The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Only thing better would be a cold beer & oatmeal rasin cookies!

Took Claro out for her favorite past time this morning. She found and flushed 10 birds... well she flushed 8, grabbed 2 before they flew, saves ammo! I shot 2, another guy shot one that flew out of sight. Claro the brown wonder found that rooster DRT. Hard to believe she is going to be 8 next week! Seems like only yesterday she was a little brown sausage!
Here is Winnie and Claro
20210116_174410.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny,
Man! You get to do aaallllll the neat stuff.......let me get this straight...Winnie is the one who crossed the Great Divide, right? When you get situated and your sitting on the couch with a cold beer, cookies, and a shot of bourbon, pat Claro on the head a few times for me, telling her she did a great job!

Looks like it was a good day for birding...overcast with no wind.....

We only had a sprinkle/mist overnight....no puddles.....

When you pat a dog (like, a half dozen times, or more) on the head they close their eyes and smile.....I've destroyed my dogs by doing this and they think they can only eat their food after I pat them on the head......I don't know how I did it but it happened. Sometimes mom will call me in the room to pat the dogs on their head so they will eat.

Well, I have clothes to wash and the dog gets to sit in the clothes basket while I carry her down the steps.---6

Oh! YOU WON 150!!!!!!! Here is your prize, this mornings coffee that mom didn't finish.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sitting on the couch. The old chihuahua is sleeping beside me. She has decided that I am not capable of sitting, or even being in the house by myself. Funny how dogs pick out who they like. Our puppies love to be cuddled, and the old chihuahua just hates that. She just goes nuts when the puppies jump on my lap. Dogs are funny.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yep Piller....dogs are more than funny...they are also loyal and love us unconditionally.....they will always be there for you and the family, they calm your nerves when your upset, they eat the same food everyday, they fanny burp without sound and are unapologetic when they do, go on rides with you and don't complain where your going, will never rifle through your pockets to steal your cash, keep you warm on a cold night, go hiking with you and don't care if your going uphill, and a million other good things ......pretty much the opposite of 98% of people of which I have become to loath....(OK, "strongly dislike" :D )

Oh! Gunny's prize.....(the coffee, NOT the cup.
Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dixie was my yellow that has gone over. She had lots of health problems, lost an eye to cancer among other things. She was affectionately known as the attention sponge., more you touched her the more she would absorb! Once she showed up at the vets office she became a Jello lab , her bones just melted :lol:
Winnie is here, she has a fit everytime I take Claro or Parker hunting. She doesn't like birds- squirrels beware though!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I had 1 dog that did that at the Vet's office. She knew that fighting didn't do any good, but she figured out that totally turning to half melted jello would slow things down. Smart dog.
The ChiWeenie loves the attention at the vet's. 12 pound jet black half Chihuahua and half Dachshund. She loves people, but she barks at anyone coming up outside. Great alarm. She will go right up to our Ridgeback and make him sit down. No fighting, just a display of dominance. The Ridgeback sort of thinks she is funny. Neither actually fights the other. When the ChiWeenie gets up and licks his nose, he just lays down and lets her snuggle up to him. The neighbor's pit bulls seem a bit scared of the Ridgeback. They back up when we let him off the chain. Yep! Dogs are funny.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

This guy I know who is in his early fifties has had 4 heart attacks and while he does not tell me why I strongly believe it's from past meth use which he was well known to like.

Anyway, on his third heart attack he was dead for a bit on the op table.....he was telling me he saw all the things that dead people supposedly see, like the light, relatives, blah, blah. He said he vividly remembers being in a huge field that was all flowers.....and dogs....he said millions of em all over running, jumping, all happy......and he doesn't have any dogs.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My girls also love going to the vet. When they are still puppies I make it a point to stop by weekly so the pup gets positive input... COOKIES! Put them on the scale, let em sniff around, lots of ear scratches. Makes future visits much easier. I'm a firm believer in getting a pup out &about to ( ugh I hate this word) socialize.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Zoey is like that. She barks like crazy if someone comes in the driveway. This booming, really deep bark. She is all black and weighs 85lbs.
Of course, her tail is wagging like crazy and she is excited because whoever it is is obviously there to see and pat her!😁
She loves everybody. Our neighbor says she is the friendliest dog he has ever seen. She loves my dad and will run across the yard to see him. The whole way she is making these German Shepherd Chubaka noises while running flat out.
She is an incredibly happy dog and it rubs off on everyone who is around her. Just love big Z.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:21 am My girls also love going to the vet. When they are still puppies I make it a point to stop by weekly so the pup gets positive input... COOKIES! Put them on the scale, let em sniff around, lots of ear scratches. Makes future visits much easier. I'm a firm believer in getting a pup out &about to ( ugh I hate this word) socialize.
I hate that word too, but it's a huge part of helping a dog live well.

My youngest son just got a new yellow lab puppy last fall. The breeder is small, only whelps 4 litters a year and the puppies get lots of human contact from birth to weaning. Their pup instantly bonded with his three kids (7, 6 and 3) and slept all night with no whimpering or whining the first night. Only problem was I think he really thought the 3 year old (a crazy red head boy) was a litter mate and the two of them would roll around and wrestle until they wore each other out. The pup would hide under the dining room table and nap and they'd find the 3 year old sound asleep in the middle of the family room floor. An hour later they'd be back at it.

Now the pup is pretty much full size and his newest acquired skill is "posing" for pictures. I swear he understands what's going on.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nothing better than a boy and his dog!!

Speaking of that, Parker got to play MVP today! We had 18 birds to stock, 4 guys and Parker. She found all 18 birds! I took 4 shots and got all 4. The guys just don't shoot at the beak! Always behind. I can't say 'butt, beak BANG' enough.
Had a rooster flush, guy shoots twice and we see it land. Parker flushes it a second time- 2 more shots and it flies to the property line. We kept hunting and as we finished up she locked up on point then went in for the flush. It was that rooster again- it couldn't get off the ground but it could run! Guess after being shot at 4 times atleast 1 pellet connected.. Was a Chinese fire drill for a while but she got it !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do best with a shotgun when I close one eye. I can point at something with my finger, either hand, and the point moves whether I close my right or left eye. It makes shooting a gun with both eyes open a probable miss. With a rifle or pistol it is no problem. With a shotgun, I have to put something like a small dot of tape on one lens. Otherwise, I probably will miss everything. One good part is that an eye injury does not change my shooting ability. About 7 years ago, I had an injury to my right eye. I took the renewal for my CHL using my Left hand and eye, with a patch over my Right eye. I am Right handed. I missed a perfect score by one shot hitting the 3 ring instead of the 5 point center.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep, scotch tape has been a great benefit to shooters for years! A buddy of mine had a fishing accident, split shot penetrating his right eye! He had to learn how to shoot left handed.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Six says he can't log on anymore......got something to do with being "voice sensored" brought on by multiple complaints from the left who have infiltrated "our" board.

He says he was all set to go to the gun club today with 7 guns and 450 rounds of ammo but was afraid if he got pulled over he might be mistaken as a rioter even though he was on a direct route to and from the gun club.

To commemorate the "holiday" he decided to just lay around and fanny burp all day, maybe even throw in a couple of "sharts".----JB
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

yo.
Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The breeds with flat faces are cute in their own way but the Frenchies are probably the cutest. Sad part is most of those breeds are delivered by surgery as we have made them not fit the way God intended!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
Your knowledgeable! I didn't know that until you said it......I asked mom whose niece is a breeder and she was telling me all dates of conception and whatever else is needed in the way of dates and then at a certain time the bitch (dog) is taken to the vet where they stay and tests are done then the bitch (dog) is given a c section....

Those two dogs pictured are top breeding stock and are valued at 10G's each! They are my daughters but the breeding rights are my nieces. Cheap way of getting one of these.....the "owner" takes care of them, feeds em and whatever is needed to raise a dog but the breeding rights stay with the original owner.

Well, it's time for Miss Apple to go for her woods walk.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Some breeders insist that a pup buyer with intent to breed use the kennel name on AKC papers. I do not do that. All I ask is if the new owner invites me for the birth- sadly none have bred.
A friend , a vet tech worked for the Seeing Eye , she has delivered thousands of puppies so when puppies are due she gets the call and I know everything will be ok. Even the surrounding area vets call her when whelping time comes.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Our Chihuahua was a breeding dog. Excellent markings and perfect head shape. When she could not produce anymore litters, she was given to us. I refer to her as the grumpy old grandma. She snaps at the other dogs, but they back up. All she wants is to sleep beside me or on my lap. I think the other dogs are laughing at her. They do not seem to take her seriously.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Sure would be a weird world without our dogs, huh?

Rambo 111...in Afghanistan....
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well I got my first batch of "pre-ban" books today. Gonna order some more soon.
Then start working on some more stuff that will be on list for the next phase of totalitarianism. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep if any breed has a Napoleon complex its Chihuahuas! Most of the time they run the household too!

I doubt we would be as evolved as we claim to be without our canine companions.

I ordered a few books myself. First aid, trapping and survival.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

"Pre ban books"....."survival books?".....your all thinking too much.....the right is on the verge of a revolution now, long before it gets that bad. Those boys from the northern states are already gearing up.....

The left knows this. Wait until the millions of us patriots get told for taxation and registration ......with the knowledge knowing all of this taxation dollars are to be helping illegals, low life's, and other leftist "causes" gets out. Ha!

Those F 's stole an election......we can live with that...I can......but when taxation and registration hits the pocketbook of millions of patriots.....watch out.----6
Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Gunny, what shotgun did you use? Pretty amazing they can catch birds when they flush..
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Used to know a farmer back where I grew up who had a German Shepherd that would go hunt and jump and catch pheasant. She did that quite a bit. Not sure how she learned to do it.
D. Brian Casady
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Friend had a dog we hunted with that would flush birds and catch them on the take off at times.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3legg, I normally shoot my Rizzini 28 ga side by side. Sometimes I take my CZ 410. Once in a while ill break out my Ruger Red Label 28 ga.

As for dogs grabbing birds it is genetically ingrained survival. Its rare a pointing breed will grab a bird as that trait has been bred out.. I don't condone that but ya gotta praise the retrieve. The first Lab I had frequently caught mourning doves!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This one didn't get out to hunt much. We had to let him run the mile and a half in to the hunt club so he could be calm enough to hunt. Discipline was lacking because he didn't hunt regularly enough.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Zoey catches her food dish every time.
She sneaks up real quiet. It must not hear her cause it doesn't even get a chance to run. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've known a couple German shorthairs that particular technique worked on as well!

Parker drowns her food bowl with drool every time, Claro has her dish stuck to her nose through suction!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Our 4 legged friends are often a wonderful source of amusement.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

piller wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 pm Our 4 legged friends are often a wonderful source of amusement.
And these days, we need that more than ever.
Zoey loves winter. She suffers in the summer. She doesn't do well in heat at all.
Come winter, she is like a puppy. The colder and more snow, the better.
When I go out to scrape the driveway and shovel the walks, she loves to come out with me. I leave her in when I'm running the blower.
She enjoys knocking the snow on the edges of the driveway down and watching me clean them back up. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

As a exgamekeeper I know quite a bit about dogs catching pheasants on driven shoot days...... :evil: :? :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Gunny, I miss my 28 gauge, I'll find another eventually! so dogs catching birds as they flush is more than I thought. Cool to hear all the experiences about them. Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:46 pm Zoey catches her food dish every time.
She sneaks up real quiet. It must not hear her cause it doesn't even get a chance to run. :D
Now THIS is a post of substance! I got out of bed and while I'm dropping off a Biden at the pool I'm reading this and laughing my azz off....well done!

I'd do anything for animals ...(four legged)....one of our cats who must be 12 developed an eating disorder or a bad tooth and stopped eating her dry food.......went out and dropped a Grant on Fancy Feast.

Open your mind to cats as many people don't like them.....in the wild they do what is natural to them such as eating songbirds...at home, if you feed them and are responsible they will,only eat a bird from time to time.

We all LOVE dogs don't we? I've shot probably a dozen of them during my years of hunting and everyone was on the heels of a deer and none of these dogs had collars. Out in Chester County game wardens told us of these wild dogs and instructed us to shoot em if we saw them. Cats and dogs and people turn into nasty things unless they are civilized.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A former co-worker had a cat that he would give a massage to that reminged me of a bongo solo. The cat loved it. Seriously. It looked rough, but the cat loved it.
When left to go feral, dogs are a problem. I kill feral dogs when I encounter them. When they start to attack me, they have made the choice for me.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I love dogs, but when they go feral and attack people, well, that changes everything. :(
D. Brian Casady
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Took me a long time to admit I like cats. But I finally realized cats are great, its just most of the people that own them I can't stand! :mrgreen:

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Piller....BE READY!.....as the left has gone feral! :D

Here is a question for you educated guys.....OK, Canada was a colony of the English and the French......England is now it's own country....so WHY does Canada still worship the Queen of England?

This nickel is dated 1973 .....the current queen looks a bit younger in this side profile.

Model A Uzi’s
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Six, they isnt feral. They are just brain washed and indoctrinated. I wondered the same thing about Canada remaining under english rule.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

All true statements above boys.
I've always liked cats. Their independence and GFY attitude is what I like. They are survivors of the first order.

I've never shot a cat or dog. A dog chasing deer I would not hesitate. It used to be a real problem up here, but now the coyotes kill the dogs before they get a chance to chase the deer. Mostly, it's the dog's owner that needs shooting.

I never really got the deal with Canada either. Sad, seeing how most of my family came from that neck of the woods.
I can't understand wanting to be "subjects" of some other country. Maybe that's why we left? :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room XLII

Post by Sixgun »

Well...maybe so.....

I took my iPad along with me during my daily walk with Miss Apple. I let her lead the way....

In the tall grass

In the woods...must be tough being that low to the ground.

Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah I've thought that too!
We had a little Yorkie when the kids were young. He was the sweetest little dog but I think was a result of irresponsible breeding because he was quite "special needs". People suck.
Now besides Big Z we have a little toy poodle named Maggie. She has not one desire to have her feet touch the out of doors. She is box trained and is content on someone's lap. She is very good natured and quite smart. Like all poodles, she is a yapper if someone comes to the house.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yes indeed! Bad owners can cause the most trouble.
I like having a dog that alerts me if someone is outside. My Irish Terrier is big enough that an intruder would get hurt. She is the friendliest dog you ever met as long as you are not in the house. Try to come in before I am there and she will attempt to turn you into hamburger. Once I am there, she is your new friend. I like a dog who knows when to protect and when to be friendly.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I agree Piller.....not much beats a dog when it comes to alerting and at the same time is friendly .......

When my dad was alive he would come over and complain about the dogs. Politely, I would inform him that HE wan on THEIR turf.

I gots to get my azz in gear....2:00 and I'm still in my long underwear and slippers.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Zoey barks when someone pulls in the yard or she hears something outside.
She won't sleep in the bedroom. She sleeps out where she can hear.
She has the deepest, most ferocious bark you can imagine, but would be friendly to a ski mask wearing stranger with an axe. I don't care as all we need is to be alerted.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Parker is my watch dog. She barks at everything and everyone, of course the tail is going a thousand miles an hour in glee.

Piller you should have 70 lbs lap dogs, these three all want to be in your lap at once! Darn near need a cup to drink my coffee! :lol:

I've shot 1 dog, it was feral and charged me. Come to find out it had puppies, I was heart broken! Yotes sure all day but a domesticated gone feral I just couldn't do it unless it was attacking me or mine.

Cats, I'm allergic, can't stand the fact that the 'ultimate predator ' is locked in the house pelosi-ing in a box that people clean out... Something very wrong with that!
410 slugs are very good medicine for cats! Reminds me of many years ago the neighborhood was over run with feral cats, I look out the window and see one in the yard, grab my 870 and open the front door just as a Jehohovas Witness was reaching for the doorbell- haven't seen a JW since!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My best friend has some acreage, and a momma coyote once chased him away from the den. He was on a tractor running the brush hog at the time. I went out a couple of days later with my Glock model 22 and some 165 grain rounds. She came charging. Took me 2 shots to get on target. Third shot and she went nose in the grass so hard she flipped upside down feet toward me and never twitched. Her mate came in from my right. I put one through his chest as he had his head up. Exit was just past the ribs and stomach junction. He dropped on the spot. I also had a .22 lr with me. I went and found the den and killed the pups. First, enough coyotes out there, second, they were not old enough to survive on their own. No point in causing them to starve to death. There hasn't been a coyote den in that spot since. Coyotes are not stupid. If there is not a food source real close, they might make a den anyway if it is isolated and safe. Take away the safety and they move on.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ya did good Piller.....must have been exciting making a double of yotes....well, an octuble.....(I made that word up)......

Gunny...ya blew it...you could have warmed the barrels up on others before going out catin'. Those J.W.'s are weirdos...we used to have them coming over here until the wife up right and told them to hit the F. road...then called the cops up after finding they did not have a soliticitng permit.....

It's why I have a chain....people just can't see or understand to keep the F. off my property.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Used to have a neighbor like that. He didn't seem to understand that some stuff and some property belonged to others. The he finally moved. Good riddance.
D. Brian Casady