The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

Dang! Just missed a page. Gunny wins.
After I shot the 73, I ran my little Trapper 44 I did the half cock conversion on. I was going to switch to H110 in this gun but the 4227 did better than I thought it was doing. I was wondering if it was position sensitive but it wasn't. May stick with it for a while.
Old dad came along too. Ringing steel at 25yd with his 38 snubbie. Not too shabby. He rang a few at 100 with a 20" 94 too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I like 4227 in my Bee, 41 mag too! Not sure if I ever tried it in my 44s... cant remember last time I shot my 629 ! I should remedy that .

Good to see your Pops out there with you burning powder!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay.....that's more than accurate enough....2" at 50 or 4 at 100 is fine.....a Marbles/Lyman tang sight will be the way to go...with a .060-.080 rear aperture......an ivory front bead ...and you will make meat!

Your 8 of Unique and the shown velocity duplicates the old BP load and smokeless load before about the eighties.....today's stuff is only 1050-1100......leave the bore dirty.....no need to clean it out.....takes a least 5-15 rounds before it will start shooting good.....

Master Gunny.......how do you like my invention? Mom's in house phone charger broke a wire in an unfixable place so I got the one out of her Jeep and rigged it up with a 12 volt battery from a Makita impact driver.....charged it right up.......she lives on her phone and I guess it's too much trouble to walk out to the Jeep to charge it there.... :D ....our Staples is closed so this will have to work until she decides to order a charger off line.

I was talking to the "other Master Gunny" today.....we were laughing like crazy talking about "those" who seem to make up the majority or coronavirus spreaders. He's headed to Idaho for elk this fall and I declined the invite....too long for me to be in a vehicle.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy. I'm real encouraged with these results.i may play with it some more but if this is the best I get I'm good.
I wasn't being real serious. I was mostly seeing if it would shoot. Only fired 5 rounds and started on a clean bore. It has a beautiful bore so it should be a shooter.
Seriously considering hunting with it this year. Cody is coming down to hunt with us this year so I can't wait.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay...WHAT KIND OF A GUY shoots five rounds out of a gun when he goes to the range???? ...you can't hurt it!!! Dang! I thought I taught you better than that!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

For real son.......ask Griff...when we were shooting one day he got the 1873 and I forgot how much he shot it.....I know I've logged 2500 or so out of it......

If you don't want to shoot it, can I have it?---your pal/dad forever----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha well I didn't want to load a pile of em if they didn't shoot man! :D
I had a bunch of others with me to shoot too.
By the way, on the box those slugs came in, you'd written "commercial cast". You don't remember what they were do you?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! Now it shows on my phone that I have the first post on pg.79!
See! All is right with the world. :D
What do I get?
Oooo. Oooo! I want Six's Kubota! I have a bunch of work for it up to the lot. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok, take the dang thing......after you reach a certain age, material items don't mean nothing. Just changed the oil in it too....cut the yard with it today and I saw my neighbor peeking at me......he can be half way through his yard with his John Deere as I'm just starting mine and I'll finish and have the tractor cleaned off and put away and he will still be mowing.......he has asked me many times, "can I have it?" I tell him to GF. :lol:

Oh, the bullets...yes, I remember.....they were commercial cast bullets that were .431 and I didn't have any that I cast that went that large so I gave em to you...can't remember the brand......sometimes I see these things for sale and the .431 diameter must have caught my eye......

I've had a few 1873's over the years and the ones in 44-40 all demanded .431....I only have one now and two 38-40's which I like better but the one 44 I have is a keeper as the bore is pristine and shoots into 2" at 100.....meters....with a tang sight. The one 38-40 I have shoots better than that.....for real.....the other 38 I don't shoot as it's pretty much new.

Put a tang sight on your rifle and load it with 6 grains of bullseye and it will stay in 2 at 100....1873's are very accurate rifles, more so than '92's.---6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I will snoop around for those bullets online. They look good. Some have blue lube, some have red.
I also have 73 in 38 (which I prefer also), but its a carbine. It too has a shiny bore. All the rest if my 44s and 38s are 92's, and one 89 Marlin in 38.
Yup, I'd say these bullets are sized perfect. If I remember correctly, it slugged to the large side of .429. The .431's chamber no problem. She feeds slick as snot.
Still undecided if I will put a tang sight on. I don't have one for a 73 here. Wish I did. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was kinda thinking you made a charger of some sort- either that you Mom ran out of spaghetti! :lol:

Yeah what the heck- I WAS this page winner, since I got bumped and you are giving Jay the Kubota I'll need the Kubota here for a couple days then it can go north. :D

Guys with big bores got to the range and only shoot 5 rounds! I've got more 375s to test, 4895 with 250,270& 300's.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Room

Post by Old Savage »

Six, here is what you need for your log and pond operation.

https://www.facebook.com/Survival.amazi ... 571917224/
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

First....I'm in trouble....later.......

Fred.....that's what I call an operation........how come the people walk so fast? I want that little boat, the one the guy used to push the logs around in.....little bugger is fast!

Well Gunny.....that spaghetti thing ruined mom's phone...she up up today.....like me...around noon....and her phone is blank...I only put in 12 volts, the same as a car....oh well..... :D Who g.a.f?....she was whining.......I told her, "you only talk to your sister and she lives next door and besides, you have the landline." She kept whining....blah...blah..."..."I hope your guns get rusty." I said, shut t.f.u. and go out and buy a dozen of those stupid phones!.... :D -----

Well boys, got to go outside and check on the logging and bridge operation....make sure all my workers are doing their job....--6

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That little boat reminded me of a cutting horse, looks like a fun job... :D
Sorry to hear about your wife's phone, I once wired up a car battery to a portable radio, never heard such load music for all of five seconds... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Phone be fine........is what happened was the donor battery ran out of juice so I was trying to charge the dead phone with a dead battery....

Howdy Gamekeeper! Yea...that little boat is cool...I'd love to have that for playing in my little pond......I could chase the frogs around......---6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Checked those 44 bullets. Slip of paper Six wrote on in with them said "commercial cast .430". They mic a little over. From looking online, they appear to be Meister bullets but that's just a guess.
I'm going to load a bunch more.
The other weird thing is I'm getting about a 100fps MORE than the Lyman manual lists for this load in 4" less barrel. Usually, it's the other way around.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well at least you didnt fry the phone! I have a phone case that is also a backup battery, on Amazon and they are cheap! I used to have a solar case- yup just toss the phone solar cell up on the dash or window sill and you were making juice. That was fairly cheap too.

We were building a dock today. Only 6x8, the people at the General Washington house needed a new one. This is the ONLY dock on this reservoir except for the state boat launch.

Jay you are using newer powders, tighter bullets pressures are higher.

Ok gotta check out this boat...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Heck ya could put that boat in your bath tub!

Though for sure that orange truck was gonna go turtle!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tom, sure hope your wife didnt smack ya upside the head ?!? I ordered a 250gr 375 2 cavity from Amazon after we hung up! Not a gas check but for 22 bucks why not !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Industrious young man from Costa Rica opens home Body & Paint Shop during the covid shut down. I ask you who won?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dunno, I'm confused...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:20 pm Dunno, I'm confused...
Yea....me too...but I get easily confused.....thanks on the phone stuff Gunny...I'll pass the info along as I don't have a phone and never will..

Jayster.......most commercial bullet makers get their moulds from the same manufacturer so who knows who made dem...

I also have a 6 cavity mould from Lee which makes a .430-.431 bullet......I can pump out a bucket load in an evening...I just have to get started. You can buy one of these moulds for cheap....mine has cast 4-5 thousand and is still good....

Fred......who won what? I see California plates on the cars.....your neighbor?---6 how does an "industrious young man" get a nice house and a Mustang? Maybe pictures can be deceiving.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I am surprised. Look closer, little humor. ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You guys could be stuck on a beach somewhere.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oooooooohhhhhhh.......I use an iPad so I have to stretch it to see the car on the table! Ha!

The babe......Elizabeth Hurley ......smokin hot!----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The license plates ????

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My first impression was the guy is from Costa Rica and doesn't pay taxes and spent a bunch on a mustang with enough let over to buy models to assemble :D

I've got to find a hunk of lead to slug this 375, hoping this mold will be good without needing a sizing die... Those you sent were 379 I think? Gotta measure them again.

Coastal flood watch?! Ugh I'm tired of rain.

On my way home from the job yesterday I noticed a public golf course was open and the place was packed! Sure hope they open up the gun club soon!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Fred I see it now.6 won. I am not a smart man.
Gunny if ya need a die for that Inhave a couple in that range for my 375 and 38-55. A small envelope away!
I will heal eventually. Didn’t need sutures just some derma bond😎
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Did I miss something? Tom......sutures?

Master Gunny.....get a sizing die......while you don't need the sizing die it suuurrrreee makes it easier applying lube...and gas checks.....yea...anything close will work for most shooting....sizing makes it easier to use the same bullet in multiple/specific guns and other reasons. Yes, that last sentence makes sense.

Ok.....what's on the agenda for today? Mmmmmmm......anything we want to do!---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just taped it back on, doing ok ... one week.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What the heck did you do ?! That looks like it kinda hurt...

Thanks Tom, guess I'll wait for the mold to show up, pour some and see what these actually mic, might not need to size em, although this might give me the excuse to start powder coating... who am I kidding- doubt I'll shoot this 375 enough to get that involved.

Got the rest of the dock framing done this morning, 6 barrels attached, 20 foot bridge assembled. Then the rain started- tomorrow we float the dock!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack I was just funnin as Gunny was on the phone with me when the former cop and current Mrs FWb came our to leave for work with a scowl on her face.
Gunny powder coating is sooo simple. Even I can do it. A toaster oven a plastic tub or two and some anti stick aluminum foil about does it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Says .379
8E31D8F1-535B-490D-8D40-392D88A1EE66.jpeg
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The mold is 379-250, what it actually throws we just have to wait and see, if I need it I'll let you know. Roger easy enough even a gummsmiff can do it ! :lol:
You didnt tell me she was scowling- hope she dont thump me in the head whenever I get the chance to meet her ! :lol: :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Loaded 138 45 Colt with Six's 231 formula.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Nah Gunny others are safe. I am her usual target But after 15 years we mostly have peace.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What other calibers does 231 work in ? Seems to me this might be a good powder to have on hand.

Whew, I was sweating having my head bashed in by a PR24! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

She mostly behaves. I use 231 in 32 long colt with the heeled bullets.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Don't bother me...I'm watching FURY!---6

Gunny...I sized your bullets .377 for the .375 hh.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

231 can be used for all pistol calibered guns...you won't break velocity records but it'll work for most everything......a well known gun writer uses 10 grains of it in a 44 mag...for everything......it's all he loads in it.

"The Twinks" says "hi".---6....she's blowing her breath on me.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I read somewhere that W231 was developed specifically for 30 carbine. I use it for that and it works great. It can also be used in 300BO .
Like Six said, it is a pistol powder and is usually listed for quite a few cartridges. Like all ball propellants, don't load it too light.
I think it's real close to H110.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Roger .377, sure hope miss twinks don't have doggie breath! :D
I'll have to look at 231 data , if it works in a lot of stuff it sounds like a good one to have in storage er I mean inventory.
Woke up at 12:30, only 1 dog on the bed, tossed a bit but fell back to sleep. Then about 4:50 the freight train of hounds came up and woke me again, stayed in bed till the alarm went off at 5:15. Normally I don't hear or feel them get on the bed.

The Supreme Court has been flushed! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

My fine friend.....NO!.....231 is fast!...it's in between bullseye and unique...closer to bullseye, but not as explosive or as they say in the professional field of ballistics.....does not radically alter pressure with minuscule added amounts.

Dang Gunny....not a cloud in the sky...crystal clear.......it's picture day for Google Earth.....

Of the top of ma head I 'lieve it ''twas win 296 that was made for da carbin' cartouche......

Think I'll wire up the tree I saved the other day to keep it from falling...--6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh YES! It was 296 that was made for the carbine! Sorry man. I tell ya, I'm losin' it. I used to be so sharp.......not anymore. That is also the one that is real close to H110.
Got 231 and 296 mixed up.

Well, we thew the boat in and went and checked for fiddleheads this afternoon. Still a little early, but picked a 5 gallon pail. Saturday is supposed to be crappy. Talking an inch of snow here. Ten inches up north. :shock:
Like to pick a few more tomorrow before they get frosted and get killed off.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Jack. Just saw this on FB on the Maine deer hunters page. It was taken in 1910.
Saw that half mag 94 carbine and thought of you.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Then I found this old picture of me when I was 6.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

6, looks more like a 7 or 8 year old!
296 & H110 are the same, as are 231 & HP38 ( read that this morning, HP usually cheaper too)
Well we floated the dock today! Let me tell you 6 30 gallon plastic drums are WAY more flotation than a 6'x8' dock needs ! Was like standing on top of a beach ball ! We pulled 1 out from under and set it under the 2x12 double bridge, made it ride a bit lower and a bit more stable. Of course I forgot to take a picture ( my phone was streaming Sirius on the job radio)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay.....looks like a '94.....I have this book that has a picture of the biggest whitetail ever shot...354 pounds......back in the fifties........was shot in Maine with a .33 Winchester......big deer up your way....probably because they get to live a long time as there's too many people shooting inaccurate half mag guns. :D ....naaaaa...the author said they live a long time because it's thick country.

That's you in the pic???!! Looks just like you..... :D

Gunny.....some years back someone told me about using drums for a raft....very unstable.....if I remember they had to partially fill the drums with water to lower the balance point....---6

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Maine doesn’t have many deer (compared to some other states) but it do have big ones.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:39 pm Maine doesn’t have many deer (compared to some other states) but it do have big ones.
Truth. It is not a sure thing to tag out here. Far from it.
However, things have changed a lot in recent years. More people are putting in food plots on private property. The traditional way of free range hunting is slowly disappearing. I still hunt this way because I choose to. I shoot less deer, but get a lot more satisfaction from it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes the drums are very unstable! In this case they had these from the previous dock, didn't want to spend the money on new flotation so we just reproduced what was there.

I hunted ME back in the late 80's, I only saw 3 deer, a doe & fawn and a big 8 point that a guy put a 444 through the eyeball!

Well a day off today, weather is not supposed to be good, not to mention we are slowing down some.

Dealer is starting to push a new truck, my lease is up in August. If I sign for a new one I really want the Eco diesel, a few other must haves, however if I decide to not get a new one I have to figure out the financing of the remainder of this truck...

Ah well, what to do today?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!