The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by fordwannabe »

Ok I REALLY need an 1890 Winchester so this may take multiple post. It was not a negligent discharge per se but I did shoot the window sill inn my parents house when I was younger. Mom and Dad were home but the 10/22 I had was pretty quiet, and we will leave it at that. My lab was raising a fuss because there were two squirrels running around in the tree right next to my bedroom window.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I grabbed the 22 and using the bipod rested on the inside of the window ledge took aim at the tree rat and at the last second he ran down the tree about four feet. I adjusted the gun and blam. Very loud! What the? :?: looked at the gun, don’t see anything. Looked around and found a bullet hole in the outside sill which made a lot of noise as it was being made! Oh poopie! A certain homeowner is GONNA BE MAD. Whatdoido whatdoido? Were you gentlemen aware that Colgate is a fine substitute for spackle? And the identical color to the window sill paint at an undisclosed location in Pennsylvania? Haha. Never did get the squirrel
Ok I don’t care which one of you sends the 1890 but please be prompt. I haven’t gotten a new old gun in months. So step it up brother!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Buddy of mine shot a fairly expensive oil painting of a piliated woodpecker, same family and his brother shot the fake beam on the kitchen ceiling with 22 birdshot, he also touched off the 22 hornet standing in the kitchen. I was there for that- LOUD!! When they sold the farm it was bought by different friends of mine, after they moved in I told them it was time to play Find the bullet holes. I knew where they were ! Oh and i saved the fake beam.

I dont have an 1890.
Tom I might be out your way next weekend- I will be in New Tripoli tomorrow! If ya want to take a ride...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:50 pm I have more than one, personally I dont really care for the AR- it has no soul as far as I'm concerned! That being said they are a very efficient and easy means to send ammo down range. If the threat is out thar a bit then yes thats the choice but in close give me my Benelli M1 Super 90 with 00 buck . That great big 3/4"hole at the end sure does get a lot of respect!

Guess Lehigh county has finally given in- gun club is open tomorrow- I goin shooting Sunday!!
Self-defense and AR.
In the house or out of the house?
I have a friend that argues the AR is the best thing for in the house, I just don't agree (but he likes Glocks to so).
I set up a Fadal and pushed the button bought some parts and put it together. Unfortunately the AR like anything Government low bid is build the absolutely cheapest way, I'm not fond of them but I just had to have one of those "Ghost" guns. Now AR style 22's, those are just downright fun.
I also keep double 00 in the house for defense, anyone that hears a rack slide and doesn't leave is nuts.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

David...most criminals cannot be reasoned with and they also don't have fear as most are drugged or alcoholed up. They won't even hear you rack the slide. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO USE it a handgun is by far the best in the house weapon.....there's a lot "what ifs" that will happen during a chaotic moment.

They will be fast and furious and will not give you a chance to do much of anything. They will most likely know you and know you have guns. I'm not fumbling with a long gun. But........that's me.

Anyway, on to fun things....Tom, here's your 1890. Bring a mess of Ben's as this one is a long rifle.....you won't find one of those easy, especially one with like new new bore condition and perfect mechanics. Also have a 62 here that only needs a box to call it new...like new 61, 63's,....bring cash.-----6

Been hanging on the bedroom wall for 40 years.

Model A Uzi’s
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Keep the Sig by the bed the shotgun in the closet. I sold a collection for a guy and he gave to me a 500 (JiC style, pistol grip with marine finish). I'll rack that at the top of the stars rack it they come around the corner to come up it would be difficult stairs climb. They can steal anything downstairs I can get a new TV or whatever it's just not worth the grief. It would take a pro to get into my safes I just don't expect that there's multi-million dollar houses around here, they aren't going to bother with my shabby.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's a smokin' 1890 Six!
Don't have one. I have super clean 61 and 62. That's it.

I'm not a big shotgun guy for anything, let alone defense. Takes 2 hands to run, slow to load.
I'm not giving ANY warning. All they will get is split nanosecond of intense light for target ID, then a fusillade from either the Glock 21SF or 10" 300BO AR the lights are fixed to.
Those are my 2 main house guns. Nothing I'm attracted to and easily replaced, yet utterly reliable and ready to go.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay...thank you! Now, on to business.....officially David wins the Model "90".....the "18" was dropped sometime before this example was made in 1913.

Tom was asking for an 1890 so I called his bluff.......let's see if he posts for the next few days. Now, YOU, as a special person in my book as you also like Jeeps, plus your more redneck than the other guys, especially that well-to-do highly educated golf club swinging, soft stuff squeezing, has drinks with the little umbrella in them, always has fashionable clothes on, never swears, clean shavin', hi class gated condo living, sports car driving, along with a professional smoking hot wife and two smoking hot daughters Old Savage. Oh! Forgot to mention that with the exception of a couple of working guns, his collection are guns NIB with paperwork.

Now, David will most likely wind up with the Model 90 as Tom will be AWOL for awhile...so you better jump on it. $125 plus shipping....forget the shipping, I'll deliver it if my Jeep will make it that far---6

On a serious note I'm getting worse since I drastically cut down on watching the news. "Idiot" is fast becoming my first name instead of a nickname.

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

For $125 I'm on my way right NOW!!

Jay did you get the video clip I sent ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hold on! If a week with no news makes you an idiot, what does 30 years of no news make me? :D

Doh!
Gunny I didn't recognize the number! I deleted the dang thing. Resend it and i will enter you in my contacts. Sorry bro! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:16 pm Hold on! If a week with no news makes you an idiot, what does 30 years of no news make me? :D

Doh!
Gunny I didn't recognize the number! I deleted the dang thing. Resend it and i will enter you in my contacts. Sorry bro! :D
Jay......30 years and no news does not make you an idiot or worse yet, a nobody. . Your still a fine young man......I understand your dilemma and there's no way anyone with half a brain could blame you for not keeping up with current events because electricity has not reached your area to power radios and TV's. I also don't blame you for not reading the newspapers as you guys up there need them for the outhouse.

On a REAL NOTE, I never thought about Maine being hillbillyish until you told me...and it's NOT. Most all states in the mountain areas have their hillbilly territories. But I tell ya, you have given me plenty of laughs ....the very best was the one about TV ads showing used cars in the grass in front of people's homes. "Dooryard" is good too. The blue ribbon goes to the story about your teachers who educated you in your senior year that the world was flat and you all believed it and how nobody in Maine ever graduated from high school who was less than 30 years old.----your pal.---6 :D
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's all true buddy! You should come on up!
I tell you, you'd love it! :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

WHOA there big fella! I won page 90 and I want that rifle. Call my bluff huh. Be careful or you may see Moby in your NEAR future.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Too late I already called DIBS!! :D
Somewhere I have a Remington 12 receiver and a few other parts, I should track down parts and restore it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:05 pm Too late I already called DIBS!! :D
Somewhere I have a Remington 12 receiver and a few other parts, I should track down parts and restore it.
Ooooohhhhh! Parts guns! I like a fun project. I did a 92 Winchester up one time. Neat.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

92 parts are much easier to find than Rem 12 though !!
But yeah color case it, fancy wood - itll be great !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I go outside to take Miss Apple for a walk and you guys are chatting away.....now that I'm back you will leave again. Thanks pals!

Jay......I think your area would be nice but a bit too uppity for me...for real, I still burn our trash and bury engine parts in the ground....well, I don't bury them, I just wing em where it's soggy. I even have a pet cemetery with 18 dogs in it....you know that....

People are aghast when they see smoke coming out of a chimney as we burn wood to heat the house.

Jeeps where everyone else has a BMW or a Mercedes and if they have a truck, it's a 70k one..but....the bank really owns it along with their 5,000 sq. ft. McMansions.

But ya know the funny part of it all? I cut grass which a piece of machinery that's worth more than their entire equity. It's bought and paid for and they have payments on outdoor furniture and use a credit card to buy groceries. Fake........90% of them are FAKE...they want people to think they are DuPont's.

Yea....."Deplorable" REDNECKS RULE!.........

Saw a fair amount of Deuce and 1/2's going up and down the road....
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Uppity? Haha seriously dude? I'll send a few pics.
Mist people here burn wood cause they already have it.
In the summer, everyone has a firepit on the lawn and sits out at night drinking beer around the fire.
No Zoning.
Some live in campers.
The southern end of the state?.... yeah. There are some uppity folks down there. The bulk of the state is pretty rough. More miles of dirt road than paved. By a lot. :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

When the first Mrs FWB and I wanted to build a 40x60 barn on our property in rural Maine, we found out the hours for the town office ( IIRC four hours a week) and went to apply for a permit to build. They had no idea what the crazy people from Pennsylvania were talking about. She kept saying “you are planning on building iron your property, right?” “Why are you telling us about this thing you want to do to your property?”
Yeah Jack, it’s very different and lovely cept for two things, THE FIRST MRs FWB, and BLACK FLIES/MOSQUITOES.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom....there's a Gunshop near the gunclub I belong to that has a half dozen old Marlins.....mostly 1893's....38-55, 25-36, 30-30 and a couple others. Two are takedowns. I'm not interested anymore so I thought I'd throw it by you....besides I don't pay retail :D ..mid teens to low twenties on the prices.----6....o...
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You're a good guy Six.
Sounds like a good tip.

Where's my coat? :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Maine, different place. Look at a map. Upper part of the state is largely devoid of paved roads. Great times up there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Model 60 ;-) like this one, haven't shot it yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a lot like here I lived in CO, only paved roads were in town, I25, highway 350. When it rained the roads were like Vaseline mixed with axle grease with just a bit of sand- slippery don't even come close to describing it!
My mod 66 serial number starts with BHB- the call letters for the Bar Harbor airport!
I used to deer hunt Millinocket area.
Six if you only knew- Jay and I were texting back and forth while you and Miss Apple were on your walk. Come to think of it I was texting with Tom too!

Well today is the BIG day- bunker opens up!! Chef Andy is bringing home cured pastrami- me likey pastrami!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, I see you boys have been up to the usual hi-jinks... passing other folks guns around, braggin', showin' off and generally hiding out, avoiding everything! Me, I've been out amongst 'em! Drove from southern GA back to TX, putting health and life in danger to bring the good shoppers in TX more paper towels!! :P :P :P

AYE GAWD is it HOT here! Put my trailer in the shop to fix a hole some mangy cur of a forklift operator put in it... and it'll only cost me $7K to fix it! Or, I could spend around 12-15K on a newer piece of junk that has an unknown amount of care or lack... Naw, I'll stick to the dog I take care of!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah those shady lift monkeys can really do some damage!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Barrel/frame mating on the Model 60
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

The 60...357 o 38?

Doing damage to trailers has been a life long past time and subject for conversation in the warehouse. To my many buddies who were owner/ operators I took special care for these guys.....everyone of them had a special way they wanted it loaded as to singles in the nose, sometimes a double then a single, double and another single.....we took care of these guys but.....

Like all union guys and rednecks in general is that if you didn't fit the profile of an American we were very destructive.....the Russians were the worst...they would work for $5 an hour and drive junk that shouldn't be on the road undercutting the good guys and driving down the wages of guys who needed it.....then there were ragheads who specialized in screwing everyone around them for a 5 cent gain....the Ukrainians and other eastern Slovak trash were about as bad as the Russians....if they were decent and talked decent...no problem......BUT they always wanted an edge over the professional American truckers so we made sure their trailers were worth a little less each time we loaded them. My fellow buddy workers all said I was the best and most devious.....not all forklift drivers were privy to what was going on..........................

Some fellow "workers" had to kept in the dark as they were rats and would run as fast as they could to the boss to start trouble and gain seniority.

If a trucker like Griff came in we would make sure he got out of there with zero damage to the trailer or the product but only during times when I handled the paperwork or if the proper guy was at the dispatch desk..we all worked together to take care of AMERICAN truckers who knew what the word "professional" meant.

Yea.....the head honchos were happy when I announced my retirement...most everyone else in the forklift dept. with the exception of two guys had the intelligence of a box of rocks and the loyalty of a rattlesnake. The one guy I still talk to tells me the other guys ask why I never stop around to BS with them...been 4 years in 23 days since I left and good riddance to my fellow backstabbing rat "fellow" workers.
Model A Uzi’s
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:59 pm WHOA there big fella! I won page 90 and I want that rifle. Call my bluff huh. Be careful or you may see Moby in your NEAR future.
Knew I had a picture of a 1890 somewhere, this one originally belonged to Slim in the Cody Museum. I sold it long ago...
21992804_10214033734946825_2830851500263266189_o.jpg
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I could the truck up Saturday, this morning I drove 65 miles to the club. Set the cruise at 65, shot all day and set the cruise for 67. I get home and run the numbers, 4.94 gallons of diesel, 133 miles that's 27mpg!!

On the way out this morning I'm on the interstate and all the traffic in front of me brakes hard and pulled off to the shoulders- 5 PA Troopers with lights & sirens are coming East in the West lanes with 4 or 5more in the east lanes - all going about 90. Dunno what was going on.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man! Talk about condition! What's with the 'engraved '75? Engraving looks period. 44 Remington caliber?

Gunny....how did you know how much fuel you used as it don't make sense to fill up for 5 gallons........you mean vehicles now have a "how much fuel you use" gauge?

Haven't seen any foxes around for several days.....the wife told me we've been getting a new visitor lately...Michele Obama....she stopped by tonight. I've never seen one like this but I don't see too many...maybe 4 in 45 years living here. I tapped on the window and his tail raised....sucker ate the cat food....I let her be.....--6

Addition....we have lots of action around here tonight....must be the moon......a fox showed up too.....this is a buddy of Jed Clampett.

These animals are our friends....and for the most part the only visitors that are welcome.

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No I did not refill the tank. Believe it or not there is a phone app, the app shows a percentage of fuel remaining. I know the tank holds 26 gallons, 26 X 81% = 4.96. 133.5 miles divided by 4.96 = 27 .

I refer to possums as 'Pennsylvania Road Otters' , long story to explain. As for skunks, I see them out sun tanning on the roads but haven't seen a live one in a long time! All the pheasant carcasses I put out are gone the next morning, my foxes love those! I see them sneaking around- the girls don't like them so they sneak.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:35 am No I did not refill the tank. Believe it or not there is a phone app, the app shows a percentage of fuel remaining. I know the tank holds 26 gallons, 26 X 81% = 4.96. 133.5 miles divided by 4.96 = 27 .

I refer to possums as 'Pennsylvania Road Otters' , long story to explain. As for skunks, I see them out sun tanning on the roads but haven't seen a live one in a long time! All the pheasant carcasses I put out are gone the next morning, my foxes love those! I see them sneaking around- the girls don't like them so they sneak.
We had a possum I grabbed it by the tail, my wife is kind of city folk she freaked out a bit, I told her if they come up to bite just shake them.
My neighbor has camera's everywhere and he caught me chasing a coyote with a knife after they were looking at my dog a little to close, can't shoot them here in town.

The 1875 is 44-40, I've only had one or two in 45 they are quite scarce, you can tell a real 45 from a converted one, they cylinder will actually not swap. You can spot them a mile away once you've had a couple the space behind the cylinder is different. I had a unfired 1875 all it was missing was the box for NIB ;) I'm fond of 1875, 88's, and 90's.
Actually that might have been an 1888 not an 1890 now it's in the book I could check... I avoided the 44 rimfire 1875's, I wouldn't really have if I found the condition.
I had a 98% original blue, now that was pretty. I've never seen even seen a box for an 1875, 88, 90, I assume they made them? I've had boxes for nearly everything else.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:05 pm
Rube Burrows wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am
I love seeing you guys who will display your guns in open wooden racks and other various ways. I don't trust neighbors enough to do that. Maybe if my house was set up different or more away from neighbors I would be more inclined to do so. Great look.
Hey Rube! Nice to see you stopped by for a visit. Yea...hang around...this is the non PC fun post where we don't do nothing except have fun and tell lies instead of slopping up the regular board with mindless entertainment. Everyone is invited to chime in and yes....there is lots of info here and we share solutions to problems. Except for me there's lots of learn from the other guys.

We mostly stick to the old guns and what it takes to make them tick. Here you will learn how to fix fences, change the oil in your tractor, load cast bullets in a cross bow, or even learn how to download the 50 BMG to shoot sparrows!

We back up our lies with pictures and other mindless innuendo. :D ----6

Oh! As to displaying our guns in open racks.....they come out of the safe...picture taken...and back in the safe...but for the most part our neighbors are like us......funny thing, a nasty storm just blew through and knocked out the electric....
I walked outside and was bs with my cop neighbor ........we were discussing the nation's dilemma and he said, "Geeze, they'd have to be crazy to come in our neighborhood......in the surrounding dozen houses there must be a thousand guns and a million reds of ammo to feed em.......we don't pay games here...you loot, we shoot. :D
I know just what you mean. On our family land in Alabama it is like that. Here where I live in South Louisiana......not so much. I would not trust most of my neighbors. I am ready to get back out in the country also. I was raised on 250 acres in North Alabama and my father and brother still live there but I ended up down here for work and then a girl and then a family. I did marry a girl though that comes from the same type of family and we have plans to move to her family land which is in our area and about 100 acres. I miss being able to walk outside and shoot without having to put much thought into it. My father and grandmother's driveway prob. has as much spent brass as it does gravel. Now when I want to shoot I have to plan it out and go to my wife's family land. That is not too bad but like Saturday, I wanted to try out my new 1851 Conversion so I loaded up a couple hundred rounds of .38spl, got all my stuff together to go shoot and got up there and realized I forgot all the bullets. Wasted the day.

We are almost ready to sell where we are and build on her family land though.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

David...yes...the 1875's had a box.....when I was about 20 .......1974......I was at a local gun auction with about $200 in my pocket hoping to get this 1892 in 25-20........didn't get it.......the highlight of the auction was a NIB 1875 Remington.......nickel........real shiny.......I was only able to look at it through the glass showcase but it stuck in my mind all these years secretly wishing it was mine and that some day I'll have one like that.......still remember the hammer price..$800.....probably equal to $8,000 today......it was in a box similar to the old Colt single action boxes of the first and early second gen. guns...but it was a long time ago and the box may have been "just a box".

Never did get me a '75 like that..had to settle for a Colt. :D

Well, the mighty Kubota came home today.....I've got work to do......

Gonna run up to the P.O. first but first, I've got to get dressed...10:40------6
Model A Uzi’s
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:40 am David...yes...the 1875's had a box.....when I was about 20 .......1974......I was at a local gun auction with about $200 in my pocket hoping to get this 1892 in 25-20........didn't get it.......the highlight of the auction was a NIB 1875 Remington.......nickel........real shiny.......I was only able to look at it through the glass showcase but it stuck in my mind all these years secretly wishing it was mine and that some day I'll have one like that.......still remember the hammer price..$800.....probably equal to $8,000 today......it was in a box similar to the old Colt single action boxes of the first and early second gen. guns...but it was a long time ago and the box may have been "just a box".

Never did get me a '75 like that..had to settle for a Colt. :D

Well, the mighty Kubota came home today.....I've got work to do......

Gonna run up to the P.O. first but first, I've got to get dressed...10:40------6
I won't comment on modern Remington handguns (a....) but antiques the Remington was clearly a better firearm then the Colt until the end of the 1890 (1895ish?)
When I was walking gun shows if I found a pre-1899 box for a Remington, Colt, S&W, for under 500.
Two of those boxes paid for a year of college for one of my daughters.
The right box can bring $20G.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well David..........I hear ya on the boxes....more on that later in the evening.....got the Kubota back and I have 4 acres to cut......went to the P.O. and it was there as in $.....will PM you the particulars later.....maybe today and definitely by tomorrow.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've never had an original anything... just replicas for me. Tho' I do like my 2nd & 3rd gen Colt SAAs! Started on cleaning up the garage today. Then it got hot! Patio thermometer sez 98ºF! just a little cooler than yesterday!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Griff...your forgetting one huge original...the Black Rose.....what's it new..$125-150g's......do you realize that if you just sat around the house, living like a protester, how many originals you could have had? But thinking logically it would be a bit tough loading 22 pallets of goods on one of them, even paper towels.

Sad night......the whole time on the Kubota (3.5 hrs) the only thing I could think of is the Low Wall...bye little buddy...going to a new home tomorrow. .......I always thought I'd die with that gun but on a brighter note I'm gonna buy me a spanking new Volquartzen and have a mega custom heavy match barrel put on it. I'm gonna buy my way to first place on the long range silhouette matches.

That Low Wall was always an attention getter at the matches and held its own against model 52's, Anshutz's, etc.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

There has only been 2 guns that I lament giving up. First was my beloved Rem 3200 Competition, heavy, clunky, and 140+ internal parts that wore out easily but that shotgun had stellar wood! Prettiest factory wood ever.
The second was a Mauser I put together, 6mm Remington , Douglas air gauged barrel, Claro walnut stock. This was the receiver I color case hardened- it warped when we quenched it at the rear bridge. Tried to twist it back into shape but cracked the bridge. Annealed the receiver, straightened it/ welded it up sent it for commercial heat treat. That rifle was a true 1/4-3/8" 5 shot gun even with the problems. Guy saw me shooting it and had to have it.

Oops, I forgot the Beretta SO4 , yup shoulda kept that too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6mm Rem., one of my favorite cartridges. Have one in a Ruger 77R. Many adventures with that one, has about 1450 through, rebarreled once by Ruger.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:54 am There has only been 2 guns that I lament giving up. First was my beloved Rem 3200 Competition, heavy, clunky, and 140+ internal parts that wore out easily but that shotgun had stellar wood! Prettiest factory wood ever.
The second was a Mauser I put together, 6mm Remington , Douglas air gauged barrel, Claro walnut stock. This was the receiver I color case hardened- it warped when we quenched it at the rear bridge. Tried to twist it back into shape but cracked the bridge. Annealed the receiver, straightened it/ welded it up sent it for commercial heat treat. That rifle was a true 1/4-3/8" 5 shot gun even with the problems. Guy saw me shooting it and had to have it.

Oops, I forgot the Beretta SO4 , yup shoulda kept that too!
I have a beautiful Remington model 32, I don't shoot much but I just got one of those fancy flingers and I'm taking it to my range.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup the 32s are nice guns, nice enough the Germans borrowed enough to copy for the Kreighoff. Then some dim bulb at Remington had to go and over engineer and thus the 3200.
My 3rd year of gummsmiff skool the final exam was to draw 2 guns out of a hat, we each got a complete gun of one sort or another ,we had to scatter it completely and hand it off to get a pile of bits & peices to reassemble. I dont remember what I took apart but I called it ahead of time that I would get the 3200 and I did get it to reassemble. I did it in record time! I had just rebuilt my 2 and I practiced before hand.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Guns we wish we still had? Not many except for a few old single action Colts. I usually had to buy and sell ten to be able to afford the keeper. I looked at the guns I bought and sold as nothing more than tools to reach my eventual goal.

Is what hurts are reaching the age where the keepers have to get sold. The 1895 I recently sold Jays son and the more recent Low Wall sale to David hurts but the sting is taken out by knowing they both went to good homes. Yea, as far as I'm concerned good guns have a soul.

What really hurts are the ones I passed up or didn't have the loot to buy at the time...like that military cartouched Henry, the full factory engraved ninety nine percent Triple Lock Target or the like new in box Remington eighteen seventy five. ......sometimes this iPad locks up and I can't get numerals......

Got to get my azz in gear and accomplish something...four twenty and can only say I went to the post office and ate my four eggs.........Six
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well if it's as hot there as it is here STAY IN THE HOUSE!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:59 pm Yup the 32s are nice guns, nice enough the Germans borrowed enough to copy for the Kreighoff. Then some dim bulb at Remington had to go and over engineer and thus the 3200.
My 3rd year of gummsmiff skool the final exam was to draw 2 guns out of a hat, we each got a complete gun of one sort or another ,we had to scatter it completely and hand it off to get a pile of bits & peices to reassemble. I dont remember what I took apart but I called it ahead of time that I would get the 3200 and I did get it to reassemble. I did it in record time! I had just rebuilt my 2 and I practiced before hand.
If they always wanted someone to fail they would put in a Colt Lightning. WAPOS!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

David wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:18 pm If they always wanted someone to fail they would put in a Colt Lightning. WAPOS!
I've always been confused about the 2 Lightnings made by the same company....well, the handgun version was a name the public gave it......I had a like new 41 Lightning with checkered rose woods.....early version.....I used to shoot it with black and a hollowbase bullet from a Rapine mould......I shuttered with fear and worry every time I pulled the trigger waiting for something to break ....I sold it.

The Lightning rifle version is a whole 'nother smoke....I've had a half dozen of them and still have three in three calibers...the 38-40 has logged 3500 hard rounds as in fast cowboy use, not the severity of loads...who knows how much it was shot before me but I've never noticed any wear or premature parts breakage.....the 32-20 has been a play gun logging 1700 rds. with no issues....I don't shoot the 44-40 as it's the first days production as in serial number 58....I've shot it just to make sure it works. It's had little use since being born under the blue dome.

Well....yes..ITS HOT!!! I took our little Shih Zhu outside for a walk....thirty seconds out the door my wife starts screaming at me,"you jerk...BRING that dog back in the house....what the hells the matter with you???!!!" Geeze...walked back to the house with my tail between my legs...waiting for the frying pan..the cast iron one..........I've never felt free...first it was my mom and dad, teachers, bosses at work, my Italian wife..... :D
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Howdy boys. Well what a whirlwind week. For the last three months we have been excluded from nursing homes. On Thursday they mentioned that the feds are going to require each of our NH’s to have an in person on site infection control survey by the end of July, buuut there will be a couple weeks of training and education blah blah BS. In the meantime on Sunday I was helping a neighbor lady with her car , good A/C in back and drivers side but hot as blue blazes coming out passengers side. What a pain in the arms, couldn’t get to the actuators for the blend doors without tearing my hands up. I also helped a guy with spark plugs and coil packs (sorry Gunny). Then early Monday we get notice that we have three NH that have a deadline of THIS WEEK.😳 What happened to a couple weeks of training? TRAINING will be Tuesday and Friday. Ok Friday for me...nope email, you need to sign up for Tuesday, because of your previous experience as an IC nurse. RATs. Go to the computer to sign up and my account is messed up. No problem I emailed the customer service team at 10:30 AM. Here Is my problem blah blah bs. I don’t hear from them so I email again at 1:00. At 2 I have my buddy who is taking the same step1 of three video conference Skype me so I can watch the dumb presentation on his screen, through my computer. I still don’t have authorization for any of this. At 4 the head of the service team calls and tells me to “just create an account using your home email because your work account is messed up. Really? that’s customer service? I go through the entire PITA sign up process get authorization for the training I JUst watched, and a notice that the medical questionnaire is to be sent imminently. Waiting waiting waiting, no questionnaire. I go to bed but get up in the night d/t low blood sugar (64) and check email. Yup the questionnaire was sent at 11:39 pm. Fill it out I received the approval at 0747, for a class an hour away at 10:00 am today for a training and for testing for the respirator we will be issued AND unbeknownst to me I was added to the train the trainer class so O can now fit test the office🙄 I then go to the office to get my PPE supplies. Get home at 4. At 430 I get a call a coworker and I are going into a hotbed TOMORROW. Call the boss uhhh what are we supposed to be looking for? Well what did they tell you in the training? NOTHING this was only about PPE in fact there wasn’t anybody from DOH there except students. So my coworker and I have spent most of the night studying for a survey for tomorrow. Ain’t working for the Government fun. I mean with all this forethought and planning no wonder Pa is in the stuff hole. There I feel better thanks for listening. Rant off.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, where have I been?
Pulled the deck out from under the old tractor to have some work done on it. Gonna do some tinkering on the rest of it too. Thirty one years of hard use and she is still going strong.
I don't have many guns I wish I'd kept. That's why I don't have a lot of awesome guns like Jack. I never could bring myself to sell 5 of something to get one better one. So, I ended up with a small pile of junk. :D
Gotta start tying up loose ends around the house. Getting ready to head to Alaska for a couple weeks.
No, I'm not going to see my son, DIL, grandson, and brand new granddaughter............
I'm going to get my dirty mitts on that sweet 95 Jack sold my kid.
You know, it's probably still chilly up there. Better bring my buffalo coat. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No worries Tom, but you did miss home cured pastrami sammiches! The Ammo can wait until Saturday and if ya can get that stock all the better! Yup I'm going to be in Bernville.

Jay I do believe there are buffalo in Alaska, maybe you can pick up another coat for me?? :lol:

Well the crown moulding is done, I tell ya mouldings made with maple are a pain to work with! Sure it has a great finish but even nail guns have trouble setting nails. This stuff is glued up and a good part of the stuff is warped and twisted and very hard to get outside corners tight- then ya gotta fill open miters- PITA !
Today making beaded paneling.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!