The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Sixgun »

You want to hear something funny? Joe Biden was in "da hood" today, Chester, Pa...about 8 miles down the road.......he was talking on a street corner telling people he was running against "George". (Bush)....with about 16 people in attendance.....

Just got done watching "Apocalypse Now" for the 11 th time.....

Hey! I finally win one! ....and...it's post 6500.... :D ---006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You're welcome. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I could swear that I posted the other morning and it was a new page...

Who'd a thunk it? 6500 posts, 131 pages AND a new Supreme Court Justice!?

Well I sure hope we work today. If we don't work ive got a truck full of supplies to unload !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I take a day off from the thread and you guys talk about all the cool spots. Dysart’s in Hermon, boy did they have a good boiled dinner. I used to fuel up there on Sundays as I was headed out for the week. Stopped many a time on the way home also as the first Mrs fordwannabe worked nights and I could get a meal before I got home and had barn chores to do.
Lititz Pa about 20 minutes down the road. Historic little town.
My vertigo is gone! Ear infection is cleared up and to make up for my evil ways I went out to the shed and turned 25-30 pounds of lead alloy ingots into littler lead alloy things. Some in a .311 diameter, some in a .360 diameter, some in a 432 diameter, and some in a .460 diameter. 🤗
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ah yes! Making magical talismans from precious metals. Those talismans magically cause holes to appear in things which they are pointed at. Many times there is a loud noise to accompany their magical journey.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!
However in this case some of these talismans will provide the hole without much noise associated specifically some of the.360 and .460 talismans.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:06 am Ah yes! Making magical talismans from precious metals. Those talismans magically cause holes to appear in things which they are pointed at. Many times there is a loud noise to accompany their magical journey.
Yes they do......they caused something like 15 of those holes to appear in some guy in Philly who just can't understand commands....that cat went down in a torrent of lead.....buy those cops a cigar!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AttorneyCrum ... 3070337026

There's going to be action over this...............30 miles away and I can smell it burning........

Look at these animals.....free sneaker night......Business owners should get smart and move out of the city.

https://6abc.com/30-police-officers-inj ... y/7376268/
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:38 am YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!
However in this case some of these talismans will provide the hole without much noise associated specifically some of the.360 and .460 talismans.
Yes, I know. That is why I said it the way I did. There are some which work their magic with little noise and little fuss. Many times, yes there is noise. Not always. :D
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Arrgghh! Yesterday was 1st day back to work for me... got 4 days for a hair over 2,000 miles. By the time I reach Amarillo, it's snowing, defroster can't keep windshield clear of ice! The last 60 miles were done with about a ½" sliver of visibility! Yep, one of the water valves is still shut off from the summer A/C season! Buddy calls, asks how I'm going up to WA? Why across NM to SW CO and thru UT of course! Tells me I might want to rethink that plan... supposed to snow all across I-40 in NM today.

I confirm... but it's snowing all over the panhandles of TX & OK! Hmmm... 120 miles of snow driving vs 400? I'm pretty sure OK's highway 0department's official motto is "What God bringth, let God taketh." ~120 miles & 3-½ hours later I'm in CO on dry roads! Let's hope WY winds play nice tomorrow!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Did you go up 83? If you passed Pancake City, you went by it for the first time in 125 years that no member of my family lives there. Even Aunty Em, Dorothy, and Toto have left.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Got a phone call yesterday from the neighbors son( the widow I helped out) . She passed yesterday morning. So Saturday is the viewing and funeral service.

Does anyone know if PB is good in small cases? Herco? Got about a pound of each on hand.

Joy, 2-3" of rain on the way Friday!

Coffee!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Condolences for your neighbor's family & friends.

I've never used Herco, but used a lot of PB in my wife's 38Spl 158 grain cowboy loads. I don't recall my charge, but I remember it as very clean burning. I haven't as yet, but I'd like to try it in the 38S&W for both my derringer & pocket pistol, but with a lighter bullet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry Gunny. I know you liked her.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

When someone you even remotely care about dies and you know it's coming, it's too soon....for people like Pelosi you wish it was last year. My bud was cremated with no immediate plans for services.......so I guess that's your life.....you get thrown in an oven like a pizza, get crumbled up, get put in a 12" sq. plastic lined cardboard box and then the vultures come in for your life's sweat with everyone pretending they liked you but in reality the only thing they want is something you had that betters their life.

The only good thing our Governor is doing is that he ain't playing around with these animals in Philly.....he's sending the guard in....

I saw a guy last night on TV with a washing machine on a hand truck walking it right past the cameras..... 99% of the looters were black......I do feel sorry for the good blacks who don't participate in such shenanigans and other lawless behavior.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh, HERCO....Love it! I buy it by the 8 pounder......in fact, I pretty much use it where I used to use Unique. It burns ever so slightly slower that Unique. The chemical make up is different than Unique as Unique is the same chemical make up as Bullseye but with a slower burn rate coating on it........look here, I'm no scientist so for lack of a better word or words, I prefer Herco over Unique as it's more stable and less dangerous than Unique..........(I don't know why but for some strange reason, im getting safer in my old age)

Let's pretend your loading for the 44 Spl/mag....and 7.5 grains of Unique makes for a great mid range load with easy recoil....you can duplicate it by using 8 to 8.5 of Herco....

Ken Waters LOVED Herco and if Kenny boy liked it, so do's I's.----6

Lots of loads for it in the older Lyman manuals
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry about about your neighbor Gunny.
Unfortunately, Six is right. I had a retired school teacher that lived beside me. Her husband passed 30 years ago and her kids all lived in CA. She was a wonderful lady and they never bothered with her so she was quite lonely. I used to help her out and visit. She did incredibly well and was well in her 90s.
She had an old AMC that she drove to church. I kept it up and going for her. A year before she died, the kid convinced her to buy a new car. Soon as she died they swooped in and cleaned her out. The wife and I wanted to buy the house but wanted to be respectful and waited a few days. I went to see the thing and he said "Oh, it's all sold, we're outta her tomorrow".
Can't imagine treating my own mother like that. I didn't really hide my disdain. I miss the old gal.

I've never used Herco. Don't see it much around here. I still worship the God Unique.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I look out for my whole neighborhood, as I drive by I look, if something is off ill let that neighbor know. This lady that passed thought of me as another son. Being so close sure saved her son a 2 hour trip, I've been thanked and thanked again for all I did. I did it because someone HAD TO. Now he has asked me to continue with looking after the place. Ill certainly do that.

Need to do some research & test loads for these powders. Also got a can of METEOR black powder- never saw that before.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

How do you approach a load of Herco in your .44 Special? Unique up on it.
D. Brian Casady
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

OH PILLER! That is BAD. I chuckled but really? Haha
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, I got most everything ready for Saturday morning (opening day).
Hope I can get something this season with the old 44. If I'd of had more time I probably would have changed the front sight as it shoots fairly high at the range I will be using it. It's not unmanageable though, so hopefully won't be an issue.
Last deer I shot with the 44-40 was in 1994. Was also the last doe I shot. It was with a 92 src, and as such, had a little more juice behind it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's as bad as why couldn't the bicycle stand on its own? Because it was two tired.

Make sure you keep an eye on the weather OW, supposed to get COLD here so ya might want an extra pair of socks handy :D

Well it looks like a 4 day weekend , rain today, rain tomorrow. We got 2 windows replaced yesterday. I was up & down the stairs all day yesterday- knees are protesting this morning. We have 4 more to replace.

Congrats to ACB! May she continue to be a level headed justice.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yeah Gunny no work for you next couple of days but how are your boat building skills?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I'm on top of the 3rd highest point in the county, a few days of rain I'm not too concerned about but I think I can get something cobbled together that will float!

Pulled out both pellet stoves this morning, my plan worked to perfection! I ran a couple small fires when I started seeing stink bugs gathering. Sure enough my fires smoked/cooked those in the stainless flues, pull the stove out and dead ones pouring out instead of crawling away!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea.....raining like crazy here......cold 54 degrees.....you bet we're burning.......

Pulled the home made "water level raiser" from the pond and dropped the water level and this morning it's at near "spillway level".

The last living thing those sub human animals from Philly could do would be to come out this way......more rednecks around here than I thought....pick up trucks with 12" lift kits on em cruising up and down the road with Trump signs waving. Can't beleive it, these people are busting into any store they want ...even a "5 BELOW" which is a store a step up from the dollar store.....---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

46 with rain here, the girls don't even want to go out!

Just spent the past couple hours sorting 410s. 4 containers (8# cardboard powder kegs) each full, I might have tossed 1/2 a kegs worth. If the crimp was split it went. As I'm sorting the darned cave crickets are bouncing around- had to get my Bug-a-salt warmed up on safari, some of them took 3 shots to anchor!! :lol:
Then I sorted wads, got a fair number of 410s, bunch of 28 & 12s. Guess that guy didn't shoot 20 that much.

Think I'm going to start a fire!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Bug-A-Salt is my favotite assault rifle. It takes flies down easily.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Clear blue sky here two days,first time two months. 78° going back to the 80s. Chili burger Tues, chili dog Wed for dinner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cave crickets? What are they? Slang term?

For living out in the semi-sticks we get very little bug infestation......about the only pest I consider more than an annoyance are those big wolf spiders...Lately with the colder weather I see them sitting by the door, outside, just waiting for the chance to run in. They don't bother us but I just don't like big spiders......shot of carb cleaner shrivels them up.

Rain.....loaded up 20 rounds of the extremely mighty .378 Weatherby for my bud along with some gunsmithing on his two black powder in lines.....he will be happy and I'll stay warm this winter....probably 12 cords of wood..

Oh GUUUNNNNYYYYYYYY!!!!!!......
Ya know that thing-a-ma-jig that fits around the blade on a table saw?.....mine broke, probably from pulling it in and out 12,000 times to change blades.....this saw dates from the 80's and is very powerful...runs on 220....

I made one from oak today and it fits better than the factory metal one....saves me from researching and buying..blah..blah..ya think it's OK?...never saw one made from wood.---006

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred...i like that kind of food but I'm guessing the sodium is high.......looks like you will be "singing the tunes later". If you can, try recording it to the tune of the Village People doing "YMCA".---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

006, you are correct, high sodium. Here is tonight's fare an d Carmello got his share.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred...you can keep the meat......me and mom want the dog.....what kind of a dog is that? Mom is stumped......
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Snowing a little here. Has been doing it a little either morning or night for the last 3 days. Not amounting to anything luckily.
Had a nice pile of deer steak for supper.

Nice job on the table saw Six. Looks cool.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Jay...snow?..even having temps that can bring snow depresses me.. 48 at the time of sleepy night nights.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A Morky

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, nothing wrong with a wooden throat plate. I make my own as well. After I fit it to the table saw I slide the fence over top close to the blade then I turn it on and slowly plunge the blade up through( the fence holds it down). This give you ZERO clearance to the blade- small rips can't fall down inside. As long as it stays in place you are golden.

Brr still raining here, looks like it's going to rain most of the day again.

Cave crickets are different than the black field crickets. These have much longer legs, they are fast too. They like darkness, crawl spaces, underside of stuff. Very sporting targets for the Bug-a-salt!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No work today. Renewed my drivers license online. What to do...
Well I'm going to set up the old welding table I 'borrowed ' from high school for these MEC Grabber presses. Ill drill &tap for 1/4-20 bolts so all I need to do is turn out the bolts and swap from 410 to 28 to 20. Although I may not keep the 20. However I might load a thousand 20s just to have on hand.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Six told me to tell you guys he's on a Buddhist Sabbatical.

Throat plate? Wow..now I can talk professional like you. OK, thank you for the info on the throat plate. See? Guys like you are experienced and after getting whacked with the 8 x 8 I was concerned a bit. Your way does seem a little dangerous as the blade spins c.w.and anything wedging in there from below can throw the "throat plate" in your face.

Ok, fit the throat plate in....slide the fence over and slowly raise the blade.

I kinda like the clearance on either side for letting 1/8" stuff go below.....you know what can happen when a piece of wood rides up higher than it should and catches the blade tip...WHACK! 100 miles an hour...

I just traced it out and cut away....

Yea...another gloomy day.....my daughter just popped in and got me outta bed...seems she needs some help over at the new house......----JB
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

FRED.....no lie...my wife said it as to Morky but I disagreed and didn't want to make a Pelosi out of myself or my wife.....dang! I's be's stupidio......(mix of Ebonics and Italian)---JB
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Zero clearance is the SAFER technique. It doesn't allow small pieces to fall down into the saw. What is even safer yet is DO NOT CUT THIN PIECES BETWEEN THE BLADE AND FENCE!! Recipe for disaster...

Come to find out the Grabber press has 2 different 'foot prints' so not knowing what the 410& 28 footprint is I drilled 6 holes to cover the whole spectrum.

Rain has changed to snow!

I got to meet the neighbors new Corgi-Poo last night. What a cute puppy!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Didn't know that Gunny...THANK YOU.....I did know about small pieces between the blade and the fence...my fence is even a half degree off or so...good enough for most work...big deal if I'm off a 16th after 3 feet...

You know about the 8 x 8 don't you?

I like drilling holes. ......don't know what it is...if you want some holes drilled for your Grabber, let me know....I can do aerosol paint cans too!

I usually put my presses, sizer/lube, etc on 1/2" aluminum block or 2" oak blocks then bolt it all down on the bench.

Ahhh.....gotta get rolling here.....---JB
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

This is a RarIsh terrier on my lap. Her name is Tamale.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Six, I just noticed......
Did making the "throat plate" (ooohhhh, high falutin' words) make your blood pressure go up?
Ain't that a BP takin' doohickey?
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:24 am Hey Six, I just noticed......
Did making the "throat plate" (ooohhhh, high falutin' words) make your blood pressure go up?
Ain't that a BP takin' doohickey?
Your a nosey old bast&@$! :D Yes, I take my BP everyday, sometimes several times a day....usually around 125/70....I use it as a tool to see what makes my BP go up or down..... For real, if I feel aggravated after getting off the phone I'll test it and if it's high I drop that person like a hot potato. I'll test it after doing strenuous work or after certain medications or foods....IT TELLS A LOT.....I'm 66 and can outwork most 20 year olds....maybe not as fast but for sure as long....(if I want to :D )

I'm not afraid of dying but I want to be healthy up to that point.

Just got back from my daughters new house down the road.....I told her to shut off the upstairs and live on the ground floor....I can put TWO of my houses on the ground floor....she laughed...people today all think they are DuPonts....well, it ain't my money....I'd rather have a small house on a lot of land though she does have two acres......the thought of keeping something that big clean and maintaining gives me the willies.....

Piller...your dog is a HOT TAMALE! I can't ever seeing myself without a dog.....and.....BEWARE of people who don't have time for dogs.....(ooooooooo...I don't want the mess......ooooooo they leave hair all over......ooooooo..I can't party and do things with my friends.......oooooooo, what will people think if I have a dog in the house......
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Fred, I'm jealous.... I just had a salad last nite... $27.00 for an 8oz New York strip... truck stops are starting to think their high falutin'... when in fact they're just mediocre fast food joints...

JayBird, hope you don't think less of me cause I don't have a dog... I just believe one shouldn't coop up a dog inside the cab of a truck all day, then again all nite with driver works then sleeps.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha no issue buddy. You're smart. My old man has the same one. That's how I knew. He checks his all the time too.

Hey Griff!
I ain't forgot you buddy. I have the syrup and will get it out to you Monday at the latest.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm with ya, if you are not a dog person there is something WRONG with you mentally not to mention your psyche!!
If you tell me you are a cat person well thats the end of our conversation! :D

Season opens tomorrow in ME?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

First day of regular firearms season. It's my Christmas!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good luck! Hope that ol 73 gets to clear its throat!! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you buddy. I'd like to plunk one with the old gal. I wonder when when the last time was it made meat.
I've had it at least 25 years without hunting with it.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff,
There are variations to every example....YOU are exonerated.......I've known plenty of over the road truckers who brought their dogs with them and I wondered to myself that it could not be easy on the DOG.

GUNNY......how's this? Man! That was easy! Couldn't believe I spent a good half hour rasping out the slot on the other one after a rough saber saw cut. Just for that I'm going to give you Jay's snowmobile.---006