The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:55 am Well Six, a little philosophical decompression then. If it exists it hardly matters who owns it if it is not you. Cash in the bank or in a mattress hardly matters after you have a certain amount. But a walk up tailgate gives you another option and since the $3,000 is relatively meaningless to him as it sounds like money will never be his problem.

So the rest of the world is just a show in some respects, let it flow by without disturbing your internal chemistry. ;-)
I like that Fred......never looked at it that way........probably because nothing of any value ever came my way without paying for it one way or another......I may have got a lot of good deals but a lot of learning came with it......make sense? Ok, if a gun was worth $1,000 and I go at it for 500, there was a lot of "schooling" for the 500 I saved and schooling don't come cheap.

That's why I looked at that "probably more than $3,000 tailgate" and said to myself, "what a waste of money" but he does have a very large amount of loot but he's no happier than anyone else I know.

Yea....a lot of the world is "just a show"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! Six wins pg.74

Award yourself a model 74 .22.
Sorry, I don't have one to give you buddy. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea...had a pick up ('71 Ford) at 20 years old after a few muscle cars.......I was the first in my age group and at the plant to have a truck.....in those days, you were considered a hick/hillbilly if you drove a truck.........then a 4x4 pick up until '96 when I went Jeep all the way. Half the size and half the maintenance.....no more 8 lug wheels and 8 more to look at the brakes. Simple trailer hitch and a 5 x 10 trailer for when I need to carry something...and carry more with a trailer...and a lot lower for shoveling out...I'll never own a pick up anymore.

Hey! Gunny's right, I win ....big F deal...the way I feel today nothin can cheer me up.....this "on the cusp" of a storm is paying hell with my Meniers.....ears are ringing something terrible. Just might be one of those days when I drop a few Klonipins and sleep for 48 hours...
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh..sorry...it wasn't Gunny...it was Captain Jay from Jay, Me.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No worries mate!
Sure wish we could post video clips directly, I'll just have to email it to ya Six- it should cheer you up some.

Feel like I've been in a desert for 3 days, all this cedar dust has me dried out something awful! 3 trash cans of cedar dust & chips in a couple days. Cedar is mildly toxic and all 3 of us have been feeling it !

Yup more rain, sucks! Although last night we had a snow squall come through and it was just like a January storm, couldn't see 30 yards! Guess I wont get to shooting the H&H tomorrow! Aw heck it's been a 25 year project, what's another day ?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ears ringing? Mine too! Have been for a couple weeks. Sinuses bother cause the weather has been up and down. Been spitting snow on and off all day.
The old man dug "Old Red" out. My Jeep is still on the jackstands in the garage. I like to wait till a good bunch of rain washes the salt off the roads.

Cheer up Six! Everything will be ok for people like us. First, you are in control of your surroundings. Nobody is gonna take your house, your vehicles, or your cool stuff. You got what you need to survive and to defend what you have.
Fear not! It is better to live and die as a free man standing on his own than to live a thousand years as a spineless worm.
If it gets bad down there, round up our buds and come on up! We'll put up a compound up to our lot to stand off the hoards! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Say no more- I'm on my way NOW!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:09 pm Say no more- I'm on my way NOW!! :lol:

Yea..hear dat Jay???????.....we boff bes ona way wit nuttin' . We come wit truck and Jeep and yo provide everyting else...yo hear?

For real.....on a serious note......it's getting to me...in a negative way......yea, we all here have everything we need...food, drink, space from others, health, loot, guns, etc.....but ya KNOW WHAT chaps my hide more than anything? .......

First, I'm not trying to take the moral high road but when people feel pain.....pain as a result that's not their own behavior......
I tend to feel it too........we are watching on TV people in their cars waiting in a miles long line.......WAITING FOR FOOD.

There's no reason why ANYONE should go hungry in this wealthy nation we live in. My guess is 90% of people who have food or can afford food or can get food somehow WILL NOT take advantage of free food by waiting in a line......most of these people who are waiting are hurting......kids are crying....

Maybe it's guilt.....us guys here have it all.....billions of dollars from our taxes go to stuff that makes no sense....(NASA..GOING TO MARS ...)........there just has to be a better way to get money or food to the ones who need it.. just what is $1200 which I don't know anyone who has received it.....

Me and mom are sitting here looking at these poor souls who are desperate to feed their stomachs.....I personally don't see any of it where I live...sheeetttt...I'm one of the poorest here in my neighborhood and even peon me made it clear to my wife's family that if their back is to the wall, I'm here.

People are cracking....our government should be stepping up to the plate in a better way
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I don't want to see hungry kids either. Cause a kid is never at fault for that.
However......
When you expect the government to fix problems, you can guarantee there will be more suffering by the populace.
It's dependency on government that makes people turn into these pathetic creatures.
Remember, that government that tells everyone they will protect them, was the same one saying they weren't going to come when you called.
Good folks raising good children to be good people who can stand on their own have always seemed like a minority. There are still many millions of them out there.

History is a great teacher.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well without having to catch up JB, I found that #26 Hodgdon used a Ruger 7 1/2".likely like mine. But powders I never have used. Hmmm? But with my bullet.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay..I'm with ya...that's why you and I don't have any issues...but lots of other people don't through no fault of their own......

Opening things back up?.....yes, we have to....many people just can't hold out any longer...but at what price?

Fred...what you be talking about as to powders?

What I do know, is that even without testing,.... Bullseye would have produced better results than 231 in the 85 gr fiasco I experienced yesterday.---JB
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

J they only list their powders. I got into it using the powders I have. Not doubting any of your advice. I have used a good deal of Bullseye and if I buy anything it will likely be that now that you have alerted me to the issues, thanks again. I will have wait til the range is open to test. In the mean time I have to watch computer seminars for 12 hrs tomorrow for relicensing.

Just like people want to use 3031and 4350.for rifles while I use 4064 and 4831 they are on different half octaves.

So my best guesses considering what I had turned out to be very erratic. We will just have see how that all behaves and go from there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Maybe with the warmer weather of Cal. and tighter tolerances of your Ruger, the results may be different/better......I was a bit amazed yesterday as 231 is a fast burner and was not expecting that. Bullseye and Unique are made from the same formula but Unique has something done to it...(over my head) that slows it down.....that's why Bullseye and Unique always work well with greatly reduced loads...lots of nitro in them......

Oh well, I ain't no ballistician and only know what I've read and using what I've read into experience. I still don't know the science behind it all.....lots of guess work. ---Jay Bird forever....thinking I've had enough.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Coatings and shape affect burn speed. Humidity can affect powder weight if it has been opened. Dry and hot here with most of my experience. You are right, could affect things. One of the eastern boys accused me of smoking something on my reported 6mm velocities. But dry powder weighs less so could be more volume. I chronoed a lot of different things so I was confident of the results or ... he just didn't know what he was talking about. :shock:

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Powder that still smells right should weigh the same within its own humidity level in any part of the country.... When I set my powder measures to a new charge .....and I have 4 that I use........I record the setting into my master book.......from the first setting I maintain that volume often getting different weights from a dropped charge......I leave it alone......we have wild changes in humidity where you are mostly consistent.

That why when I wrote in another post some time ago that I will use old powders that no longer smell good...Its just dried out....I think. :D ---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Humidity out here can be 7-11% commonly in the summer. Winter can be 90%. Had some old 322.that turned 400-500 fps change in a 444, turned to looking like rust. Odd experience, but also some very old 4831 changed to where burning kernels burned the plastic shield on my Chrony. But, what I am using is newly opened for these projects.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Freshly made powders can have extra drying agent still in place. The last 8 lb jug of 700x I bought was made in Canada, eh, and it was in a lot of high drying agent( acetone) and it was a bit more than 8 lbs. just crack the cap and let it sit and the acetone evaporates.

I know when I lived in CO, with lower humidity and higher altitudes everything shot differently! We would shoot our 22s to 300 plus without huge hold over, heck I'd keep my 77/22 sighted in at 150! My 17 Rem with factory Ammo was a good 4100+ , here at east coast 1000' and WET air the same Ammo would be 3900ish.

AS for bullseye and unique they put dumbocrat toenail filings in it to WEETARD the burn rate! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny......I remember dat too......I was shooting a .22 over water at like 3-400 yards and I could find the splashes.......here, I was holding like I did back east and was shooting waaaaaayyyy over. Dramatic difference.

Cold and miserable.....wish this S would end.

Video was on there with Obama endorsing Biden.....funnier than anything.....I can't figure out how to post it here
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Has anyone seen this man ?
Last seen stepping over a yellow plastic chain.
Hair On American Buffalo Bison Long Coat with Pockets Front _500x500.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

He is probably somewhere down by the nearest pond. Just dig a little.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The way the weather is today I wish I had a buffalo coat myself!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:53 pm Has anyone seen this man ?
Last seen stepping over a yellow plastic chain.

Hair On American Buffalo Bison Long Coat with Pockets Front _500x500.jpg

Hey! Thats a better picture of me than Six's! I'm at least holding a Winchester in this one. Thanks GK. :D

Just got in. It was warm outside (49 degrees) so I got out and did my raking. I was down to a T-shirt in no time. Looks like spring may be here.
Old Red is out. Rubicon will be out this week. Be fiddleheadin' in a few weeks.
Things are lookin' up.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yes Gamekeeper...I have to step over the yellow chain.....it's too much of a PITA to unhook the chain that also hooked to a Claymore. After the Claymore goes off it's designed to open the flood gates and the moat around the compound...err.r...house....

Ya know somethin'? . Even though I spend most of my time at home, I know I can always leave to go to the gunclub etc and right now it's not the same taking a drive and looking over your shoulder......I was thinking of going to the gunclub as I don't see any "keep out" notices on the website but............we are not supposed to leave unnecessarily and I want to do my part in keeping order.....

Shooting outside with subsonic ammo just ain't the same as emptying magazines from the BAR or an AR and shooting "unstructured" instead of shooting through a stupid tube at known distances.........

I truly feel for the ones who are in cramped apartments with a mess of kids all whining.....and having little food or other things in the way of comfort or distraction from this S......
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J-Bird, You ain't alone in that bud! I'm going to our gun club after the weekend. My niece sent my son & 1 home-made masks. Let me tell ya, I tried (and finally succeeded in making one), it looks like a pile of pooh!

Mine:
Hers:
I gotta go stock the fridge again tomorrow.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A balmy 33 F here this morning, no wind... Could it be the day to spark off the 375? Gotta sight in the 450 bushmaster after swapping scopes.

I had to got get dog food yesterday, the staff is shopping for the customers- public not allowed past the counter. I also had to cash a check, drive up window only but the tellers inside were wearing masks.

Sure hope whoever made that mask from checkered boxers washed em first :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Actually got some stuff done yesterday. Got to run over to the old man's today and cut a big limb off an oak he has out back.
Man, a buddy from work texted me pictures of a bunch of guns his grandfather gave him. All NIB.
Beautiful Python, Diamondback, Gold Cup, several Winchesters. There were a lot of them.
Man! Maybe I should get a DNA test. It is Maine after all. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No dont do that OW- that would mean you would have to buy MORE birthday and Christmas presents!! :lol:
Well I have the 375 ready to go, the 450 too. Battery in Chronograph- check, ear muffs check, tripod for chronoy check, sandbags in the truck check, ammo check knock out rod check, cleaning rod check, what am I missing ?

I hadn't realized it but this Argentine Mauser with 26" barrel is LOONG@ 48"- just barely going to fit in a case!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

12 hrs yesterday on a computer seminar on xray, ethics and law and extremity adjusting technique. That is over for this year. 7 am to 7 pm. Bet you want to know the seven things that must be in every chiropractic case file in Calif. Or how many signatures are required on informed consent form or a HIPPA authorization. Exciting stuff!

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff...good thing I read Gunny's post before responding.......on the lower left hand corner of your plaid mask I see a chit stain.... :D .....ona positive note, your skin healed up nice...great!...

Reminds me...gotta change my underwear sometime this week....hopefully by Wednesday.....got all three types of human secretion on em.....nasty I tell ya..........

Good ole Old Savage sure is a productive citizen.......on a serious note, I have become VERY lazy in the mind since I retired, relying on old learned knowledge and have become unwilling, now unable to think through more learning curves....Fred..I'm proud of you...you don't have to work but you stay at it....it's a sign of a great and high up mindset.

Yes Jay.....collections have been coming out of the woodwork since the middle nineties and were heavy until somewhere around 10 years ago......all that "after the war" money made it possible for the average guy to have more than a couple of firearms....now, I'm seeing collections twice that size with some going over a couple of hundred guns....

Well Master Gunny...looks nice out today...for a change.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well the 375 has spoken !! Tried 3 loads, 27.0 5744, 10.0 700x, 80.0 cfe223. The 5744 and 700x were as you can imagine very pleasant!!
I gave it the old look through the bore/ scope bore sight technique and started with the 5744 loads.
20200419_104449.jpg
shows promise! Then I went to the 700x loads
20200419_111116.jpg
more promise!
Then I abused myself with the 200 gr bullet and 80 of cfe223! I only shot 3 of these! I felt my neck protest on the 2nd shot- the flinch! On the 3rd I had a good trigger squeeze and a headache!!
20200419_110944.jpg
This load is supposed to be right at 3000 fps and yes it's about a foot high and a bit left of center!

I was surprised by the amount of stretch the cases have with the light loads! What's my protocol for resizing ? Just bump the shoulder back ??
Gotta find lower pressure loads for jacketed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Looks good Gunny.....like real good for a starting load.....keep in mind that in order to get the very best in accuracy with lead bullets, ALL of the jacketed fouling has to be OUT......and then it can take as many as 15 rounds to foul the bore with the lead and lube before they shoot like they are supposed to....this is for accurate rifles...I never noticed a difference with lever guns or handguns...too much bother.....

As a rifle chambered in 375 H&H does not get shot much you probably don't have any fouling.....and like you wrote, "first shots ever!"

Damm..that's really good....I see your first shot was a sighter and #2 shot was close and then the next 3 were close due to fouling.

Keep your brass separate.....I would only neck size and just size down equal to the caliber....375...it's all you need. ....and use a bigger expander than you would use with jacketed.....chit, your a machinist.....turn one out at .374 or 5

I spent the entire day cutting down the huge willow tree that fell out back during the tornado.....it had TWO trunks about 30" in diameter and was on a 45 degree angle as other trees kept it from falling all the way down...TALK ABOUT TRICKY CUTTING!!..there were a dozen different pressure points from all of the different branches leaning on other trees....very scary as it's hard to tell where it's going to bind..and fall.....tons of wood can flip around in a split second and go a way you were not expecting and crush my 65 year old testicles to a pulp. Needed TWO chain saws as I blinded up the Stihl a half dozen times. I need a Klonopin....still shaking a bit....but.....I got her done and saved a few thousand.....now it's going to be a month picking up and burning the huge branches...willow is worthless as firewood....heavy when wet but like,paper after it dries out.

Over and out---De 6....sore 6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good reminder Six, the fouling I hadn't thought about! Yup I doubt this will get much use unless I get a wild hair and take it for elk critters in CO or I go up down east to shoot a bear or moose by that Ol buffalo coated Jay!
I'm going to research more load data, try to find something easier on my shoulder- really don't care for heavy recoil anymore!

Yeah willow is junk wood unless you are making slingshots or baskets! Leaning trees are scary business! Helps to have an extra saw handy.

The Mauser has/had very hard bolt lift today, I found the bolt shroud had a burr in it from machining. Not my doing but I think I have it chased out with a bit of 320 grit lapping compound. I need to take my 338 bolt apart and compare the machined surfaces...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good job Gunny. Getting a good cast load gives a way bigger sense of accomplishment than a jacketed bullet load IMO. Lot more factors at play with cast.

Glad you got the tree down safe, Six. You are wise to use caution with cuts like that. It can go bad real quick. Many have been killed or hurt bad here from cutting stuff like that.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks Jay......you should have seen me...I was proud of myself climbing up on an angle in the tree.....chain saw in one hand and a hatchet in the other......the hatchet was for climbing ..ya can't trust willow branches........my 180 weight is pushing it....could just imagine if I was a 350 lb heavyweight carrying a double cream filled chocolate donut with sprinkles in one hand and a Starbucks latte in the other....crrrraaaaacccckkkkkk. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have cut a couple of trees. Probably not as many as you guys. I have no desire to be squashed under a bunch of wood. Caution is never a bad thing when dealing with trees that need some work to get them to ground level. A friend of my Dad got his back broken by a tree branch about 40 years ago. He was paralyzed from the waist down. Caution is not a sign of being a wimp where trees are concerned.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tree work, 2nd or 3rd most dangerous profession for sure! Friends used to do tree work, one day PJ was in his harness about 20' up trimming a fairly large branch over a house. He trimmed it in pieces so his brother could lower them down. As he was trimming the last piece from the trunk- it swung out and slammed into his calf . He was wearing his spikes and they probably did a lot to lessen the impact, he was bruised from ankle to knee.
During hurrican Sandy I had a nice hickory fall on my shop, it hit at a rafter and stopped but over the top of my shop, PJ volunteered to swing from a headache ball to cut it up. Fortunately I knew a guy with access to a crane truck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey! I saw what you wrote old man! Just for your information I have never had a latte. Have a lariat but no latte. AND if you’re gonna have a double chocolate donut it MUST have sprinkles.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Still chilly outside.....Monday's.....everyone hates Mondays......got to go get a $56 money order to keep the state happy.....am I late? Oh well, let em sue me.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, well, look what I just found hiding in my office.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Fred.....you sure do seem to come up with them.....THATS very desirable...as is that Lyman 45th manual....in my opinion...and NOT humble opinion, the very best manual ever printed.

What is it with books printed in the last 25-30 years?......they fall apart ....I've got books that are from the 1900's that still stay together........another of life's mysteries? :D --6

I got to go outside and activate my mind ......this "in the house" stuff is for tarts.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes! I have that manual. Have used it a LOT!

Well, well! Look who is back!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lyman 45 was the favorite of the fellow that previously owned my 99 300 EG. 32-20 is in the obsolete cartridge section. I also like #46. Maybe I can come across some 32-20 tong dies.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Lyman 45 was the favorite of the fellow that previously owned my 99 300 EG. 32-20 is in the obsolete cartridge section. I also like #46. Maybe I can come across some 32-20 tong dies.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmmmmmmm...Hi Jay........

Page 75?
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Started assembling the handrails today, lots of figuring but now we have a routine that is working well, now we can ROLL out the rest tomorrow!

I think I have #46 or 47 and yes it's a favorite, although the new hornady book has good data too !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The question came up, why the 85s. Well here it is. Bought 1,000 of them 30+ years ago. The idea was to duplicate this Federal load.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah that explains it! I got one of the original 32 Rugers, almost sorry I didn't put more than 1 box of S&W shorts through it before it became the donor for my 44 special!

Man I had a piece of chocolate frosted cake last night- heck of a time to fall asleep... Even with a little Irish sleeping fluid! Ah well I'm only short a couple hours- I'll survive! :lol:

Wow it's gonna blow again today with rain and T storms! And that's why I can't stand the Weather Channel- now fashion tips to keep your hat on during a storm ' ponytail through the back of your hat'

Oh well
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny, any experience with 1886 conversions?
Jack any knowledge of what has to be changed to make a 1886 from 45-70 to 50-100-450???
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Cant help ya, only experience I have with the 86 is my buddies grandfathers orignal 40-65.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I also have a Lyman cast bullet manual.