The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by piller »

May seem crazy, but jalapeños are not considered hot here. They are mild to medium. Habañeros are the hot ones. Ouch! There are some hot sauces around with Ghost Pepper in them. I am not crazy enough to try them. Those ones can burn through an engine block just like a thermite grenade. I grow jalapeños in my garden. I have to watch my chihuahua and my chiweenie. They both go out and bite them right off the plant. No wonder they have gas that will make your eyes tear up. The little serrano peppers are hot. Sort of like a cayenne pepper in the amount of heat. They taste great when cooked in stuff.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Oh, yeah. It just started raining here. Not much yet. Maybe 50 degrees out.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Piller.....your so hot from those peppers your smokin' hot.....hot enough to win a page and post 7,000 at the same time.....congratulations! Jay was eating these deviled eggs and had so much gas he put some in a baggie and sealed it up.....word has it he is giving it away for a page prize.....can't remember the number of the page, think it's "141".

Watching Trump down in Georgia......I had to take a break....seeing this guy give his heart and soul to a country only to see the devil steal it......I hate those democrats more than I hate Rossi and Uberti junk. :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

piller wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:03 pm Oh, yeah. It just started raining here. Not much yet. Maybe 50 degrees out.
We had a dusting of snow here and it was 29.....

Six whaddya thunk about the 380 and 9mm Makarov's? I was down to 2 non-USA guns til I acquired these and some Italian shotguns! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I guess they're OK Turtledude......if they shoot and function 100% they should be just fine.....last I heard not many people want to get shot, even with a .22. I had/have a Ruger .380 that I haven't seen for several years.....it's somewhere in the house.....

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, the country can go the h.e.l.l. in a handbasket, but with good electricity out to the barn I installed... er... my son did the heavy lifting, I provided ground support... a new security light over the barn door? Entry... that's it, barn entry!

Friday dawned bright and clear skies... so, since the boy missed a coyote 2 days in a row... we went off to the range. Where we proved it wasn't his rifle! I took 3 ARs and proved that my Vortex scopes are better by far than his famous brand 3-gun special scope. Even my little $79 el cheapo scope & mount has a 2 mil dot! I mean really, why would you make a scope with a 5 mil dot as the aiming point? As he said, @ 250 yards it more than covers the coyote! And it was a big coyote!

Did prove that my H-Bar wannabe needs some more breaking in! But, it's easy to make a 1" group @ 100 yards. Mr. Coyote strolled thru my pasture 2 days in a row... shot at 2 days in a row, and now... absent without leave! Tho' I can hear them out in the woods behind my pasture at nite... (well, when I have my hearing aids in)!!!!

Sent one of my Dillons back today to get a rebuild! 33 years old and an unknown how many thousands of rounds. Polishing my 223 brass, and will load a few hundred tomorrow. Will probably go back to the range on Monday and do some more testing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya want your jalapeños hotter? Sprinkle Epsom salt around the plants as they grow, they get HOT!

Tomorrow is our firearms opener for deer/bear. I gotta go up to the farm this morning , last minute check of my stands.

Have to test fire a 22 that a friend dropped off for the once over, claimed it didn't work. Not squeaky clean but clean enough that it should operate.

And now- Java
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is a Model 141 Rem should be the prize. They came in 30, 32 and 35 Rem at least.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:54 am There is a Model 141 Rem should be the prize. They came in 30, 32 and 35 Rem at least.
I'll get on that...have a new one made before the war downstairs. Naturally, its in 35. Dang ..forgot about that..got a 14 in 35 in the same condition......and a 25.....

Griff is the busy one here....."a 5 mil dot"? Might be good up to a hundred yards but so are open sights at that range.

Sunny outside for a change....

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Somewhere in the basement I have a Rem 12 receiver & trigger group. Was going to build a custom 12 but like they say- best laid plans of mice & men...

Well my stand is in good shape. Best investment ever when I bought that tripod! 14 feet high, 4 foot platform, 360 ° swivel seat with shooting rail. Been debating on putting sides and a roof on it for years. Packed all my clothing into the truck so all I have to do is drive there and get dressed & climb up.

Really hope I see a Grizz tomorrow! Can you skin grizz pilgrim?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, the 25 would be the schiznizel ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:17 pmReally hope I see a Grizz tomorrow! Can you skin grizz pilgrim?
Don't get your hopes up too high! Has there ever been a Grizz in NJ? :P :P

Decided not to load a few hundred today... I'll wait until I test a small batch... then load up a couple/three hundred.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:03 pm Six, the 25 would be the schiznizel ;-)
"Model 25" Fred.....not the 25 Remington......

In my personal extremely knowledgeable antique gun mind, the Model 25 was the best woods gun ever invented in the history of the World, part 1. Pump action centerfire in a rifle the same size of a pump action .22.

I had a decent one in 32-20 that I sold AJMD and still have a like new one in 25-20....

Well Gunny.....your all good to go! Now the only thing you need is what I usually get which are conditions that are out of your control...like high winds and driving rain.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Out in SouthWest Kansas when I was a kid, we were out hunting pheasant on a cold windy dak with some snow flurries. Being a kid, I stepped on a large clump of grass. A 3 pound loudly cackling feathered bomb exlpoded skyward from under my foot. I was so surprised that I missed. I looked down at the place it had been, and there was a tailfeather half under my foot. It was about zero degrees with a wind chill of minus 20.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, if it's raining I go to work ! This week is supposed to be nice weather but I'll only hunt tomorrow and Saturday. Then a few Saturday's through February when the season ends.

Piller if your stride was just 8" longer you would have stepped on that roosters head, then it flopping around would have REALLY freaked you out! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok Piller...here's your 141 in 35 Rem. made in 1940...about new....in the middle is a 14 also in 35 Rem. made in 1928, about a 92 per enter and the bottom is a 25 in 25-20 made in 1930 with the same condition as the 14......all have top of the line Lyman's .....

OK, bragging is over.....what do I do with the rest of the evening?

Supposed to be cold and windy for the next couple of days.....looks like hanging in the house again getting on the nerves of the college educated elites.------006.....secret agent from Colorado.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A few years ago, someone sold their Grandpa's model 8s and model 81s to a pawn shop. I should have taken out a loan. Both models were in perfect condition and were 1 each of .35, .32, and 30. I think that one was .25 and one of the 81s was .300 Savage. I was probably stupid, but I passed on them.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:13 pm A few years ago, someone sold their Grandpa's model 8s and model 81s to a pawn shop. I should have taken out a loan. Both models were in perfect condition and were 1 each of .35, .32, and 30. I think that one was .25 and one of the 81s was .300 Savage. I was probably stupid, but I passed on them.
That's Ok Piller...those guns never raised much in value.......for some strange reason, the Remington's pumps never caught on in big bucks with the exception of the 14 1/2 which was chambered in the 44 and 38-40 calibers and the model 25....Remington autos likewise .........a Remington rep told me 10 years ago that if they brought back the old pumps, it would be a $3500 gun because of the massive amount of machining that went into these guns......I have less than a $1,000 tied up in those three pumps. I probably owned a dozen of them over the years.....kept the best ones...

Like the modern 760 pump, these old 141's and 14's are excellent shooters

Don't know why because I don't see them very often for sale, especially the little 25.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Appreciate the education on the pumps. Always liked them. Never owned one.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Quite a few Remington designs were costly to produce. Winchester too. But when a guy could easily live on pennies a day and guns cost 12-18-25 bucks a piece people just waited and saved. It's a real shame what inflation has caused.

So I woke up at 0330, alarm set for 0400. Grab my phone to turn the alarm off and I didn't plug it in last night! Hope that isn't a hint to how my day is going to be?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:41 pm Ok Piller...here's your 141 in 35 Rem. made in 1940...about new....in the middle is a 14 also in 35 Rem. made in 1928, about a 92 per enter and the bottom is a 25 in 25-20 made in 1930 with the same condition as the 14......all have top of the line Lyman's .....

OK, bragging is over.....what do I do with the rest of the evening?

Supposed to be cold and windy for the next couple of days.....looks like hanging in the house again getting on the nerves of the college educated elites.------006.....secret agent from Colorado.

Nice pumps Six!
They sold some 8s, 81s, and 141s up here. Still see them, but not too often these days. I've only ever seen any of the in 35. As I've said before, the 35 Remington is very popular here. I've had a chance over the years for some minty ones. Just never bought any.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jay......you up bro?......the 35's are rarely seen around here......seems like everyone jumped on the 30 bandwagon.....up there in the mighty woods of Maine where people know their guns better common sense caught on sooner....

Ahhhhh...how much snow did ya get?----6

Yes Master, when you break one of these guns apart, it's nothing but machined steel inside....lots of parts...all machined...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah I stayed home last night. Had some tinkering downstairs this morning.
I put an Ed Brown barrel in my old Springfield 1911 a while back. I had it real close but needed just a touch. Finished that up.
I have a post 64 94 30-30 carbine I use as a truck gun (got it for free). It looks brand new. Anyway, the lever safety sticks once in a while, so I pulled the lower tang and fixed that.
We didn't get hardly anything! Maybe 5 inches. Stupid weather terrorists like to make a big deal out of anything.
However, we had some bad wind and over 200,000 were without power. Thats almost 25% of the population here! Our middle son lost his out on Rt.2, so they came over and spent the night, along with their dogs. :D
My neighbor lost half of a big maple across the driveway. He had to plow so I went over and sawed it up for him.

Being a machinist, I marvel every time I take an old gun apart. The work and machining is unbelievable. Funny thing is, those old guns aren't much heavier than the aluminum and stamped garbage that replaced them.
Haha yup. These old hicks like their 35s up here. You see them often, along with 38-55, 358win, 35 Whelen, 33wcf, 375win, ........
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya Jayster......guns made today really are junk.....they just don't have the "feel" or the solidness of the old guns. I believe the wood ......if they use wood......is more porous......as you know, nothing beats the wood that comes from the North...tree for tree........so now they will take a black walnut seedling and feed it the best of nutrients and plant the sucker in Mississippi...

I'm getting more disillusioned every day at what is going on in the world.....it's like the gloves are off and no one is even trying to hide their misdeeds anymore......and the elitists who are getting caught are not receiving jail time while the victims are getting steamrolled.....

Your right buddy...they have won and I truly feel sorry for the young couples who are raising kids........WHY bring children into this world when in reality you are subjecting them to a lifetime of grief, uncertainty, and control.---------6..o...he not da bro anymo.

I'm going outside to play with the binary trigger on the 10-22....if the cops come I'm going to demand to know the name of the accuser so I can file harassment charges against em.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I spent the whole day in the woods! Got in about 6-6:15 am, sat until 5. If you divide the hours spent up a tree by the number of deer i saw it was 1 deer every 3.33 hours!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Couldn't pay me to do that.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Old Win hope you have a great day.. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 am Hey Old Win hope you have a great day.. :D
Haha thanks buddy! No sneakin' one by you! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jay is it your BIRFFDAY!?

Fred I really hadn't planned on staying in my stand all day but it was fairly nice, sunshine & above freezing. Wish I had seen more deer though!

Stayed in contact with 4 guys all day, nobody saw squat for deer. Between the large population of coyotes, tail end on the full moon in combination with 2nd rut I'm sure the deer were holed up sleeping all day.

Yes Jay HOW did the old timers do the machine work on all the old guns? Think about it, the milling alone boggles the mind- just the metallurgy to make cutting tools! That's why learning how to file was so important.

Ahh that's a good cup o joe! I really could have gone for a cup of coffee yesterday around 10am.

As much as I wanted to go to bed yesterday when I got home I had a virtual meeting for the executive board for the club last night. Started late as some of the guys forgot and of course it ran late. By the time I got to bed it was almost 9:30- long day!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Don't feel bad Gunny. Up here you can spend time like that in a stand, day after day, and see nothing for deer.

The amount of jig and fixture must have been mind boggling. I came at the end of those days in my job.
The worst part was it all had to be left a few thou over and file fit. Not only for size, but for hole location and relation I'm assuming.
The result of that, however, was the golden age of firearms manufacturing.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey! Cold and windy....

My BIL on my side of the family is a genius...for real....he is a furniture maker by trade and has made hutches, tables, etc for the DuPonts......he was buying antique machinery like lathes and milling machines that were built around the 1900 period as he said these were the best and turned them into CNC machines....

Best I can do is run a drill press and even then I break bits all the time...in soft wood!----6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You have heard me mention my Redheaded Stepchild- the 12 ga O/U i put together from a box of parts. Well I literally had to fit every part by hand. Lots of smoke, few light strokes & more smoke. I was very fortunate to have a classically trained old world master gunsmith looking over my shoulder!

What people don't understand about my not seeing deer is up until maybe 12-15 years ago it was quite common to see 100 a day! We have had the reintroduction of black bears and coyotes- both prey on lots of fawns and then we also had the blue tongue disease as well as a couple hard winters. Throw in very liberal bag limits and POOF the herd is gone!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not everyone has the skill to do every job. My Dad could sharpen a drill bit on a grinder to where it was as good or better than new. Macular degeneration and age have taken his skill away. I have tried to do it, and no luck. I can sharpen a knife, a chainsaw, an axe, and things like that. I can silver-solder copper pipes. Nowadays, those are dying skills.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Piller
Yes you can..it takes practice on sharpening drill bits.....they don't always come out perfect but they do come out nice....I use a small belt sander with fine grit.......I'll hold it in my right hand and eye up the angle and I'll start at the top of the belt and make one swish down...a distance about 6-10 inches....then do the other side. It only takes about 3 seconds per side and the trick is to always keep the angle right.....hold firm but easy against the belt.

I bought one of those drill doctors but they ain't worth a Pelosi for bits 1/8" or under which I use a lot. ...I'd say most I use are 3/8 on down.

Belt sanders are great for sharpening about everything.

Master Gunny...a game warden told me that bears are the number one reason for killing fawns....maybe that's why we have them like ants around here....no bears.......I once hunted bear and it was COLD and people were laughing at me.---6

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Only bear I ever tried to hunt was the type which tries to put a ring on your finger.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:42 pm Only bear I ever tried to hunt was the type which tries to put a ring on your finger.
No Piller.....that's not a bear...that's a beaver. :D Out there where Old Savage lives they call them camel toes.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

In school we had to make a drill guide, used to make certain the angles are right. I sharpen on a regular grinder.

Yes just about EVERYONE know December is just a little better than January for bear hunting! Stupidest season ever, we should be hunting during the rut in May/June! But for a $2.00 tag ill spend it just in case I see a bear.

Also known as double breastfed bed thrasher!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:35 amCouldn't pay me to do that.
Some folks actually pay money to do that! I usually get bored mid-afternoon... and head for the refrigerator!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey all! I got back from deer hunting. Was home one day and my 76 year old Mom had shoulder surgery yesterday. I am staying with her at her house for a few days. My Covid is gone. My ribs are better and I got my guns wiped down and put away before her surgery. My garage looks like a Cabelas exploded in it but SIX it. I will get them put away when I get to it. Mom is on the mend and slept ALL night through last night. She said something about a mean nurse today(ME NOT letting her do as she pleases but what the surgeon said). She is up and moving around with little to no pain. Wahoo
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff I would be bored an hour in sitting.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Went out scavenging again......lookee at all these 2 x 4's I got. Cut the ends off where the nails are and I have play lumber..to Gunny this ain't nuttin as he throws out this much everyday ----6

Got these 4 x 4's last week...pressure treated.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wood... the possibilities are endless!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

1:15......I's be hongry.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Look out mouses. A mouse eating machine is on the prowl.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Actually Six we tend to reuse lumber if it's in decent shape. Although we have been known to fill dumpsters!

That fox doesn't look hungry to me, look at the belly on it! I haven't seen my foxes in a while but I know they are here, pheasant carcasses disappear over night .

Heard from another shooting buddy last night, he is done shooting until he can get the vaccine- said he lost another friend to the kommie flu.

Fred it takes discipline to stay in a stand all day! I used to take a weeks vacation to spend it in a stand. Now I'm usually good for 4 hours on average.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No doubt, same place for an hour and I'm headed for a rib eye, cellophane fur and styrofoam hooves. ;-)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey whats this white stuff falling from the sky!? Six you getting snow too ?

Tom good to hear your mom is doing well!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

We have a white ground in Berks County.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just flurries......I opened the eyes at 11 and it be fallin' ...that's all......then got my mighty ...extremely mighty BRCC AK-47 and now I'm pumped up and have coffee muscles.........

Gonna clean up those 2x4"s and celebrate my win.....on the next page

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I win