Interesting Bear Releases

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Interesting Bear Releases

Post by Pete44ru »

There's a good reason Wardens no longer stand atop a bear catch drum to open the release gate.

This video shows why - with two different camera angles on the release two different Grizzly bears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrMmQHSA6Cs

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Interesting Bear Releases

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I always figured bears are like schizophrenic drunks. they are nice until they snap, literally and figuratively! They should have PETA peope there to talk to them so they stay calm and are shown they're being helped for their own good. :twisted: The last 2 bears show "they" are on top of the food chain. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

There is a place in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan called Oswald's bear ranch. If you're ever in that part of the country I recommend it.

Many of the bears there have been raised by hand by the staff …… and once they get a little size to them they are treated like the animals they are. They are not and never are 'pets'.

Wm
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Tried to make a post, but lost it somewhere, so I'll try again. The drugs they use to handle the bears (take blood, teeth/age, weigh, check for repeat offenses, chip or collar.....) make the bears very aggressive when they come around. Kind of like a bad hangover, plus something that puts them on the fight----like a human on meth or PPC. There was a guy killed several years ago from a bear that was drugged, just released and proper "caution" signs were not put up---this was near Wapiti, Wyoming---I believe the family filed a suit over it. The releases are a common deal here---if the grizzly is caught around town or someone's house/ranch, the bear will get "transplanted" and get another chance or maybe two before it's euthanized. A lot of them are back in areas where "they are not supposed to be" soon after the release.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Didn't know that about the tranquilizers, but it does make sense.

Wow, talk about mean drunks.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Can you skin gizz pilgrim ?
Just as fast as you can bring em!

Yep I say get piglosi a schmuck schumer there with a bunch of peta folks- poor bear would be covered in urine and fecal matter .

I was told by a biologist that it's the younger bears that cause the problems. 2-3 yr old boars that have the bad attitudes, mom has chased them off and they are trying to find their place.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What I'm amazed at is the agility and speed these animals have. I'm so used to watching movies where the grizzly slowly walks up to its victim and munches down. Sheeeeeeetttt....not like that in real life...in a flash they kill. Can't see where anybody would have time to draw and shoot.----The Count
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Most wild animals are much faster and stronger than humans pound for pound. Bears are at the top of the food chain in most places where they are to be found, and I am not wrestling one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

3leggedturtle wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:27 pm
The last 2 bears show "they" are on top of the food chain. Todd/3leg

Todd, if you look a little closer at the video, you should see that there are only two bears in the entire video.

(I had to re-run the video a few times myself, before I figured that out :roll: )

The 1st & 2nd bear views are the same bear, taken at the same time with 2 different cameras @ different angles.

Ditto for the 3rd & 4th bear views (the aggressive bear).

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

In the early 1970's when I was just a little fellow, the opening sequences of curt gowdy's saturday outdoor program showed a clip of a huge grizzly or brown charging into a herd of elk. The bear never wavered or was distracted by the panicking elk but kept focus on its target and speedily slew it with a crunch to the neck. Judging by the speed and earnestness of the kill, I don't think anything can outrun a grizz.
m.A.g.a. !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There may be animals which can get away, but those books which have stories about humans killing Grizzly Bears with just a knife sure seem to be a lot of BS after seeing what a real bear can do. It may be that a human or two got lucky, but I wouldn't want to take my chances with just a knife.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

piller wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:47 am There may be animals which can get away, but those books which have stories about humans killing Grizzly Bears with just a knife sure seem to be a lot of BS after seeing what a real bear can do. It may be that a human or two got lucky, but I wouldn't want to take my chances with just a knife.
+1

Only if I had no other choice, to keep from becoming dinner. :roll:

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

You would probably be tomorrows bear scat if you'd been standing on that second cage.
Most animals would probably bolt for the bush as soon as the door opens, maybe bears hold a grudge when you stir them up.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for posting
It is not the critic who counts