The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

I HATE this spell check thing.....I always was a pretty good speller and this spell check on this iPad does not recognize some words and puts something else in there. I have to look at the keyboard to see what I'm typing so sometimes stupid words appear and I don't proof read it.....try to spell "swaged" or the abbreviation for Remington...comes out like this ....R.E.M.

Wow...if that's all I can whine about I'm doing OK.....having trouble leaving the house....go...go...go.....---Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ha.....because I decided to write something stupid about iPad spell check I was rewarded with wining page 93 plus I get to keep the rifle that Tom was going to get. :D wait till Sixgun hears about this!!!!

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Fred a little of your magic could make this situation much better. I should be the rightful winner of page 93 and that rifle Jack keeps teasing me with. I wish I could Jack.You don’t know how much I wish I could
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:58 pm I got that 1895 I sold Jays son at a shootfest....from Cyrus? I think it was Cyrus....you remember CAS?
Was it a 35 Winchester? Was it Sam maybe? I remember him having at least one with him... otherwise I just remember you loading ammo with a hammer and no dies.

After the last get together at Wicen's , Sam offered to sell me his TLA #5 for $1200
At the time $1200 was a lot more money to me than it is today, and TLA's were going for $1600 on Gunbroker. I told him he should sell it there instead. And I kick myself every time I see one and what they're going for now. :shock:
Slow is just slow.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok NOW check your email- it didnt send( about as much signal where I was as basement biden has brains)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

FW, state your case but when 6 finds out the Jaybird won the cch 93 something is going to hit the fan ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

OS all I got is I wanted to win that rifle. Sniffle sniffle
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is a beauty!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

She looks like Vanna White......

Tommy Gun....you CAN win it......just bring the winning tickets over here. Each ticket will have a picture of Benjamin Franklin on it.

Yea CAS...It was the 35....you have a GREAT memory.......yep, I had a bunch of Krag brass opened up to 35 caliber...primed, a jar of 5744, a scale....some bullets of 35 caliber and a hammer for tapping the bullets in the cases......

Oh poop....I'm hypocritical.......went to Harbor Freight where Chinese junk rules......place had my head spinning with the prices.

Bet you can't do that in Jersey! Ya know those 6"x48" sanding belts that cost 10-12 bucks a piece ......$14 for a 5 pack.....cut off wheels for $6 a piece at Home Depot? $8 for a five pack....heavy duty 12 ga extension cords for $30?...18

Model A Uzi’s
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I stopped over Sixgun's today and he asked me if I could see something as his eye sight is rapidly getting poor......can you see it? I tell ya, ole sixgun is falling apart..blind as a bat with the hearing of a rock.

150 yds zoomed in. Salt block behind the tree

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now is the time of year for salt licks, helps doe's with milk production and bucks to grow antlers. Are you trying to keep meat on hand for possible future needs?

Did that email get through?

Money evening I'm standing at the kitchen sink watching the bird feeder and CLUNK my low back goes out. Yesterday I suffered all day, even my left hip felt like it was going to dislocate! Tried my inversion table last night- couldn't get any relief. This morning I feel pretty good...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:28 am Now is the time of year for salt licks, helps doe's with milk production and bucks to grow antlers. Are you trying to keep meat on hand for possible future needs?

Money evening I'm standing at the kitchen sink watching the bird feeder and CLUNK my low back goes out. Yesterday I suffered all day, even my left hip felt like it was going to dislocate! Tried my inversion table last night- couldn't get any relief. This morning I feel pretty good...
Last week my lower back decided it didn't like me anymore, I rubbed in some Comfrey oil and took a couple of Aspirins next day back to chopping firewood.. :wink:
IMG_20200516_152429.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks to modernization, and of course, MANY thanks to John Deere and Eli Whitney, BLM has not mattered for quite some time.

If you boys think the division in this country was at a high level last year, it's way out of control now. I've noticed people are openly talking racism and hate.......I don't remember this growing up....there were always the few azzholes but now even usually timid/inverted individuals are speaking their minds. It's a shame for the ones who are just trying to get through life without this BS.....I had a nice talk with a black kid (maybe 25) working at Harbor Freight yesterday. He even told me, "don't lump me in with those people." We shook hands and told him to not to let the propaganda engulf him and to "carry on".

Can't believe you youngsters with back issues......I'm getting ready to hook the trailer up to the mighty Kubota and fill it with at least 2-3000 pounds of cut wood, each piece weighing 60-150 pounds. I'm an old m.f. at near 66 and can work as good as I did at 30, just not as fast. It's all hereditary, Italians for centuries did back breaking work so for me that means my Italian genes keep my back in shape and my German genes gives me the smarts to do it right.

It's oooofffffffffff I go to have fun and to hell with the whiners from other posts!------Jay Bird incognito Sixgun

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Incognito- I always thought that was a city in Laos!

My back issues stem from a car accident years ago!

Figured you would enjoy the JDeere.

Holy cow my elderberry bushes are loaded with flowers this year- 3 plants and at least 85 flowers!

Weekend looks WET! Dont think I'm going to the club.

Oh yeah I gotta shop recoil pads..
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:07 am
GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:28 am Now is the time of year for salt licks, helps doe's with milk production and bucks to grow antlers. Are you trying to keep meat on hand for possible future needs?

Last week my lower back decided it didn't like me anymore, I rubbed in some Comfrey oil and took a couple of Aspirins next day back to chopping firewood.. :wink:
IMG_20200516_152429.jpg
i had a old school sized trampoline, dangerous as heck with no sides and pads or that's what they say in todays standards, didn't know what to do with it. Well I took 1/2 and faced the legs in and stuck it back together into a big 1/2 circle, set it on a couple of railroad ties, and I bet she's holding 3-4 cords. However chainsaw and a splitter, that swinging the axe is a lot like work.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm with you David- hydraulics is the wave of the future! Of course the type of wood means a lot too! Green hickory easy, green oak not so much !

Hey how does our low wall shoot ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:48 pm I'm with you David- hydraulics is the wave of the future! Of course the type of wood means a lot too! Green hickory easy, green oak not so much !

Hey how does our low wall shoot ?
It made it to the FFL, just the safest way yesterday.
My daughter is getting married this weekend, it's just going to have to wait till next week or them. They are a 1/2 hardware store and a bit goofy but the Governor here did a good job of closing probably 1/2 (or more) of the FFL's with new expensive requirements, not many home FFL's to be found.

I have whatever tree that needed cut down and my friends (mothers) house, easy and burns in the pit, plenty more where that came from.

However... At my range there's Osage-orange tree's they are a b... and the wood burns so freaking hot.
Had a cheap steel fire pit at the range I picked up along the street, it melted it into a pile of rubble.
I've been using medicine bottles filled with tannerite, a hand wood drill matching the bottle diameter and I leave just the cap out,
Target practice and tree clearing in one shot ;)

I brought 2 friends there couple weeks ago, 8 new rifles, scopes, never shot Buying frenzy is definitely going on around here...
One was a 338 Lapua, what a beast! Recoils not bad (rifle weighs 1/2 ton) but need ear plugs and headset!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Osage orange is s prized bow material.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

For 32 years I split 4 cords of wood by hand....wedges and a sledge hammer....mostly white oak, red oak, hickory, Norway maple, popular, (easy) silver maple, (easy), and gum....with gum you bury the wedge and have to have a larger wedge to release the smaller wedge. In 2014 I bought my first splitter.......I always considered splitting wood forced exercise during the winter months. I still split at least a cord by hand throughout the year.

David.....The gunshop where the Low Wall is called me today telling me it's in fine condition. They wanted my FFL. :D in lieu of that I e mailed them a copy of my drivers license .....threw in my CCW also. They said that was fine.-----6
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jay Bird..your full of it. I caught you on the back patio trying to steal a piece of chocolate donut. Baaaaddd bird.......

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I knew Jaybird would be in trouble if Sixgun caught him creeping round his back door. ;-)

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A tall old Larch tree came down in a recent gale and my landlord said I could have it. Only problem with Larch is it burns too quick, so I will mix in some Ash wood and Oak.
IMG_20200516_152533.jpg
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There!
Rolled outta work this morning and ain't gotta go back for three weeks.
Taking off in the morning for the land of the midnight sun. Haven't seen the son and his family in a year. Have a new granddaughter to meet too.

Now.....I know all you guys are my buds and all....but just want to mention (especially for you, Six. :D ).
The old man and 2 sons are on guard duty here. Not to mention Zoey the superdog and Maggie the attack yapper. Not to mention Hector our mountain lion'ish cat and Stinky, our....... other cat. :D
Oh, and in case any of you are wondering, I'm taking my buffalo coat. I hear the boy has a sweet 1895 TD. :D

I will keep stopping by as time allows.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Enjoy the trip bud.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wow.....you get around!....round..round...get around..i get around...dah..dah........dah.dah.

Ok Mr Jay......can you swing down and pick me up? I'll ride with the luggage and guns.

Those boys in the house.......when the cats away, da mice will play......probably be a big party every night.....all kinds of strangers down in the gun room dry firing everything, spilling drinks on the guns, cigarette butts on the rug.....used condoms behind the door.....blm meetings..

Have a good time bro.........say hi to the family ...your gonna like that '95....in my view the smoothest levergun ever made.......----6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 am A tall old Larch tree came down in a recent gale and my landlord said I could have it. Only problem with Larch is it burns too quick, so I will mix in some Ash wood and Oak?
Larch tree? That's a new one on me....john.....on fast burnIng wood I split it larger.....heated the house one time for three straight years with popular.....

Larch tree...even sounds funny.....
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

This is what trees look like out in the Oklahoma Panhandle. I am not sure what species it happens to be.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 am This is what trees look like out in the Oklahoma Panhandle. I am not sure what species it happens to be.
Thats a Hanging Tree…. :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:29 am
piller wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 am This is what trees look like out in the Oklahoma Panhandle. I am not sure what species it happens to be.
Thats a Hanging Tree…. :lol:
Well, it is in "No Man's Land!" Notice all the green? That is a good year bach where I was born.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

So few trees that Keebler Elves even have to have their own cemetary.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Actually, it is the old cemetery from Nabisco Township in Beaver County, Oklahoma.
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 am
gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:49 am A tall old Larch tree came down in a recent gale and my landlord said I could have it. Only problem with Larch is it burns too quick, so I will mix in some Ash wood and Oak?
Larch tree? That's a new one on me....john.....on fast burnIng wood I split it larger.....heated the house one time for three straight years with popular.....

My place is so small I only have a little wood burning stove, so I can't cut firewood any bigger but when I have it well stoked up in winter I have to sit outside.... :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Have a good trip Jay!! Bring us all a souvenirs!! I'll take a grizzly cub ! :lol:

I couldn't get the site to work this morning, not on the iPad, phone.

Rain, sun , rain , cloudy, rain- so much for doing siding today.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:20 am

Up here they call Larch "Hackmatack"
They tried planting them to make paper but it don't work. The fibers are too stringy.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. I will try and tune in every day.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Stay warm.
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WOOHOO! The dinner bell's ringing, (flank steak and rice pilaf):
DSCN1264.JPG
Unlike those retired union workers, I don't have fancy patio furniture: :P :P
DSCN1265.JPG
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Lots of action going on I see.......I spent the better part of the day in the garage....went to Advance Auto and bought a wheel speed sensor for moms Jeep and while I was there's I spent another $16,000 on Armorall, wax, Back to Black trim treatment....

Putting in a speed sensor is a 20 minute job...when everything goes right....little tight back there so I took off the wheel. Then the power clip wire decided it wanted to be a part of the sensor......then the sway bar decided to be in the way so I had the disconnect that.......then after bolting on the new sensor the wire clip wouldn't go on and there was no room to experiment so I had to take it out......finally got it all in and put the sway bar back on.....tested...fine...light went out and no brake grabbing....put away 173 tools and what was supposed to be a 20 minute job with three tools took up my day.

Come in, take a shower and take the dog out back for a walk...come in and I see the blm garbage on TV.....damm near threw my fist through the tv.

Ok, I feel better...Griff is eating large and Jay be on the road...have a safe and fun one buddy....after you get done playing with Cody's '95 you will hit me up for one in 30-40..I got two, exact same condition......I'll cut ya a smoking deal :D I'm keeping two, one in 30-40 and a like new takedown in '06.

HEY! ONE BY ONE THE COPS ARE ARRESTING CRIMINALS THAT DID BAD THINGS DURING THE RIOTS! Ha! They must have been kicking back and thinking they got away with it all......busted this cat 😺who was blowing up ATM's in Philly.

Piller.....that's big sky country for sure...that's one sorry azz looking tree. :D 😱😪
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Are we there yet?

Yeah Six things like a simple wheel sensor usually turn into long projects, why? Because these engineers design this stuff to be junk. My Rubicon started throwing a code, had the code read, gas cap so I go buy a gas cap. Nope light come back on. Put the old one back on and still throwing the code. Finally put it up on a lift and find the wires for the fuel system have pulled out of the plug. 2 24 ga wires just loose under the body. Now this is an off road vehicle but yet those wires just swinging in the breeze, the over grown field I had been driving through pulled those wires loose- pizz poor ...

Are we there yet?

Looks tasty Griff! No need for fancy furniture if the food is good!

Are we there yet?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Pappa Jayster......is we there yet? Oh papppppaaa...I have to poopie.....let's stop for ice cream.......what's that funny engine sound?...........why is the policeman tailgating us with his lights on? .....now the siren is on........the sign says,"bridge out".....I need change for the toll.........."here, get rid of this quick, put it in yor bra.......just chuck it out the window as soon as we go around this bend.........what? again?!!?? just use the gatorade bottle......I can't, I need a milk jug........

Something happens to a man as he ages......for me anymore I'm happy staying at home......

Enjoy yourself Jay and Kristy....and family........don't let old age creep up on ya like it did me and make yourself a hermit.

Ok...Gunny..what's going on??? I see my President has a 20 block inclusion zone for the rally tomorrow.....a MILLION applicants! ....Trump writes, "anarchists, looters, rioters, and lowlifes need not apply" ..or words to that effect......I love this guy.....MY PRESIDENT, President Trump is the BEST!!!!'
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Where's CAS?......Hey CAS...remember the last shootfest we were at...at Franks place upstate?.....the place where someone shot up the outbuildings? . yea....11 years.....

Should have kept that Remington 14 and 1/2 in 38-40....that gun shot like a scoped bolt action. ....soon as I got home from buying it off of Matt I took off the recoil pad and put on an original hard rubber buttplate...stock wasn't cut.......6

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That was good Gunny.......hard to believe there's so much corruption at the top level but Trumps election and what they are doing to him points it all out........I'd give all of my Colts, the ones Jay didn't get...to see Hillary's face when she found out DONALD J. TRUMP WAS THE PRESIDENT and not her. I truly hope her and bill meet their end with misery with prolonged suffering. Evil is putting their character mildly.
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

So Pennsylvania Governor Dick Wolf, err Tom Wolf decided yesterday that all Pa state employees needed a new annual state paid holiday. Juneteenth is a celebration of the day in 1865 that Texas announced all former slaves are now free men. So we will now be getting June 19th off every year(guess he will take away some other holiday probably July 4th to make up for it). Anyway to honor and reflect on this solemn day I turned several 5gallon buckets of clip on wheel weights into 227 pounds of ingots. Then because Governor Wolf is sooooo 2nd amendment I spent several hours reloading 218 Bee, 45/70, and a few more 50-100-450. I appreciate all you Pa taxpayers for giving me the opportunity to use this time to reflect.🙄
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good deal Tom, why to make use of a paid holiday! Nice of you to load Bee ammo for ME!

The fly shop gave my name to a customer, since I make nets I can fix nets- right? Well customer drops off his net yesterday with the new net bag he ordered. Figured great I can get this done in an hour or so...NOT! Th bag he got is way too big, I spent more than an hour trying to find a bag that will fit his frame. Guess what it doesn't exist! So now I gotta try and figure this out...

SHUT UP Juan ! I just can't stand that man, why does Fox keep him on the payroll!?

Well today I have to got figure out a gate or gates for the fishing property, go get my license plates, mow, who knows what else?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Morning guys. I guess. I don't know what time it is. Got to Anchorage. Just have to make the hop to Kodiak today.
I'm telling you, I hated air travel before. Now it's unbearable. What a complete shyteshow!
When you land in Anchorage, you have to show proof of a negative test (within the last 72hrs) or be tested at the airport. You can't leave the airport until you do. Everyone funnels into this line that is complete bedlam. It all is done from this website you have to access on your phone. I struggled, so I can't imagine elderly people or people who didn't know about it.
We just barely got our test results emailed to us from our doctor in time because the state does the tests.
Looks like Janet Mills is running Alaska too.
And the icing on the cake is we found out we will have to do it again before leaving. WT actual F??!!!

On top of this, a guy told me to go into "settings", then "google settings" on my phone. Looky there! There is a "Covid19 tracer" that just appeared on everyone's phones last week.
What we are witnessing is the death of a nation. Plain and simple.
I love Trump too. But it goes so far beyond that that it doesn't even matter. At best, he has 4 more years. Then what?
Sorry to be a downer guys. What I have observed on this trip gives me no hope.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

NO Jay, Your not being a downer...your telling it like it is......when I started flying it was easy.....no TSA lines of any sort....before my time, you could carry guns on board and put them in the cockpit....it gets worse each year.....sad to say, I told my son I'm not flying anymore.......too much aggravation.....unless of course your a politician and bypass the TSA lines and ride 1st class. Even the seats are too cramped...I'm an average sized guy and three hours is too much.

With all the bs talked about don't forget why your there....did you bring the long coat for long guns? Coming home with a '95?

Gunny.....for many years I used to fix other people's guns..still do...but I have to like you and then I do it for nothing. Well, I did it for nothing before and no one ever threw a twenty at me so I stopped it all.....so your fixing a net? Just use plastic wire ties! :D

What's all this stupid nonesense, Juneteenth? OK, it's fine to make it a holiday but let's just observe it, like D-Day or Columbus Day. If we keep adding holidays the system will get like me, and no one works. I tell ya, it ain't easy doing what you want to do with three checks coming in every month. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lots of action around here, we'll see how that plays out.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

What's going on OS? You ok?

Well! Nice breakfast and a shower. I feel pretty much human now. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Where's what I've been up to the past week! Changing all 6 shocks on The Black Rose! With my son doing the heavy lifting, of course. Experience and judgement needs to spend supervising... not doing the actual work! All to save the $200 the local truck stop wanted to do the work... with me providing the shocks!

The 1st and really the major problem is getting the old shocks off. There isn't enough room between the mounting bracket and the sway arm to get box end wrench, let along a socket on the bottom nut! So, being careful to not cut the bracket, you have to cut the threaded shock shank off below the bracket (where its gussets are)... so the 3" die grinder is essential. In the 95ºF heat, and humidity I think that we got that done the 1st day.

I've cut away the 5th wheel mounting plate so I can get a socket on the top mounting nut, so that's not a problem. But, since the last idiot that put my shocks on didn't tighten the bottom nuts enough, the shocks moved and slowly at away at the mounting hole, egging it out. So, the 2nd problem was getting the hole welded back up so it was round. That entailed taking the fenders off to make getting at the brackets easier! Welding and then grinding the lower brackets took another day, Both of us hate welding overhead... especially where you're laying on your back, and trying to see up to the bracket from the side!

As you can see, there isn't enough room to get a socket or box end wrench between the bottom of the shock mounting shank and the bracket. And, once you get the upper washer, bushing, lower bushing and washer in place, the nut can only get about 1 full turn on the nut before you're starting to fight the bushing tension. And the specs for the shocks state you need 10 threads showing below the properly tightened nut! So, using a strap wrench on the lower shock body and open end wrench, you get about ¼ turn of the nut before you have remove the wrench and reposition it. And it all has to be done from the inside of the frame! The welding and grinding took another two days... one to do the work, one to recover from the heat!!! :twisted:

Putting the bottom mounting nuts took another day, the top mounting nuts took about the last 10 minutes of that day!
DSCN1271.JPG
DSCN1270.JPG
Repairing a crack in one fender mounting bracket took another day... with a second for painting and letting it dry. While that was happening, I replaced the front shocks, which were simple in comparison. Simply new bushings and shocks... mounted on studs on the frame and spring mounting plates.

Finally, this morning, we put the fenders back in place and the back section of the side skirts. Two of the mounts for those were rusted... and Kenworth no longer sells the plate with its welded on nut, but you have to buy the plate, w/nut and the rubber bushing for $66.50 each! So, a piece of 1/8" plate, a flanged nut, a little welding, and all it beautiful again! Now it's back to work I go!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!