The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay....have you been taking photography lessons from Kirk D. from Canada? If so, you left out the brand new work gloves.

That's a decent looking '73....DOM?....what's the load? Are those the bullets I sent ya? Need more?

Good luck bro and aim straight.---JB
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Good luck Jay. My doe gun this year will hopefully be that 86 now in 50-110 if not I have the 1895 30-40 sighted in and ready to go. Hunting with the old stuff makes it more enjoyable to me. My buck gun is always something modern as I don’t want to miss a monster that could be outta range with an oldies iron sights.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Aye, good luck with the '73 this season Jay! Next year for me... I've got to stay out and work to catch up until I (hopefully) take off for New Zealand to visit family after the first of the year!

Dang... look at this... someone other'n Sixgun won a page!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:02 pm Good luck Jay. My doe gun this year will hopefully be that 86 now in 50-110 if not I have the 1895 30-40 sighted in and ready to go. Hunting with the old stuff makes it more enjoyable to me. My buck gun is always something modern as I don’t want to miss a monster that could be outta range with an oldies iron sights.
Sissy......First time I hunted elk I used tang sighted 1886's and continued for another 10-14 years with the same gun but in different calibers......33....45-70 and 45-90.....people told me I was crazy.....the reward is much more fulfilling.....so fulfilling I stopped hunting...had enough.

That 50-110 of yours will be neato......it'll be like the deer getting whacked with a sledgehammer......I did some gunsmithing on a buddies in line 50 caliber BP.....he stopped over today to pick them up and shows me these 50 caliber "powerbelts" that weighed 300 grains or about the same as your 50-110.---6

Yea Griff........it's that imposter from another planet!!!

New Zealand? Driving the Black Rose there? :D can I come?
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you guys. Thus us a great bunch.

Six,
The old gal was made in 1887. I am using 8.2gr Unique.
Yup! They are the bullets you sent me. I think the brass too. It was "packing material". The bullets shoot about the best of any I've tried. It has a perfect bore, but the only 44 mold i have is a factory Winchester and its too small for smokeless loads. Need to order a mold. My only concern is the commercial cast are a little hard for hunting. We will see!

FW,
Thanks buddy. Best if luck with your 86 and 95!

Griff,
Kristy is shipping your syrup today. I'm jealous about New Zealand. Nita lot of countries I want to see, but that is one. Beautiful!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jay get up you are late for the first day of hunting!! :D

NZ is one country I would like to see. Good hunting, great fishing and breath taking scenery for sure!

Yes that is the easiest way to make a throat plate. I had faith you could do it!

I've been shooting those black belts for years. But I have a custom 1:48 twist for my Encore and the slower twist allows me to shoot 250s, still more bullet than needed but the higher velocities flatten the curve a bit. These new inlines with 1:28 I really don't care for- gotta push bullets with 100-150 gr to get accuracy and pretty much stuck at 300 gr bullets.

Better get some flex seal for the Rose if you are going to drive to NZ :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey- remember I said i have the very first orignal CCI headstamp?
Here it is
20201031_083600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Today, the weather here is clear and warm. Should get up to around 72 to 75 degrees. It is supposed to cool back into the 60s to maybe upper 50s overnight. Should be perfect weather for the little ones going out for gum, candy, or a rock. (Remember Charlie Brown getting rocks?)
That puppy is one of three. She is like most, either running and playing or sleeping. She is about 14 or 15 pounds. The other two are bigger. Colter is about 25 pounds, and Trooper Thorn is about 45 to 48 pounds. All are basically the same color, but Colter has the rough coat. Puppies are like toddlers in the way they have boundless energy until they stop to sleep, and they love their family totally without conditions. Sure they have to be taught where they can use as a toilet, but children must be taught the same. If you can't love puppies and nice old firearms, then there is not much to recommend you to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well #$@%!
It was in the teens this morning and a little crispy. I'm out at the shack now for some soup and a warm up.
I was going to reposition my ladder stand this year and didn't bother cause I was cutting trails. Major stupid!
Sitting there this morning and this little doe comes from behind me to my weak side. I took a chance and didn't move. She walked by about 15 yards. Never smelled or saw me. Too small to shoot the first day....... I hope.
So a half hour later I hear another coming from behind. I figure maybe buck, so I slowly get up and turn around to peek through my brush camo. Can't see anything cause of the #$&@%$& sun! Finally catching moving along a steep ridge to my right. Looked like a six or eight point, hard to say.
With a scope I'd of had him. With the old 73, I didn't dare chance a shot. Seemed like such a good idea BEFORE the season!
And just for some perspective......
Hunting here isn't like down south where you see 20 deer a day and have to shoo em away. I've hunted a whole season and not see what I saw this morning.
Hope I get another chance boys. That buck would have been a good score with the 73. Sending dad to his ladder stand this afternoon. That buck was headed that direction.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jay, any deer I see in the field is success to me. I've passed on deer that looked too skinny, too something that stalled my pulling the trigger and still felt I'd been successful! And karma always gave me a 2nd chance at something better!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Griff wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:05 pm Jay, any deer I see in the field is success to me. I've passed on deer that looked too skinny, too something that stalled my pulling the trigger and still felt I'd been successful! And karma always gave me a 2nd chance at something better!
Yeah. I said I wasn't going to be fussy with the old 73, but that doe was pretty little haha.
Your syrup is on the way. I think she said to start looking for it Tuesday buddy.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Our buck week i always look for a big rack but as the week goes my expectations dwindle to yeah ill shoot a spike by Saturday! Some years I dont see a buck at all, lots of does though.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey dudes! Looks like everyone is in a better mood....I am with the rain gone.

Jay...shoot those bullets up......I'm gonna run out a thousand in the next month and I'll send ya some more at .431...

Yea Gunny.....(on the Flex Seal).....figure Griff can buy a trailer load of it and as the Rose is "swimming" he can just climb on the roof of the trailer and slid in through a special trap door to get a few more cans to keep him afloat.

With ya Piller......we are "dog sitting" again....my daughter is having "moving day" and she dropped off her two Frenchies....that's all those dogs do is snort and fanny burp.....kinda like me.

Where's Old Savage?....probably sitting in a golf cart out at the golf course with a tall drink and a bevy of Playboy models hanging all over.....

Biggest year EVER at my inlaws....they are getting 12-15 deer a day and they are all from bow hunters.....(well, if you want to call a crossbow a bow). That huge buck I posted last month?.....at 8 this morning he came charging towards the house from the road headed for the front bay window and stopped short about 20 yards....(I was sleeping, mom saw it)
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Halloween. No finer witch.

And here is an antelope hunt. 6mm Rem. 283 yds 1995, year of the Makarrena.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

6mm Remington? That's a cartridge I wished I could have played with.....283 yards is a fine shot from a field position on a cold and windy day.....

Dang....she's pretty but like all pretty girls she is most likely high maintenance...."lets go here.....I want this ....I need to get my nails done....my car is a year old and I want a new one....I need a room just for my shoes.... :D
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I put a 6mm together, Argentine Mauser, Douglas barrel. I color case hardened it. When I dumped it into the quench tank the rear bridge twisted. When I tried to straighten it the bridge cracked. Had to anneal, weld and re heat treat. It shot VERY well. A local rancher fell in love with it and I sold it.

Well 2 hours with both leaf blowers going. Got my quad out, let it run for an hour or so, ran it up & down the driveway to exercise it. Got the plow down for the ranger- trying to get prepped for snow season.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep OS a very pretty witch; whether warts are visible or not! Sixgun, not all pretty girls are "high maintenance!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks Six.
The .430s shot pretty good. Curious to see how .431 would work.

Hey OS,
Well that's hotter than a witches......ummmmm......ahhhhh. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

006, not my experience, maybe some, not Des. ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I disagree......ALL pretty girls are high maintenance.......they only show it to the ones they are married to...remember the song from the sixties..."If You Want To Be Happy For The Rest Of Your Life"

They all get what they deserve after about age 40. :D
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

006, better be careful claiming such vast knowledge. The wife may wonder how you know all this ;-)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here i always thought 2 legs and ovaries = psycho.

No deer!? What? Why? How come?

Today , daylight savings ended, WHY do we still do this? My body clock is set for 515-530 so now im up wide awake at 410-430. Time to move to AZ! :lol:

Gotta go pick up the rest of my haul, 12 & 20 ga hulls by the 55 gal drum and the rest of the presses. Now I have to figure out where I'm going to put all these hulls !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Gone over yesterday a 100 times. If Ida plunked the little doe, Ida never seen the buck anyway. I still think I made the right choice not firing on the buck.
I don't lack confidence in the 44. I shot a big 8 pointer with a 92 src 44 at 75 yards back in 91. However, it had a peep sight and my eyes were a lot better.
Plus, I'm very careful about "sending it" anyway. I'd rather not shoot than wound such an animal.
But what a score it would have been with the 73! It is so fun to carry! But now I want a 4.75" Frontier Six Shooter even more! I wish they'd catalog them.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya Jay- I too am careful about taking a shot, just not worth it. Not fair to the animal. Sure hope you get a crack at that buck !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Me too buddy. Thanks.
Hunting in Maine is tough. That's why there are no hunting shows based here. Deer don't act the same.
I read a thing one time where this big shot hunting magazine writer knew a guy here that had a farm he and his family hunted.
The farmer commented how they had been after this monster buck on the property for a few years.
The writer said, "a few years!? I will come up and get him and do an article on it." The farmer was a little bewildered, but said whatever. The big shot was there for over a week, and not only didn't get the buck, but never saw a deer.
Welcome to Maine MF!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hunted ME 3 times. First time I saw a cow & calf moose, second time I saw a doe& fawn. Third time I saw a buck that one of the other guys shot. 444 Marlin just under the left eyeball made for an easy tracking job!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Pure GOLD !!
20201101_110531.jpg
I grabbed my postal scale, counted out 100, noted the weight . Now I can just count by weight for when I sell hulls.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay....you made the RIGHT move......you let the little one live till it gets big and avoided a most likely wound on the buck. Remember, if you don't have confidence in your shot, you most likely will miss or wound. That's the sign of a mature and ethical hunter. A youngster who has yet to put any notches on his gun will let the lead fly and hope for a hit. We all live and learn....WELL DONE....SON.

Still remember the fall of 1975.....a herd of deer was barreling down the mountain and I was letting 400 grain bullets from a 45-90 dance through the air without a clear target.....9 shots I believe ....then reloaded and shot some more....

You don't need the meat to survive and if you did, the rules are changed.......in your favor.

Oh Lordy......barrels of hulls! You be "da man" in the shotgun world.......funny thing, only in America can we have these claims.

Rain...rain...rain.....-006

Fred.......women have a special anatomical gift but like parts of anything, they wear out......so the smart ones make the most of it while the tolerances are still tight.-----006
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Is that a yellow one I see there in that sea of red???? :P Cover 'em up so the wasps and mud-daubers don't build nests in them!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I got lids for both barrels!!
No its just the way the light is- heres to a sea of RED !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I hope in two days for a Sea Of Red to make some people see red.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

piller wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:15 pmI hope in two days for a Sea Of Red to make some people see red.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:15 pm I hope in two days for a Sea Of Red to make some people see red.
Yep....well said Piller.......this is going to be a historic moment that will be in the history books.......going to be interesting......lock and load as either way the Pelosi is gonna hit the fan........stay home, stay healthy, and stay vigilant.....

May the Good Lord bless President Donald Trump .....and the U.S. Of A.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just for the heck of it i decided to load a single 410 on the new grabber. Turned out beautifully. Ok let's try a 28, it too is perfect BUT!! For some reason the charge bar gets stuck. So I got to tinkering and found some wear, dried up lube, but no soap. Time to RTFM. ok need 3/16" gap at station 2- check. Still no go. Ah-ha! If I take the return spring off the bar works just fine... wt£?? Ok count the coils, same as the 410 press wait that bar is stuck too! What is going on here? Ok gotta step away...

Sister calls, quarantine? What why? Seems a guy that works with my BIL has his mother in the hospital with chicom flu. GREAT- they really can't afford 2 weeks without working...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

i have confidence in your ability to get any machine up and running.

Maybe you can open up part of your house for your friends to quarantine in.....just an idea.....figure, it's just you and the girls and then you have a huge workshop that you can convert for any homeless people.....(if Biden wins, they will make that LAW)

Went over to my daughters to take down this $2,000+ children's play house/swing set/sliding board that the previous owners left. No one in the family wanted it as people buy everything new today. I gathered up a set of sockets, ratchets, vice grips, Mikita tools, sledgehammers, crow bars..etc......after taking off one 17mm lag bolt, I threw the tools in the Jeep and got to work with the sledgehammer and the chainsaw. It's all cedar and I was able to save some nice beams, hardware and the cedar floor. Probably gonna keep the sliding board for a chute down in the basement.---006

Nice cedar floor for a job I have down by the pond.

Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jay I know you are frustrated at not taking the shot buuut part of the experience of using the old stuff is that it is harder than using a 600whizbangsupermagnumdeerassassin with a 1-39 power scope. It will be much more enjoyable WHEN you do get a deer because it was harder. Number two as frustrated as you are now, how upset would you be if you took the shot and wounded the deer for it to go lay up and be in agony?
Anybody see the YouTube video of the trail am with the deer missing most of the tissue from it’s back? Ow Ow Ow. Probably die from infection but ow.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For what it is worth, I agree that you did the right thing. If you had taken the shot and things went bad, you would have felt terrible. That deer deserved to either be killed clean or let go for another day.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys. I don't regret my choice. Not at all.
I try to be very careful with my shots. As Six mentioned, I'm not starving. I have a whole cow, and still some of last years 2 deer in our freezers.
I shot a nice 216lb buck last year. I don't need to shoot a smasher every year. I would feel awful to think I was responsible for wounding a deer and having it suffer or tore apart alive by coyotes.

I won't lie, however. How cool would it have been to shoot a big buck with that old 73?
Maybe it will still happen. If I see a good doe first, I will pop her, however. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey guys...Jay is probably in bed getting ready for another day of hunting.....I never killed a deer with a '73 so I hope he does...my bullets are in the chamber and in each bullet I put in a quarter inch of C-4 with a 50 BMG primer in front of it....

It's midnight and I'm watching a LIVE Trump rally in Florida.....THOUSANDS of people..cheering..chanting "we love you"....this guy is the BESTEST POTUS EVER!----6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Whoops...he's up! Jay has the energy of Trump....2-3 hours of sleep is enough for him.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah I'm up.
I worked tonight. Gonna go home this morning, catch a 2hr power nap, then pick up the old man and head for the hills!
If the weather holds, this will be my last night for 2 weeks. Cody and family are coming next week.

I really hope I get one with your bullets buddy. It's your brass too Haha!
If you quick send me an 8lb jug of Unique and 5 or 6k primers, it'll be even cooler! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:15 am Haha yeah I'm up.
I worked tonight. Gonna go home this morning, catch a 2hr power nap, then pick up the old man and head for the hills!
If the weather holds, this will be my last night for 2 weeks. Cody and family are coming next week.

If you quick send me an 8lb jug of Unique and 5 or 6k primers, it'll be even cooler! :D
Jay...for real......let me repeat myself...if you or anyone here on the gun room post is running low or needs anything, please let me know as I have more stuff than most gunshops..primers..powder...whatever..

6...o...da bro...
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:51 am
OldWin wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:15 am Haha yeah I'm up.

Jay...for real......let me repeat myself...if you or anyone here on the gun room post is running low or needs anything, please let me know as I have more stuff than most gunshops..primers..powder...whatever..

6...o...da bro...
Thank you old buddy. I mean it. I'm in fairly good shape right now. I certainly wouldn't take advantage, but it's nice to know you got my back!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm wide awake at 0400- yeah real time is 0500 !

Today it's blowing and 34, a great day to take windows out of a house! :D 4 more to swap out. Hopefully we can get these done today. 4 days of rain last week has really put us behind. Got 2 bathrooms, new interior doors next. An addition we should have started months ago( county board of health dragging their feet on permits) , 3 other bathrooms... A deck . Man we have lots of work!

OW, do you bother with using scents? Seems as few deer as you have some doe in estrus might help greatly. Or a truck load of corn! :D

I got word of a real monster buck on the hunt club property. One guy had it in bow range but it 'never presented a shot' yeah- that buck knew something was not right! Once the guys hear about this deer they are going to cover the place in stands.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow Gunny! You ARE busy! I'm too lazy for work like that. :D
I've played with scents a little, but haven't shot a deer with them out. Other than using stands, I'm kinda old school. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

This time of year I'd much prefer to be slow, more time to hunt, work on fun shop projects.
I've used scents but can't say that I shot deer because of it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room XLVII

Post by Sixgun »

Scents? Oh yea.....especially back in the early days when I was "catin'". We would fanny burp on the girls and therefore "declare property" by leaving our scent on them.

Scents are for poor hunters......Deer are dumb animals. I've never used scents of any kind nor did I hunt from a tree...I used to kill a deer every year when the success rate was 10%......., although in Jay's territory there's not much of a choice as it's so thick.

Forgot how many deer I've killed with a cigarette in my hand.....and sometimes with an empty beer can or two at my feet.
I studied the land and learned their escape routes.....got in the woods early and let other people push them to me....wham! The .33 Winchester drops another...

Today's deer are the same but have lost their fear of humans. I see them out back and we stare at each other and as long as the distance is 50 yards they don't move. Of course in Jay Land or upstate I'm sure they are still "wild".-----6.......006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Just the opposite here. Because of coyotes and hunters being more careful, the dumb ones are all dead.
Used to be if you jumped a deer you just sat still and he would circle to see what you were.
No more! Bam! There gone.
When I was a kid, I remember my dad lighting a cigarette and sticking it in the crotch of a limb, then circling and you'd catch them down wind of the cigarette. Them days are over.
NOT a good day to be in a tree dudes! Windy and snow squalin' to beat the band.
Check in later. Gotta pay attention.

OW out.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

SUCCESS!! we decided against doing windows today- wind would have been blowing directly into the holes we were going to open up. Had a tree down in the guys driveway we had to cut up to get out- ITS BLOWING HARD!
On the way home in the middle of town is a nice buck running right down the middle of the road looking for a doe.
Only reason I mentioned scents is because of the lack of deer in ME. Figure every little bit helps fill the freezer!

Ok back to SUCCESS!! I got the presses figured out!!
20201102_144055.jpg
Loaded a box of 410s &28s, 2 boxes of 20s.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Nice crimps on those babies...you look like you know what your doing......

Go ahead....respond.....anyone...respond.......old Savage. ....go! respond with the soft stuff......---006
Model A Uzi’s