The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah the cat had beat feet before I could plaster it with #2s. Wasn't too long after I got my Jack Russell- no more cats hanging around! Although 1 really dumb cat ill always remember.

My JRT loved to run a soccer ball, he could pick one up by the fill valve and carry the ball, inflated. Anyhow, this cat tried to sneak through the yard while he was playing . I whistle he comes to me. I pick him up and start walking kinda towards the cat. Cat starts to slink away. Well I felt every muscle in him tense up. He hit the ground about 10' from me. By now the cat is in high gear but the dog has 3 more gears. The cat goes about 75 yards and stops to look back, umm wrong idea there kitty- full speed by now and he steam rolls the feline. Snarls, barks, screams then 1 YIP. cat landed a claw on his nose. That just pizzed him off- fur flying, body parts flailing around. That cat was a chew toy for about 10 minutes. When he decided it was dead enough he comes back to play ball so I sent my Lab to fetch it so I could dispose of it, she made 4 trips! Man I gotta get another JRT!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ever watch that youtube video with the JRT vs a Cape Cobra? The cobra lost. Used to be a TV series about a husband and wife who catch and relocate snakes in South Africa. The husband once was called to save a green mamba from a JRT. The JRT had cornered it outside the house near an air conditioner unit. The JRT had worn the snake out and avoided all the strikes. The snake relocater caught the snake with ease. He said that it would have been 5 minutes or less before the snake was too slow and the dog would have bit through its neck to sever the spine. He said that he thought JRTs were killing more snakes in his area than all other causes combined. They are super quick, smart, and they don't give up or back off. If they accept you as the leader, there is no more loyal dog. All terriers are hunters, but I have never seen anything that beats the JRT on a pound weight even close to equal basis.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Very true, the only thing safe around here were tweety birds! Mine treed a bear once, I let him stay under that bear for at least 4 hours, figured to teach that bear a lesson. I finally got tired of the barking , went out and scooped him up. As I walked away the bear slowly climbed down- you could see the relief on its face. The dog girdled the oak tree, killing it but I got firewood!

College buddy and his hometown cronys ran dozens of rat terriers with the hounds- that was a sight to see! Only saw pictures- cab of the truck full of rats, flatbed loaded with guys and red bones.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That was quite a story on your JRT.....you whistling then the dog landing 10' from you. :D I know what you mean..they tense up and use those hind legs to leap like a frog! That is funny........

Our Yorkies were like that...fearless....but they didn't have the mass of a JRT to do serious damage....ankle biters......

Our Miss Apple has got to be the kindest dog we have ever had....a Shih Tzu.....bred by the Chinese to be companions.......can't imagine those sneaky chinks eating these dogs.......
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup the small breeds( lap dogs) were bred to keep the disease infested fleas off of royalty... well except for the terriers!
My little JRT, Tramp, would stand on my shoulder as I walked, if he saw something he would jump off at Mach 2.
The only problem with Tramp was once he set his mind to something ( killing) nothing stopped him- I jumped in my truck one day, hit the key and back around to go, get down the driveway and realize nothing on the dashboard works! Turn around , park the truck and pop the hood. Seems he was hunting a chipmunk in the engine compartment and the wiring harness was in the way so he chewed through it! I played dumb when I called the dealer- they fixed it under warranty.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jack Russell terriers are very popular over here and a lot of folks say if you're going to get a JRT get a good lawyer first..... :lol:
Also if you keep Ferrets never admit to anyone that you lost one, cause it's bound to be found in a neighbour's chicken coop... :oops:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Never had either.
But thanks for the sound advice old buddy. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've had a JRT, would have the breed again !
I've some experience with ferrets, they like to steal shiny things! Saw a black footed ferret once digging for prairie dogs. Very rare and protected at the time.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would have to buy a pair of Wellies before I would look right with a ferret. Then finding a woman named Nora to annoy would be doubly difficult.
Reference to Last Of The Summer Wine for those who do not watch Britcoms on PBS.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a houseful of dogs right now, but getting a JRT or JRT mix is on the future list.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Question....if all dog breeds have different personalities, likes/dislikes, some are mean, smart, stupid, take cold weather better, loyal, herd cattle better, hunt birds better...on and on...then why are ......according to the leftists....all people the same?
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:24 pm Question....if all dog breeds have different personalities, likes/dislikes, some are mean, smart, stupid, take cold weather better, loyal, herd cattle better, hunt birds better...on and on...then why are ......according to the leftists....all people the same?
That answer would drift into politics.
There are different personalities among dogs of the same breed, even though there are breed characteristics. A German Shepherd that one Grandpa had was terrified of thunder. He washed out of Police Training because of his terror of loud noises. Loved playing fetch.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Maybe intellectually, but certainly not scientifically. I have a National Geographic magazine right here from many years ago that was written after WW2 that says what they don't say today.

Maybe we ought to just drop it for fear of being "put on the list". :D
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have neither dog nor cat. Love 'em both... well... some of 'em anyway. But, I'll not subject either to being cooped up in a truck, hours on end. Nor will I abandon them at home for weeks on end. 2 of my 4 neighbors have dogs that love to chase cars... p/u's or even golf carts. I've told both of 'em if your dogs end up under my tires, it's their fault. Either pen them up or ensure your perimeter fence can hold 'em.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Texas Law is pretty strict about keeping your dogs confined. Your neighbors will be upset if their dogs get run over, but they could be fined for their dogs being out even if they are run over while out. I hate to see a dog with an owner who doesn't keep them on their home property. When my dogs get out, it bothers me. It isn't the dogs fault. Each time they got out has been because I didn't keep the fence in proper repair.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

In the sixties I never remember anybody caging up their dogs or keeping them in the house unless they were little dogs. People had dogs and just let them be and most always the dogs stayed around the house. It was nothing to see dogs walking through your door yard or in the woods. It was also somewhat common to see dogs hit on the road.

Our society has changed so much in the last 40-50 years.

People used to think fanny burbs were funny...now your a derelict if you do...everyone is sssooooooo uppity. Old Savage don't like fanny burbs but he fanny burbs 14 times a day, which is the average of most people.
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:11 am In the sixties I never remember anybody caging up their dogs or keeping them in the house unless they were little dogs. People had dogs and just let them be and most always the dogs stayed around the house. It was nothing to see dogs walking through your door yard or in the woods. It was also somewhat common to see dogs hit on the road.

Our society has changed so much in the last 40-50 years.
Same in the UK, nearly all dogs were free to roam and chase motorcycles at will :P the only problem I remember was having to watch where you put your feet. :evil:
I was at one time employed as a local government Dog Catcher, I found it weird enforcing laws that I had never obeyed.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A local psychologist comes in the lumberyard to get motor oil , this was during hurricane Sandy aftermath. He says I need to change the oil in my generator. He was told by multiple people to turn off the generator, let it cool for a bit then change the oil. A few days later he comes back in with little red scabs on his face wanting to buy a new generator. Then he declares ' MAKE SURE YOU TELL GENERATOR BUYERS TO SHUT OFF THE GENERATOR BEFORE CHANGING THE OIL' Seems this Dr pulled the dipstick & got a face full of hot oil. Then of all things he drained the oil with it running. We all know what happened next. Yup one new Honda boat anchor!
To my mind the psych Dr's are more fubar than those they treat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Love the JRT stories. When I was growing up we lived in a 4 house family compound surrounded by fields. The area was starting to develop into suburbs but was still largely rural. We had a fairly bad problem with feral cats and my grandmother, who lived next to us, had a miniature Dachsi that was an epic cat killer. He wasn't that fast but they almost always stopped to look back at him and that was it. He never hesitated, would hit them at (his) full speed and before they knew it had them by the throat and wouldn't let go until they were dead.

We thought he was a goner once when he went down a groundhog burrow but he showed up a couple hours later exhausted and blood covered. My Dad washed him off to see how bad he was hurt and all he had was a damaged ear. Tough little dog.

Post by piller »

If humans had the courage and loyalty that some dogs have!
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I got the JRT, about 9 weeks old he kept pulling on lamp cords. I unplugged all the lamps and put the plugs up out of reach. Then I rigged a 9 volt battery and a length of lamp cord. Sure enough he got the old tongue on a battery zap- that just pizzed him off and he destroyed the cord and the battery!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:45 am If humans had the courage and loyalty that some dogs have!
Wow! I wake up (pulled a 3:30 'er last night ) and find you boys just a yapping away......

Piller, background info...I gave my loyalty to many people only to have it jammed up my A a lot of times...never could I think people could be so nasty.......Geeze, my own sister had a fake will that gave everything to her...good thing my dad gave me the original. ....and I thought my sister and brother and me got along great....MANY family members warned me to watch out for them....they all said I was too trusting.....don't even want to discuss my brother.....jealousy is a nasty emotion.....the kicker is they are both worth 10X more than me.

That's why we like animals here over people.....I keep most people an arms length away...or an Internet away... :D

I must say that of many thousands of dollars of stuff I sold here......shipped first....only resulted in getting burnt 2 times for a total of around $150...

Well, back to niceties.....it's cold and windy here and other than walking out in the field and the woods, I haven't left the house in about a week. I'm afraid I might run into someone I know and they are gonna ask me for something....
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Six, financial worth is a terrible way to measure the worth of a man. Loyalty, honesty, how they treat those who cannot do anything for them, and a few other things are the best measuring sticks. As Shakespeare wrote: the evil that men do lives after them, but the good is often interred with their bones. I do not give a Pelosi about how much someone is worth. I care about how they treat me and others.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When I was 30 or so, I worried about money like most people.
Like my buddy Six, I played it pretty conservative. I've been to Six's house, and mine is even smaller. I've had a good job for this area but live more circumspect than most everyone I work with. They are also the ones worrying the place will close. I hope it does.
I'm not rich by any means. We raised 3 sons and prepared them for an honorable life in a messed up world. I guess that means we did them a disservice. :D
I don't worry at all about money anymore. Not because I have a bunch, but because it's not what is most important. I feel I've done the work that was most important for me to do.
I find it's best to not expect much from people. Most will let you down. If you can depend on your family and a few friends, you are a rich man.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I see stickers on the back of people's cars....."people suck". Well, looks like I'm not the only one who noticed.

A man is measured by the quality of his Winchesters and Colts....and if he has a cool Jeep....and has friends from Maine, New Jersey, Texas, California and is a known financial contributor at the local T Bars....

It's a major plus if that man has old Rugers, Redwing boots, and can blast a fanny burp through his pants without making a hole. Asphyxiations of people in the same room as he, due to methane expulsions will guarantee that man has a good operating system.

Memberships in the NRA, Proud boys, and other triple lettered organizations will propel him to new heights.

Yep, money don't mean nuttin!---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Woke up at 4, just about when you go to bed ain't it? Figured I should get up, gotta leave about 630 to go blast some infamous ZZ birds! Gotta test drive the new Perazzi. I'm hoping to make this my dedicated ZZ gun. Going to take a couple other guns and stick FOR SALE signs on them.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

OMG!
It's like Six was talking about ME! :D
I'm in.....I'm in! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah... fanny burbs, those little releases of internal pressure ensuring balance and harmony. As for money, most of my friends my age are retired... and are worried about... everything, while I happily trudge off to work, keeping the economy greased with the sweat of my labor! But hey, I did win $23 on the Lotto this week! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

See, Griff old buddy........
Living right pays off! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Early to bed..early to rise.....2-11...did you know Uncle Joe Stalin went to bed at 5 and got up at 12. Putin does the same....

Good ''ole Uncle Joe....what an addition to humanity! High spirited fellow he was....

Well Jay...hurry up.....if we get moving now we can make it to the T bar by 10.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok! I gotta load up on ones! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Uncle Tbone showed up today to BS while I was out shooting ZZs. There he sat wearing his battery powered vest just as snug as a bug while the rest of us were a bit under dressed!
I'm on the line shooting when I hear a few guys shouting ARE YOU OK!? I didn't see what happened but apparently someone took a header- no idea who it was though.
Anyhow I shot like... well... I can't say as the moderators would delete this post but I had fun, good bunch of guys to hang out with, wait almost all shooters are that way( except ATA guys!)
New gun worked well, the simpleton behind is another story!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I believe Mr Gunny that you are speaking of my attempt to do a double gainer with a single twist....in the driveway. Tip for all you amateurs out there...you don’t get any additional style points unless you land DIRECTLY on your spare Glock mag AND a Swiss Champ pocket knife in your right front pocket! Dang it Dang it Dang it that hurt!
Gunny you are right they were a good group to hang with.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay....that's what copying machines are for.....just copy a mess of $20 Jacksons and from a distance she won't know the difference.....(well, hope it is a "she"....you'll get the $20 treatment when it's lap dance time....

Well...Uncle T Bone goes to see "The Gunny"....well, is that all? Like, OK, what's the punch line? T Bone drives to see "The Gunny" and don't shoot?

Little windy for shooting ZZ birds....at least it was here........I split some hickory that I've been saving....it's about 5 years old and covered.....still great but it's getting bore holes from something......----0
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tom dropped off his 36 for me... to restock- read the post ! We did lots of shooting the schiza!
You are gonna feel that tomorrow Tom!

What you have there is powder post beetles. The beetles lays its eggs on the wood, larvae then bores its way into the wood. Hickory has the highest BTU per cord .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Not just a Marlin 36 but a Marlin 36 A-DL.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:26 pm Not just a Marlin 36 but a Marlin 36 A-DL.
It's a Marlin T-Bone...that's all. :D

Old Savage......man! You're good at editing! Leave out a few words and it's all cleaned up!
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just keepin' the raft from goin' over the falls. ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:17 am Just keepin' the raft from goin' over the falls. ;-)
Thanks Fred! And thanks for the delete on the classified page....Geeze, I'm afraid to post something for sale...it turns into a thread...like, what advertisement turns into 500 reads? Either I'm interesting or people are nosy as heck.---6..o..da...bro
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The place is based on interest. No surprise.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, I get it......if I'm generating interest than why can't I get a monetary reward, like they do on You Tube?

Go to You Tube and type in "using leaf blower to clean snow" and the first one up is me with over 60,000 views. I get a monthly check for $81.---6. Just checked...I'm the 8th one under "sixgun Jack"
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just wait Six, the tax man is gonna be looking for his cut of your YouTube pay!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I published a professional newsletter for years so I am fairly familiar with the output and the feedback from authors and readers and who reacts how.

I would put you in the category of a knowledgeable practicalist. Lots of people want to know how to do things. YouTube is great for that, so not surprised.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Don't believe it......while it's true that my video is watched by many, I don't get no money......

Jews routinely commend each other when they do good. The ones who know the most and have the most are looked up to where the gentile likes to knock their own off the top of the mountain or will plant obstacles for their own as they climb.......
Last edited by Sixgun on Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hey Gunnymack , I passed up a Baikal O/U 28 gauge fir $400. Nice wood and bluing, should I have bought?

G-K you can give me your opinion too! :lol: only if you want to, tho :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3legg i have no experience with those. I guess they are very serviceable. However I believe they are kinda crude...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It is a mental disease that many have which makes them want to be the crab which pulls any other crab back into the bucket when one tries to climb out and escape from the bucket of low achievement.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny....your an "over and under snob" like I'm a "Winchester snob".

Other than guys like Gunny who in the hell wants a 28 gauge? GREAT for what they are and an excellent compromise between a 20 and a .410 but in reality, a 28 ga. is a shotgun guys "snob gun".

So what else is going on besides Turtledudes quest for some Roosky shootin' iron?.....

I got news.....found two more 2'x3' orange quartz rocks......but they are on my inlaws property and are about 6' down in a gulch in the creek.......probably weigh 4-600 pounds.....my SIL gave me the go ahead so I guess it's Kubota and chain time tomorrow. This is going to be fun wrapping a chain around these.....

I'll be full of mud and the only thing I'll gain is keeping A.H.'s from coming down the driveway.
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The 28 gauge is like the 300 Savage, the 218 Bee or the 38WCF. Guys who are hunters and woodsmen know their worth. Plus I have a bunch of 28 shells around.
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:54 pm It is a mental disease that many have which makes them want to be the crab which pulls any other crab back into the bucket when one tries to climb out and escape from the bucket of low achievement.
Good analogy Piller....I don't think it's a disease...I think it's common human behavior coming out as civil inhibitions seem to have lost their way. People just don't give a F anymore and true colors are in abundance....you know how the old timers used to say.."dog eat dog".

I was reading last night on Vince Foster who allegedly committed suicide.....he had notes in his folder that he wrote himself detailing the Washington atmosphere where people destroy one another just for sport.

Yea....crabs....low life form similar to many people.
Model A Uzi’s