The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Lane's doberman Boris just got off his restrictions with the vet. Rough go before that, verb implied.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

;-) 99, well, here is a target from a .250 99 ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like that 99 is a fine shooter!

Glad to hear Boris is back on all four paws!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Who's Boris?

Light rain? At 4:00 my rain gauge shows 3.8"....major overflow at da pond.....the scientifically designed overflow protection is working to a "T", like everything else around here....

Shot 100 rds out of the low wall 32-20 when the rain was at it heaviest......experimentation.....zero issues.....could barely see the 145 yd gong through the MVA scope but the bullets were zinging in there, round and round....busted a dozen clay birds with nary a miss.

Who's Boris?....

Brawl at the bar? Geeze.....must have been over that waitress. She don't have nothing to worry about...she could just swing here chest and do a knock out.

Fred wins page 99....what do you want Fred? -------6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred...excellent powder and bullet choice in the 250 Savage.....exact same that I use in the 257 Roberts but with a few more grains of powder......-----257.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Page 99 ,1st post explains who Boris is- come on Six pay attention :lol:

4064, I never thought about trying that in my 257 AI !

So far we have right at 2.5 " of rain. Little more on the way. Doubt we will see that much more.

So last week I found a yellow jacket nest while mowing. I got off the mower to move the handicap ramp (for Claro) and saw them buzzing the tractor. I went and got a can of spray. Yesterday I mowed again and same thing happened in the same spot. This time I really soaked down the hole. Funny thing is last week Winnie would NOT go near that spot after I sprayed. Was a few days before she walked past the spot. Even after 2.5 inches of rain she still wont go near it today. Something about how it smells she doesn't like. Claro & Parker are obviously to it, heck Parker even tinkled there.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Master Gunny.........OK, now I know who Boris is...I thought it was a joke about Rocky and Bullwinkle....remember Boris and Natasha? Boris was on the same line as Wimpy, but smarter. Boris liked his hamburgers with caviar where Wimpy liked his with pig lard and ground chicken necks.

Rain?..whew....4" right on the money.

4895 gets used a lot but 4064 (near the same) for some reason brings better accuracy to the .348 and the hi pressure 25 calibers.

I buy 2+2 carb cleaner by the case...get it for like $28 at the auto parts store.....most of the time it gets used for extreme degreasing and de-carbing gun parts.....the second use is wasp and yellow jacket nests......kills em instantly...it's cheap but volatile......tastes pretty good too. If you hit a carpenter Bee with it, the bee will fly in the air about 15 feet and then will fold up.---6

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

4064, I had a Remington Classic in 250.and a 257 Model 70. In the Roberts I used 39.0 grs with a Sierra 100 SPT for 3000 fps with 1" groups. In the 250.it was 35.0 grs. I have to look at those velocities.

In the 99 if you get over about 2700 the cases start to deform. That doesn't happen in the bolts at the pressures in these loads.

The powders I found most useful were 4064, H380, IMR 4831 and RL 19 in the .243/6mm through the 270/30-06 range. Never worked with any AI cartridges. I might think something slower than 4064 but 4064 would work I am sure but might not get to highest velocities.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here they are, what is known in Cali as street tacos., pollo (chicken) and beef. Small, simple usually with an onion cilantro mix and red and green sauce.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've used H380 one of the RL , and I think a surplus powder in the 257 AI, might be a couple others- none have given stellar accuracy.

Oh how I miss GREEN CHILI! I can order it but the shipping is brutal. Colorado is where I discovered it, put it on your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Green chili goes with everything! Stokes green chili with pork- Mmmmm good!
There was a Mexican restaurant where I lived, $2.99 all you could eat lunch buffet- they would cringe when they saw us walk through the door! I'm talking real Mexican food,simple but so tasty!

Well off to the club today!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Tacos? Woohoo! I love em. I usually have em once a week but its my own twist. I just break the shells up in a BIG bowl, and add in the ingredients salad style. I like hot stuff so it is heaped with peppers and hot sauce.

Man, am I dreading going back to work tomorrow night. I have been out for 3 weeks, and even with the traveling and time changes, I feel great. I've been sleeping and living like a human and it's been a real contrast to my usual schedule. I haven't slept so well in years.

Did a little work on the old JD yesterday. Drove over ro Bangor and got some more parts. All new belts and some paint. Fuel tank is back in and started her up yesterday. Changed the oil. Have to do the air filter and rear diff oil. Sanding out and repainting the rear fenders now.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:13 am Here they are, what is known in Cali as street tacos., pollo (chicken) and beef. Small, simple usually with an onion cilantro mix and red and green sauce.
We get those here in Texas. I am not fond of hot foods. I keep to the mild stuff such as jalapenos. Yes, jalapenos are considered mild here. O.S. probably understands. When you can get truly authentic Mexican food, jalapenos are everyday normal level of spice. Habaneros are where it starts to get really hot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Used to like hot, not any more. I go for the natural taste of the food. To me the peppers are a separate thing, same thing with chili. I just salt the tacos or use a mild green or red sauce.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

piller wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:34 am
Old Savage wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:13 am Here they are, what is known in Cali as street tacos., pollo (chicken) and beef. Small, simple usually with an onion cilantro mix and red and green sauce.
We get those here in Texas. I am not fond of hot foods. I keep to the mild stuff such as jalapenos. Yes, jalapenos are considered mild here. O.S. probably understands. When you can get truly authentic Mexican food, jalapenos are everyday normal level of spice. Habaneros are where it starts to get really hot.
True!
I can do habenero ok. Once you start getting to the ghost peppers I have to go pretty light. Past that, like reapers, nope. Ain't goin' there.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea....don't like anything too hot......Tabasco sauce is a s hot as I get....even that, in large amounts will churn my guts and I'll have brown wet spots in my shorts while I'm racing to the toilet.

Street taco?...mmmmm...looks good but I'd HAVE to know where the ingredients came from.....last time I was in Colorado my boy says, "let's get a breakfast burrito" ....at this beaner place....."OK, i says".....when I started eating it it was like gristle and chewy and I took the whole thing and threw it in the weeds and spit out what I had in my mouth...."what". he says....I tell him I ain't eating that %#=*....must be the neighbors cat...............did the same thing a couple of years ago here.....eating pizza at this beaner place...I had my Donald Trump shirt on and the beaners in the back room we're hawking me out....I guzzled down my half gallon of beer and told mom, "let's go, I ain't eating this #=+%.

Replace those shaft bearings Jay!!...probably OK, but when they go they destroy that $100 belt and will keep you down until you fix it.....

Jay, my son........you notice how good your sleeping? It's called "normalcy"....over the years your mind will adapt to the hustle and bustle of providing a living....you won't even notice it......in the meantime it's eating your insides out......when you do retire, you will be lost for awhile, bit when you find yourself, ohhhhhh Lordy be, you will come to realize how you have been getting screwed all these years....just for money......it was "8 and skate" for me...let the idiots have the overtime ....they just blow it anyway.....

It's not how much you make, it's how you handle what you have....---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hear you bud!
We replaced the bearings just a few years ago. And, we keep grease guns handy! They are GTG. That old tractor gas been well maintained. Been in the family since new.

Yup. I stopped working any overtime years ago. Once you hit 50, you learn your time is worth more than time and a half......and double time for that matter.
Just got back from the range with my dad and oldest son. How can you put a price on that?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think I'm going to take up 22 silhouette shooting... I couldn't put a 2 in front of any of my scores today!! Not a good day for sure.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Heat and humidity Gunny.....it subconsciously takes the edge off.......your best scores always come on windless, sunless 50-70 degree days....we had a match today and IF I was back in the grooove, I still would not have gone.

Hey! New "invention" today.......I like to keep the garage floor semi clean....always swept but dirty......Once or twice a year I'll throw down some water and a quart of simple green and scrub it...then rinse...then squeegee..........there's always places such as stuff on the floor around the perimeter that a squeegee won't do......tried something different today.......

Put on a layer of water, couple of cups of Tide, Simple Green.......then scrubbed it with a broom...you know, lots of suds...back and forth......but this time, instead of using a broom or a squeegee I used the leaf blower.....hose in one hand and the blower in the other...worked GREAT!......blew the water out from the hard to get areas and flushed it all right out.....much easier.......the floor is now almost good enough to walk on....never good enough to eat on. :D ---6

Yea.....right on out to the door yard....
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:21 pm I think I'm going to take up 22 silhouette shooting... I couldn't put a 2 in front of any of my scores today!! Not a good day for sure.
What discipline? NRA? The NRA lever action guys are regular guys......the NRA smallbore Silhouette guys are snobs....$2,000 rifles with $2,000 scopes with Eley International match ammo....shooting jackets with their pins all over, some with Raton, N.M. National pins.......their OK but "uppity". That's the discipline Old Savage would shoot if he got into the game.....these guys usually don't have pick up trucks....they have BMW sedans with clean cut hair, no beards, $500 gold rimmed tinted shooting glasses....

One of these guys said to me last year...."hey, I hear you have a mess of old guns and lots of old ammo. I can make you a rich man."
I laughed declining his offer...told him, "you don't have enough money for my kind of stuff." You see how they look down on others?

Then there's the non-NRA disciplines which is the long range 75,100,150,and 200 meter 1/5 scale animals.....mixture of both kinds in this group but their rifles will clue you in on their personality.....

Ahhhh....another week has come and gone.....see the cat in Chicago who had his AR taken away? 100% illegal......while the violators broke the gate and provoking in a neighborhood they had no chance whatsoever of ever living in......They wouldn't have done that to me.......------1
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've never shot any of the silhouette games, no place around here does it that I know of.
Yesterday I was working on my mechanics, seriously trying to get a consistent gun mount. When I was right the targets broke with gusto but yet I could hardly get my second barrel to connect on pieces and I was missing much more than I should. I dunno what's going on, my coach now lives in MO so he is no help...
Maybe if I clean my gun it will behave better!?

OW that tractor is going to be like new by the tine you are done with it!

Didn't sleep well last night, girls woke me at 0430, I'm glad it's Sunday so I can relax today!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

;-) 105° at the course yesterday.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:41 am;-) 105° at the course yesterday.
103ºF in the back yard yesterday... which is why I waited till 1930 to start mowing it... 12 days of summer growth, what a PIA! Finished up this morning... Love the tow-behind grass sweeper, sure makes non-sweaty work of raking the clippings! I'll have to mow again before I leave out.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Probably a lot worse with your humidity.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:41 amProbably a lot worse with your humidity.
Last Wednesday I picked up a load of styrofoam cups in Lake Havasu City, AZ, it was 104º... but it was a "dry heat"... *******' HOT, no matter what the humidity! I remember as a kid being there in August and saw temps in 125º, upwards of 119º in the shade! So hot the asphalt oozed up between the toes! What I enjoyed 55 years ago, is right uncomfortable now!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Griff, hottest I have seen here is 118° in the shade, mid 90s. I have played my best golf 108-112° with a couple or three beers, looser I guess. Yesterday 105°. They are saying the same for today, may play again.

View from the beer hall. ;-)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

103 or 4 is the hottest I ever been in...it rarely reaches 100 here....it does if you pay attention to the worthless "heat index"...I want to see real temps.......

Somethin' how the temperature scale works.......everything starts to stop at 0 and 100. Maybe it's no coincidence....

92 here..outside...73 in doe. :D

Just got up ..pulled a 3 o clocker........

Late last night a truck was going up and down the road real slow......I thought he was out to get my Trump flags and was hoping he would......quite a surprise would be waiting for him....... :D
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't know how you guys do it. :shock:

It's 84 here today. The slightest thing I do and the sweat is streaming off me. I changed a rotor on front of the truck yesterday and had puddles on the garage floor.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

94 here. Humidity is pretty high. Not what I like anymore. Too many years of working with stuff that must stay below 77 degrees by law.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Aw heck you guys should try roofing! Just imagine these temps plus no shade plus asphalt shingles if ya want HOT! as soon as surface temp would hit 125° we would quit, not because of the temperature but above 125 and shingles really get soft and damage easily. Let me tell you- I DONT MISS THAT!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Around 30 years ago, I worked Summers for Northern Natural. They piped natural gas into your home. They had stations to pump it out of the ground, compress it, and send it on down the line. In the Summer they hired a bunch of College kids as dumb muscle so that the experienced crews could get the Cooper Bessemer and Delaval pumping units torn down and cleaned, then rebuilt and ready for Winter. High demand in Winter. The buildings where these were housed would get up to 125 to 130 degrees almost every day in the Summer. By the end of the Summer, we had sweated off any excess fat. Those Cooper Bessemer units used a 16 ton flywheel. 4 cylinders horizontally on each side. What a machine. Each piston weighed 600 pounds. Built simple and tough.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Here is a youtube video of them. https://youtu.be/HEP93ac0In8
D. Brian Casady
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Howdy boys. I left Friday for a week after the fourth party out where I hunt. Got back today around two. He had 100-125 people over with 56 minutes of fireworks and I ain’t talking firecrackers. Ahhh I am VERY relaxed. I was around real people not PC pukes afraid to call it as they see it! God’s country- about as far from Harrisburg life as possible and still be the same species.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

And I won a pull ticket for $100.paid for the whole trip.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Some pretty big machinery there Piller..........after I accomplish a mechanical job like a brake job, I feel like "Mr. Mechanical Genius".....the guys who figure out big machinery like that are what I call real mechanical geniuses.

Heat? 90 here today and I spent the whole day outside on the mighty Kubota.......although i cut the grass about every 5-7 days, depending on rain about once every other cut I make sure every blade of grass is cut on the 4 acres. Today was one of those days. Got everything looking like a park......the deer came out about an hour before dusk and were just frolicking out back, running back and forth.

While mowing I farted and it was so loud I heard it despite wearing earmuffs and the roar of the diesel engine. Lifted me up a couple of inches....----6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

How much is the new Kubota seat gonna cost ya???? :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:41 pm How much is the new Kubota seat gonna cost ya???? :lol:
It's fine Tom......I special ordered this Kubota with a few bells and whistles.....one was the seat. There's this company that makes this sound/pressure/noise absorbing material that they use on the NASA space shuttle install a 6" section right in the middle of the seat. In the middle of that 6" section is a 2" liquid absorber in case I get "a little extra", commonly known amongst warehouse workers as a "shart".

That's where I got the idea for the seat....we had them on all of the forklifts. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Back at work.
I am officially bumming. So much for good sleep and feeling like a human. :D
I really hoped the place had closed while I was gone. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Technology in seats, NASA wow. Who da thought?

106° on the way to the course today, best round of the year. Guess it takes about that to really loosen up ;-) But at this low humidity with a nice wind you don't ever notice any sweating.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I guess that's the same as a FARP?
I did some yard work yesterday too. Also got around to making hanger brackets for the Ranger doors. Just a simple flat plate with a 3/8" rod for the hinge to slide on to. Gets them up off the floor and out of the way in the shed.
All this humidity has my shed doors swelling, gotta get a couple turn buckles and adjust them. If I had Six's money I'd spring for an overhead door.

When I walked into the shop to make the brackets I hit the power button for the Bose wave radio and nothing happened...? So no power huh? Check the breaker- nope, unplug it and take it off the shelf and it's wet! Great now the roof is leaking! Get on the roof- no holes, but I caulked the suspicious spots to try and stop future leaks. Now if the Bose will dry out and work I'll be surprised!

That's a good question-' why would any voter trust joe biden?'
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

If you had my money you'd work with what you have......I'm probably the only person in my neighborhood who still has the original wood garage doors.....must have fixed them 20 times.....one time the spring snapped and dang near took off my head ....I heard the wind buzz by my ear......another one for ya Fred....on the guardian angel......people have been killed by those springs.

THANKS GUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I know why my tarps that I use as doors on the shooting shack no longer hook up....
Had to move the screws a full inch so they would fit in the tarp "holes"....I couldn't believe the openings widened that much.

I had an issue with the wringer washing machine leaking last night.....the gasket where the cast iron housing fits to the tub....cleaned, wire brushed, heated.........Mixed 2 tubes of JB Weld along with a spray of Flex Seal.....

Cheap rubber seal only lasted 60 years....

My daughter just stopped in with "her" two Frenchies.....10G's worth of dog....crazy.....my niece is a globally known breeder of these dogs and my daughter has been babysitting them for the last couple of months.

Like I told you people....I'm surrounded by money but none of it breaks through the barrier to me......just the way I like it......I prefer comfort and simplicity over "what others think"......
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. "Makin' Do" has been a way of life here for centuries. It can be kind of fun and made a sport of but it's more fun when you know you don't really need to do it.
I know a few people with money. Some are really good people too. When I meet these people I always ask myself if I'd trade places with them. It is always no.
The sooner you learn that money isn't what makes people happy, the happier you'll be. I never begrudge people with money because I generally wouldn't do what they did to get it. Not that it is wrong or underhanded...... I'm just too lazy. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It is much smarter to be happy or content than to be always hungry for more. Lots of things that I can say would be nice to have, but not much that I really need.
D. Brian Casady
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I just booked a hog hunt in Georgia for my Birthday weekend in February. My son, both Brothers, and three very close friends. Hot diggity dog,err hog.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

What you gonna use T-Bone?

Wanna borrow the BAR? man! You'd be the center of attention with the most hogs. If ya raise the muzzle a bit you might even bag a few protesters. :D

Sprayed 6 gallons of weed killer today.......-------6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks Jack but I think I am going to use the suppressed 45-70.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hellloooo! Where is everybody today?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Here!--2
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

What?
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ready????!!!
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Number 50..the WINNER OF PAGE 100 gets the .....the.....

44-40

Merwin & Hulbert!!!....I think I'm gonna win it as the next post will be number 51

Model A Uzi’s