Are Benchmade Knives Worth The Price?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Are Benchmade Knives Worth The Price?

Post by Blaine »

My SOGs and Cold Steel and Schrade/Old Timers sure seem about as decent as one would like and are affordable. What's special about Benchmade?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Are Benchmade Knives Worth The Price?

Post by Tycer »

Axis lock system. It gets stronger as it wears. I use my bright yellow mini griptilian all day. I have never had the axis close on me accidentally. I’ve cut myself badly with both lockback and tablock knives folding on me.

But the steels are as labeled and the fit and finish are on par with those you mentioned. I have about a dozen Benchmades and have compared them to my friends’ knives of other makes and see no magic in mine.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Tycer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:42 pm Axis lock system. It gets stronger as it wears. I use my bright yellow mini griptilian all day. I have never had the axis close on me accidentally. I’ve cut myself badly with both lockback and tablock knives folding on me.

But the steels are as labeled and the fit and finish are on par with those you mentioned. I have about a dozen Benchmades and have compared them to my friends’ knives of other makes and see no magic in mine.
I had heretofore not heard of the special lock they have. I've cut myself a few times on non-locking folders, and kitchen knives, but not my EDCs that lock with the old style lock. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a gently priced used one.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When Benchmade first hit the market they were using ATS34 steel. It was difficult to get an edge on it. I had bought one on advice of a friend, sent it back twice because it SUCKED for staying sharp. I lost it on a job site and was never happier to be rid of it.
I have been carrying a Ken Onion series Kershaw for years and have been very happy. I also have a Cold Steel that is fantastic at holding an edge.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I’ve carried a Browning black label for years. Fantastic knives BUT my benchmade is superb
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of the best and toughest knives I've had were very cheap.

A little Imperial brand sheath (nonfolder) knife I paid $10.00 for and got change back was extremely tough, took and held a great edge, but had a cheap-looking Bakelite or some such handle. When they cracked after I dropped a wood-maul on them, I made new ones out of a chunk of hatchet handle.

Now a folding knife needs some proper design and building, but it isn't like the technology is new. I've had ones of various prices that locked up firmly, opened smoothly, and held an edge. The pricey ones mostly just looked nicer.

I think that when it comes to knives, there is a basic level of function that isn't hard to get to (just need decent steel, and if it folds a sturdy locking design). Then above that, there is 'ergonomics' (again, fairly basic, but important), then above that is the classiness or appearance. It is the last category that can cost some serious money to buy, although I've seen many a home-made knife with tons of class, that we're very basic designs.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Have used Benchmade knives within my LE duties, really good knives, lock, rugged, well-made, holds its edge, quick opener, Military--LEO--First Responder tested and approved. For me I only carry Sydeco, an old Camillus US knife in my uniform pants, and I have a MORA knife in my LE "go bag" for the last 10-years, like them better...in the end all of the knives that have been mentioned are all good... :)
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Knives, like ammo, firearms, scopes, hand tools and a few other things have come a long way in my lifetime (50 years). The low end of the price spectrum now compares pretty well with mid to high end of the spectrum 50 years ago.

Take the ratchet set available from Harbor Freight now and compare it to Craftsmen set from 1970. The Craftsmen set is still a little better but not much. And considering that Craftsmen set cost 3X as much (adjusted for inflation) there is pretty good value to be had in that Harbor Freight set we (me included) all turn up our nose at.

Scopes are an even more obvious improvement. The low end scopes ($50 or so) today are superior in every way to the top end scopes from 1990, let alone going back to 1970. Ditto flashlights …… $10, 588 Lumen Harbor Freight flashlight is much better then the 1990 XMas gift 5 D Cell mag light that I have that my in laws probably paid $25 for then.

Even 1911 handguns now are better now. A 1970 1911 would probably need lot of tweaking to be 'In Harms way' ready but today? Even moderately priced 1911s are super reliable out of the box. And probably more accurate. Ditto rifles … a current production Savage 110 out of the box will out shoot almost anything produced in the 1970s as it came from the factory. Remember when the only way to get good match grade ammo was to make it yourself? Now …… pffft. These days we reload for economy or to produce something the factory won't or just because we want to.

All this long diatribe is to make the point that metallurgy and production have come along way. Even inexpensive $15 knives are just about as good as most of us ever need them to be these days. Decades ago cheap knives were almost worthless. Now? They are pretty darn good in comparison You can spend more and get a better product but are you going to test that item to extent the difference is noticeable? I edc a S35 steel knife from LAPG that goes for $40 ( https://lapolicegear.com/lapg-kn-tbfk-0 ... s35vn.html) and not ever had it let me down (4 or 5 years now). Are there better knives out there? Sure are. Would I appreciate the difference if I bought one? Well probably not because I have yet to find a problem this knife failed to solve.

Anyway that's how I see it. I certainly appreciate the old stuff, one look around my home would tell you that, but I'm realistic about it. We just build better stuff today and we do it with better materials and adjusted for inflation it gets to consumers for less then they used to charge.

Wm
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I live within a 10 mile radius of Kershaw(Kai), Gerber, Benchmade, CRKT, Leatherman, etc. They ALL make good products.

I prefer Benchmade. The ones I have "fit" me and fill their purpose. I can drive up to Oregon City and drop it off when it needs sharpening or service. They will sharpen and replace everything, but the blade and grips, for free. They will ship it to me for free, but I choose to just pick it up. Usual turnaround is 3 days.

I find the price to value great.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

CobraTec otf style with D2 steel blade. No need for such a thing, but it is fun. It opens cardboard boxes like a razor. Another good one for my needs is Opinel. I have never felt the need for a knife for fighting. I have a Kershaw Leek that would be with me if I felt the need. It is small, light, pointy, and sharpens up like a Mora. Mora is the only brand I know of which I can sharpen to where a sheet of paper dropped on it will slice into 2 pieces as it drops. The Leek will get that sharp, but doesn't hold the edge as tenaciously as a Mora.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Is a $150 knife better than a $15 knife? Yes, by some measures, and it darned well should be. But here's the thing -- eventually I lose a knife, whether it cost me 15 or 150. I cry a whole lot less when the cheap one goes missing. And, for 1/3 the cost of one Benchmade I can have 3 or 4 Gerbers, Schrades, etc., so if one breaks or is lost I have an immediate replacement.

I have a Benchmade that was gifted to me, and now and again I will carry it. But for everyday and rough use, the cheapies are my choice.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

With regard to steels on knives used hard, 154CM is my fav. S30v and D2 are nice but a bit brittle for my use. 154CM will roll an edge rather than chip. Straighten right out with a steel. Easy to sharpen too. My 2¢ On cheaper knives, 440c is great. The Boker Stockmen 440c can be bought on fleabay for less than $10 shipped. They take a great edge.
Last edited by Tycer on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
goldstar225
Levergunner

Post by goldstar225 »

Are they worth the price? Compared to less expensive knives? Well yes, sorta IMO. I have a Benchmade 710 that I carried for 20 years of my LEO career. Liked the Axis lock but the blade was difficult to get a good edge on (I do my own sharpening). I have a mini-griptilian that's my EDC also with the axis lock. Somewhat easier to sharpen and holds the edge well. My favorite feature on both is the axis lock.

I have to say that my favorites have been the USA made Schrade Uncle Henry's and my Cold Steel Master Hunter for the quality of their blades. Gerber also makes good knives. I've been intending to get a couple of Mora's and try them out.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When I'm hanging around the house, which is about 99.99% of the time, only two things go in my jeans pockets.....a Leatherman Wave in the left pocket, and a Benchmade Automatic in my right...the exact model the SEALS use. For everytime I stone the Benchmade, I stone the Leatherman 10 times...no joking, To me, a Leatherman is as important as my belt but are worthless for holding an edge.....the Benchmade cuts like a new razor.---The Count

Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well to start with US Special Forces are issued Benchmade knives. My son in law was issued one when he was a Seal team member. When he was in town visiting we went out to Benchmade in Oregon City, and they did a check up and maintenance for his. They warranty their knives forever, and repair, replace, and sharpen them whenever the owner brings or sends them in. Free shipping back to the owner too.

I personally carry a Cutco knife. My Cutco is the same warranty, and they also will sharpen it for free for life, regardless of who owns it, or whether they were the first or the fiftieth owner. My Cutco was $90, and that's about $40-$50 cheaper than the Benchmade.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I use the heck out of work knives Buck, schrade, old timer, Benchmade you name it. Take care of them and they’ll all hold up well. I tend to either loose them or give them to someone who needs it more than me

Let me let you in on a something i’ve found recently. Milwaukee (yea the tool folks) have a number of folders that hold an edge and are strong as heck. They aren’t exactly svelte and the bright red handles aren’t unobtrusive, but for a work knife they are fantastic.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I have a 705 I bought in the early 2000s. I got half off at a gun store sale, about $80. It has the axis lock, 154CM black coated half serrated blade, and G10 scales. I chipped a little bit of the tip prying and reshaped it with a stone. Other than a little wear of the black coating on the edges and scratches on the clip, it looks new. I love the lock and G10 is tough. Well worth the money to me and I've always been a Buck or Schrade type of guy. I have a couple of Cold Steel fixed blades too and think they're excellent for their purpose. I don't lose knives and have some from my childhood. Nothing wrong with paying for quality if you can afford it and want it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm When I'm hanging around the house, which is about 99.99% of the time, only two things go in my jeans pockets.....a Leatherman Wave in the left pocket, and a Benchmade Automatic in my right...the exact model the SEALS use. For everytime I stone the Benchmade, I stone the Leatherman 10 times...no joking, To me, a Leatherman is as important as my belt but are worthless for holding an edge.....the Benchmade cuts like a new razor.---The Count

My pop used to work for the Federal Government . Anyway after he retired a coworker came down one day and gave the old man one just like yours NIB , then he turned around handed me one NIB as well our tax dollars at work LOL’s .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I hear ya 6 Point...on our cost conscience government.........there is a huge mark up on Benchmade ...MSRP vs. dealer cost. Mine now lists for somewhere around $240 and I know the wholesale is half that.

Ive used them all and ya know what? Some of those $5 Chinese knives they sell at my local gunshop are just as sharp and almost as edge holding as a knife costing 50 times as much...and you don't give a pelosi if you lose it.---6
Model A Uzi’s
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 am I hear ya 6 Point...on our cost conscience government.........there is a huge mark up on Benchmade ...MSRP vs. dealer cost. Mine now lists for somewhere around $240 and I know the wholesale is half that.

Ive used them all and ya know what? Some of those $5 Chinese knives they sell at my local gunshop are just as sharp and almost as edge holding as a knife costing 50 times as much...and you don't give a pelosi if you lose it.---6
I was hung up on CaseXX for awhile then Buck and Kershaw . Later Marbles new and old held my attention . Now in my hunting pack I carry a Kershaw folder a Gerber folder a Buck folder and a Schrade Sharpfinger . In my pocket I carry one of two or three Buck pocket knives I bought used from s guy liquidating his fathers stuff , the guy had been a long haul trucker and bought tons of pocket knives and when they came to us they showed very little use think I bought five of them .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jdad wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:45 pm I live within a 10 mile radius of Kershaw(Kai),
In 1977 I was a sophomore in high school and that was when I first became aware of Kershaw . J&G Rifle Ranch in Prescott AZ had them priced right in Shotgun News and I bought two straight blade sheath knives they are the type with a finger cut out in front the guard and drop point , they’re both the same design just in different size the smaller one was $20 and the larger was $22 plus $2 to ship . I’ve used the smaller one A LOT probably gutted 150 deer and skinned more then that , the bigger one I use very seldom . The sheaths have some wear but neither knife shows much wear and the little one gets sharpened on my wet rock several times during the season . They made this same basic design in a folder later but I never got one before they stopped making them , about three years ago someone brought one of the folders in like new but without the sheath , got it for $40 and was quite happy .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, at least for one tester Benchmade M4 steel has outperformed everything he has tested in edge holding of hair shaving sharpness.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm When I'm hanging around the house, which is about 99.99% of the time, only two things go in my jeans pockets.....a Leatherman Wave in the left pocket, and a Benchmade Automatic in my right...the exact model the SEALS use. For everytime I stone the Benchmade, I stone the Leatherman 10 times...no joking, To me, a Leatherman is as important as my belt but are worthless for holding an edge.....the Benchmade cuts like a new razor.---The Count

I have a Leatherman, a SOG, and a small Gerber for multi-tools...the SOG, IME, has better steel in them.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Top one is my bbq knife CPM-S30V, a440c, my wife’s 154cm, and a black bladed D2. The cracked scale happened on a lake weekend opening beers for everyone.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

To me they are only worth it if you are left handed. CRKT, Schatt Morgan, Queen Cutlery are good picks.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Marvin S wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am To me they are only worth it if you are left handed.
You noticed.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Tycer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:25 pm
Marvin S wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am To me they are only worth it if you are left handed.
You noticed.
It’s the reason I use a mini griptilian. Easy one hand open and close with a reverse able clip.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I know this is mostly a folder discussion, but if you want/need a fixed blade knife get a Mora, for 8, to 15 bucks you basically have a fixed blade scalpel, I get the carbon steel models, stays sharp, easy to re sharpen and if you lose it, no big loss. I have about 6 of them here, I have one in my hunting pack that has gone through 6 deer without a touch up.
Id wear one on my belt full time, but folks here are a little too anxious about that stuff. I do have a variety of folders, not fond of any of them, but they mostly get what needs cut, cut.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If you want an actual scalpel take a look Havalon. It’s uses replaceable scalpel blades. Excellent for fine cutting.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

The Havalons and other replaceable scalpel type knives are great for fine work, skinning etc, but they cant take much abuse, work around bones, through joints etc. They are sharp though!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

BlaineG wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 pm My SOGs and Cold Steel and Schrade/Old Timers sure seem about as decent as one would like and are affordable. What's special about Benchmade?
I think they'd done an excellent job of marking to the "tactical" crowd. For my own use, I can't see paying those prices.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I own 4 Benchmade's, are they worth the money? Sort of. Some of them can be, some not IMO. :D
I've been on the fence about buying another the last couple weeks. lol
That doesn't sound like a definitive answer, but it's accurate. :D

(I've owned two Emerson's, which are more money and I don't thinking they're worth the asking price.)

ETA: Took a quick phone pic. Two Stryker's on the left.They look better in this photo than in real life. lol The yellow one is a River/Rescue (or whatever they called it). The one on the right it the original non folding River Rescue. I carried that for years at work doing all sorts of horrible things to it, things you're never supposed to do with I knife. Prying, chiseling, scraping, hammering, "batoning" with it (hitting it with a hammer in my case), using it as a screwdriver... day in and day out for years.

Slow is just slow.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pmI have been carrying a Ken Onion series Kershaw for years and have been very happy.
+1!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

It's sorta like asking if a Freedom Arms is worth four Rugers. Check them out and decide for yourself
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I can't vouch for Benchmade. I know I've never had a USA made Buck fail me. My EDC is a German made Puma made like a trimmer Buck 110. I do have a Mora that I think I paid %6 for that has the best steel of any knife I've ever owned.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Honestly, this is my most-used knife...
Screenshot_2019-01-20-17-38-20-1.png
https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-Blade-F ... e/50111406\\

It has the three main categories I use:

a) a decent serrated-blade - it is the most practical for everything
b) a disposable 'razor' blade - it allows me to cut tough stuff that will destroy ANY 'high-quality' blade...
c) a 'regular' straight blade - decent enough for rope, deer-hide, and so-on...

What else is out there....????

a) a hacker - like a USMC machete, or any of the generic heavy-blade 'machete' types
b) a precision 'shaving blade' for if/when you need that precision

The $10 Lowes 'Kobalt' does most of what I need...

Kind of like:

- a Honda Civic (best mileage and reliability, regardless of 'status''...)
- a Glock 9mm (best for defense and reliability, regardless of 'status'...)
- a ParaOrdnance 45 ACP double-stack (best for defense and reliability, regardless of 'status'...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I used to have a Honda Civic. I spent more on mechanics with that car than all my other cars together. My wife was adamant that we keep it because it was reliable. $20,000 per year on fixing it. 4 engines, 6 transmissions, and 21 wiring harnesses in 5 years.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow....had a Cougar like that....did fine until it got a 'computer' problem, from then on everything electric messed up, and the car guy said the wiring harness was way different than the factory specs (wrong wire colors and so on) so it was probably farmed out overseas.

Anyhow I do like the little Kobalt knife cuz I can use the razor blade cutting stuff like tar-paper that I don't want to have to clean off a blade, or use it if I have to cut against a stone or metal backing.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As far as edgeholding for any blade, the heat treatment is a major factor. Usually, but not always, a good heat treatment will cost you more. With the more modern stainless steels with a bunch of ingredients, the heat treatment is more important. With plain high carbon such as 1095, the heat treatment is pretty easy. There was a blacksmith about 70 years ago who figured out a method of keeping knife at a temperature after the quench which allowed for an alignment process which has left some blades with nearly unbelievable properties. At around 52 Rockwell C scale they hold an edge even after being used to cut through old steel parts by being pounded on with a hammer. He made mostly kitchen knives and the people who have them refuse to part with them.

The best of the Japanese Katanas were great because of the process. The end result was a clean steel with practically no imperfections and a hardness that was appropriate to its purpose. They were also expensive because of the process.

I have never had a knife with the lock style used by Buck on the 110 folder fail me no matter what I was doing. Of course I am not going to drive the knife into a mountain and use it as a piton.
D. Brian Casady