at 5 - 7 on the toilet from severe abdominal cramps....headed out to put the loader on the mighty Kubota and move some dirt around.--006
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok I MUST go see an eye doctor! I feel like Marty Feldman. I just can't do this up close detail work anymore!
20200905_153443.jpg
I was given this stock for Perazzi last year. Figured I would inlet it for this Comp 1 as the stock it came with is ugly & adjustable (except for pitch- most critical dimension) and i don't like adjustable stocks. I spent the past couple hours scratching away, have the cheeks & top tang starting to touch.
I tell ya there are semi- inlets and there are good semi-inlets... this one is probably middle of the road.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I got the privilege of joining up with Gunny this morning to watch him and others shoot the elusive ZZ birds. Actually looked fun( if you have any coordinations, I don’t). I don’t know if he is aware but both times he went up to shoot a crowd stopped bs ing and paid attention. He did well. I enjoyed our conversation and to see what this ZZ bird thing was.
Yesterday I went to an estate auction. 79 guns,reloading stuff, and ammo. A Ruger AR-15 went for $1500, and a used Glock 23 for $800.😳 I bricks of 22lr $55 a brick. I would say next to Barry O, Hidin Biden and Crazy Kamala May be the best gun sales people since Paul Mauser.

Jay,I just realized the other day this was our traditional bear week up in Eustis. I really should go again and take my son.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny...you have my admiration for being able to have patience and skill for such tedious projects.....that's why a real "craftsman" demands and gets the big bucks. After it's all done and totally finished along with several extra barrel sets.....can I have it?.....if you need a magnifying glass to read that, join the "over the hill club". (Hint..your vision does not get better)

What did you get T Bone? Yea....been to many auctions like that....more money than brains.......I like the other kind of auctions....where it's not advertised and I get a "sneak preview" weeks in advance....

You and Gunny paling around? Did you try shooting any of these ZZ thing a ma jigs?

Oh S.....what to do today? 3:00 and have not had breakfast yet.......
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Tom, was good to hang out and chew the fat .
Well my eyes are sore today, well more of a tired feeling.
Those pesky ZZbirds! I shot a 5x5 for practice, the match I shot a 4,4,3 &a 5 a 16x20 is normally NOT a score to get in the top of the pack. Its funny today the conditions were perfect! No wind , great light and the winning score of 17 took the trophy- yes an actual cup trophy. The leader was sitting on the fence to win with a 19, he gets to his last 5 targets and kills a 1 ! Good enough for 3rd place.

Well I'm beat, hope I have the energy to get up and go fishing tomorrow- the yellow fin tuna and bonito are in the area !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

So... yesterday I got up and started a load of laundry... then decided to get the New Holland out and hook up the Titan 12" bat-wing mower and get it lubed to be ready to start mowing as soon as the ground dries up a bit. Put the grease gun on the 1st grease fitting, shot the pivot for the back wheels full of grease, and pulled the grease gun off... and out came the zerk fitting! Looked at the fitting and it appeared to be some type of press-in with a sleeve around it. The sleeve was all buggered up and not centered on the fitting. And of course the dealer decided to close on this Saturday to make a 3 day weekend for his people! Grrr! :P :twisted: :twisted:

Ok, no big deal... put in a new zerk fitting. Right! Gotta tap the hole first, check hole, drilled a tad off center, at a very slight angle. Hole is too big for the ¼-28 zerks I have, don't have the larger size. Meanwhile the son is greasing up the rest of the mower deck after finishing the tractor. "Hey, Pop, there's a zerk missing here on the pivot for the mower, (tow bar hitch)..." No problem, get one from my supply, and nope, too small for the ¼-28 zerks I have. Check hole, perfect 6mm. Ok, I have the son run to the store and buy a kit of various metric zerks... 6, 8 & 10 mm. Meanwhile I go to disassemble the bolt and nut holding the pivot that raises and lowers the rear part of the mower. Yep, metric bolt & nut. A 38mm & 36mm, nope, I don't own either. I've got up to 1-¾", a 3/4" drive. Way too big, even my 1-½" wrench is too big. So, I have to run to Northern Tool (not too far away), and pick up the two sockets & an adapter from ½" to ¾" drive! $50+ worth of sockets. Oh well, they'll be needed again! I get the bolt & nut out, clean out the grease, and oh... wait... I don't have the right 8mm x 1.0 tap! Back to Northern Tool for a metric die & tap set. Yep, they'll be need again, right? With the tools and parts on hand, I get the first hole tapped and and the zerk installed. Clean up the interior of the shaft hole so there's no burrs, (those cordless dremels come in might handy at times like this)!

Oh, yeah, yep, while I'm gone the son has another zerk pull out. This one on the pivot for the front part of the mower.

So, by now it's nearly dark, and I call a halt till tomorrow (today), and put up the tools. Start over this morning, about 11 am... and get started on getting access to fix the 2nd pulled zerk replaced. New sockets and an impact make short work of removing the bolt, and then tap this hole. Goes well. Clean up the inside of the pivot so there's no burrs, and install the zerk, bolt and nut. Get in the tractor and start it up to pick up the mower deck, put the jack stands and jack away, and go to hook up the PTO drive shaft to the mower. Note one zerk ain't been greased... grab the gun, grease it up. and yep, the zerk pulls out with the gun!

Get all the tools back out, jack, jack stands impact, sockets, and taps.

Then look at hole, ain't even round, and drilled at a way worse angle than the 1st one done yesterday!

Out comes the drill, hmmm... what size hold does one need for a 8mm x 1.0 tap? Chart shows a number J drill, or a .255671" hole. Hardware store quit carrying letter drill bits years ago! Ok, what fractional is close to .255671"? Ok, a 17/64", no problem. Except, mine is missing from the drill set! Search thru the extras I have bought to keep as spares... Phew! Have one! Drill out hole and then run tap thru and fix the 3rd (of 4 total) zerks for the pivots on the bat-wings!

About here I wondered if maybe I shouldn't have bought the "Brush Hog" or the other "brand" name mower! But, hey this one was a couple thousand bucks cheaper! I guess I paid for their quality control, or lack thereof! Yes, Tuesday, I'm going to the dealer with an invoice for parts and labor for this warranty repair... and I'll make sure I include at least 10% of the total for misc. cleaners, tools and such needed to do the job! Meanwhile... should I go ahead and remove the 4th press in zerk and install a threaded one?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I did not try it Jack. Although Gunny made it look easy...I watched a bunch of others and it didn’t look easy when they did it. I barely know which end is dangerous on a shotgun.
At the auction I bought a box of assorted fishing stuff that had three reels in it for...$5. I bought a tool box with lots of odds and ends of crappy tools for $10 think I am gonna get it organized and give to my nephew. I bought 2 sets of dies 7-30 waters Rcbs and an unopened 45 long Colt Lyman set for $10 for both sets. Three boxes of 300 grai Hornady 375 round nose for $10 safety triangle set in box$3 and a box of Hornady 265 gr 430 for $20 and a handful of pocketknives for $15 because it had a gerber multi tool and a Kershaw speedsafe new in the box in the lot. Good day for me.
Gunny had done a beautiful job of filing and sanding a stock for me. I picked it up today at the shoot and am VERY Thankful.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: ZERKS

Post by Sixgun »

Well, I'm 66 years old and have seen the word "zerk" maybe two times in my life......I just read a post where it was mentioned 3,947 times.......GRIFF.....yea.....PITA those zerks are......I personally would have degreased the threads and epoxied them in there. :D
That's called "redneck tap and die ing".

If the world is still here in 50 years the survivors will be saying, "hey, remember when half of all bolts and nuts were metric and the other half were SAE?" and they will continue, "sure is easier now that everything is ebonics threading."...which is nothing more than a press fit with tape on one end

I'm zerked out......me and mom and Miss Apple take a cruise in the Rubicon ...maybe 10 miles around here on back roads.....nice with the low humidity.......get home and here comes a pick up truck down the driveway..... :twisted: Lucky for him it was my buddy who owns Targetmaster.......I listen to a million stories about the bros trying to buy guns with records about 30 pages long....then he says, "hey, how many lobsters do you want...free?." He has this huge mega cooler with a hoard of crawling lobsters in it. To me they look like some ancient diseased extinct bug...."none, I reply"

Listen to more stories. He tells me about his buddy who owns a gunshop in &/]=*^~< and his buddy was telling him how two bros broke in during the riots and he blitzed one with the bullet going through him and hitting his buddy. First guy was DRT ....THAT was a good heart warming story.....here he finds out there was a gang of them and they tried to get his gunshop a week later....bad move ...they got away but lots of pictures for the cops to hunt them down.....he tells the cops , "what good are the pictures, they all look the same!"

Well....LABOR DAY tomorrow. You working stiffs take a day off at my expense but return on Tuesday as I don't want my THREE checks bouncing by the 15th. -------006
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

....and...congrats to Mr Third Place........Gunny.....what kind of a choke do you use? .....must be a mega wide with a 20" barrel.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun... I believe in fixing it right the first time... that way if a zerk needs replacing, just unscrew it and screw the new one in! And I only used the work "zerk" 13 times!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

111° on the course today. Didn't even feel hot.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Griff, don’t be a zerk! You know Jack, he was just zerking around.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

ZERKS FOR JERKS

Post by Sixgun »

Hey you tarts.....that's all ya had to do was stop over...I got every kind of zerk that's made...I got elbows, short ones, long ones, stubby ones, ugly ones, new ones, rusty ones, and I got the zerk tap and the zerk die.

And ya know the funny thing about it all? I never knew what a zerk was.....I always called them grease fittings.....you people down in Texas are too cultured for me....up here in Pa, we be rednecks.....where Jay lives, they don't even use grease fittings...they just get some used motor oil and put it in a Windex spray bottle.....

Zerk! Next thing ya know you'll be taking a European vacation to "suck up the culture".-----00Zerk

Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Six, it was my hunting partner from CA, the mechanic, insisted I quit callin' 'em grease fittings... their "proper name" was zerk fitting! He's also the guy that taught how to rebuild an auto trans, and many tips on other auto work. So... zerk fitting it is!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok...you are exonerated.....from here on in, it's zerks.--------002
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Chokes are Perazzi #4 screw in ( modified) bottom barrel, and the top barrel is fixed at .042" or extra full. I shot 1&1/8 of #9s in the bottom and 1&1/8 of 7narfs in the top. Most guys shoot 8s but with the increased pellet count with 9s I wanted to try it, they worked fine.

When I was at the yard I was constantly replacing zerks on the Case W11B bucket loader. It was neglected. Half the time I'd get the fitting out but the pivot pins were dry, crunchy and wouldn't take grease. So I would use a syringe and needle to inject mineral spirits into the dry grease until it would soften. No idea how many hours spent on those. That machine was used everyday for 30+years but kept on going without maintenance.

Well today to try and figure out what's going on with this Savage 22-250. I have The owners loads, some factory and the accuracy load for my 22-250... But what is my load? Don't know where my notes got to! Owner says he misses groundhogs at 150. That's a chip shot!

Oh and my barrels are 29.5". Ya can't get 30" or 32" from Perazzi anymore- either 29.5 or 31.5 .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

You Colonials sure have funny names for stuff, I've never heard of zerks or grease fittings, in the UK they are rightly called Grease Nipples....at 17 years old I worked as a Grease Monkey in a garage, or as you guys might say a Lube Bay guy. 🇬🇧🇺🇸
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.