Finally Got A Miroku Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Finally Got A Miroku Winchester

Post by Rube Burrows »

Well I finally picked myself up a new Miroku this past week. I got a Winchester 1873 in .45 Colt with the 20" round barrel in the short rifle configuration. Right off top I can say that I am impressed with the fit and finish of this rifle. Very well made. Much better straight out of the box than any of my Uberti Rifles.

I had been looking for the Color Case Hardened version but wanted to see the rifle that I was getting because I noticed that the factory CCH varies so much. We don't have any gun shops around here that stock them so I can see what I am buying. I would have to order it blindly and did not want to get stuck with a poor looking watered down CCH finish. I kept going back and fourth on it. One day I would decide to order one and then I would change my mind at the last second.

I finally decided that I would put a feeler out to see if anyone had one locally on a local gun group. One guy had one locally that he had just purchased to use in cowboy action with a buddy but his buddy got stationed somewhere else so he sold the gun to me unfired for much much less than a new one so I ended up with the blued version and I am more and more impressed with the blued version now that I have it in my hand.

That said, I know a thread is worthless with out photos so I did a little photo shoot with it today since the weather was too bad to shoot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Finally Got A Miroku Winchester

Post by Rube Burrows »

Couple more. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Rube, hope she shoots as good as she looks, bro!

8)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The 73 is my favourite leveraction, I'm sure you will get years of pleasure from your Miroku Winchester, congratulations..... :mrgreen:
Nice photos, I like the wood on your scattergun too.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You're going to love that rifle! Mine is a SRC in 44-40 and I have an old one from 1895 that is almost identical. Only difference I can find is a pin through the forearm band instead of a screw on the old one. I have 2 Ubertis and the 2 Winchesters. They're all good.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks ya'll.

I have a couple Uberti rifle also and I am def. not knocking them. I was just impressed with the fit and finish of the Miroku. Also, the lever throw is a good bit shorter on the Miroku than the Uberti. Its also a little slicker although the last half inch when bringing the lever back in is a little tough on this one. Prob takes 15lbs of force to close the lever all the way and depress the safety. I hope that it loosens up but I am not sure.

On my Uberti there is a little room between the front toggle link and the frame. The Miroku touches the frame there and requires extra force to close it.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You may have to thin the spring on that lever safety to get it down to where you can't feel it. I used the top pulley of my little belt sander to get the radius I wanted and narrowed it till it felt the way I wanted. Check the SASS Chronicles for a set of lever springs that will make it a lot smoother feeling.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice find.
It is not the critic who counts
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ya done well young man! While I'm known not to care for foreign guns I will admit nobody makes as fine and dependable gun as the japs. The Winchester gods may kill me on this but..the jap guns will outlast and are obviously stronger than the originals.......and I'm regularly shooting ones made in the 1880's and they keep running.

Good luck and let us know how they shoot...have any idea what twist they have?-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had my eye on the '73 short rifle in .357......but, I have a Henry Big Boy "shines in the dark brass" in .357 that I was gifted.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sevastopol
Levergunner

Post by Sevastopol »

I recently picked one up in. 357. 24" octagonal barrel, color case hardened, has a slight pistol grip. A beauty.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:36 pm Ya done well young man! While I'm known not to care for foreign guns I will admit nobody makes as fine and dependable gun as the japs. The Winchester gods may kill me on this but..the jap guns will outlast and are obviously stronger than the originals.......and I'm regularly shooting ones made in the 1880's and they keep running.

Good luck and let us know how they shoot...have any idea what twist they have?-----6
Shows a 1-26" twist barrel on the site.