The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:57 pmActually Griff it was not even a nasty letter. She just brought up issues of responsibility, liability and hospitality regarding the situation.
The best nasty letters are the ones that kill 'em with kindness.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That would be Tracy, one of those nicest person I ever met people.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Heeeeeere it is Griff, you win ... just in time for the holidays.

Or you can have Rt 138 and use it any time you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll take rte 138! I don't drink coffee.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Lot of bad news except for Griff...well bad news for him too...his electric bill is about to get higher....

Jay.....a clean miss is fine.....those don't bother me.......I'm not sure how it is to lose a deer that's badly wounded...never had one...and never will as I'm done hunting.....as I know you to be an honorable hunter...and person, I know you'll do your best for a follow up........

I've had several clean misses when I was younger taking shots when I knew there was little chance of a hit.....stupid

Gunny......sometimes I'll sit here and feel like the world is falling on me ......when nothing is wrong. Hearing unfortunate accidents like your buddy puts a new perspective on life.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Gunny, that really sucks. I hope he can deal with losing a leg. That cannot be easy.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry about your friend Gunny. That exact thing happened to a friend of mine a year and a half ago. He is still trying to get better. He had a bad head injury also.

Yeah, I definitely looked thoroughly, Six. I don't miss very often. It bothered me, as I shouldn't have. I just think I can't use those old sights other than on the range.
I hate tracking. Done enough of it that day for a lifetime.
And no, I don't shoot and then walk away.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's the brother of my buddy, I've not met the brother. I'm getting info 3rd hand so I'm not really in the loop. Tom this is my buddy in Wommelsdorf.

I have seen many deer that have broadheads in them, buckshot, attached wad from slugs, heck a couple with one lung- all years old wounds. Provided the animals doesn't get infected they are amazingly resilient. They don't always bleed outside. Now I'm NOT saying you quit on that deer- just that they are tough ! You did what every ethical hunter would do. Of the usual guys I hunted with I got a lot of tracking practice as 3 of them are color blind and couldn't see blood. Quite common in males. Anyhow I'll always remember a mile plus tracking job ,Moon's ( name withheld) broadhead had 1 blade cut the brisket, allowing me to track that deer to a small stream where we found it too weak to do anything more. That was a long drag!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ted Nugent once had a deer which he put an arrow through that got away. No blood trail. Recovered the arrow with lung tissue on it. The next year, hunting in the same area, he saw it again. The second year he killed it. The deer was so rotten inside that he could not understand how it had lived. They are amazingly tough. He wrote about that in some magazine.
Twenty some years ago, a friend and I were hunting and he shot a deer. We trailed it for more miles than I would like to really have walked. There was snow on the ground and it was losing a lot of blood. We quit for the night around 3 AM when our flashlights died. The next morning we found where it had died and coyotes got to it. Not a drop of blood where it got eaten. It had bled out while running. That deer wanted to get away. The last mile there was not a drop of blood to be seen.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I was a LOT younger I wounded a deer with a shot that was underestimated by a good third! After the 350 yard trek down into the ravine, and halfway up the otherside where the deer had collapsed, I proceeded to, between big huge gulps of what air there is at 9,500', I proceeded to miss that deer from 25' 7 times while I attempted to end that fiasco. Whether it was the shot to the head on round 9, or he'd finally bled out... I don't care. I learned a lot that day.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:32 pmLot of bad news except for Griff...well bad news for him too...his electric bill is about to get higher....
Pzzt... Sixgun, my electric bill last month was $-17.06! Read it and weep!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:37 pm
Sixgun wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:32 pmLot of bad news except for Griff...well bad news for him too...his electric bill is about to get higher....
NEGATIVE $17???!!! Some people need to be shot. That tells me one thing...you are prepaying. I know a guy who gives the electric company $2,000 in January just so he don't have to pay the bill every month for a while.

Here, in S.E. Pa, we have one of the countries highest rates and I manage to keep mine between $120 and $160......and that's with full air conditioning ....and......we have have a fell electric house....
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom's brother??!! Oh man.
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:03 pm
Griff wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:37 pm
NEGATIVE $17???!!! Some people need to be shot. That tells me one thing...you are prepaying. I know a guy who gives the electric company $2,000 in January just so he don't have to pay the bill every month for a while.
Here, in S.E. Pa, we have one of the countries highest rates and I manage to keep mine between $120 and $160......and that's with full air conditioning ....and......we have have a fell electric house....
Aye, me too. And 10kWh of solar panels!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

IF I had the expendable money and I told my wife I'm going out to buy a new Corvette or something equally expensive with FOUR wheels she would give me the go ahead.

One time I came through the door with a box and she said, "what's in there and how much did it cost?" Me....ahh..couple of old Colt single action army's, ...stole em at 13." When she asked how many zero's came after "13" I said "3".....she didn't even blink an eye and I don't have that kind of loot but somehow I managed.

If I asked her if she wouldn't mind if I wanted to buy a $1,000 motorcycle and that I'd only drive it 100 miles a year she would show me the door and not to let it hit me in the A.

IT WORKS SO GREAT......when she has a bug up her A about something or says she's going to do this or that I just say, "Fine with me, and while your doing that I'm taking a ride to Hannums." (Hannums is the Harley dealer)
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I didn't know Tom had a brother.... I do know he is a brotha tho! :lol:

If it wasn't for all these trees I'd be in a good place for solar panels, top of the hill, falling grade to the south and large roof area with southern exposure! Still a negative eletric bill is a nice thing !

We had a deer we named Gary- after the guy that center punched his shoulder with a arrow. That deer spent months in agony before we saw him again. When he finally got shot as a mercy killing that leg was atrophied and nothing but puss- the buzzards enjoyed it. No way we were going to butcher it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Today I had little to nothing to do (what's new) so I walked Miss Apple through the fields to my inlaws butcher shop......they were skinning away.....they have a bucket near filled with old arrowheads, bullets, buckshot that were in the deer before they were shot again.....I was telling them about our recent conversation and my SIL and BIL both said it common to find old arrowheads in a festered bubble of pus.

That's the main reason why I never liked bow hunting.....yea, I know what your gonna say.....but unless your a good ole boy and know how to track more deer percentage wise are lost to bow hunters.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A broadhead is one of the most deadly thing provided it goes in the RIGHT spot! Hit through the lungs or heart and they are already dead. Hit poorly well we all know the puss filled outcome.

There is a local butcher shop that has a glass counter filled with bones impaled. I dont bow hunt much anymore but when using 2 inch cut Rage broadhead I never had a deer run out of sight!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Gunny....I guess the same goes with a gun....most hunters can't track an elephant in a muddy field.

I loaded some 38 self defense loads tonight......this load was supposedly proven by the British in WW1 to be equal in stopping power with the 455 Webley.....they called it the 38/200 which was a 200 grain bullet loaded to 600 fps. It would supposedly tumble upon impact as the bullet was not stabilized too well.

I use 3.5 gr of Bullseye for 627 fps out of a 2" Smith. The base is semi hollow and I flatten the round nose for more effect. This is a soft swaged bullet that was bought, not cast.----006

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Off today as yesterday turned into a fiasco! We were supposed to install an 8' sliding door. Got to the job and start taking the cardboard off the door. Bossman and homeowner get that oh no look on their faces about the same instant. The door is backwards. Supposed to have the operating panel on the other side! Pack it back up and now to wait another 4 weeks to get the correct door. So we go to another house to do some rot repair. While you are here can you replace this? Done. Can you remove this old vanity? Yes- no! Can't get the water shut offs to turn off, gotta get a plumber in.

Six I always wanted to develop a 200 gr hollow base wadcutter, added weight and that huge cavity would cause some real havoc!

If I get around to it I might fire up the pot today and try that little Lyman 375 mold today.

An inch of rain tomorrow!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Gunny...boss man can't be happy wit dat.....he ain't turning over the green unless accomplishments are being made.....reminds me of me...I don't do a F thing for 40K a year....nuttin'. Zilch....no bills except electric, ins. and house taxes.....now, GET BACK TO WORK......I don't want no rain check on the first and 15th

Got up early today....1:35!!! Ain't dat somethin'? I'm a pig......well, now it's time for Silencer Smooth BRCC and a waltz down to the gun room......

Are you working yet?-----6
Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No work today. Went to town- bank & last minute grocery shopping.
Then I made a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread.
Then I went downstairs to load some 410s and the press and I aren't getting along! Last I used my single stage was for 2&1/2s and for the life of me I can't get it adjusted for 3" . Had to walk away !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, got both old Jeeps put up this afternoon after we got home.
Snowing so hard by noon you could barely see.
Then I got to clean the driveway. So starts another winter.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Look at the power of a log splitter......

Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Now that I have lights and electricity in the reloading shop, I did some today. 400 rounds of 45 Colt (6 grains of RedDot behind a 200 gr RFN). Filled the GI can. 250 rounds of Cowboy 45 Special for the sixguns, 160 gr RFN ahead of 3.4 grs of Clays. 60 rounds of 44-40 with a 200 gr RFN with 6.8 gr of Unique, then lastly 300 rounds of 45ACP with the same RFN I use in the 45 Col, these got 4.8 grs of TiteGroup.

As I was setting up the 44.40 for 3 new bullets, I noticed that I was getting some sloppy feeding of the primers on the Dillon 500B I purchased in 1987. Seating the primers caused the top of the ram to rotate slightly, pulling the primer operating bar out of the wheels and get misaligned, the next primer bar movement would skip and jump, either throwing the primer out or causing it to flip. A close inspection revealed the leg pins were severely worn. It won't stay aligned. It needs rebuilding. Guess what going back to Dillon next Monday! If I didn't have two 500s I'd trade it in on a 750! I see where Dillon has a upgrade to the 500 to a "C" model, includes greaseable pins and bushings. I think I'll put off that decision until I talk to them.

So the 45ACP loading got done on the other machine. What a difference!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Who in the F loads "6.8" grains of Unique? Even with the best of powder measures I've never been able to get Unique to be within 2/10ths of a grain plus or minus.....round it off before I come down there and hi Jack the Black Rose.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You think that is a true testament to a log splitter? Ya should have seen a buddy's wife's hand! They have one of those centrifugal splitters ( big flywheel) , these splitters are FAST. Well the son was on the controls, she was loading and the kid pulled the lever- 3 fingers GONE. Never ever load a splitter with hand between the hard parts- always hold the bark!

Last night my sister called, they are not coming for dinner today. My niece works with a girl that just found out her parents are positive. 20 lbs turkey and all the fixings... Happy Thanksgiving??
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I went to school with this kid named Robert. This guy was one of (and still is) the toughest guys I've ever known. I've never seen him wear a winter coat. :shock:
We were in 3rd grade, and he was splitting wood for his dad. Got his hand between the wood and the wedge lengthwise somehow. It split his hand between the middle fingers half way through his hand.
Tell you what......THAT left a mark.

Sorry your Thanksgiving plans got messed up Gunny. We had one while the kids and grandkids were here. Doing another small one today.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea...for what it's worth...Happy Thankgiving......just another day here....so mom goes out and buys a turkey the size of a bus and it's just her and me.....daughter went upstate to inlaws and I won't go to my inlaws as covid is rampant around here .....very rampant. ...... And the way those people screw there must be 20 kids running all over the place.....

JAY....THE COYOTE.......LETS SEE THE COYOTE.......DID POPS SHOOT ONE? Looks like. 32 Spl trapper next to the wild dog. STORY PLEASE....006
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:43 pmGriff,
Who in the F loads "6.8" grains of Unique? Even with the best of powder measures I've never been able to get Unique to be within 2/10ths of a grain plus or minus.....round it off before I come down there and hi Jack the Black Rose.
The Dillon hit "roughly" 6.8 on five consecutive drops... I'm off to the races, check every time I load a tube of primers.. yep still "roughly" 6.8, back at it! Then check the last round I'm loading... yep, still "roughly" 6.8! You should know that I'm using a RCBS 10-10 measure and that balance beam stuff is THE BOMB when it comes to accuracy! :P :D :D

Today its to top off the 45ACP can, then back to 45 Colt and Cowboy45Special for my black powder addiction!!! I've got 1,000 160gr RFN lubed for BP that're going in the C45S, but I'll have to cast my 225s for the 45 Colt!

Spending my day being "thankful" I have electricity to prepare myself to do the things I do in pursuit of happiness, and since I've long since abandoned tradition, I'm having STEAK for my dinner! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:31 pm ! I've got 1,000 160gr RFN lubed for BP that're going in the C45S,

I'm having STEAK for my dinner! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :P :P
Hey Griff...TWO things....160 gr for 45 Long Colt? That's why I quit cowboy shooting.....guys using 110 gr. Bullets with 2 grains of Bullseye......

#2...your having steak for dinner??! Tube steak?

(I'm sorry buddy, I feel like S today......my ears are ringing like crazy...my sinuses are clogged....it's Thanksgiving and anyone I ever cared about is dead or moved away.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just got a call from some turkey, claimed to be our FWB! Good to hear you are kicking the kommie krud!

Coyote? Where did Jay kill a yote? I don't remember reading that....
Then again I can't remember, H110 & 296 the same or is it 4227 & ?? The same?
Still cussing 3" 410s. Got Winchester working ok but Remington and Fiocchi are giving me fits!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey guys. Happy Thanksgiving.

Yes, I shot a pretty good sized male coyote yesterday morning.
To be honest, I didn't mention it here cause I didn't know how everyone felt about it, and I kinda felt like my ethics were on shaky ground anyway.
Since you asked, buddy, here goes.

First, the carbine is my little 44 magnum trapper. I started hunting with it after my miss with the 73. Hunting in such thick areas, I had trouble with the sights.
It was about 15 degrees out and starting to snow that morning. Our friend who owns the land across the stream called Saturday and asked if we had a lot of coyotes. He shot a female that day. I said no. Hadn't heard any, hadn't seen any sign, been seeing deer.
Seemed like the next day it changed. No new deer sign. I also found piles of coyote droppings. Big ones! One was right beside the shack! :shock:
So, back to yesterday. I had been in my stand a couple hours when it started snowing harder. My dad texted and asked if I was staying. I said yes as I had heard some shell ice breaking out in the swale along the stream. Now this is to my right, to the east. I can't see out there even though it is close because it's so thick. I heard the ice several more times and figured it was a deer bedding out there due to the weather.
After a bit, it became clear it was on the move, coming out towards me to the north in front of me. It was heading west, and if it held a line would cross in front of me but I doubted I would see it.
A few seconds later, I caught a flash of brown, but knew it wasn't a deer. I recognized it as a coyote but there was no way I could get a shot. I had swung the little trapper up slowly and cranked the hammer back. I was shocked when it turned towards me and came on slowly. The downside was it is so thick with so much interference of limbs I still wasn't sure. And, it was to my right which is harder for a right handed shooter. I had to move the carbine around a small cedar (thank God for trappers) and finally got a bead. When the little 44 barked he spun towards the stream and went down hard. He was snarling and growling something fierce and snapping at the wound. The slug had gone through his back, missing the spine and back through his guts. By the time he hit the ground I had another round cranked in and put it through his chest once he was on his side. Done.
I included a pic of where he was from my stand. As I've said, it ain't easy shooting in country like this.
I dragged him out of my hunting area. NOT FUN. I didn't weigh him, but he is a fairly large one. Pretty, but stinky as all get out. I will probably do a skull mount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good- that yote won't eat any more fawns!!

I'm sure he was looking for his mate that your neighbor shot.

No we weren't questioning your ethics!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Gunny.
And yes, I checked all the droppings for deer hair. I didn't see any and I'm glad. If I had, I would have immediately figured it was the deer I fired at whether it was or not.
It was full of rabbit hair.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Then today its a good day to be a bunny in Maine!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Just the cycles.
For whatever reason, there has been a lot of small game and rodents the last few years. As such, the predator population has grown with it. There has been a huge number of Canadian lynx, bobcat, fisher, and coyotes seen this fall. I personally have seen an example of all those.
Normally, it's rare to see any.
Lots of guys finding coyote ravaged deer also. Not good!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gotta start trapping- although the fur market has tanked due to the kommie krud !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That IS some of the issue. Beaver are damming up everything.
My buddy has lost a couple calfs to coyotes since thus summer.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Man sees coyote, man shoots coyote... Good, the way it oughta be done! Neighbors have lost calves to coyotes? Being an ethical neighbor means killing coyotes! Good job Jay.

And for the record Jack, I ain't trying to kill the targets... just make them go "ding"... These ain't for hunting, even for self defense... unless the zombie apocalypse comes soon... maybe they'd be good for the required head shots... they seem accurate enough. and the lead and powder will last longer! When I was still playing with the "Serve & Protect" boys, I didn't shoot reduced loads, my competition ammo, practice ammo and duty ammo equaled factory stuff... and before you give me that carpe diem (is that holy stuff in Latin?), the DA in our county told us... you're using lethal means to stop a threat... make it lethal. If it's a good shoot, I won't take it to the grand jury... So in my back up magazines I carried Speer "flying ashtrays"! In fact, I found 1100 of 'em in an estate sale last year... and bought them all! IMO, they're better than the Gold Dots.

And Tom, keep fighting the Chicom Crud! Prayers up pard!

I think this can is full...

Start of my casting: RCBS 45-225-CAV
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Griff old buddy.

Don't you just love looking at an ammo can chock full of "Dillon Poop"! :D
Looks like a lot if fun shootin'.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ha I'm stealing that!! Dillon poop- one for the ages!!!

Turkey check
Peas check
Tashed maters check
Stuffing check
Geeze thats all I got room for!! Gonna have to stuff pecan pie in 1 cheek, apple in the other for later!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:03 pm Ha I'm stealing that!!
#1..GUNNY....You can't do that, that why we hired Jay and his sidekick, Mr Coat.

#2...GRIFF....Stop being so sensitive...it ain't none of my business how you load or what loads you use for anything. Keep remembering....Sixgun is bored....Sixgun is bored...Sixgun is bored....

#3...JAY.....why do you give a F what others think? Be yourself....it's a F ing COYOTE! ....I'd sooner wound one so his buddies can eat his guts while he is running...the same that they do to deer and the same I'd like to do to election officials....BE YOURSELF....I AM.....most people will condemn and criticize you but they ain't your friends anyway...they would drive past your house if it's on fire and not help or call.....the very very few who stick by you would give you their last dollar, does "Gun Room" ring a bell? Most of the guys on the LEVERGUNS board are moral high roaders and are so full of S you can smell em a mile away. YOU WANT AN EXAMPLE?

Try selling something cheap..they will ALL be your friend and after the transaction is complete they forget your name. F. em...I know who the good guys are.

#4.....OLD SAVAGE.....get the porn people's numbers and you'll find they are the same as blue states representatives....yea, Kali.

#5.....SIXGUN......get a life! Just because the election in the world's greatest nation was stolen by a bunch of whacko queer transgenders who are parasites and hate the United States is no reason to be so negative. So they take your guns...big deal....so they take your money and give it to illegals and other trash..big deal...so they raise your taxes to give to undesireables, don't worry, you will still be able to afford stale bread. Geeze, if you get hungry you can always go to the soup kitchens on public transportation.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey bud.
I DON'T care what most people think. But I DO care what my friends think.
You are right. Coyotes do a LOT of damage. And, they did not come here naturally and they aren't your average coyote. They are a hybrid manufactured in the U of M laboratory and then strategically released.
I will say, I have have the utmost respect for them as survivors. These things are fearfully cagey and adaptable. I can see a day, when I have more time, that they are the only hunting I do.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A lot of individual decisions.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
Mom said, "look at the wolf Jay shot!" I looked and said, "that ain't no wolf, I don't think there are wolves in Maine, there maybe some old refrigerators or a few old washing machines, but no wolves"

That sucker looks big.......I told mom that maybe it's the "fox thing".....foxes look big because of the fur......

How much you think it weighed? 40-50 pounds?-----6 (likes you no matter what you say)
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah.
There are rumors of the same thing going on here with wolves being released now. While they are big and can do more damage, they are not the danger coyotes are. They are no where near as smart and adaptable. Wolves have been eradicated in many places. Never coyotes.
It probably went around 40 to 45.
I believe the state record was in the 90s. Yup, 90s. :shock:

Hitting the hay Boys. Got an early one tomorrow.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Colder the climate the larger the animal gets. A 90 pound yote is a BIG one by anyone's standard! Out in Co if you were driving along and saw a yote it was common courtesy to stop and try to shoot it. If you got it ya tied it to the fence to hang nose down- a very effective warning to other coyotes and the rancher knew what section was under attack.

All the 30 odd years I went to Quebec fishing we only ever saw 1 wolf. Never heard them but always found tracks. That's a critter of a different color. I saw a study once, a dog has been manipulated/ bred/ evolved by man to have problem solving skills, wolves do not have this. They took a golden retriever, showed it food and covered it with a clear bowl. Flipped and eaten easy as pie. Same for the wolf, it sat there looking at the bowl. Then it was shown the food again and it sat there. Yes wolves are cunning, effective predators but they are not 'smart'. Coyotes are another level!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Coyotes are smart. They will trick dogs by getting them to chase a member or 2 of the pack, then the others will sneak in behind and make a kill.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:22 am Flipped and eaten easy as pie.
Gunny....what kind of pie was it? What is a coyotes favorite pie? Peach, Apple, cranberry, mince meat, cherry? My theory is it's just as easy to put a cat under a bowl instead of going to all the trouble of baking a pie. Does it have to a pie made from scratch or can you just buy one at the supermarket? Frozen or left out in the sun? I don't want to make the coyote sick.

All these questions and so little answers.

I have a mounted Fox downstairs that weighed 18 pounds. The taxidermist said it was the biggest fox he ever mounted. I shot it and about a dozen others with a .33 Winchester while hunting deer.

Hey! Guess what? I found a binary trigger for the Ruger 10-22!!! Some company called "grab a gun".

Well, I'm off to the supermarket to get some pies and a glass bowl....does the bowl have to be clear glass? Microwaveable?

i know, go blow your brain out! :D
Model A Uzi’s