Favorite sixgun barrel length?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Favorite sixgun barrel length?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What's your favorite flavor and why? I'm thinking mostly of the traditional Colt/Ruger lengths -- 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, 7 1/2 and that looong Ruger 10-inch barrel on the SBH that silhouette shooters used to like.
While I have had a couple of scoped Super Blackhawks with the 10-inch tube -- and they were wonderfully easy for me to shoot well -- they weren't much fun to pack, even slung over the shoulder.
I increasing have found the 7 1/2 longer than I like as well. I guess my first pick would be 5 1/2, and this would be a packing/hunting single action.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Favorite sixgun barrel length?

Post by AJMD429 »

A 7-1/2" Super Blackhawk just seems perfectly balanced to me, perhaps because it was my first revolver as a kid.

The similarly-sized Redhawk is.....even better..... 8)

The only other gun that just 'balanced perfectly' was a Charter Arms 357 Mag that I forget the barrel length on but seems like it was six inches. It belonged to a friend.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For general use, 4.75" (4 5/8" if Ruger), for specific hunting use 7.5.
Never cared for the 5.5" barrels.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I like 4.75 best. Of course, both my Colt SAA's are 5.5. I'd sell em but that's the kid's favorite length.
The longer barrels I can only carry crossdraw, so they never get used.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Of the choices offered... 4 5/8". Without question.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

For a working farm gun, 4 5/8" is the only choice for me. For a dedicated hunting gun I'll pack anything up to a 10 1/2" Ruger Maximum as long as I have a proper rig for it.

Eric
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

Most of mine have 5.5 ". For hunting I like 7.5"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Depending on the revolver but between 4” & 5”. I particularly like 5” tubes on S&W N frames. Of all revolvers they just feel best.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

General carry in the woods 4 to 4.5 ish depending on single action or double. I have a Redhawk with a 7.5 for deer and hogs that is wonderful as long as I don’t have to get it in service quickly.
Semi’s also 4 to 5’s.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It all depends on what your using the gun for....each need has its most efficient length, therefore there are several "favorites" according to need. The longer the barrel, the easier it is shoot accurately. 2-4" for carry... 4-6.5 for all around packing and hunting at normal handgun ranges....and the longer barrels for serious long range work.

Everyone has different eyes and some guys like 4-5" for general "work". I personally prefer a 5.5 on a Colt S.A. Have killed deer with 4" -6.5" guns. and about any normal length for silhouette shooting out to 100 but after 100 I like the 10" Maximum.

If Pocahontas or AOC wins in 2020 and says we have to have one barrel length, I'd probably say 6.5------....6
Model A Uzi’s
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:06 pm What's your favorite flavor and why? I'm thinking mostly of the traditional Colt/Ruger lengths -- 4 5/8, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, 7 1/2 and that looong Ruger 10-inch barrel on the SBH that silhouette shooters used to like.
While I have had a couple of scoped Super Blackhawks with the 10-inch tube -- and they were wonderfully easy for me to shoot well -- they weren't much fun to pack, even slung over the shoulder.
I increasing have found the 7 1/2 longer than I like as well. I guess my first pick would be 5 1/2, and this would be a packing/hunting single action.
What ever I find at a bargain price. So far three of my single actions have been 5 1/2 ", which I believe I have come to prefer. My 7 1/2" inch Virginian Dragoon is certainly easier to handle with heavy loads than my 5 1/2" Supper Blackhawk. My Single Sixes are 6 1/2 " because that is the way I found them.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

4-3/4" best, and a 4"S&W. And of course there's the 7-1/2" on my 1851s. Far too long on just about anything else... except the 9" Patersons!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This'un
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I only use barrels long enough to get the bullet out of the gun. THOSE are my preferred lengths and I will not compromise! Though I will admit to firing a gun or two that did not have a barrel, that was just for testing.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I like 4 5/8 the best. I have a set in 5 1/2 incher too .
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

For SA revolvers something in the 3.5" and 5" range. Many of mine are right in the 4" - 4&5/8". I have a Ruger Bisely in 7.5" that is just a range toy just because its so big.

For DA revolvers 3" for concealed carry. 5" for field and hunting.

Yes I'm that weirdo who likes those. IMO 2 inch is too short for my eyes or to index well for point shooting. 4 inch is neither fish nor fowl but a workable compromise, and 6+ inches is more hassle then its added performance warrants.

For autos …… 4"ish like those found on 1911 commanders, M&P compact, Glock 19, etc.

But that's just me. I freely admit I fit into a minority niche on this issue and the majority of the market has clearly shown its preferences and mine don't match.

Wm
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

In the SAA, which is my favorite revolver, there are 10 with 4 3/4" bbls. verses only 2 with 5 1/2". There just aren't any 7 1/2" in my possession currently yet I recall with fondness a pair of 125th anniversary 7 1/2"s that I shot SASS with for many years. If I could get that front sight on the target it was hit. Burned a lot of black powder in those two. Current favorite has a 5 1/2" bbl. but I wish it was a 4 3/4".
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill, for a packing or hunting companion in a SAA designed pistol, I'd go with either the 4.75" or the 5.5" myself. I have both, and can't say either is better, or if I even notice the difference. But I'd stay away from longer barrels myself. Just not as handy for my uses.
I like the longer barrels in my S&W DA revolvers though! But not for a packing gun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894c

Re: Favorite NON-sixgun barrel length?

Post by 1894c »

Four inches is my favorite NON-SIXGUN barrel length...unfortunately I do not have a single revolver, haven't had one in awhile. Nothing but Glock 19/17/26. I've gone back to the Gen 3 as a service auto...I apologize for the slightly off-topic response... :)
f1glk19ngen3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

The last reply begs the question.....

why no revolver ?

I cannot intellectually fathom this but them again i own flintlocks and

caplocks which others do not....

And there are those who delight in hurling pointy sticks, which I do not.
m.A.g.a. !
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Ray wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:20 am The last reply begs the question.....

why no revolver ?
Been carrying a Glock, or some type of striker-fired auto pistol since 1996. I serve in a LE Agency so most of my shooting is with an auto pistol--I did start with revolvers back-in-the-day but we transitioned away from them in the 1990's. Even when I go hunting with a levergun my side-arm is usually a Glock 19 or Glock 26. Even my favorite .22cal pistol is an auto (Ruger Mark IV Lite)... :)

P.S. - don't get me wrong "SIXGUNS" are great, they're still a viable platform and I like looking at them at the my LGS, but I can never figure out where you insert the magazine... :O

UP-DATE: I remembered today that I do still own two snub-nose revolvers (don't shoot or carry them much anymore) -- I have a S&W J-frame 642 and I have a Ruger LCR-22 (8-shot .22 cal) -- so my favorite revolver barrel length is 1 7/8"... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:15 pm .

Of the choices offered... 4 5/8". Without question.

:)
+1
Although, my new-2-me 19-4 is a 6"....Haven't worked with it to tell if I really like it or not.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Favorite? 4 3/4

What do I shoot the best? 7.5

FP
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

My town carry - s&w model 60 - 3 inch
My woods carry S&W model 28 - 4 inch
Fun time - ruger black hawk 4 5/8 - no transfer bar. 1966 era.

All 357.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

As much as I like shooting and carrying my 4 5/8" 45 Colt Blackhawk I would hate to shoot my 30 Carbine Blackhawk with less than it's 7 1/2". Depends on caliber.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Although not my most favorite, on of the most handiest sixguns I own is my S & W 25-5 4". Fits in my back pocket very nice.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

In the Colt SAA I like both 4 3/4" and 7 1/2". In Ruger the 4 5/8" is the winner.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

J Miller wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:23 pm Although not my most favorite, on of the most handiest sixguns I own is my S & W 25-2 4". Fits in my back pocket very nice.

Joe
J, I must agree that an N frame in the back pocket is a good thing. My fave is a 1917 chopped to 3 1/2" and nickeled. I use full moons with 200 grain SWCs and have a shoulder rig and IWB for it. Very comforting companion.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

Larkbill wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:49 pm As much as I like shooting and carrying my 4 5/8" 45 Colt Blackhawk I would hate to shoot my 30 Carbine Blackhawk with less than it's 7 1/2". Depends on caliber.
Preferred barrel length for me also depends on caliber. In a single action,

I’d prefer a 7-1/2” barrel for 44 Mag; 6-1/2” for .41 Mag; 5-1/2” to 6-1/2” for .357 Mag; 4-1/2” to 5-1/2” for anything less. I’d drop an inch in each when thinking about a double action.

I’ve never fired a .30 carbine, but from what I’ve heard, I’d probably agree with Larkin.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It all depends on what I am doing, but my 4 5/8 inch Blackhawk in .45 Colt is well balanced, easy to carry, and more accurate than I am. It is useful in most activities. A 325 grain bullet at 900 fps muzzle velocity will put a nice hole all the way through most things. My Super Blackhawk with the 7 1/2 inch barrel is great for hunting. At the range it is good for about a 3/4 inch grouping at 25 yards in my hands. Probably much better with someone who is a better shot. The longer barrel is enough to get in the way when I sit down, and I have a cross body holster for it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

anywhere around 6" for me, calibres being 357
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The purpose of a handgun is for easier packing than carrying a long gun around. I have owned every barrel length. A few 8 3/8" Smiths and own a T/C Contender. I also own a couple 6 1/2" N frame smiths and a 7 1/2" colt SAA. None have been fired in the last 30 years or so! Fine if your thing is handgun hunting but I haven't in many years. Anymore I either carry just a pocket pistol or a 3" or 4" holstered revolver. And that is mostly when we trail ride in our RZR . I built up a collection of about 30 fine classic revolvers in all barrel lengths circa 30-40 years ago. Mostly Smiths, a few colts and rugers.
I have been the full circuit over the years on barrel lengths, target grips, sevice grips adjustable sights, fixed sights and a scope. I estimate I have owned well over a 100 handguns that have come and gone. Outside of pocket pistols and as far as packing a holstered handgun, I like a 3" to 4" handgun with the less bulky service grips. I like a 3" model 36 S&W as it is light and concealable under my shirt, on the trails it`s a 4" S&W M&P, 4" Colt Troopers and a 3" S&W 66-3. I own more expensive and rarer guns too but these get carried and the others are mostly safe queens.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

The old S&W M&P and a Colt Trooper
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

These are probably my finest smiths. A model 27-2 and a model 29-2. Both have 5" barrels. I used to mainly pack one or the other many years ago in the field but haven't in years as they are noticeably needlessly heavier.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am a .44 special fan. If I want to carry a larger caliber in the field it`s now this 4" S&W model 24-3. It`s noticeably lighter and less bulky to pack than the model 29-2 in .44 mag. In the real world it will do the same for me. It has the pencil barrel that is lighter than the straight heavier barrel, I use service style grips and the cylinder is shorter. All that makes it lighter and more of a "sweetheart" to pack.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

These are all .44 specials. I have been carrying the top left one the most on trail rides as it is well used and banged up. Saves the safe queens. I had it converted from 38/44 to .44 special many years ago. I found a model 21 barrel (.44 special) and swapped barrels and had the cylinder reamed. The model 20 and the 21 were the same gun except for caliber.
ChuteTheMall
Levergunner

Post by ChuteTheMall »

It has to be over 5 inches long; that's what she said.