The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: The Gun Room

Post by gamekeeper »

I went around Monument Valley in the back of a Navajo pickup that was great fun, we were warned not to go if you suffered with a bad back though... I even got to sit on a Navajo pony at John Ford Point..the temptation to gallop off was tremendous as the Navajo wasn't armed.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just how did that come about?

Btw, you win a 105mm howitzer. ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm Just how did that come about?

105mm Howitzer ... :o not exactly concealed carry ........ :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm Just how did that come about?

Why don't you grow up! What's all this garbage ..."winning a 105?". This is supposed to be a mature conversation place between grown up MEN!

Wow! So thankful my western friend can read between the lines when his eastern friend is in a state of psychosis with his alter ego. Ok, 6 is back.....

Hey dudes, what b happin'?.........Fred, that first picture with the girls standing high on the near knife edge of the rocks was no easy feat.......I was in Moab one time and my boy and me did something similar.....even though you have 5' of rock on either side of you, it's a half mile down on either side and the WIND is blowing....with me I stared to get dizzy.....I dropped to my knees and crawled back to safety all the time my boy calling me a big P.

Really neat pictures and something that is not seen everyday......notice the one in the half cave in the crevice.....that takes nerve.

Jay.....when I was in Moab with my boy he showed me this rock outcropping similar to Fred's first picture but this one was on about a 30 degree slant and people would drive their Jeeps up it with barely enough room for the wheels..then get to the top..several hundred yards.......and TURN AROUND. It would take 25 "back and forths" with nothing for a quarter mile on either side....BIG TESTICLES to do that......it was chained off when I was there ......some girl was driving a Jeep and on her way down the brakes gave out (my luck) and off to the side she went.....I was told she lived.

I got some pics somewhere downstairs......anymore I get scared backing the Jeep in the garage......age does something to ya.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I go off to shoot and you guys start another page!!
WOW did it rain on the drive out this morning! By the time I got to the range 5 inches had fallen, baby mud slides along 222, one creek was about to jump onto the road. The interstate was down to 40 mph& wipers on high hardly cleared the water!

Well we shot a 20 bird race, I broke a 15- not good enough to get in the money. After all was over I decided to shoot some practice birds, 10 for 10, Jimbo says shoot 5 more on me, 5 for 5 with 14 first barrel kills. What , who, why, when just happened here? Well ill tell ya, LOOK at the bird dummy!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! GK showed up just long enough to win a page! :D

Yeah, I'd like to get out there someday to try some of that slickrock wheeling. We got slick ricks here.. ...but it ain't the same thing. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm Hey! GK showed up just long enough to win a page! :D

Yeah, I'd like to get out there someday to try some of that slickrock wheeling. We got slick ricks here.. ...but it ain't the same thing. :D
When I was younger I used to go Off Roading in series one Land Rovers and a little Suzuki 4x4 but being in the UK it was mostly in mud, I would have loved to try out those big rocks and sand...🌵
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ugh, I'm feeling very lethargic this morning... Didn't sleep well last night.

Looks like Six,Six Point, myself an OW are all going to get WET very soon, lots of WET by the unpronounceable hurricane/tropical storm that has the weather channel all a-flutter.

How did I bruise my knee? All I did yesterday as stand around chewin the fat and pulling a trigger.

Gotta remember to get dog food today!! Someone remind me about 2 o'clock please?

Coffee is starting to work.

Guy yesterday was talking about how high his gun shoots. I stayed out of the conversation as there were many puffy chested guys claiming to know how to stock fit, not one of them knew what they are talking about. When I was finally asked directly by the guy I told him the pitch of his stock was all he needed to change. By showing him a flat shooting gun ( mine) super imposed over his gun so he could SEE the pitch difference he understood how to make changes. Then we went to the pattern plate, his gun shoots high, 90% high, he shot my gun which is a 50/50-60/40% gun. Exact same gun other than how the stock dimensions differ. Another light bulb for him. I gave him my contact info, invited him to the bunker so he can actually shoot some different guns. Hopefully he will take some time to learn and make an informed decision.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:20 am
OldWin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:18 pm Hey! GK showed up just long enough to win a page! :D

When I was younger I used to go Off Roading in series one Land Rovers and a little Suzuki 4x4 but being in the UK it was mostly in mud, I would have loved to try out those big rocks and sand...🌵
Yeah. We got mud here in Maine too. Well....mud, rocks, and trees. Try to avoid the mud. Got that outta my system many years ago.
Love the series 1 Rovers! Excellent rigs. Used ti be a fair amount of em here. Don't see many now.

Yeah Gunny. We got a downpour last night.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny......I believe most people know little about shotgun fitting.....I know about it but can't alter to suit...if you can...dunno......What I do know is back in the early seventies I had a Remington 1100 that I did not miss with...on DOVES!.....well, not every shot that was reasonable.........my chest got puffy too....so I traded it for a Belgium Browning.....and could not hit nuttin......

OK.....Jay and Gamekeeper are pretend four-wheeling and the Griff/Old Savage duo are still absent.

Funny thing Gunny.....Reading had 5 inches of rain yesterday too..we had ZIP.....but it sure was humid...

See we have a monster coming......gotta get the mighty Kubota out and fire up the diesel.....
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the 105, plenty of them came over there during the war, likely a lot still there. Range 7.0 miles. Maybe there is no law restricting you. 19 ft long and weighs almost 5,000 lb. You could ride on it. Just don't stand behind it too close.

Haven't heard from Griff.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A 105mm Howitzer with a range of 7 miles, not really very useful anymore, my ex wife used to live 7 miles away but she's moved further afield now..... :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well GK get yourself one of those great old Rovers and tow your new 105 into range of your ex- battle ax !

Got home from work and the side of Claro's face is soaking wet. I look more closely and she has hair missing as well. Call the vet and they said bring her in. She has a hot spot, now a shaved cheek and topical antibiotic as well as an oral antibiotic for 2 weeks.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry to hear about Claro I hope she makes a full recovery real soon.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks GK! She sure has been having a rough time this year. Let's not mention my check book!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Claro Lives Matter...........and that ain't no bs.......our furry friends depend on us for their wellbeing.....your doing a fine job Gunny!!!!!!...(funny thing, when it come to dogs, I don't even think about the money.) I could care less about those "others".

Well....it's a hottie today.....cut four acres on the mighty Kubota....I usually do two acres one day and the back two a day or so later. With all this rain coming I want a free mind......they are saying 80 MILE AN HOUR WINDS!....

Well, at least I don't have to worry about too many trees getting blown over. :D I replaced 6 locust trees in the same spot they were knocked down........about 30 trees came up on their own so I picked out the best, pruned them and staked them......I like trees...

LOCUST TREE LIVES MATTER!!!!!!

Ahhhhhh....worn out from bouncing around all day.....mom went to Costco and came back with a Jeep load of food. I'll pick up 15 gallons of gas tomorrow for the generator......they say it's going to be bad...---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hope the pup feels better soon Gunny.
When we got back from Alaska, Zoey had an ear infection. Few days of antibiotics and she was good as new.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Claro is going through some rough patches this year.

Sixgun, good luck with that storm. I wonder how our friends in North Carolina are doing. Doesn't Tycer live there?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

WOOHOO! 11 days on the road! 4,350 miles, one shooting match, no shots fired in anger, and only run off the road one time by a trucker! Off the top of my head I averaged just under 20 mpg... and paid about $2.00/gal average. Visited 2 of my 3 brothers, sister, B-I-L (who isn't but is my niece's Dad), former hunting partners (2 of 'em anyway, the others I can see more often), several older cowboy action shooting buddies, and Old Savage.

Met the famous "Pat". As nice a lady as you'd expect to be attached to OS! He definitely got the better in that bargain!

And saw some incredible views along the way. Got to shoot 4 or 5 rounds of "5-Stand" shotgun with another old cowboy action shooter... one of the founder's of SASS, got to stay a nite with him and his lovely bride. Enjoyed a homemade meal.

After getting stuff from my nephew, I drove down to OS's. Stayed off the freeway for at least part of the way. (I've driven up and down I-5 too many times in the past). Almost stopped in @ RCBS in Oroville, but... wanted to have dinner at Harris Ranch. Good beef... restaurants are open in CA, but only for take-out or patio dining. Not fun in OS' neck of the woods.

Spent the afternoon in LA rush hour traffic. Then visited with friends and family for a day, and attended a cowboy action shoot. Invited to come back. I declined, saying I didn't intend to leave the USofA again! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Griff seems that you had a good trip! It's nice to get away but its always good to get home too!

The rain has begun here, sure hope the winds doesn't get too bad, I've got a few really really BIG oaks that are too close to the house !

Slept in this morning, 5:15 and my eyeballs opened. Been a while since that has happened.

Claro is an allergy dog, we tried regular allergy shots but she has developed a pure hatred for needles. Now she is on Apoquel pill and Cytopoint, this is a shot but it is only about every 6-8 weeks. Cytopoint blocks the itch in the brain and is amazingly effective. She has been so itchy the past couple days that the hot spot was caused by her scratching her ear. By 8 pm last night she stopped feeling the itch- thanks to Cytopoint!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff could have signed up for some yoga in Sedona.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Some instruction on flounder preparation. This was of interest to me because I have the same knife.

Easy boys, don't make me moderate anybody ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/katsalom/video ... 592792900/

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I'm not on disgracebook, er I mean Facebook so I can't /won't comment.

When I got up rain gauge showed .33" now just 3 hours later it's at .85- lot more to come! Tornado watch in effect... Leaving in a few minutes to go install drawer pulls.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Welcome back Griff old buddy! Sounds like a humdinger of a trip! Glad you are home in one piece!

And then there's OS.........
Somehow I knew what I'd find when I clicked that link.
But I did click it. :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OldWin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:15 am Welcome back Griff old buddy! Sounds like a humdinger of a trip! Glad you are home in one piece!

And then there's OS.........
Somehow I knew what I'd find when I clicked that link.
But I did click it. :D

+1 :mrgreen:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well tropical storm itsanitwit or whatever its called is about over.
Just before noon this happened
20200804_114526.jpg
Hickory tree now resting on the roof of my shed. Fortunately it fell and rode an oak on the way down. The roof sheathing is not penetrated, cracked but not a drop of water inside!
Power is out, 46% of my township is out. Wire fires all over the place. Wonder how long before this antiquated infrastructure re-energizes...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Man! I got ALL KINDS of problems..but first, I must console my comrades on their issues........

Griff sounds like he had a good time and made money to boot! 4,300 miles???? That's the amount of miles I've driven in the last 3 years and at my current rate, would take me about 12 years to do that much. Curious Griff.......are there some states where you have to hide your guns when passing through? I know some are BP and antique but there still ammo and other things that New Jersey would give you 30 years in the pen for.

Yea....I know all about those special hiding places in big trucks.......the guys I would load for showed me all sorts of neat things. One guy showed me how he put in a false front in the inside front of the trailer.....not sure but I think it was for bad things.... :D

Sounds like you had a headache free 11 days...good for you! ....helps with the soul.

Gunny has issues I see....."Old Hickory" cut you some slack but it ain't nothing you can't fix in a day. You might be able to get a couple of G's from insurance....TAKE EM for what you can...legally of course......for the better part of my life I always felt bad about insurance claims and seldom used them unless it was absolutely necessary.......I no longer give a rats butt and if I can legally get $20 out of them I'll do it.....just look at what those separate species of sub human degenerate animals around the country have cost the insurance industry lately......

Well.....BIG problems.....look at all of the debris on the hood of mom's Jeep? (About 15k in insurance)

Flag pole broke......I have it scientifically designed to have a weak link half way up...I cut the PVC half way up and put a wood insert ....it will break at the wood insert......this way I can use the same piece of pvc for a thousand years.

Image. ( $4,000)

Now...ON TO BIG ISSUES....lost another locust tree...this one is about 60 feet high and does not look broken, just uprooted a bit.......later on I'll get out the chain and the mighty Kubota to pull it up straight and restake it with a telephone pole. Might have to bring in a bulldozer.

Image.( $60,000 in clean up fees)

Here is a better picture of the locust tree ......this was taken from a satellite and the area your looking at is about 14 square miles.

Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup I'm gonna call the homeowners insurance company tomorrow. I'm sure they is gonna be busy after this storm !!
Got the genny running, about 28 gallons of gas on hand so should be good a while. I put up gas last fall- with stabilizer and this will be a good way to use it up.
The sun is out, wind is blowing.
Just finished running extension cord for spare fridge & chest freezer as well as to the 42" tv. I've got wifi & cable so at least I can watch hunting shows@

Just give that little locust a viagra ! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea Gunny...a dose of viagra will straighten that baby right out....(you do have an imaginative thought process) :D

Why don't you just backfeed it into a 220 outlet.....it's what I do and can use the whole house ...with common sense of course...no dryer, oven, or massive use of the stove. Lights use hardly nothing....the AC, water pump, fridge all work great....mines a 6500 with a 8000 surge.-6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wow Fred.......your baiting us....that's quite some jigglies there.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

mine is 7500 watts, not quite enough by my electricians guesstimate to run everything through the transfer switch. I know I can back feed but its dangerous for people to do that if they don't flip the MAIN !

Now I'm fighting with Comcast!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah Six, older, wiser, hurricane/tornado seasoned ..
Not so easily drawn in ;-)

Keep us updated on the storm.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

JCPL ( worlds worst power supplier) called, left voicemail ( I get landline forwarded to my cell) seems 60%+ of the state is out of power. May be days before the grid is back up and running. Trees down, lines down, 85-90° tomorrow. Guess I'll take the window unit out of the shop and see if the generator will make it work well enough to atleast keep the house reasonably comfortable- I'm not counting on it!

Lost my internet connection about 5pm, posting via cell service- also poor around here.

Message from neighbor, apparently there are 'trippers' in the area trying to steal cars. Time to lock and load !

OS, Jay should be giving updates on the storm as its probably close to Maine by now. We had blue skies around 2pm.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ok....storm.
Well, it was cloudy this afternoon. Then tonight, it got dark. Then we had a downpour for a few minutes.

Man! I hope that's as bad as it gets!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

What the heck is a tripper? I've heard of strippers before but never a tripper..

Stealing cars huh? Blm's?
Model A Uzi’s
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea...quite a storm...my rain gauge pegged it at 6".....

About the only thing positive that came out of it was we had no damage to speak of and my scientifically designed emergency spillway system for the pond worked like a charm.....some guy told me 30 years ago that you cannot put a pond on a running stream because of overflows during a storm and the dam will break or eventually wear away....

The storm reminds me of the ant that fell in the toilet and lived to tell his friends about it.....he told his buddies, "first, I fell in this water......then everything got dark..........first it thundered.......then it rained......then this big log came and washed me away.

Nev mind.....I'm going back to bed.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Still no power, posting by cell service.

From our Mayor our infrastructure is in good shape but over 2000 township residents are without power and it could be many days to repair. So how is our infrastructure in good shape ?

I'm crabby, leaning towards grumpy maybe even crotchety!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Believe I went 5 days without electric......well, the kind that don't run on gas......

If your crabby just go to the drug store and get some blue ointment. Never had the crabs but I've had jock itch a time or two. Good luck and be sure to wipe off the seat with alcohol.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the welcome home guys. Good to be here! Got to enjoy my birthday yesterday in relative peace and quiet... well, except for the trip the to New Holland dealer. Today, was a trip to the dentist. Yes, pain and sufferin'. But, will all be better soon. The New Holland dealer is delivering my new-to-me tractor and bush hog tomorrow. Son has promised that if I finance it, he'll make the payments.

Also have to remove the rear driveshaft on the dually, seems the carrier bearing is worn out. Need to replace the front u-joint dust cover. And I've gotten two upgrades for the engine and transfer case that I'll tackle when I take the driveshaft to the driveshaft shop (WAY less expensive than have the dealer or even a regular shop will be)!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Griff! Quite a tour you've been on....well....that's normal for you......

Your birthday yesterday?....that's THREE things that happened on the fourth of Aug....your birthday...my 48th anniversary.....and......and .....Barack Obama's birthday!!!....

Those dually's are nice when they are running and can pull a house down but in my experience...most of my inlaws have them.....they are maintenance nickel and dimers.....--6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mine's got just barely over 89K miles. One brake job, 5 months past its 14th oil change. One a year every year since it was new, (2005). Power brake booster and it's still wearing its 2nd set of tires. My son said something's wrong with the speedo... I've yet to check it or the driveshaft... We shall see if the kid is just a car-kondriac! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Heck...that ain't bad.......89K isn't a whole lot anymore.......you and I remember when 60k was the beginning of most everything went wrong......my dad used to tell me that cars in the forties were beat and needed an engine rebuild by 40K.

Oh well...I'm beat and I'm only 66...I'm hittin'' it--6. (Lot of hard miles on me)
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well still no power at the house. Made it to the job site, 4 miles away and the power is on. No trees down, no wires or poles either.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Belated birthday greetings Griff :D I ain't wishing Obama happy Birthday the bum ain't got a birth certificate..... :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I tell ya....that Gamekeeper guy belongs on this side of the ocean.....by count, he only needs 6 more posts to earn his "Gun Room Wings". He will then get a copy of the by-laws, be introduced to the hierarchy at our monthly meeting, and will be given the special codes in which to secretly converse. Our members currently are scattered all around the country and we could use a special spy n Europe.......

Pulled a late one today...2:30!!!! Yea......ain't easy but someone has to do it.....

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

GK, our man across the pond! For sure ought to be here..

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Colonel Fred.....are we playing "old model Rugers" today? I can't see the serial number on yours so I can't spy.

You tell me what this long barreled specimen is....one of less than a thou.----6

Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for your confidence Six & OS I'll try and stop by more often, that is if I can come up with something interesting to say, not a lot happening over here :wink:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hi guys,
Griff happy belated birthday. You legal drinking age yet?
I was catching up today and a certain moderator posted a video that confused me. She kept talking about flounder and I didn’t see no flounder until the very end. What the heck? Ok gotta go rest my eyes are bouncing all over the place.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The mighty New Holland, 75hp and 12 foot bat-wing mower!
DSCN1274.JPG
Along with my new smile I got today!
new smile.jpg
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!